Who Said Death Was Easy? [Dea...

By thatonekawaiigirl13

It was only a kiss. Keiko never expected to get involved with Light Yagami and the Kira investigation. Fate... More

Chapter One: Misfortune
Chapter Two: Debt
Chapter Three: Confrontation
Chapter Four: Date
Chapter Five: Eavesdropping
Chapter Six: Observations
Chapter Seven: Examination
Chapter Eight: Debriefing
Chapter Nine: Decision
Chapter Ten: University
Chapter Eleven: Match
Chapter Twelve: Unraveling
Chapter Thirteen: Copycat
Chapter Fourteen: Test
Chapter Fifteen: Message
Chapter Sixteen: Hideout
Chapter Seventeen: Meeting
Chapter Eighteen: Lunch
Chapter Nineteen: Retaliation
Chapter Twenty: Friend
Chapter Twenty-one: Fool
Chapter Twenty-two: Cost
Chapter Twenty-three: Repercussions
Chapter Twenty-four: Intervention
Chapter Twenty-five: Determination
Chapter Twenty-six: Conversation
Chapter Twenty-seven: Speculation
Chapter Twenty-eight: Transition
Chapter Twenty-nine: Irritation
Chapter Thirty: Frustration
Chapter Thirty-one: Aftermath
Chapter Thirty-two: Musings
Chapter Thirty-three: Uncertainty
Chapter Thirty-four: Crush
Announcement: Wattpad Discovery Feast
Chapter Thirty-five: Complication
Chapter Thirty-six: Rebound
Chapter-Thirty-seven: Tension
Chapter Thirty-eight: Persuasion
Chapter Thirty-nine: Rendezvous
Chapter Forty: Ally
Chapter Forty-one: Matsuda
Chapter Forty-two: Makeshift
Chapter Forty-Three: Guidance
Chapter Forty-four: Action
Chapter Forty-six: Revival
Chapter Forty-seven: Proposal
Chapter Forty-eight: Reunion
Chapter Forty-nine: Gamble
Chapter Fifty: Dealings
Chapter Fifty-One: Confession
Chapter Fifty-two: Deceit
Chapter Fifty-three: Advice
Chapter Fifty-four: Objective
Important Notice & Update
Chapter Fifty-five: Stationary
Author Update 2023
Chapter Fifty-six: Exchange
Chapter Fifty-seven: Plan
Chapter Fifty-eight: Sleepless

Chapter Forty-five: Frenzy

1K 57 28
By thatonekawaiigirl13

Keiko's POV:

"Ryuzaki-san," Light started, glancing over at the raven haired detective. "I must say, I never knew that you could pilot a helicopter. That's incredible."

At this, Keiko cracked a small smile as she glanced over at L. Even though he's a bit of a jerk at times, he is rather impressive...I wonder what else he's capable of doing...there's a lot about him that I don't know...

"Wait a second," Light muttered. "Higuchi isn't heading towards Sakura T.V....he's going the other direction."

Keiko glanced at the map sitting out in front of them, "hmm...could he be heading towards Yotsuba's main office?"

L nodded. "Yes. I'd say that's likely where he's headed." He pressed a button on the computer, "Wedy...everything related to Matsuda at Yotsuba's main office has been destroyed, right?"

"Yes. Why? Is he headed there now?"

"Yes."

"How convenient. That should give me enough time to go ahead and meet up with Yagami-san to set up the ambush."

"Perfect."

With that, L hung up. According to Higuchi's tracker, he was currently heading towards the inside of the Yotsuba building.

"How much longer until the announcement?" L questioned.

"About fifteen or so minutes," Light responded, checking the channel.

"Yes. That should be enough time," the detective murmured. "It looks like Higuchi's realized that there's no longer any files or tapes on Matsuda in the Yotsuba building...which means...now he should be headed towards the Sakura T.V. station...Light-kun, can you call your father?"

"Already on it." Light replied, dialing the number.

Keiko studied him as he talked to his father. His gaze was fixed on Higuchi's car down below, and Keiko could hear the determination in his voice. It was clear that he wanted to catch Kira just as much as she did.

If he was Kira, then he really doesn't have any recollection of it...and, when we catch Higuchi, will he go back to being Kira immediately? Or does Higuchi have to give up his powers or something? If we can somehow still figure out how Kira kills, then perhaps it'll become more clear how Kira's power is passed along among individuals...it looks like I'll have to keep a watchful eye on Light when we capture Higuchi...

Down below Higuchi's car slowed to a stop in front of the Sakura T.V. building. He rushed out of the car, running towards the entrance, a briefcase in his arms. About thirty seconds later, Mogi and Aiber also arrived.

"We're here at Sakura T.V. and we're moving into position!"

"Yes, good. Go on."

"Now we wait," Light muttered.

It's only been a couple minutes since Higuchi went inside the building, but it feels like an eternity! If he has the same powers as the Second Kira, and can kill with only a face then it could be dangerous! I know everyone's wearing a helmet, just in case, but if something were to happen and someone's helmet came off...

"Please, try and remain calm, Kagami-san," L's voice broke through her thoughts and she glanced over at the detective. His eyes met eyes, and he continued on, "the best thing you can do right now is try and keep a clear mind. If something happens, I'm sure we'll be equipped to handle it."

Try and stay calm...right. Keiko nodded. Easier said than done. Especially because, even if things go as planned and we capture Higuchi...there's still a chance that Light could end up becoming Kira again.

"Ryuzaki-san!" Mogi's voice came through the speakers, "Higuchi has a gun! The chief's been shot. Higuchi's escaping!"

"I'll be alright, don't worry," the chief added. "I'm sorry, Ryuzaki-san...if we pursue him right now, we can still catch up to him! Let's hurry!"

"This is bad..." Light whispered under his breath. "He's escaping from Sakura T.V.! He's getting away in his car right now!"

"Don't worry," L interjected. "Well...I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but this leaves us no choice. We'll have to move in and apprehend him. Watari-san, are you ready?"

"Yes."

Beside Keiko, Watari had moved into position. He had opened the side door to the helicopter, a long-range gun aimed and ready in his hands.

A gun?

"Light-kun," L produced a handgun from a compartment. "You should hold onto this for self defense. After all, this is Kira we're after."

I'm not sure how I feel about these weapons...even if it is Kira we're going after...surely, it won't come to this, right? Keiko glanced at the weapon that the detective was holding.

"No." Light's voice was firm. "Firearms aren't allowed in Japan and I'm not a policeman."

"You know, I'm sure your father would have said the same thing," L replied, placing the gun back into the compartment.

What was the meaning of that? Was that another test for Light? Does he think, if Light were to go back to being Kira, that he'd kill by using any means necessary? Or what...? Keiko let out a sigh, keeping an eye on the scene below. Higuchi's car was speeding forward, behind him were the others chasing after him. However, up ahead there was also about a dozen police cars blocking off the road. Their lights were bright and even though they were high up in the helicopter, Keiko could still faintly hear the sirens as they went off.

"What is this?" Watari questioned. "I told the police not to make any sudden moves without your okay...the only one who would have the power to do this is-"

"Yes, you're right..." L interjected, "It must be Aizawa-san."

Aizawa? I have to admit, I'm not that surprised...so he did all this on his own? Amazing.

Down below, Higuchi's car came to a halt, stopping in front of the police block. L maneuvered the helicopter, and they slowly descended until they were floating closer to the ground. It looked as though Higuchi was about to turn the car around when the sound of a gun firing filtered through the air. Moments later, Keiko realized that Watari had aimed for his tires, ensuring that he would be unable to escape. Higuchi's car skid upon impact, hitting the side railing, his windshield shattering.

"It's over. Give it up, Higuchi." Light muttered quietly as the cop cars surrounded his, now crashed, car.

"Ryuzaki-san," the chief's voice came in, "please. Let me go and make the arrest."

"Chief, I'll go, too," Mogi added, "if that's alright."

"Go ahead," the detective looked at the scene below, "but keep in mind that this is Kira you're dealing with. Be careful when arresting him. Be sure not to let him see your face. And, Watari-san, if Higuchi makes even the slightest move..."

"Yes. I know what to do. I will shoot to stop him, not to kill him."

Below, the chief and Mogi walked over to where Aizawa's car is, helmets covering both of their faces. After a moment, the three of them, and a few other officers in helmets, walked over to where Higuchi was sitting in his car.

"Higuchi!" the chief was saying. "Put your hands up and get out of the car immediately! You've been caught!"

A few moments later, Higuchi popped out of the car, slowly raising his hands. Before he could do anything else, he was approached by the three policemen, who made sure to handcuff and blindfold him.

"Mogi-san, as planned, give Higuchi a headset please."

"Roger that."

"Higuchi," L started as soon as the headset was in place, "how do you kill people? ...tell me! Please know that I will use whatever means necessary to make you speak."

Higuchi dipped his head, seemingly hesitant, but he responded anyway. "The...notebook."

Keiko let out a small gasp, is he serious?!

"The notebook?" L repeated.

"Yes. You probably won't believe me, but there's this special notebook I have. If I write someone's name in it while thinking of their face, that person dies."

Wait! That means...when he was writing down Matsuda's alias in the Yoshida Productions building, that was his attempt to get rid of him! Which means he wasn't just making a note of the name, or keeping track of the people he's killed! That is the method of killing! That's...that's...I can't believe it!

"Yagami-san," the detective started, but before he could finish, the chief cut him off.

"Yeah, we found the notebook. It was in his briefcase. There are names written in it, but it looks like any other ordinary noteboo-aaAH!" The chief let out a scream as he looked up, suddenly dropping the notebook.

"Dad, what's wrong?!" Light questioned.

"I-it's a monster!"

A monster?!

"Yagami-san, please calm down. Don't panic...remember," L watched as the chief instinctively reached inside his coat pocket, "you don't have a gun on you right now."

"Oh...yeah...of course." The chief replied.

"Are you alright?" Mogi questioned. Keiko watched as the man leaned forward, a concerned look on his face.

"Can't you see that?!" The chief questioned.

"The chief's probably just tired, Ryuzaki-san. I'll take the notebook for him," Mogi responded. He bent down, picking up the notebook that Light's father had dropped. When he looked up, he also let out a shocked yell.

"Mogi-san!" Light's voice was sharp, "what's going on?!"

Mogi pointed up in front of him, but there was seemingly nothing there. "I-I...it seems that only people who've touched this notebook can see this...the chief was right, it does look like a monster."

It seems impossible...but...then again, this whole investigation has been that way. Could there really be a monster? No wait...perhaps, could this monster they're referring to be...a shinigami? Earlier...when it appeared that Higuchi was talking to himself...that Rem Higuchi mentioned...could this be them? This means that...shinigami...exist...this notebook with the power to kill people...exists. Keiko's mind raced, so much for keeping a clear head...there's far too much going on for that, far too much at risk...

"Please bring the notebook over to the helicopter."

Keiko noticed that the detective glanced over at Light as he said this.

Wait a moment...does L think that Light will regain his memories of being Kira if he touches this notebook? She shivered at the thought, unfortunately, if he was Kira then it's possible. If this notebook truly holds the power of Kira, then...it's dangerous if this falls into the wrong hands...and if Light regains the powers of Kira once more, then...

Keiko didn't even want to finish that thought. She watched as Mogi walked towards the helicopter, notebook in hand.

"Here it is, Ryuzaki-san," Mogi held out the notebook for the detective to take. Keiko watched as L leaned forward, pinching the notebook in between two fingers. He then looked towards where the chief and Aizawa were standing, his eyes widening slightly.

"It really is...a shinigami," the detective whispered quietly. "So they really do exist."

"Ryuzaki-san," Light started, "you need to let Keiko-chan and I see it as well. Come on."

With that, Light reached forward, grabbing the notebook out of L's fingers. Keiko watched Light carefully as he held onto the notebook. While he was silent, his face said it all. His eyes were wide, his mouth open in disbelief.

His reaction...is it just me or is he more shocked than L was? I know shinigamis are supposedly not supposed to exist but...is it more than just seeing a shinigami? Does he perhaps...have his memories back?

Out of the corner of her eye she noticed that L was also watching Light like a hawk. She gave a quick glance at the detective, attempting to gauge his reaction to Light.

He does look rather suspicious...that means he must be on his guard.

Keiko was disrupted from her thoughts when Light let out a sudden, ragged breath. It almost sounded as though he was in pain.

"Light-kun, are you okay?" Keiko questioned, slowly taking the notebook from his hands.

"Y-yeah," Light managed to get out, letting Keiko take the notebook. "Anyone would be surprised by that monster. When you're done with the notebook, is it okay if you hand it back over to me? I'd like to match the names written in the notebook with the names of the victims recorded on the computer, if that's alright..."

Hand the notebook back over? He's being suspicious! I know he wants to check the names of the victims in the notebook, but if he's Kira and he's just gotten his memories back, then that's almost too convenient. There's no telling what he can do if he takes hold of the notebook. But what can I do? If I say no, I'll look suspicious myself.

"Sure," Keiko replied, grabbing hold of the notebook. She closed her eyes a moment, mentally preparing herself to see the shinigami with her own eyes. When she opened her eyes, she let out a gasp. The shinigami was standing in front of the chief. They had a white, skeletal appearance, markings on their face, and one eye appeared to be covered.

So shinigamis really are real! This must be the Rem that Higuchi was talking to...

Keiko swallowed, flipping through the notebooks pages. She wanted to take a quick look before handing the notebook back to Light.

I suppose if Light were Kira he wouldn't leave any evidence in this notebook, but still. It's worth a shot to take a peek! Keiko peeled through the pages, attempting to quickly scan their contents. She was both disappointed and relieved when she did not find anything.

This doesn't mean he's innocent, this just means that, if he was Kira, nothing written in this notebook can prove that...so that means he doesn't want the notebook back to cover anything up...meaning that he really must be only checking the names written in his notebook to the names in our database...

After a moment, Keiko reached forward, passing the notebook back over to Light. When Light grabbed the notebook, she noticed that the bottom of one of the pages had been slightly ripped.

What the-?

Before she could get a good look, the notebook was gone, back into Light's hands. Keiko leaned forward, looking back and forth between the detective and her ex-boyfriend.

Light didn't rip the page before handing it to me, did he? No, no, you were watching. There's no way he could have done that. Therefore, it must've been there before we got a hold of the notebook. However, the notebook is still back in Light's possession...which, if he's Kira, isn't a good thing...wait a moment...if Light's Kira, and Misa's the Second Kira, then that must mean...there's two notebooks! That has to be the case...meaning that there's another notebook with this killing power. And it's possible that Misa could get a hold of that other notebook...if that happens then...then they'd be unstoppable! Especially if Misa has the power to kill someone with only a face! Which would mean that, Keiko glanced over at the raven haired detective, her heart aching, I was right. It would mean that L's life is in danger. While this is still all hypothetical, it's a very real danger, one that I can't take lightly.

L must have sensed that Keiko was watching him, because he looked over at her. As usual, she couldn't quite read him, but she could sense the softness in his gaze. It wasn't a usual expression, this one wasn't meant to tease or frustrate her. While Keiko couldn't quite be sure, it looked as though there was almost a sadness to it.

He must realize the danger he's in as well...

Keiko swallowed hard, suddenly looking away. She couldn't bear to face him any longer, she couldn't bear to see his nearly-vulnerable expression.

No matter what, I can't let Kira kill him...I can't lose him. There has to be some sort of way...

"Yagami-san," Keiko heard L saying a moment later, "please take Higuchi to the car."

"Alright, Ryuzaki-san."

"You know, about this notebook..." Light started, "I wonder what we'd find if we had it forensically analyzed."

"Hmm, that's not like you, Light-kun," the detective responded. Keiko looked over at him once more, seeing his narrowed eyes. "It's quite obvious at this point that this thing is beyond science."

At this, Light let out a soft chuckle, "you're right, Ryuzaki-san...it was just a thought."

In front of them, Higuchi was almost to the police car when suddenly he started to convulse. He shook and started to appear to gasp for air.

"What the hell?!" Light's eyes widened, "what's happening! We can't lose Higuchi, not now!"

"I-it's impossible!" there was disbelief in the chief's voice, "there's nothing I can do! H-he's already..."

There was no need for Light's father to finish his sentence. It was quite clear that Higuchi was now already dead.

N-no! T-that can't be! Keiko bit her lip, her eyes widening once more as she glanced at her ex-boyfriend, looking over at the notebook in his hands. I-I knew it was possible that Light was Kira, but this...Higuchi dying right as Light takes possession of this notebook...that really can't be a coincidence, can it? He was also acting a little suspicious as soon as he took hold of the notebook...if he's Kira then that has to mean that his memories are back! That means...Light Yagami...really must have been Kira...

It was only when Keiko started to taste blood that she realized how hard she had bitten her lip. She ignored the stinging sensation, still focusing solely on her ex-boyfriend. Keiko continued to keep a close eye on him on the ride back to headquarters.

If he's Kira again, then it's only a matter of time before he'll try to strike...

/timeskip/

Keiko's POV:

"'How to use it'..." Aizawa read, the notebook in his hands, "it says here, 'the human whose name is written in this notebook...shall die!...this notebook will not take effect unless the writer has the person's face in their mind when writing their name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected. If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the person's name, it will happen. If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.'"

Aizawa paused a moment before continuing on, "'After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written within the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds'. Additionally, on the back, there are two more rules. The first one is, 'if you make this notebook unusable by tearing it up or burning it, all the humans who have touched the notebook until then will die.'"

Matsuda let out a gasp, his face full of anguish, "what?! Is that true, Aizawa-san?"

Aizawa nodded. "Yeah, that's what's written."

"No way!" Matsuda groaned, "why didn't anyone tell me before I touched it?!"

"How was I supposed to know?!" Aizawa shot back.

"Just think," the chief started, "if you hadn't touched it, then you would be the only one out of the loop in this investigation. Would you be okay with that?"

Matsuda quickly shook his head, "no! I want to work on the same terms as everyone else."

Wait a second...if that's really the case...then, what about that rip at the bottom of one of the pages? Wouldn't that count as tearing it up?

"Anyway," Aizawa interjected. "I'd like to continue on, Matsuda-san."

"R-right, go ahead, Aizawa-san."

"The final rule is as follows, 'if the person using the notebook fails to consecutively write names of people to be killed within 13 days of each other, then the user...'" Aizawa trailed off a moment, but then continued on, "'then the user...will die.'"

What?! Keiko glanced at her ex-boyfriend, if that's the case then-

"If that's true then that means Light-kun and Misa Misa are completely cleared!" Matsuda pumped a fist in the air, "right, chief?!"

"Yeah, now that you mention it, Light and Amane-san were detained for quite a while...much longer than 13 days...and they're still under surveillance. There's no way they'd still be alive if they're both Kira," Aizawa commented.

Matsuda grinned. "Wow, that's great news, isn't it chief?!"

Light's father nodded, "yeah. That means I can breathe a sigh of relief."

While it looked like a few of the others were celebrating, Keiko wasn't too sure what to make of the whole situation, while I'd also love to celebrate, I'm afraid these that these rules don't make any sense! And anyway, it's almost too convenient! The evidence against both Light and Misa is pretty high! I've already basically accepted that Light's Kira based off of his behavior earlier! And what about that torn page at the bottom of the notebook?! Hmm... Aizawa mentioned that these two rules are in the back of the notebook, not the front with the rest of them. Why are these rules listed at the back? Why aren't they at the front? It doesn't make sense to me...could it be...could these rules be...fake?

The sound of the detective's voice broke through her thoughts. "Rem. That's your name, isn't it, shinigami?"

"What do you want?" The shinigami, Rem, responded.

"There are other notebooks in the human world, aren't there?"

As expected, he also realized that there has to be more than one notebook! ...does he also suspect that the last two rules might be fake?

Keiko looked over at the shinigami as they replied, "who knows. There may be and there may not be."

"If there are other notebooks, are all of their rules the same?" The detective questioned further, seemingly unaffected by Rem's lack of a real response to his previous question.

"Yes, they are all the same. There are many notebooks in the shinigami realm but they all have the same rules."

"Ryuzaki-san!" Aizawa took a step forward, "Light-kun and Amane-san have both been cleared of suspicion. That being said, they shouldn't be under surveillance any longer..."

"I suppose you're right," L replied. Keiko could sense the reluctance in his tone. "I understand...please, accept my apologies about everything that's happened until now."

Keiko watched as the chief stepped forward, placing his hand on Light's shoulder, "thank goodness..."

"Yeah, but we still can't say that we've solved the case yet..." Light started. He stood up, looking over at the raven haired detective, "Ryuzaki-san, would it be alright if the handcuffs were removed? I still want to investigate with you, but given the current situation, I think it'd be best if the handcuffs came off. And, seeing as Misa-chan is no longer a suspect, she should be released from surveillance as well..."

"Yes," was the detective's short reply. "I understand."

This really isn't good! If Light really is Kira and if Misa is the Second Kira, then letting them get released from surveillance is the worst possible decision! But there's nothing I can do about it, not with those rules standing in the way! At this point, in order to save L's life, I have to assume that Light is Kira and that he'll start working with Misa again as soon as she's released...but still, what can I do to stop them? It's me up against the power of two killer notebooks...this can't end well!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

811 44 17
π‘‘π‘–Β·π‘šπ‘–π‘›Β·π‘’Β·π‘‘π‘–π‘£π‘’ - extremely or unusually small. ──────── π‘ͺπ’‰π’Šπ’šπ’ π‘¨π’π’Œπ’Š had died a painful death in her previous life due to h...
1.5M 68.9K 34
Light Yagami x Female!Reader | Death Note ❝ He was a ROSE with hidden THORNS ❞ [141016 - 060218 - COMPLETED + UNEDITED]
113K 4.4K 60
H is the greatest detective's successor, who goes by L. She travels with L and helps solve cases. When they discover the case of criminals suddenly d...
14.6K 648 25
**COMPLETED** In an Alternate Universe where the Death Note never comes to the human world, agent Naomi Misora is contacted by L- the world's greate...