To Love's End | Shigure Sohma

By LyraUlric

Tohru finds a photo of a young woman in Shigure's office. Clearly she's very important because even Yuki and... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine (Lemon)
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Eight

9.5K 238 139
By LyraUlric

Akito Sohma was born female, the child of the head of the Sohma family, Akira Sohma, and a maid in the Main House, Ren Sohma. Upon discovering her child would be female, Ren demanded that Akito be raised male out of fear that a female child would steal her place in Akira's heart. Akito was feared and respected by many of the Sohma clan.

Akito is possessed of the Zodiac's God-Spirit, forcing all the cursed Sohmas to obey her every word, no matter what. After Yuki left the Main House to live with Shigure, Akito's mother, Ren, commented that the cursed Sohmas were abandoning Akito, just as Ren always predicted they would. Akito denied this and claimed they would all come back to her because of their inseparable Zodiac bonds. She and Ren made a dare in which Akito was to allow the cursed Sohmas to form bonds with "outsiders" to test whether they would return to Akito's side. If they did not return, Akito would have to bow before Ren then leave the Sohma family.

She could never let Shigure leave. Unfortunately, it seemed the test was going all wrong. His relationship was growing stronger and he hadn't visited her in a long time. She couldn't lose.

***

Amai had just finished work and she couldn't wait to get back home to Shigure. He said that he had a surprise for her since it was her birthday and she was curious to know what it was. The library wasn't too far from home, only a ten minute walk. However, just as she was about to cross the road in front of the library, a black car suddenly pulled up and and parked in front of her. She was annoyed at the driver for speeding in front of her and she was glad that she hadn't stepped out.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" she yelled at the driver behind the black tinted windows.

Getting no response, she sighed in frustration and went to walk around the car. But the back window of the car rolled down to reveal what Amai assumed was a boy around her age. They had short black hair and grey eyes.

"Hello, I apologise for my driver."

The person had quite a female sounding voice but Amai still couldn't tell if they were a boy or a girl. She simply smiled in return.

"It's okay," she said before turning to leave.
"Excuse me."
Amai turned back. "Yes?"
"By any chance, is your name Amai?"
She was surprised but tried not to show it. "I'm sorry but who are you?"
The person smiled lightly. "I asked first. It's common courtesy for you to answer my question before I answer yours."
"Yes, my name is Amai. Who are you?" she asked again.
"I'm Akito."
Amai's eyes widened. "You're Akito Sohma?"
"Yes. It's nice to finally meet you, Amai."
"And you," she said with a polite smile. "I'm sorry, I wish I could stay longer but I have to get going now."
"I won't be long. I just wanted to speak with you quickly."

Amai didn't know what to do. She recalled when Shigure first told her about the curse and what to do if Akito ever wanted to speak to her alone.

"I need you to promise me that if Akito ever wants to speak to you alone, you will call me first. Promise me."

She knew she had to call him. Luckily, her phone was still in her hand because she had just spoken to Shigure to let him know that she was on her way home. She didn't even have to look as she dialled his number again, keeping it hidden so that Akito couldn't see.

"Amai?" Akito called. "I can give you a lift home."
Amai jumped slightly but played it off. "Oh. No, it's fine. I don't live too far," she said as she quickly ended the call before Shigure could answer. "In fact, I forgot to discuss some things with my manager so I have to go back in. Thank you though."
Akito smiled. "I understand. I hope we get to meet again soon."
Amai nodded. "Me too."

Akito rolled up the window again and the car drove away. Amai watched the car leave before releasing a huge sigh of relief. Seconds later, her phone began to ring making her jump again. Looking down at her phone, she saw Shigure's name so she quickly answered it.

"Shigure..."
"Amai, are you okay? I just got a call from you."
She breathed out. "I'm fine. Akito was just here."
"What..?"
"I just met Akito outside the library. Can I ask you something? Is Akito a boy or a girl because I can't remember if you told me and I couldn't tell..."
"A girl. Amai, are you sure you're okay?" he asked, sounding extremely worried.
"Yes, I'm okay."
"I'm coming to pick you up."
"Shigure, I'll be okay."
"I know you will be but I want to pick you up. Consider it a birthday treat."
She laughed softly. "You know, by the time you get here, I could walk home."
"Well, I'm already in the car," he said with humour in his voice.
She could hear the car door close. "Okay, fine. I'll wait for you."
"Good girl. Love you."
"Love you, too."

She hung up and smiled as she put her phone away. She was worried about Akito but she was relaxed after speaking to Shigure. Minutes later, he parked in front of the library and she got into the car. They both leaned in for a quick kiss of greeting.

"Hi," she smiled cheerfully before putting on her seatbelt.
"Hi," he repeated in the same tone. He began to drive. "What did Akito say to you?"
"Nothing much. Just that she was glad to finally meet me and that she hoped to meet again soon. She wanted to give me a lift but I politely refused."
He breathed out softly and nodded once. "Good."
She looked over at him. "She seemed intimidating at first but she was pretty friendly. Why should I be so worried?"
"I'll tell you another time. Right now, let's focus on your birthday!"

He reached over and placed his hand on her thigh before squeezing it. It was one of her more ticklish spots and so she laughed and slapped his hand away. He chuckled, placing his hand back on the wheel again.

"What else do you want to do for your big one-eight?" he asked.
She smiled. "I don't know. I've never had a birthday party before but a cake would be nice."
"Well, you know what? I'm gonna make sure you have the best cake you've ever had."
"Aw, Shigure, you're too sweet. Just spending the day with you and the boys is all I need."
"Consider it done."

He parked up outside their house and they both got out. Amai took her shoes off and Shigure entered behind her. He followed behind as she made her way to the dining room as she always did whenever she returned home.

As she slid the door open, there was a loud pop and the sound of a horn. Three people jumped out of their hiding spots and yelled "SURPRISE!" as confetti fell all around her. She jumped in shock but her entire face lit up excitedly as she made sense of what was going on. She saw Yuki, Kyo and another person she has never seen with long, silver hair all wearing party hats. On the table were boxes of gifts all wrapped up and their were helium balloons floating across the ceiling. Then, the kitchen door opened and another man she had never seen before walked in carrying a large chocolate cake with a number 18 candle on top.

"Oh, wow! You guys!" She beamed brightly as she turned to Shigure, who had a big smile on his face. "Shigure, you're so sneaky. I had no idea."
He laughed. "Do you like it?"
"I really do."
"Well, the boys helped. Ayame did the decorations,” he said as he gestured to the man with silver hair before turning to the other man, "and Hatori wrapped the gifts."
Amai recognised the names. "Oh! The Three Musketeers! It's so nice to finally meet you both."
Hatori nodded. "Likewise."
Ayame clapped his hands together. "Come on now. Make a wish and cut the cake. We'll make the proper introductions later."
"Yeah, come on!" Kyo called her over excitedly. "The candle's gonna melt."

Amai smiled excitedly as she knelt down in front of the cake. Shigure grabbed a camera and took a picture of her.

"Don't forget to make a wish," Ayame said.

She closed her eyes and made her wish. 'I wish that the Sohma curse gets broken and that Shigure is always happy.'

Opening her eyes again, she blew out the candle. Everyone clapped, her smile beaming more. She took the knife and sliced the cake as everyone began to sing the birthday song. Hatori took the camera from Shigure and got him to go to her whilst he took the pictures. After she cut a slice and plated it, he took a spoonful and fed it to her.

"Happy birthday, Amai," he said softly.
She smiled as her eyes became teary. "Thank you."
He became worried upon seeing the tears and held her face. "Hey, what's wrong?"
She shook her head. "Nothing's wrong. I'm just so happy. I've never had a proper birthday. So, thank you, Shigure."
He smiled as he wiped the tears that rolled down her cheeks. "There's no need to thank me. I wanted to do this for you. I love you."
Her smile became brighter. "I love you, too."

They learned in and kissed each other softly. Yuki and Kyo instantly began complaining, Ayame laughed and Hatori took a picture because he thought it was rather sweet.

Once slices of the cake were handed out, Shigure properly introduced Amai to his best friends. She felt as though she was meeting celebrities because Shigure had told her all about their time together in highschool.

"I must say, Amai, that Shigure truly made an amazing choice!" Ayame stated quite dramatically. "Only someone such as you could take my precious Shigure away from me!"

He suddenly locked his fingers with Shigure's as they pressed their cheeks together. Even Shigure was grinning as if he was a lovestruck fool.

"Oh, Ayame!"
"Oh, Shigure!"
Amai tilted her head in confusion. "Huh?"
Hatori closed his eyes and sighed in annoyance. "They will never change."
Yuki shook his head. "I can't believe I'm related to them."
"So, Amai," Hatori spoke. "Shigure told us that you want to be a teacher."
She nodded. "Mhm, it's always been my dream job. Hopefully I'll get my results soon and I can start my teaching course after the summer."
"That's great."
Kyo, becoming bored or the conversation, pushed one of the gifts towards her. "Open your presents now."
Amai giggled. "Okay."
"Oh, Lucky Kyo!" Ayame sang.
Kyo growled angrily. "Stop calling me that!"
Ayame chuckled in amusement. "Never, Lucky Kyo. But one thing I've noticed is that Yuki and Kyo haven't fought once since we've arrived. Has someone cast a spell on them?"
"Actually," Shigure spoke. "Amai sorted them out. If they fight, then she and I will kiss. So, to save themselves, they don't fight."
Amai nodded. "But it seems that not only do they not fight, but they get on really well in general."
"And bonus points because my house no longer gets destroyed."
Ayame gasped dramatically as be clasped his hands together. "My little brother's all grown up!"
Yuki sighed under his breath. "Ugh, you're so embarrassing..."

To save Yuki from further embarrassment, Amai began opening her presents. Even Hatori and Ayame bought presents for her. Hatori had gifted her a calligraphy set, which she absolutely loved. Ayame had given her a dress that he had designed himself. She paused the gift opening to try it on. It was a perfect fit and Shigure loved it so much that he had to take a picture.

Yuki and Kyo gave a joint gift, which was a jewellery set consisting of a bracelet and earrings. She wore them straight away. And last but not least, Shigure's gift was a rectangular shaped gift and she knew instantly that it was a book. She ripped it open and gasped with sparkles in her eyes.

She almost screamed. "When did you write this?!"
He laughed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Oh, you know, just while you were at work and college."
She gazed at the front cover of the book. "To Love's End by Noa Kiritani," she read out.

The books design was simply the title and his own name at the top with an image of her favourite flower in the middle; bluebells. She had no idea that he was even writing it, let alone had it published.

"This is the first copy," he told her. "It will be published worldwide within the next month or two."
"This is so beautiful..." she whispered. "I don't think I'm ready to read it yet."
He laughed softly. "Just read the author's note."

She opened the front cover and found the author's note. She read it aloud for everyone to hear.

"This book is dedicated to the one I promise my everlasting love and constancy. For my bluebell, Amai."

Her heart soared and felt so warm upon reading the note. She closed the book as tears welled up in her eyes again. Shigure's eyes widened upon seeing her tears and started to panic.

"Why are you crying, Amai? Did I say something wrong? Do you not like it?"
She quickly shook her head as she wiped her tears. "No. It's just..." She whimpered. "I... I'm just so...lucky to have you, Shigure..." She breathed out shakily. "I-If I didn't have you, I don't know where I'd be... I just love you so much..." She covered her face with her hands to hide more of her tears. "In sorry... I keep on crying..."

The others stayed quiet. Her tears were of joy. Both Ayame and Hatori were glad that their best friend had found someone who loved him truly even whilst knowing of the curse. Shigure placed his hand on her head and stroked his fingers through her hair.

"I love you, too, Amai."

He then wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his embrace so she could feel his love for that one second. And then with a poof, he transformed into a dog. Amai was grateful for that short moment of comfort and turned to hug him properly in his dog form.

The younger boys were used to it but Hatori and Ayame were completely surprised. It seemed so natural to them. That's one thing Hatori noticed in the difference between his relationship with Kana and Shugure's relationship with Amai. They were both true love, however, he and Kana were always careful of becoming too close physically. Shigure and Amai had no barrier between them. There was no hesitation. And for that reason, he was even more happy for his friend.

Amai parted from the hug and smiled brightly as she wiped away her tears. "Better put this around you before you transform back." She grabbed his kimono and wrapped it around his body.
"Awww, but I thought you liked seeing me naked," Shigure teased.
Her face turned bright red. "I do not!"
Yuki and Kyo screamed. "EW!"
Ayame laughed heartily. "Getting experimental in the bedroom, are we?"
"No!" she squealed.
Hatori sighed, putting a hand over his face as he closed his eyes. "And a beautiful moment ruined by your immaturity."

***

It was late evening and the night was warm. They sat in the dining room with the doors open to let in the cool air. The boys had school the next day so they went to sleep early. Amai stayed up with the Three Musketeers, the four of them simply talking away into the night. She sat beside Shigure on one side of the table with Hatori and Ayame sitting opposite then. She had her head resting on his shoulder as he held her hand under the table. They were telling her about their school days and she found their stories very amusing.

Hatori was clearly the more mature one out of the three. Shigure had told her briefly about his upbringing and about what had happened with Kana. It saddened her that he and Kana had suffered so greatly, but she was able to move on whilst he still suffered in silence. She knew he must have loved her greatly because he had let her go for her own good. Amai knew that was true love.

She also knew that Ayame was Yuki's brother. She could tell that they tried to hide their strained relationship in front of her but she hoped that their bond would be mended.

"So, Amai, do you know what Zodiac animals we are?" Ayame asked.
She nodded. "You're the snake." She then looked at Hatori. "And you're the dragon."

Shigure suddenly began giggling. He lifted his hand to cover his mouth as he giggled quietly and Amai lifted her head to look at him because his shoulders were shaking. Hatori sighed deeply as Ayame also began chuckling.

"What's so funny?" Amai asked, placing her hands on her hips. "Is there some inside joke I'm not allowed to know?"
Shigure waved his hand with a grin still on his face. "No, no. It's just something you need to find out on your own."
"But what's it about?"
Ayame flicked his hair. "Haroti's transformation, dear. I'm sure you'll love it."
"Of course I would! Dragons are so awesome!" She clasped her hands together as her eyes gleamed with sparkles. "I've always wanted dragons to be real. I mean, I know it's not really ideal because of the curse and all but it's so awesome knowing that there's a great dragon in our midst."

Suddenly, Shigure and Ayame burst out laughing while Hatori seemed rather embarrassed. Amai narrowed her eyes at Shigure as he laughed so hard that he was slamming his hand on the table with tears coming from his eyes.

"What is so funny?!" she asked him.

But he continued laughing. She sighed deeply before grabbing him by the ear. He yelled in pain and instantly stopped his laughter.

"Ow, ow, ow! Amai! That hurts!" he complained as he winced from the pain.

Now Hatori smiled in amusement. It was good to see that someone could put him in his place.

She let go of him. "Good."
He pouted as he rubbed his sore ear. "Where did you learn that from?"
"It was in a book I read once called The Adventures of Sinbad and in it, he speaks of his wife who would twist his ear whenever he misbehaved. I aspire to be just like her."
He giggled quietly. "Oh, so you want to be my wife, huh?"
She blushed hard. "I didn't say that! Now tell me what was so funny about what I said."
He lifted his finger with a smile. "Well-"
"You say one more word and I will tell Amai every embarrassing thing you did in highschool," Hatori interjected with a serious tone.
Shigure lowered his finger. "Nevermind."
"Wha-..." Amai now frowned Hatori. "No fair. Come on, Hatori, please tell me what they're laughing about," she pleaded to which he shook his head. She then turned to Ayame and clasped her hands together. "Pleeeaaaase?"
He simply smiled. "No can do, sweetheart. Hatori is so positively mean. If I say anything, he'd surely make me suffer."
She turned back to Hatori. "Pleaaase? It's my birthday," she said, hoping that would change his mind.

Hatori couldn't help but find her adorable, especially with those big eyes and cute pout. He had always wondered what having a younger sister would be like and he already saw her as family. With a sigh, he closed his eyes.

"Okay, I'll show you."
She gasped, her face lighting up. "Really?!"

He nodded once. Both Shigure and Ayame were surprised that he was so willing to show her. They thought that he would just tell her but he was actually going to transform.

Hatori stood up. "I'll need water."
"There's the small river outside," Shigure suggested.
"That will do."
Amai glanced between them in confusion. "Why would a dragon need water?"
Ayame also stood with a smirk. "Just wait and watch."
"Go on, Amai," Shigure said. "You'll have to hug him to see his transformation."

He took her hand and stood up with her. He nudged her towards him, covering his mouth with his hand again to hold back his giggles. She went to Hatori and looked up at him.

"I kinda feel bad now..." she said. "You don't have to show me if you don't want to."
"It's fine. I trust you."
She smiled brightly. "Shouldn't we go outside? I mean, you might break down the house."

Shigure had to turn his back to hide his giggling. It was becoming harder to hold back.

Hatori sighed. "Here is fine."

And then, he hugged her. In that split second, she imagined what she was going to see. She imagined a great, majestic Chinese dragon with huge claws and beautiful scales. But as the smoke cleared, there was nothing in front of her.

"Huh?" She looked outside to see if there was a dragon flying outside but there was nothing. "Where is he?"
Shigure burst, holding his stomach as he laughed. "HAHAHAHA! THIS IS HILARIOUS!"
Ayame chuckled and went to Amai. "You need to look down, dear, not up."

She blinked in confusion before looking down. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head as she gasped loudly. There, in the pile of Hatori's clothes, was a small seahorse.

She suddenly screamed and picked him up. "Oh, no! I broke him!"
Shigure wiped away his tears from the laughter and went to her. "You didn't. That's what he transforms into. We need to put him in the water."

She noticed that he looked as though he was about to die. Panicking, she quickly ran out and carefully lowered him into the water outside. With the water, Hatori was able to swim and not suffocate. She sighed with relief, kneeling down beside the water as he swam about. Shigure and Ayame came out and stood behind her.

"I thought he was going to be an actual dragon..." she said quietly.
Shigure nodded. "At one time, generations ago, those possessed by the dragon would transform into an actual dragon. However, we believe that the curse is slowly weakening."
"If the curse is weakening, then now is the perfect time to break it."
Ayame's eyes widened in surprise. "Break the curse?"
She nodded with determination, her eyes still on seahorse-Hatori. "I will do all that I can to find a way. I've never met people so accepting of me. Even though I shouldn't know about the curse, you all trusted me with your secret. I've never belonged anywhere more than have with the Sohmas. You're all my family and since I've never had a family before, I would do anything for you."

Shigure smiled softly. Somehow, she made him love her even more.

Just then, there was a poof and a naked Hatori was sitting in the little river. Amai screamed and turned away with her eyes closed, even though, luckily, the water was high enough to cover his shame. Shigure already had a towel handy and tossed it to him.

"I would appreciate if you didn't expose yourself to my girlfriend."
Hatori glared at him as he wrapped the towel around himself. "You know I had no control of when I return."

He then left to get dressed. Shigure told her that she was safe to open her eyes and they all went back inside. When Hatori returned all dressed, he made the decision that he and Ayame would be returning to their homes as it had gotten quite late. Shigure and Amai bid their farewells to them at the door.

Ayame held her hands as he smiled at her. "I must say that I truly am pleased with Shigure's choice. He's still the same Shigure we know but you bring out the best in him. It's been years since I've seen him this happy."
She blushed lightly, smiling in return. "Thank you, Ayame. I'm so glad I got to meet you. And I really can't wait to visit your boutique one day!"
"Of course! Make sure Shigure brings you."
"I will!"

He then moved over to speak to Shigure, swapping with Hatori as he went to speak to her.

"I had my concerns when Shigure told me about you. Not that I thought he had made the wrong choice, but concern over what the future may hold for you both," he told her. "But I can see your bond with him is strong. Remain that way and not even Akito can separate you."
"We will," she nodded with a smile. "I'm so glad we met, Hatori. Before you go, I had a request. From both of you," she said looking at Ayame also.
"What is it?"
"Well...I've never had a true family until coming here..." she began nervously. "I... I guess what I want to request is that... Well, I would truly love it if I could accept you both as my brothers."

They were both taken aback by her request. Shigure wasn't, however. He knew that she already saw Yuki and Kyo as her younger brothers. With a life of no true family, it was no mystery as to why she craved to expand her family so much.

Hatori was the first to speak. "I'm afraid your request is void, Amai," he said, causing her heart to deflate. "For I have already accepted you as a sister."
Her entire face lit up. "Really?"
He nodded faintly. "Yes."
Ayame laughed. "Well, I would have it no other way!"
She smiled brightly. "Thank you!"
Shigure chuckled with a shake of his head. "I'm sure you frightened her for a moment there, Hatori."
"I apologise. That wasn't my intention."
Amai shook her head. "No, it's okay. I really hope you both can visit again soon."
"Until next time." He turned and made his way to the car.
Ayame gazed at Shigure. "Oh, my love. To be forced to separate from you once more," he said dramatically.
"Do not forget me, my precious beauty!" Shigure replied just as dramatically as he held his hand out.
Ayame took it but walked away, their hands parting. "I shall never, for you live in my heart."

And then they both gave each other a thumbs up before Ayame left to Hatori's car. Shigure waved them off and then turned to Amai who looked positively lost.

"What?"
She scoffed. "Both of you get a room next time please, I beg you."
He closed the door as they made their way upstairs. "Why? You jealous?"
"If I was jealous, why would I want you to get a room?" Once they reached their room, she began to undress. "I just want you both to be happy."
"I'm already the happiest I can be," he winked at her before getting changed himself.
She laughed softly as she put her pajamas on. "And I am too."

As they got into bed, they lay down facing each other and relaxed. Shigure held her hand on top of the pillows that were still in place between them. He smiled softly and kissed her hand before holding it to his chest.

"You know, if another guy ever flirted with you, I'd get jealous," he admitted.
She smiled in amusement. "Really?"
"Mhm. I can be quite territorial," he joked.
"I suppose it's in your nature," she giggled.
"True," he smiled before kissing her hand again. "Did you enjoy your birthday?"
"I loved it. It was more than I could have ever imagined." She leaned over the pillows slightly to peck his lips. "Thank you for giving me the best birthday."
"You are very welcome." He gently stroked his fingers through hair and held the back of her head. "I love you."
She smiled. "I love you, too."

Their eyes closed as they closed the gap and kissed each other deeper. They were very aware not to get too carried away and to simply enjoy their loving moment. But as the passion grew more heated, they both began to crave more. Tilting his head, he pushed his tongue past her lips and swirled it around hers, making her moan softly. Her hand moved to his chest and began to lower down to the belt of his kimono. But before they could continue, he parted from the kiss.

The gazed at one another with eyes hazed over with love. He stroked her cheek with his thumb.

"I don't know if we can do this," he spoke quietly.
She was slightly saddened by his words. "Okay..." she whispered.
He could literally see the slight disappointment in her eyes, which mirrored his own. "I mean, we can always try... But only if you're ready."
She looked deeper into his eyes. "I am ready. I really want this."
He breathed out a little before softly kissing the corner of her lips. "Okay."

(Lemon or nah? Of course it's not something Shigure would be telling Tohru but it would just be his memory)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.2K 360 16
Hikari Hayami was determined to stay with her best friend, Tohru, no matter what. Even if that meant moving out of their shared tent in the woods and...
75.5K 2K 35
One night, you decided that you wanted to run away. You snuck into the kitchen and stuffed a banana, some bread, and a few apples into your backpack...
70.4K 1.9K 52
Ami was a part of the Sohma family because of her mother but her mother never liked her family and left home. Ami's mother always told her the story...
8.5K 81 4
This story is meant for a mature audience, if you are younger than the age of 16 please read something else. • Characters belong to Natsuki Takaya •...