Endless Love

By Somesunshine1

This is the third and final book of my Gelphie series Endless Love. Elphaba has regained her memories, and no... More

A New Beginning
Glinda's Garden
What Happened at the Gazebo
Fallout
Alone
An Unexpected Trip
The Emerald Palace
A Visit From Jake
A Run in with an Ex
Caught in the Act
An Explanation for Lerena
Admitting Mistakes and Asking Forgiveness
A Surprise for Elphaba
Reunited
Highmuster
Good News!
Waking Glinda
A Night on the Town
Glinda's Request
Shopping and Lunch
Panicked!
An Anonymous Letter
Misunderstanding and Confusion
Are We Still Together?
The Last Straw
Regretting What Was Said
Never Gonna Let You Go
Forkroot
Tea Time
Seeking Permission
Persistent
Masquerade Preparations
Masquerade
Secret Meetings
Surprise Proposal
Witness to Love
Blast From the Past
Discussing the Party
Telling the Parents
Embarrassed
Choosing a Season
Let the Planning Begin
Finding the Perfect Gown
Dressage and Dresses
Uncomfortable Experiences
Dodging Glinda
Bridal Shower.... No!
A Restless Night
Changed Plan
Unexpected Guests and a Gift
A Father's Memories

Like a Daughter

296 10 9
By Somesunshine1

(Elphaba's POV)

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping and the early morning rays of the sun just starting to shine through the window. Smiling I sit up and stretch before getting out of bed. It's going to be a beautiful day!

Making my way over to the wardrobe I pick out a simple black skirt,  white short-sleeve blouse, and a pair of sandals. After placing my hair in a braid I make my way downstairs to the dining room.

"Good morning Highmuster." I say smiling as I take my seat.

"Good morning, Elphaba, and how are you this fine morning?" He says looking up from the newspaper he was reading and smiles.

"Very well, thank you. How are you?" I serve myself some fresh fruit and toast.

"I'm also doing well." He says setting the newspaper aside. "So tell me aside from meeting with Cook what do you have planned for today?"

"I am not sure. I figured I would just sort of see what happens." I smile. "You know, see what the day brings. If it's a nice day perhaps I'll go for a walk or maybe try and ride a horse. You know I haven't ridden one before."

"Really? Never?" Highmuster looks surprised and a bit shocked.

"Nope. Never." I cackle a little.

"I can tell you one thing for sure. You had better learn. Glinda loves riding, and is really good at it." He says a hint of pride in his voice.

"I noticed. She has been a few times." I take a sip of coffee. "She has tried to ask me to ride with her, but stopped asking after the third time I told her I don't know."

"I'm surprised she didn't teach you."

"So am I, but I figured I can try to learn. It will be a few days before they return, and I figured it would be a nice surprise for her if I started to learn." I shrug.

"Well, I can tell you that Jake is the best teacher when it comes to riding, and I'm sure he would be happy to teach you."

"I am hoping he will " I laugh and we continue our breakfast in relative silence. As we finished up one of the quintuplets enters.  "Excuse me, Master Upland. Miss Thropp. I'm sorry to interrupt, but Cook asked me to inform you, Miss Thropp, that she wishes to have you meet her in her room in the servants quarters as soon as you are through with breakfast."  She says looking between the two of us.

"Thank you Cassidy." Highmuster says giving her nod. "I for one am finished. I have some work to attend to." He says rising from his seat.

I stand as well. "Thank you, Cassidy. Would you please inform Cook I will be there shortly."

"Yes, Ma'am." She says giving a quick curtsy before she leaves the room. "I suppose I should find out what it is Cook wants to see me about, but first I am going to ask Jake if he would mind reaching me to ride."

"Sounds like a good plan." Highmuster says and pats my shoulder. "Have a good day, and good luck with Cook and riding lessons."

"Thank you, and you have a good day as well." I say as we both exit room and begin towards the servants quarters.

(Cook's POV)

I look at the trunk that Jake had brought down to my room. It has been many years since I have opened it, and I smile. Oh how I had longed to be able to have this chance, and thanks to Elphaba I will, hopefully.

A quiet knock pulls me out of my thoughts. I turn and open the door giving Elphaba a smile. "Hello Elphaba. Please come in."

"Hello. How are you this morning?" She says returning my smile.

"Very well, deary. Now I am sure you wonder what I wanted to see you about, and how it is related to helping you find a gown for your wedding." I state more than question as I decide not to beat around the bush, and get right to the point.

"Well, yes, of course." Elphaba nods. "I was wondering, and I'm assuming you plan to tell me."

"I do, but first I want to share something with you. Please sit down." I motion for her to take a chair near the fireplace, and as she sits I begin. "Many years ago I was married to the man of my dreams, Jacob. He was a farmer and worked hard to make sure I had everything I could ever want or need. I really only wanted and needed him.

After a year or so we decided we wanted to have children. It wasn't long before I found out I was pregnant. We were so excited and worked hard to get everything ready, and that winter our son was born. We named him Everett, and boy was he a handful!"

Elphaba chuckles a little at this. "Aren't most little boys? I remember my brother Shell had been quite a handful as well. It was my responsibility to keep him out of trouble as well as take care of Nessarose." I see a sadness flicker in her eyes when she speaks of her sister and brother, and I can tell she loved them. "Please go on. I didn't mean to interrupt."

"It's no problem, dear, " I say giving her a comforting smile, and continue. "When Everett was about fifteen months old I have birth to another son, Fletcher, and his twin sister, Sarabeth. We were thrilled!

The three of them were close, and not just age wise, but family bond wise as well. Besides the bonds of siblings they were the best of friends. Everett and Fletcher protected Sarabeth from anything and anyone who tried to hurt her. Life was perfect, and my husband and I couldn't have been more proud."  Elphaba remains silent and just smiles.

"Then when the twins had turned twelve our world was turned upside down. War broke out in our land and it was decreed that every eligible make thirteen and over must join the military. That meant Jacob and Everett had to go. They had two days from the time the law was given to check in at the militia headquarters. Unfortunately, that meant we had just hours together before they had to leave.

Fletcher swore to his father and brother he would protect Sarabeth and myself, and be the man of the house. Sarabeth was distraught at having to say goodbye to her brother and father, and as Jacob and Everett rode off we stood and watched unit they were out of sight.

I prayed daily that the war would end soon and they would return to us, but it was not so. We lived for the letters from Jaboc of Everett. They had begun being stationed together, but then Everett was sent to the front and Jacob sent to the far Western side of country.

All too soon it seemed Fletcher turned thirteen, and because the war was still ongoing he too had to go to the fight. The day he left Sarabeth changed. She had become sick, and convinced she would never see her twin brother again. It broke my heart to see her so upset.

The letters continued to come, and we continued to wait for them as we always had. We also continued to try to keep up the farm. It was a struggle as we had no men or boys to help with the field work or the mending of fences, but we learned and worked and pulled together to make it work.

We lived day to day, week to week for the letters from Jacob, Everett, and Fletcher. Then the letters stopped. Months passed with no word from them, and then one day we received a letter that had the seal of the Wizard and was brought by a guard.. I knew without even opening something was wrong. One of my boys or my Jacob was dead. Unable to take the letter, let alone read it, Sarabeth took it and slowly opened it, and after the guard left we went inside and sat down.

For several long minutes neither of us moves. We sat there staring at the letter. Eventually I opened it, hand trembling as I unfolded the letter."

At this time I open the trunk that is sitting on the bed and take out a faded yellow envelope. I can feel Elphaba's eyes on me. I turn and hand her the envelope. "Open it, and go ahead read it."

"Are you sure?" She asks hesitantly taking it from me when I nod. "O-okay." She says opening it.

"Read it out loud please."

She clears her throat, and in a quiet voice begins to read:

Dear Lady Wellington,

It is with great regret and sympathy that I write to inform you of the death of your sons, Everett and Fletcher Wellington. They died in a gun battle freeing the lives of innocent children who were being taken as slaves to the kingdoms of the far south.

On behave of King Aaron, I would like to convey my deepest words of sympathy to you, and I hope and pray that the Unnamed God will give you strength to bear these great personal losses.

With kind regards.

Sincerely,

Col. Dunkin Moore

Elphaba looks up from the letter her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "I am so sorry." She says her voice holds a quiver to it. "To lose not one but two children, I don't know what to say."

I give her a sad smile. "If only I had just lost my sons, but I lost Sarabeth then as well. She never was the same after that.

Sarabeth spent her days staring silently at  a picture of her brothers in their room. She never talked and barely ate. I grew more worried and no matter what I tried nothing helped her.

Then one day we were surprised to see a wagon pull up in front of the house. I went out to see who it was, and when I got closer I noticed a gentleman helping someone out who had a leg bandaged and an arm as well. It took me a moment to recognize who it was. It was Jacob. My Jacob had come home. He was broken but home.

Sarabeth came out a moment later and saw her father. She ran to him and cried. It was the first sign of emotion she had shine since the day we received that horrible letter.

My daughter got a little better with Jacob being home, but she still kept herself distanced from us. We hoped she would continue to get better, but sadly she didn't. On what would have been her and Fletcher's sixteenth birthday she went out for a walk in the woods. She didn't return.

Jacob went out looking for her and found her crumpled body on the banks of the river at the bottom of the waterfall. She had often climbed up there, and from what guessed she either slipped and fell or jumped. We never knew. All we knew was that all three of our children were dead."

Elphaba gasps her hand flying to cover her mouth. "I'm so sorry!" She says and a tear burns down her cheek that she quickly brushes away.

"It's okay, child. The sting of my children's passing has lessened some." I give her a small sad smile. "Jacob and I decided we couldn't stay in the country that took our children from us, and we packed our meager possessions and crossed the desert."

"What a minute, you aren't from Oz?" Elphaba sounds shocked and surprised, I shake my head as I answer. "No, I came here from the Land of Ev."

"I never would have guessed that. You do sound like you are native to Oz."

I chuckle. "I have lived here for many years and have worked for the Upland's since we arrived here. I am fortunate that I have always been able to cook and Jacob has always been a good farmer. We were both employed to work the Master and Lady Upland."

Her eyes widen. "Jake is your husband isn't he?" He asks excitedly.

"Yes, he is." I outright laugh at the look on her face.

She shakes her head, and brings things back to the main reason I called her there.  "I still am not sure what this has to do with my wedding."

"Well, Elphaba, it's like this, I had always hoped Sarabeth would wear my wedding gown, but as you know she never did." I smile and take the gown out of the trunk. "You have felt like family to me since you arrived, and I would love you to wear my gown."

(Elphaba's POV)

All I can do for a few moments is to stare shocked by not only all that Cook and Jake have been through, but to then be asked to wear her wedding gown. This is not at all what I expected. "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely! Elphaba, I have no daughter of my own anymore, and as I said you are like a daughter to me." She smiles lovingly at me.

I don't know what to do or say so I just go over to and hug her. After a moment I pull out of the hug and give her a warm smile. "I… I would be honored to wear your gown."

"Thank you, dear." She say gently patting my cheek, and I giggle a little. "Now it needs some work in order to fit you correctly, and a bit of upgrading to make it less out of date, but in the end it will be perfect for you."

"You really don't have to do all that." I say stroking the delicate fabric of the gown.

"I know, but I want to do this for you." She says giving me a motherly smile. "Now let's get to work. I need to get measurements and the gown pinned I'm various spots. Get out of your dress and slip on the gown, and we will get to work."

I do as I'm told, and we spend the remainder of the day working on the gown. I know today I won't get to learning to ride a horse, but that's okay because, much to my surprise, I am actually really enjoying myself, and I can't wait to see what Cook does with the gown. I have a feeling it is going to be amazing!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 262 13
After leaving Wonderland for the second time, Alice's life took a turn for the worst. Having nowhere left to go, she returns to the one place she kno...
1.7M 89.2K 68
[Final book of the Baked Series] "And Love is just that. The past, the present, and the future-all at the same time." The question of Infinity-what...
6.8K 323 45
Book three: The love story of Steven and Abby continues. The heartbreak, the pain and suffering, the hatred and revenge that consumes Steven destroy...
19.7K 368 23
STARTED: August 31, 2018 FINISHED: January 19, 2019 BOOK ONE: If I'm Lucky BOOK TWO: Think About You BOOK THREE: Endlessly BOOK FOUR: ROLLERCOASTER R...