The Nymph of Versailles

By KateValent

A 2019 Watty Winner. For fans of Allison Pataki and Philippa Gregory, THE NYMPH OF VERSAILLES is based on the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Author's Note

Chapter 6

2.4K 151 18
By KateValent

The carriage rattled down the road, shaking its occupants at every pot hole and bump. Athénaïs didn't complain or show her annoyance. She was here to seduce, not whine. She sat ramrod straight to keep herself from getting jostled forward against the king's legs. Her husband had taken off from court with no notice or explanation, leaving her free to accept the carriage ride without fear of retaliation. Her flirtations with the king had earned her three more bruises on her wrists and arms, all gifts from her husband. She hated to think what Montespan would do if he found out about the secret lunch she spent with the king two days ago. Louise hadn't been present, and the lunch did nothing but leave Athénaïs reeling in the unknown of what was or wasn't building between her and the king.

Today the king had chosen a ride through the countryside. Tall trees passed by the window at a steady pace and gave them enough shade to keep away the worst of the sun's heat. The guards flanking the carriage reminded her that she wasn't truly alone with the king, but the king was rarely ever truly alone.

The king opened one window, and then the other. "I hope you don't mind, madame. It gets too stuffy inside for me with the windows closed."

"Not at all." The open windows let the warm wind in. The breeze chased away the stale, early summer air. While the fresh air was welcomed, she heard stories of it being less so during winter rides with the king. No matter the season he insisted on opening the windows. The queen complained of it often during the winter.

Escaping the court for a few hours made it easy to see why the king loved hunting so much. The chirping of birds provided a peaceful background to a quiet trip free of courtiers jockeying for position next to the king. He looked more relaxed. His shoulders weren't so rigid and he lounged in a comfortable position. The smooth planes of his face showed no signs of stress or worry. His good looks made her heart skip a beat and she turned her head to hide her blush. Her husband had never been so handsome.

"I think I understand why you like to hunt," she said.

"What do you mean?" He tilted his head, watching her with curiosity.

"It's peaceful out here." She gestured toward the right window. "When you hunt you leave politics behind and all the vultures begging for favors. You get to run away and focus on pleasing only yourself."

He gave her a wry smile. "I see I should be careful around your intuition."

"But is it true? Or do you hunt for another reason?" She leaned forward, forgetting herself until another hole in the road jolted her back against her seat.

The king turned his gaze to the window. "The forest is freedom. I can ride wherever I please and there is nothing more satisfying than a clean kill. When the chase starts, everything else falls away and I become nothing more than a hunter. A successful hunt gives me immediate pleasure, while politics is different. Hunting rewards me faster."

"I don't think of politics as something that gives anyone pleasure."

The king laughed. "Very true." He surveyed the view outside as trees gave way to buildings. "We'll be back at the palace soon." His face grew more serious as the mirth faded away. "I asked you on this ride because I wanted to talk with you. I would like to see you more often, if you are agreeable to it. My evenings are much more pleasant with you around."

Her stomach tightened with anxiety. She squeezed her hands. This was the very thing she'd feared and longed for all at once. Gabrielle warned her he would try to move their relationship along faster and she needed to make up her mind, decide if she was willing to risk her husband's violent anger to become the king's mistress. She made the decision she knew she'd regret not making. Her heart wouldn't have it any other way.

"I did not mean to upset you." He shifted in his seat and leaned toward her. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No." She swallowed the lump in her throat while the king watched her with a blank expression. She stiffened, choosing her words carefully lest she tread in the wrong direction. "I would enjoy your company more often, Sire, but my husband has been angered by your attention. When he is at court he orders me to not dance with you."

"Ah, I should have guessed your husband was behind all your disappearances. I plan to leave St. Germain soon to join my army in Fontainebleau. I wanted you to ride in the carriage with me. There will be other ladies to keep you company, like Madame La Vallière." Riding in a carriage with both the queen and mistress, a ludicrous idea but an offer Sévigné and Soissons wouldn't sniff at and neither would she.

"France is really going off to war then?" The court spoke of nothing else for the past week ever since the king sent Spain a treaty on the rights of the Most Christian Queen on diverse states of the monarchy of Spain. The queen gave up her right of inheritance to Spain's Netherland territories in her dowry settlement. She was supposed to receive half a million ecus for it, but never did. And so the king declared war to increase France's territories under the guise of receiving the long-owed dowry compensation. It was a clever move.

"We are and we will win." He straightened with confidence. "Spain has no chance against my armies. I expect to claim a quick victory. Will you ride with me? I will make sure your husband doesn't come."

"As long as you keep him away I would be honored to share your carriage." She tilted her head up and cast him a coy look. "Any time spent in your presence is an honor and I know you will bring France a victory. I hope to witness as much of it as I can."

Satisfied with her answer, he bowed his head. "You flatter me, madame. I hope to not be gone from you on the battlefield for long. I hope my victory will impress and please you."

Her heart jumped into her throat. The sun shone in the window, bouncing off the king's dark locks. His crown of light reminded her she spoke to no ordinary man, but the sun king. She locked gazes with him, searching his eyes for any sign of his thoughts. What was his interest in her? As a mistress or a short-lived plaything? His soft hands caressed hers, sending heat shooting up her arm. She wondered how those hands would feel gliding across her stomach.

The king smirked, as though reading her thoughts.

"Tell me about the war. How is it to begin?" A change of topic would keep his lust at bay. Now wasn't the time to give in to him. Not until she knew he wanted more than a quick fling to let out his building frustrations over the war.

"I admire your curiosity." He gave her a wink. "And I'm always more than glad to satisfy it." He let go of her hands and shifted in his seat, crossing one leg over the other. "I plan to start with capturing a few Spanish towns by the Flanders border. We have good odds of getting Charleroi and Armentières. From there we'll move on to claiming others for France."

She reached up to press a stray piece of hair out of her eyes. She ran a finger down her neck, drawing the king's attention. "You are by far the grandest king and Spain will know it soon too. I will ride in the carriage and follow wherever you go."

He reached for her hand again as the carriage shuddered to a stop. "I will go to war with a light heart knowing you are waiting for me." A footman opened the door but the king insisted on helping her out himself. "Is there anything else you need before I go meet with my cabinet?"

"All I need is a promise to see you again soon."

"You have it. I will send you an invitation for lunch tomorrow." They didn't get the chance to take more than two steps inside before a small crowd gathered around the king. She curtseyed and backed away. As the king headed down a hallway with courtiers trailing after him, she turned and came face to face with her sister.

"I want to hear all about how it went." Gabrielle crowded in closer to block off any escape.

"It went well, I think." She looked down the hall, hoping to catch a peek of the king's retreating figure.

Gabrielle grabbed her sister's arm and tugged her into the corner where they could see anyone coming from either direction.

"Did you enjoy your time with him?"

"More than I expected. He listens to me in a way Montespan never has and he doesn't dismiss my questions. I like talking with him. If I can get him to loosen up a bit more I think we could have a lot of fun together." She searched for him at the end of the hall again, wishing he'd come back.

"Do you think you'd enjoy being his mistress? Do you want to go through with it?" Gabrielle's gaze bore into her sister.

Athénaïs locked her hands together as she hesitated to answer. "I would enjoy it far more than being married to my husband, but I don't know if I'm capable of wooing him enough. I fear the war will prove to be too much of a distraction."

Gabrielle flicked her fan open to hide their faces. "Do you remember when I had my horoscope cast for me?"

"Yes. Right before you married."

"I was told I would never climb any higher than as my husband's wife. But that didn't stop me from trying to woo the king. I couldn't do it, but I learned from my mistakes. How I moved too fast and threw myself at him too eagerly. With you I think we could win. Mademoiselle Sévigné struts around like a proud peacock and the king isn't attracted to such women. Compared to her we can make you the king's perfect lover, like a nymph born from the Versailles gardens. It's worth trying, isn't it? You will have a handsome man in your bed to lavish you with gifts and get rid of your brute of a husband." She reached out to clasp one of her sister's hands in hers. "It would be good for you and our family. Let's win the king and get rid of Montespan."

Athénaïs shook her head and pulled her hand away despite the way her sister's words made her heart pound in anticipation. "I'm not as optimistic as you. To hold the king would be the greatest challenge I've ever faced. It would take a goddess to keep him."

"Like Athena?" Gabrielle's eyes glittered. "You have beauty and wits, sister. Use them. Don't be quick to give up."

Giggles alerted them to the coming group of women. A few steps later and Mademoiselle de Sévigné walked into view surrounded by three other women. Sévigné walked with proud, haughty steps. Her head was thrown back and he friends surrounded her as though they were her ladies-in-waiting. She spotted Athénaïs and stopped in her tracks.

"Did you hear, Madame Montespan? That little violet who was ashamed of being mistress has been dismissed from court." She held her head high with a wicked gleam of victory in her eyes. "The king needs someone who is proud to be seen at his side. Are you ready to be friends yet? La Vallière can't get you anywhere. It's time for you to leave her behind."

Athénaïs chewed on the side of her mouth to hide her smile. Clearly she hadn't found out about Athénaïs's ride with the king yet. "I never said we weren't friends. I'll follow where the king goes, I assure you. Are you sure she was dismissed? Or is it just another silly rumor?"

"I've heard the rumor too," Gabrielle said. "I thought it was nothing more than that."

The woman to Sévigné's right piped up. She was a young girl, a recent court arrival who couldn't be more than thirteen. "I heard the queen dismiss her with my own ears. You'd be smart to align with my cousin here. She has the king's favor unlike La Vallière. She'll be the next mistress."

"When she becomes the official mistress I will congratulate her. Until then I wish you good luck, mademoiselle." Athénaïs kept her smile hidden. Her rival's rise to mistress wouldn't be easy if she could bend the king's ear.

"You should be careful about declaring victory too early," Gabrielle warned. "The king's tastes can be fickle. You can fall faster than you rise."

Sévigné gave a dramatic roll of her eyes, rolling her head with them. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Don't listen to her," the young maid whispered. "The king will be yours."

Sévigné resumed her walk with the other girls in orbit around her. One of them whispered and the whole group burst into giggles.

"Fools, the lot of them." Gabrielle eyed them with disgust. "Sévigné doesn't have a husband yet. She'll find men aren't so eager to wed a disgraced former favorite of the king once her star has set."

"Her parents are too concerned with the favor their daughter will gain instead of finding her a suitable husband. I don't want to lose sight of the work it will take to win the king. Promise me neither of us will get blinded by what we could gain?"

"I promise."

"Walk with me to my room. I need to go pack. The king asked me to ride in his carriage to Fontainebleau."

Gabrielle grinned. "A very good omen. Let's hope our dear Mademoiselle Sévigné doesn't join you. Be sure to wear one of your best dresses." She clapped her hands together. "Let's get you back so you can prepare to woo the handsomest king France has ever known." They linked arms and took their time lest they catch up with Sévigné's group. By the time they reached their destination, the group was nowhere in sight.

"Remember what I've said. You'd be doing yourself a disservice to not try."

"I will do my best." She opened her door.

"Athénaïs?"A weepy Louise looked up. She sat beside the empty fireplace with a handkerchief balled in her hand. A harried Sophie glanced between the women. Athénaïs took a deep breathe to prepare herself as her mood cooled. If Louise had come here it was for help. She had other friends for comfort. Gabrielle hurried off down the hall.

Louise hiccupped. "He made me Duchess de Vajours. He made me a duchess so he can send me away with a reward for my services as though I'm some servant being dismissed. He doesn't want me anymore. Sévigné has won."

She squeezed her hands together, reining in her emotions. "The king is leaving tomorrow. What will you do? I heard the queen dismissed you." Irritation colored her voice. After years of hearing Louise whine about the king, she didn't want to hear it anymore. Louise already failed as mistress and Athénaïs couldn't save her. Besides, she had her own chance at the position and she would be a fool to not consider taking it.

Louise sniffed and rubbed at her nose. "The queen told me to go inspect my new estate. I'm leaving for Versailles and following the war campaign from there. I will write to the king and try to get back into his good graces." She sucked in a wheezing breath. "You must try to keep Sévigné away from him. She's already gloating to anyone who will listen about my dismissal."

Athénaïs narrowed her gaze and stepped to the side. Weariness clung to her like a veil. "I can't help you. Most of the court has been expecting this to happen for months. It's no surprise. I already did what I could by keeping the king attending your dinners when you hosted them. Go to Versailles and accept your lot and remember the whole court is watching you. Leave with dignity. Denial will draw your pain out."

Louise's face crumpled and she hurled the handkerchief to the floor as she shot to her feet. "Why won't you help me? Sévigné won't give you anything in return! She's no good for the king. He needs to remember his love for me."

Athénaïs let out a growl of frustration. "Help you? You never gave me anything so why is Sévigné any different?" Her voice rose. "My family is still drowning in debt while my husband takes his stress out on me. I've helped you plenty and you did nothing for me. I can't keep putting your issues above my own. Get out." She pointed at the door. "Sophie, make sure she leaves." She stomped out of her antechamber and into the bedroom to escape Louise. With a cry of frustration she slapped a pillow across the room. She wasn't some servant to be ordered about by Louise or Sévigné and she was tired of being hounded for loyalty.

Everyone expected favors for help at court, so why should she be any different? Loyalty never came free at court. She jerked around to stare in her toilette mirror. She wiped away the paints covering her bruise. The fading edges of blue flesh reminded her of a storm cloud. The mark was light enough to be hidden now, but if her husband returned she could end up with too many to show her face to the king. She poked at the edges of the bruise and winced.

She spotted the pink bouquet of lilies beside her mirror and froze. The card tucked into them bore the king's signature. The tension drained out of her shoulders as she leaned over to smell the flowers. The light scent reminded her of the Versailles gardens in spring. She closed her eyes and remembered the last soiree there, but in her mind the fireworks were for her, not Louise. There could be fireworks for her yet.

*

In the morning, Louise's servants readied her carriage. She hung scarlet fabric in her duchess's coach even though only princesses of the blood were allowed to nail such fabric into place. She would be departing for Versailles, but she wouldn't let anyone forget her position. Athénaïs knew Louise waited to leave in hopes of the king changing his mind and letting her join the campaign. He never did.

"Her carriage looks ridiculous," Madame de Sévigné complained loud enough for everyone waiting for the king to hear. "The king is going to forget her. She is like a desperate child clinging to his coat for attention." Her sour expression made her look spoiled. The women riding with the king had already been appointed and Sévigné wouldn't be among them.

"Not riding with the king, madame?" Lauzun asked with a lazy drawl. Several courtiers snickered. "Feel free to join me instead."

She scoffed. "Please, I wouldn't ride with you. What would the king think?"

Her young friend leapt to her defense. "And since you're not riding with the king you can stop the carriage whenever you need to. He refuses to stop for anything."

"Say whatever makes you feel better," Lauzun remarked as he sauntered up to Athénaïs. He winked at her. "We both know who the true favorite is, don't we?"

Her eyes widened at the comment. It was bold of him to say so this early when the court sill had their eyes on Sévigné. She hadn't been ready to believe it herself yet lest she get her hopes up for nothing.

"After all," he continued, "the king likes to ride with his favorites."

Sévigné made a choking sound in the back of her throat and her friends crowded around her, murmuring assurances.

The king stepped into sight with the queen on his arm and his cabinet following him like baby ducklings fearful of losing their mother. Life sprang back into the waiting couriers as they climbed into the carriages and finished last minute preparations. Athénaïs had already emptied her bladder and refused to drink anything to keep the agony of a full bladder away during the ride. Sévigné might not be able to handle the ride, but Athénaïs would endure it with the grace of a goddess. The king would hear no complaints from her.

The queen gave a saccharine smile. Louise's dismissal came as a victory to her, but she didn't understand what her leaving truly meant. Only last month she had remarked to Athénaïs that she didn't understand what kept her husband out so late instead of coming to bed with her. She seemed to think Louise's dismissal would bring him back to her. She hadn't even caught wind of Sévigné's favor yet.

"Madame Montespan," the queen said as she stepped away from the king. "The king told me you will be joining us on the ride to Fontainebleau. I'm happy to have you along."

Athénaïs curtsied. "It is an honor to ride with you, Your Majesty. I hope I will not be poor company."

The queen's gaze wandered to the side. She scowled as she caught sight of Louise approaching the king with her eyes downcast. "You are much better company than others. Mademoiselle Vajours will be going to her new estate since she won't be accompanying my household."

Louise curtsied, her face blazing red. Sévigné's group giggled. Louise looked to the king for help, but he was too caught up in a discussion about the Flanders border with Colbert. The king made for the door and the court stepped to life as they rushed to catch up and push toward the front of the group to get closer to the king.

"Allow me to escort you, madame." Lauzun offered his arm to Athénaïs. They left Louise behind. Athénaïs kept her gaze forward to keep from seeing Louise's look of despair and slumped shoulders. She couldn't help Louise, she reminded herself. Louise dug her own demise.

"What are you playing at?" she whispered. She didn't trust Lauzun. Ever since her family denied him, she kept her distance from him and all the stories about his womanizing ways. She didn't want to entangle her reputation with his tarnished one.

"It never harmed a man to win the good graces of the king's favorite. Since no one else has thought to do so, I figured I'd get in ahead of the pack."

"To think I thought you may have wanted my company for the mere enjoyment of it," she teased.

"Mademoiselle Sévigné is losing favor. The king doesn't like how she struts around acting like she should be treated like a queen. You are going to need friends and spies if you want to be the next mistress, so let's put our past aside and be cordial. We can each benefit from our friendship."

She laughed. "You must really need the king's favor if you are taking a risk on me becoming mistress. Still healing over your skirmish with the king over Catherine-Charlotte de Gramont?" The king had taken a liking to the pretty Catherine-Charlotte at the same time Lauzun had wanted to court her. It led to a spat between the two men ending in Lauzun getting sent to the Bastille to cool off. Having Louise hadn't kept the king from visiting other women at night, Catherine-Charlotte included.

"I'm a gambling man who can't resist a high stakes bet." His eyes narrowed to slits. "A word of advice, distance yourself from Louise. The court doesn't like her and the king has tired of her. If he thinks you will shove her at him, he'll discard you. It's too early to tell who the next winner will be. You can't afford any mistakes."

She scrunched her nose in distaste. "We are women. Not used garments to be tossed out."

"I don't think it makes much difference to the king. He has dozens of eager pretty faces to choose from. He has to find some way to be discerning." He walked her to the carriage door and helped her in. "One last thing," he said as he peered inside. "Don't ask or petition the king for anything on the ride. Don't politic. He might toss you out if you do. Remember, my bets are on you. Don't let me down." He winked again before stepping away to head to his own carriage.

Athénaïs settled in for the carriage ride, preparing to repeat all the jokes her sister had shared with her the night before. If the king desired entertainment, she'd give it to him. She'd make sure he never had a dull moment with her at his side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.8K 1K 29
After Nicole's father died she stopped feeling. She stopped having emotions. Eventually she began to bring the emotions back and felt again. She took...
590K 34.3K 36
{WATTYS 2020 WINNER} {FEATURED BOOK} Paris, 1663. 500 girls selected by King Louis XIV embark on a journey across the seas from their homeland. Each...
984K 12.6K 13
Olivia is a shy, reserved, and lonely 24 years old lady who had fallen in love with a man that ended up marrying her twin sister Sophia, right before...
159K 6.1K 20
The Second Book in the Bride Series Katharine was a peasant girl, living in the streets of Paris when the Lady Eleanor found her and turned her into...