Wonder Woman ᐅ Steve Rogers

By pawdfoot

❝Of all people you know who I am. I am who the world needs me to be. I am Wonder Woman.❞ First Ave... More

Introduction
Prologue
─ Part I: Origins
i. Living Legend
ii Having Heart
iii. Fear and Terror
iv. Promises
v. Promotion
vi. Captain America
vii. Encountering the Inevitable
viii. Dance the Night Away
x. Gone
xi. The Kid from Brooklyn
xii. Age of Heroes
─ Part II: Rebirth
xiii. The Return
xiv. Recruitment
xv. Having Hope
xvi. Fallen Kingdom
xvii. Vintage Heroes
xviii. Rock of Ages
xix. Of Gods and Goddesses
xx. Stark's Style
xxi. Method to the Madness
xxii. Avengers Initiative
xxiii. Frontlines
xxiv. Valor Among Victors
xxv. Left Legacy
Epilogue

ix. Unbreakable

7.2K 242 116
By pawdfoot

Chapter Nine
Unbreakable

★★★★

The next morning, Steve went down to the base of operations to speak to Howard. He walked towards the desk of a receptionist and asked, "Excuse me. I'm looking for a Mr. Stark."

The blonde woman didn't glance up from the newspaper she was reading and said, "He's in with Colonel Phillips," after she looked up, her demeanor changed and she said, "Oh, of course you're welcome to wait."

Steve nodded and turned to rest against the edge of a desk. The blonde woman smiled and showed him the cover of the newspaper, "I read about what you did."

"Oh, that... yeah. Well that's, you know... Just doing what needed to be done," Steve replied to her.

"Sounded like more than that. You saved nearly 400 men," The woman stared at him, her eyes traveling over his figure.

Steve noticed and shook his head, "Really, it's not a big deal."

"Tell that to their wives," She said and stood from her seat. She walked towards him and stepped close.

"Uh, I don't think they were all married."

"You're a hero," She said and placed a hand on his tie. Steve stood up and backed away from her.

"Well, that... you know.That depends on the definition of-"

"And the Women of America. They owe you their thanks. And um, seeing as they're not here," She said and leaned in closer. In that moment Steve pushed her back and said, "You seem very nice, but I actually, um- I have a... well I don't have- at least not yet I hope, uh..."

"Captain! We're ready for you. If you're not otherwise occupied," the voice of Peggy appeared by the shelf of books. Steve's eyes widened as he rushed after her.

"Agent Carter, wait. Looks like the partner you found wasn't Diana after all," Peggy said to him over her shoulder. Steve's heart clenched at her words.

"Hey, that's not what you thought it was!"

"I don't think anything, Captain. Not one thing. Always wanted to be a soldier, and now you are. Just like all the rest. And let me tell you, Diana deserves more than that. She is beautiful, and kind, and passionate. She doesn't deserve to be cheated," Peggy said firmly.

"Hey, I care about Diana," Steve said in defense. Peggy turned to him as he spoke. "She is beautiful and kind, just like you said."

"Have you told her that?"

"I have to tell her that?"

"You still don't know a bloody thing about women," Peggy said and rolled her eyes. Steve stood in place, more confused and bewildered than ever.

Eventually, Howard found Steve in the same spot Peggy had left him bewildered and confused. After Steve explained his situation to him, Howard said, "Women like to be told that you care for them, my friend."

"Really? I didn't think-"

"Nor should you, pal. The moment you think you know what's going on in a woman's head. Is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked. Me, I concentrate on work. Which at the moment, is about making sure you and your men do not get killed," Howard said as he led Steve to his work area. He pointed down to the uniform he was creating. "Carbon polymer. Should withstand your average German bayonet. Although, Hydra's not going to attack you with a pocket knife. I hear you're uh, kinda attached."

"It's handier than you might think," Steve said, referencing to his shield.

"I took the liberty of coming up with some options. This one's fun. She's being fitted with electrical relays. That will allow you to-" Howard said as he showed Steve the assortment of shields he had made.

Steve glanced down and saw another shield hidden below and grabbed, "What about this one?"

"No, no that's just a prototype."

"What's it made of?"

"Vibranium. It's stronger than steel, and a third of the weight. It's completely vibration absorbent," Howard informed him as Steve admired the shield.

"How come it's not standard issue?"

"That's the rarest metal on Earth. What you're holding there. That's all we got."

The two men heard the door open and turned their heads to see Diana walk in with her battle armor. On her hip, laid her Lasso of Truth, glowing golden, while on the other side, laid a sword. Steve noticed she also had a shield on her back.

"Are you quite finished, Mr. Stark? I'm sure the Captain has some unfinished business," Diana said in an unfriendly tone of voice. Steve noticed her cold demeanor and decided to ask her opinion.

"What do you think?" Steve asked and showered her the shield on his arm.

Diana grabbed the sword from her hip and approached Steve. She let out a cry, before hitting the shield with her sword. Howard held in arm up in shock to block the sparks of fire that fell from every collision the sword and shield made.

After one last hit, Diana drew her sword back and stepped away from Steve, "Yes, I think it works, exceptionally."

Without another word, Diana exited the room with clenched fists. Howard stood up and stepped beside Steve, watching the Amazon wall away. Steve breathed in deeply and reached inside his coat, without tearing his gaze away from Diana's trail.

"I had some ideas about the uniform," Steve said and handed Howard the piece of paper.

Howard stared ahead and reached for the paper. After missing the first time, he grabbed it the second and nodded, "Whatever you want, pal."

Steve nodded in response and followed Diana's trail of exit. He eventually found her sparring with a group of men, who were shooting bullets at her. Steve stood to watch in shock as she deflected every bullet shot at her using the metal bracelets on her wrist.

"Diana," Steve called her name as he approached her. Diana sighed and excused herself from the men she was training and walked towards Steve. She crossed her arms and looked directly at him. "Peggy told you about what happened?"

"She told me about what didn't happen."

"Exactly. Nothing happened between me and that woman, Diana."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, Steve."

"I do actually," he sighed.

Diana raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "And why's that?"

Steve breathed in deeply and connected his eyes with her's. "Because I care about you. A lot. And I have been trying not to, because I didn't think you would even like me."

Diana gritted her teeth and scoffed, "Me not like you? How could I not? You make it bloody impossible not to adore you."

"What?" Steve asked in shock.

"You might be the most oblivious man on the planet, Steven. I care you about you so much. And I tried not to. I tried so hard not to. I couldn't let myself care, but I did and honestly? I don't regret it," Diana said, with her voice breaking. Tears swelled in her eyes after her declaration, which made Steve's face soften.

"Why didn't you want to care?"

Diana breathed in deeply and said, "I cared about someone during the First World War. And I lost him. And I promised myself I wouldn't allow myself to care for anyone again. Then I met you. You, the small boy from Brooklyn, who got beat up behind every diner and every alley in the city. You, the only person who I have ever believed in, in a long time."

Steve watched a tear fall from her eye and down her cheek as she spoke.

"I believe in you, Steve. In the things you can do, for good people," Diana said to him as she stared down. "For the world."

"Diana," Steve said, and lifted a hand to the bottom of her chin. He lifted her head up and met her beautiful, dark eyes. Diana looked up and breathed in deeply when she noticed how close she was to Steve.

That moment seemed to be getting slower by the second. Steve's hand fell to Diana's neck and pulled her closer to his own body. Their lips met in urgency, as if they had been waiting for this moment for centuries. Diana moved her lips along with Steve's while her arms were placed on his shoulders. Steve had one hand on her neck and the other was on her waist. The kiss seemed like it lasted years when the two finally separated.

Diana pulled apart and rested her head against Steve's. Steve on the other hand was breathless as he said, "That-that was..."

"Yeah it was," Dian replied in one breath. Steve let out a chuckle as he continued to regain his breath. When he did, he placed both of his hands on Diana's face and said, "I need you to promise me something this time."

Diana raised an eyebrow and waited for him to continue.

"Promise me you won't leave," Steve said as he looked at her. "Promise me that you'll always believe in me. In us."

Diana titled her head and comprehended his words. After a moment, she nodded. "I promise."

"Alright. And remember a promise is-"

"Unbreakable."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.8K 1K 11
{Steve Rogers x Diana Prince} The Avengers
257K 7.2K 22
❝ Y O U M A Y B E R I G H T , Y O U M A Y B E W R O N G B U T S A Y T H A T Y O U ' L L B R I N G M E A L O N G ...
404K 13.1K 16
"She's perfect." "Yeah, she is." [Captain America x Wonder Woman] [Captain America: The First Avenger]
5.2M 169K 192
WINNER: Marvel Fanfiction Awards 2016 Best Imagines/Preferences/One Shots A collection of reader insert ( x reader) imagines/one-shots/fics of the Av...