Greatest Curse (Book 2)

By fictionowl

[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 2] This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. Pleas... More

Complicated
Do Something
The Kiss
More to Him
Conquer Fear
Peek Inside His Darkness
A Troubled Beta
Scars
What Friends Are For
Bennett, Bentley, Chester, and Asher
Reconciliation
Even the Odds
Bambi, Nightmares, and Thank You
Mystery Wolf
Scars Run Deep
A Messy Gala
Trouble This Way Comes
The Way Things Are
Peace Interrupted (Part 1)
Peace Interrupted (Part 2)
Enemy Territory
It's A Trap
Asher and Laken
The Mole (Part 1)

Something's Lurking

3.3K 189 22
By fictionowl

(Jaxon)

Almost an entire week has gone by since that meeting.

It seemed as though Tobias might've had a word with his 'allies'. They hadn't once made a move against us. Teddy hasn't provoked Lance either. For now, a kind of peace had settled over the high school. And as much as I wanted it to stay this way, the silence was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. It won't last forever.

It felt like the calm before the storm.

Another thing I have noticed and didn't like one bit, was the fact that Teddy has been approaching Asher the last few days. Part of me is screaming that he knows. Somehow, Teddy knows about Asher and me. Tobias and his men know, and they're plotting against me.

I would listen to the tiny part of me that says to ignore it. That it means nothing. If, I didn't catch Teddy smirking at me every time he approached Asher.

They fucking know.

The question is, how? Had they by chance seen us together? It can't be. We had been extremely careful, restricting how we saw each other down to just visiting each other's house. We didn't go on dates anymore where we ran the risk of being exposed.

The only thing we would do outside that pattern was head to the Stone's beach house. And this coming weekend would be the first time we would do that.

If they didn't see us, then the only other question was who? Who the fuck ratted us out? Who told Tobias, or Teddy, maybe even Davin?

"Why is Teddy talking to me?" Asher asked, as he plopped down next to me at our usual table during lunch. We could freely mention our relationship around the people who sat with us at lunch because they knew, and they wouldn't say anything.

I hope.

Asher picked at his food, one hand sliding under the table and onto my lap. I gripped his hand.

"Do you think he knows?" he asked, sliding his gaze over to me, as he bit into a fry.

Gods, I really hope not. I can't deal with that.

Jace then scoffed, drawing our attention to him.

"You realize other people can see what's going on under a table from certain angles, right?" he scolded, glancing at our shoulders. "Stop holding hands. You're looking to get caught."

I tilted my head. "How did you know we were holding hands?"

Jace pinned me with a deadpan stare. Expelling a breath, I slipped my hand out of Asher's and he placed his hand on his own lap. I instantly missed the warmth of his skin on mine.

"But..." Sky spoke up after a moment, "just in case, you two should be alert. We don't know for sure if they know."

Sky had been there at the meeting that week ago where I completely exploded on their beta. They now knew why I hated Blackwater.

There was so much conflict within Blackwater alone, toss my pack in and you've got chaos.

"What is Teddy talking to you about?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me. Asher averted his gaze.

"Err...nothing." he returned, uneasily. Asher caught my expression, one that said I didn't believe him. He grinned brightly at me. "Nothing to worry about."

"Lying to me now, are you?" I teased, even though part of me was bothered at the idea of it.

He expelled a breath. "Look...just promise you won't say or do anything. Promise to just leave it." he warned.

"Depends." Asher pinned me with a stern stare that had me rolling my eyes. "Whatever. Fine."

"He's been more or less flirting." Asher confessed; complete repulsion of the fact perfectly displayed across his features. I stood abruptly, ready to confront the fucker, my hands clenched to knuckle turning white fists, and a muscle thumped in my jaw. My lip curled in both disgust and anger.

How dare he approach Asher of all people, after what he did to my first mate? Did he think I would let it slide? That I would be so weak and afraid; so consumed with guilt and grief that I won't fight back?

If so, he better think again.

"West!" Sky reprimanded sharply, pinning me with a firm stare that said I shouldn't do anything drastic. "As I've said. We can't be sure he knows. Confronting Teddy about Asher will only give it away. I understand you want to defend your mate-"

"It's not just about that, Daniels." I snapped, tilting my head down to meet Asher's gaze. I could see the heartbreak in his eyes; how much he was hurting for the pain I felt. The abject horror and fear. "I can't let it happen again..." I trailed; my voice soft as I quietly plopped back into my seat.

Sky and Jace frowned, as well as Laken and Dale. Outside of my small circle of close friends and family, only Asher knew about what truly happened to Bentley.

The test results from the autopsy.

I kept nothing from him. As a fourth-in-command and mate to a beta wolf with demons that followed like leeches, he needed to know all these things to better protect himself because he knew what to expect.

If they ever got their hands on Asher, I would tear them apart limb from limb. I would give in to the darkness, that violence-craving monster I had been before he waltzed into my life.

It would be worth it to indulge in the madness once more. To even the odds and settle an unavenged score.

"Please don't do anything." my mate pleaded, his knee brushing against mine as he turned his body to face me.

How can he ask that of me?

He knows what those assholes put me through. For they did to Bentley. And now Teddy is approaching my new mate and flirting with him.

It was Bentley all over again. That cunt had done the same thing to him before he took complete advantage to have his way during that raid.

And he was just one of a few.

"At least...for now?" he reiterated. I nodded after a moment of thought. Temporary, I can do. And while I am afraid of the consequences of exposing our relationship to the public, I know it won't be forever.

Sooner or later, we'll have to go public because within a year, Asher was to be coronated as the new fourth-in-command.

**

"It's too convenient." B concluded, turning back to his homework assignments.

Tucker, Zain and I visited B at the rehab centre once every week. It had become routine, and since B wasn't allowed social media or even a cellphone- via his grandfather's request- he had to rely on the employees informing him of his visitors in advance.

He was only ever allowed the internet for research purposes.

His grandfather, Kosta, had managed to pull a few strings and gotten the school and the centre to work hand-in-hand, allowing B to continue training as a fourth-in-command wolf, and his studies so that he would graduate with his rightful year.

A tutor would come in five days a week, they would cover the specific topics and B would be assignment homework to be completed by the next tutoring session. He did all of this on top of a million other things he needed to recuperate.

His grandfather Kosta has been his most frequent visitor in the two months he's been here.

Now that I carefully looked at him, I could see he was doing much better. He looked healthier and more fit than he had been when he came here.

His colour had returned to favour his naturally tanned skin native of his Eastern European ancestry. His eyes were no longer bloodshot and dilated, giving way to that sharp icy blue that stood out against his warm complexion. He'd gotten a trim too, but it was hard to tell since his dark brown hair looked as though he'd rolled off his bed after much tossing and turning and scratched and scratched at his head.

"Tuck, you said you've got a guy on the inside. What's he saying?" B posed toward the person in question. Tucker pursed his lips, playing with the corner of a page from B's opened Math text.

He was seated on a chair opposite B, across a small table where the tutoring sessions were held. Zain stood, leaning against the wall, arms akimbo. I was plopped, star fished on the bed.

"I haven't heard much. But he suspects." he replied, his words vague and cryptic. B and I glanced to him with questioning eyes. "He suspects Jaxon and Asher are mates. And he suspects that somehow, Teddy's figured it out."

Well, I'm glad Tucker hasn't told anyone outside our immediate circle. Aside from him; Zain, Alec, Jason, and Lance were the only other few who knew about Asher and me and it's only because I saw it safe to inform them what I stood to lose.

I sat up, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed. "This inside man of yours, who is he? Do we know him?"

"I can't tell you that. If I do, it would only comprise our strategic advantage."

I rolled my eyes at that, noticing that B mirrored my exact reaction.

"Is he trustworthy, then?" B shot at Tucker.

"Extremely." Zain piped up, his voice firm with confidence in his answer. B perked up, pinning an amused stare to Zain.

"You trust this guy?" he asked, humming in response when Zain nodded, a confident smirk playing at his lips. "Any chance I can get it out of you?"

"You might," Zain shrugged, a mischievous gleam entering his eyes when he smirked, "if you kiss me first."

B made a face of mock disgust before laughing. "Not gonna happen, Walker."

Zain only shrugged. "Then I guess you'll never know."

"You Blackwater boys...but are you serious?"

Zain frowned.

"Would you really tell me if I kissed you?" B interrogated, and Zain hummed in agreement while nodding his head once. Tucker, B and I exchanged glances a moment before Bennett swiftly got up and started backing the beta wolf into a corner.

Zain looked like a deer caught in headlights, first, and now he appeared akin to a cornered kitten.

"B, what are you doing?" he all but screamed, holding his arms out to keep Bennett away. His face was flushed, and I could tell that despite his fighting and refusal, he wanted this with everything in him.

See, Zain used to have a crush on my best friend that soon blossomed into something stronger. And I don't think Zain ever got over it.

"Bartering. A kiss for one piece of information."

"You're using me?" Zain scoffed in disbelief, grabbing hold of B's wrists, pinning them to B's chest.

"It's one kiss." Bennett said as though it meant nothing, pushing forward and tipping his head up, his face inches away from Zain's. He pinned B with a firm stare, his gaze flickering a moment from B's eyes to his lips. Zain's resolve wavered just before Bennett burst out laughing.

Zain's eyes widened and he shoved B away, mumbling to himself.

"Oh my gosh! You really thought I would let you kiss me?" B cackled, doubling over with laughter.

"You are cruel, Bennett Reid. Playing with a guy's feelings like that." Zain shot back, obviously deeply hurt by that stunt.

"I know, and I'm sorry. But I would never self myself so cheap." my best friend replied once he'd sobered from his fit. His expression and tone of voice suddenly took on a serious note. "But truly, you can't tell us?" he directed at the two Blackwater wolves before sliding his gaze to me. I shrugged my shoulders.

"I can't have you guys suddenly being nice to said person." Tucker returned, making us frown as we glanced to each other, then back to him.

"So we do know him, and he's someone we hate?" I reiterated. Tucker nodded.

"You two, anyway. But that's all I'll say."

We were quiet for a moment, letting silence flow between us as B and I tried to think of whom it may be. Bennett was the first to break the silence, by restating something Tucker had earlier said.

"So, this guy doesn't know for sure that Asher and Jax are mates. But he suspects. And he also suspects that Teddy might have figured it out." At this, Tucker and Zain nodded. B then turned to look at me.

"Teddy knows." B stated, not realizing what those two words did to me. Yet, I wouldn't get angry with him. He's only stating the truth. "Why else would he approach Asher out of everyone you've gotten close to since we moved here?"

See, he was only stating the obvious. And who knows? Maybe Asher and I had brought this on ourselves. Perhaps we hadn't been too careful. Maybe we slipped up somewhere.

"My hands are tied while I'm in here." he continued. "Grandpa Kosta keeps me under careful watch here so there isn't much I can do. Just, be careful. Start putting security measures in place. Don't wait until it's too late. We can't deal with a repeat, Jax."

I glanced up at him. His eyes said he wanted to say something else but for whatever reason, he chose not to.

"B makes an excellent point." Zain spoke up. "Earlier you mentioned you two are heading to the Stone's beach house for the weekend?" Zain queried for confirmation and I nodded.

"Good. Now that Teddy knows, assuming anyway, please be extra vigilant. If you feel something's off or you sniff trouble, just get out of there. Our inside guy has yet to find out what Tobias' next move is."

"Not to mention, he's been extremely quiet and docile since we showed up." Tucker informed quietly, a slight frown on his face.

"Then we need to be extra, extra careful. He might seem like that, but he's planning something." B added, and to that, we all agreed.

It's how Tobias Corbin works. He hasn't stirred up any trouble, seemingly absent from the picture for the better part of the past two months. That meeting one week ago was actually the first time I'd seen him since the gala.

What the hell are you planning, Corbin?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

557K 26.4K 32
[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 1] {Currently being rewritten; to be removed.} This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. P...
392K 6.2K 6
#Book 1 Jasper never thought he would be able to gain happiness in his life.All he has gone through is pain and sadness.He lost his parents when roug...
958K 39.3K 31
[Book #1 in the Blackwood Pack series] Currently in the process of rewriting (it'll be uploaded as a separate book) ________________ ...
421K 17.7K 47
Book 2 - Gyres of Hunger (MxM) Celian Quillios was lost. He ruled a Kingdom, now after only a few years on the throne, heading to war. The vampires...