Bookworms | ✔

By Beauty4evar

Bibliophile - a person who collects or has a great love of books. * * * * Nicholas loves to read. It is his... More

zero
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty
sixty-one
sixty-two
sixty-three
sixty-four
sixty-six
sixty-seven
sixty-eight
sixty-nine
seventy
seventy-one
seventy-two
seventy-three
seventy-four
seventy-five
seventy-six
seventy-seven
epilogue
bonus - a doctor's hinderance
bonus - baby fever

sixty-five

4.9K 454 101
By Beauty4evar

Nicholas's eyes widened as he read the cover page of his former university's newspaper, his wife's name in bold. His eyes eagerly read the contents that caused an uproar on campus, making headlines in local and regional papers, the link to the article quickly being shared on social media and erupting into a fury of hashtags and retweets. 

Dina exposed those who abused their positions, men and women that took advantage of people in the eye of greed, people like his parents. Although she did not target anyone specifically, he knew part of the editorial stemmed from his interactions with them and the stories he told her.

In effortless elegance, Dina weaved the roars of injustice across blank, unwritten truths, carefully displaying America's superiority complex by using business as an example, a small note amongst a series of heartaches.

He admired his wife for her diligence to speak the truth when those around her sought to bury other under falsehood, shrouded by the sheer veil of lies and sticky smiles. Her narrative was more than just her story; it was another's as well. Being a student journalist did not limit her in the slightest. 

"Damn," he muttered, stroking his chin. Small hairs bristled against his fingertips. "You really didn't hold back."

Dina hit her head against the coffee table from her seated position on the floor, a curtain of black falling around her. He could have sworn that he saw the steam of her dissatisfaction arise from her empty breaths, a groan escaping her.  

She finally moved in with him since Elijah was off to be with his girlfriend in their new apartment together. Nicholas heard about the campus article that trashed the world of business, but he didn't really understand the situation till Dina grudgingly showed him her article as if she was ashamed. 

He chuckled from the couch, where he sat cross-legged. "You're overreacting," he said, smiling. "This is a really great editorial MashAllah (God has willed it). You should be proud of yourself instead of moping."

She lifted her head, brown eyes glaring daggers at him. "Proud?" she questioned, humorlessly. "This whole state is going to come after me for writing this. I'm going to be a villain because of my opinion."

His brows furrowed. "That makes zero sense. This is an editorial. Opinion is exactly the whole point of this type of article."

"Say it louder for the rest of the world. I don't think they heard you."

"Gladly."

"That was sarcasm, Nemo."

Nicholas rolled his eyes, knowing the stubbornness of Dina all too well. When she was infuriated, her sarcasm had no limits, finding dry humor in everything regardless of the situation. It was her coping mechanism, her way of making light of failure, or in this case criticism. 

There was nothing wrong with Dina's article, facts shadowed every sentence, statistics followed every punctuation, and her writing styles weaved through the gaps, tying a fantasy of economics to the reality of corporations. Instead of wallowing in her own dissatisfaction, she chose to make a difference, and in return she was punished for it. 

"How did the students take it?" he asked, bringing his coffee cup to his lips. "I'm assuming they were livid."

"How did you know?" she smiled so sweetly that it felt bitter. 

He winced. "Easy, there."

"I can't believe they got so angry with me. I wrote it for the school's paper, nothing more, and it's not like I was going after certain CEOs or anything. Shouldn't they be praising me for speaking out about power abuse?" 

"They should," agreed Nicholas.

She rested her chin on the table, lips formed in an adorable pout like a child denied candy for dessert. "Then why aren't they?" she asked, voice softer than a whisper. 

Nicholas put his mug back on the table, sighing deeply as his mind raced to find any way to ease her qualms. Part of the public backlash came from the strength of her words resonating in the hearts of many. These were people who strived to be just like many of the people she mentioned briefly. 

How do I help an angered woman? It seems like a death sentence, he thought. But she's my wife.

Exhaling, he patted the empty spot beside him. "Come here," he politely offered. 

Dina obeyed, not putting up a fight like he expected. She stared up at him curiously, doe-like eyes scanning his expression for an answer, a relief. The dark brown lured him, casting her spell of innocence across his helpless form, mystical and slow. With one look, she had him ensnared in her breathtaking beauty. 

She deadpanned. "Earth to Nemo," waved Dina in front of him. "We kind of have an emergency. I know I'm awesome, but there's a time and place for everything."

Busted.

"Right." He cleared his throat. "Dina, tell me what's really bothering you?"

"I did." She crossed her arms, eyes burning with a flame that could not be extinguished, blazing and hot. "Maybe you weren't listening when I told you that the state is going insane because of me."

Patience, buddy. She's having a rough day. 

"So, it's the criticism?" he gathered. Nicholas tapped his chin, wondering how such a vibrant student could get offended by a few insults. She heard many for different reasons, but for some reason this one affected her the most. An idea popped into his head like a light bulb. "Or is it because you were trying to help me and thought you failed?"

She froze, harsh resolve dissolving as the mask of poise and annoyance slipped off. Her eyes widened like a deer in headlights being caught and torn all at once, fear outlining her gentle features, wild and lost. The gold of her skin seemed paler, no longer a sun's embrace but rather a winter's kiss. 

He was right. 

Gathering her in his arms, he lifted her onto his lap, cuddling his beloved wife close to his chest. The initial shock wore off, and she slowly relaxed into his touch, following the heartbeat like a relaxing rhythm to her inner turmoil. Nicholas felt her composure shredding into pieces, but between them there was no mental barrier, no resistance. He read her like a book.

"I know it's hard right now," he whispered into her ear, brushing his lips against her cheek. "What those people said about you isn't true. You're immensely talented MashAllah (God has willed it), and I'm so damn lucky to even have you as a wife."

"But I didn't help you," she whimpered, clinging to his neck. "I just made it worse."

"No, sweetheart. You made everything better."

"How?"

"By doing what others didn't have the guts to do," he smiled. "You can't see it now, but soon your article will really sink in. This is just the initial reaction without the analysis. Trust me when I say that you're a diamond in the rough."

Dina didn't move, nor did she speak. Like a wounded soldier, she rested her grievances against him, lips trembling like the roaring fear of rejection from her line of work. All Nicholas could do was ride the emotions with her, easing her tension with his murmurs of ardor. 

----

This internship is depressing me out. One of my coworkers is really harsh, so I've been pushing through day to day. It's been rough.

Still wrote this chapter though :3 I think it's okay, but Dina is literally a mood. 

You think Nicholas's father is gonna see the article?

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 84 8
A TALE OF ACCEPTANCE OF IMPERFECTIONS. ______________________________________ She loved him but not anymore. He never loved her but he is falling for...
284K 10.7K 48
What's the problem? The issue is when a chubby girl meets with a devil heartless guy for the first time in school, he uses her as he wants. Pushes h...
99.1K 4.4K 45
She knew this bus wasn't going to bring her to school today. She was afraid and scared that she would have to face this day. But it all happened and...
727K 47.6K 39
[Highest ranking: #1 in Spiritual on 15/8/18] ••• • In which a girl saved a boy's life in the most unexpected of circumstances • She drank water. He...