The Last Virgin Standing

By laughterandjynx

(COMPLETED) Charlotte Summers is the last virgin in her school; a school where taking virginity is a sport. T... More

Chapter 1: My Apple is Green, but Their Envy is Greener
Chapter 2: Be Like Alice and Stalk Me
Chapter 3: Boxers, Briefs, and Biology-Oh My!
Chapter 4: Linguine and Luke the Meanie
Chapter 6: Gutter Balls, Bowling Balls, and Newton Balls
Chapter 7: Cue the Cheesy Classics--What, No Rose Petals?
Chapter 8: Take Me Out to the Ballgame-This Works Too
Chapter 9: Anyone Can Have Lady Skills
Chapter 10: Exotic Things Come From Walmart
Chapter 11: Humpty Dumpty
Chapter 12: Post-Sex Food
Chapter 13: Luke's Fan Club: Unparty of One
Chapter 14: Four for Four: Four Cubed
Chapter 15: Condoms Are the New Fifty Shades
Chapter 16: Curiosity Killed the Cat and the Cat Caught the Mouse
Chapter 17: Hugs
Chapter 18: Ogres Are Like Onions
Chapter 19: Puns
Chapter 20: They Didn't Tell Me That Playing Cupid Had Consequences
Chapter 21: One Pot of Jumbled Jambalaya, Please
Chapter 22: Swinging with the Enemy
Chapter 23: Heart to Panties with Mr. Bad Boy
Chapter 24: Choux à La Crème, Escargot, and Prince Charmings
Chapter 25: Turkey for Thought: Maybe Benjamin Was On the Right Track
Chapter 26: More Stubborn Than a Democrat and Brighter Than a Flamingo
Chapter 27: Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust
Chapter 28: On the Stroke of Twelve
Chapter 29: Beers with Peers to Cheer in the New Year
Chapter 30: Baby Hearts Aren't As Cute As You
Chapter 31: Benefits of the Aging Process
Chapter 32: Happy Meals and Second Chances
Chapter 33: Lady and the Luke
Chapter 34: Candles and Love Handles
Chapter 35: Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend
Chapter 36: Easy Breezy Beautiful
Chapter 37: The Ty-Breaker
Chapter 38: Old McDonald Had a Char
Chapter 39: Headlights
Chapter 40: Wake-Up Call
Chapter 41: Luke's Point of View
Chapter 42: Game Over
Bonus: Fun Facts
One-Shot Competition Results + Winning Entry
Bonus: Alec
Bonus: Luke
Bonus: Ian
Bonus: Emma

Chapter 5: One Book, Two Books, One Boy, Three Boys

2.2M 60.9K 49.2K
By laughterandjynx

Trailer by SharonRocks11. Banners by That70sGirl, one of my first readers and friends. 

---

Chapter 5: One Book, Two Books, One Boy, Three Boys

I was too much of a chicken to confront him about Lauren, so I avoided him all week. It was going really well...until movie night. I didn't really talk to him on our rides to and from school and I busied myself with Emma during lunch. During our Barbie movie marathon-his idea, not mine-he turned to me and asked, "What's your problem?"

I stuffed a handful of popcorn in my mouth. "What are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. You've been ignoring me for the past three days. Did I do something wrong?"

Um...yeah, you did. You make me fall for you, don't realize it, and kiss another girl. "No."

"You're such a liar. Why are you angry?"

"I'm not angry," I insisted nonchalantly.

"It's because I got mad that you went out with Ian, isn't it?"

No, but thanks for the excuse, bud! "Yeah, it is. You can't just control me like that. You're not my dad, Luke."

He sighed. "I'm just looking out for you, Charlie."

"Well you don't need to be a jealous pig over it," I said harshly.

Okay, maybe I was just looking for an excuse to yell at him about the whole Lauren incident, but he hurt me. Is it my fault for not telling him that I loved him? Probably. But hey, I wasn't willing to take the risk if he didn't like me either.

He grunted, crossed his arms, and sank back into the seat. I mimicked him, only I had a smile on my face. He was so adorable when he did that. It reminded me of when we were younger and less mature. We continued watching The Princess and the Pauper-my favorite. I occasionally burst into song and sang with the characters...kind of. I kept messing up the lyrics and butchered the tune so it didn't even sound like the original.

"Is there a mute button on your mouth?" Luke complained, shoving two pillows on either side of his ears.

"Ha ha, you're so funny, Luke."

"You suck at singing."

"And you just have the most angelic voice ever."

"All the ladies think that."

"You mean you sing for them too? Well don't I feel special..."

He slung his arm around my shoulder and pulled me in closer. "You are special, Charlie," he cooed, flicking my nose. "You're like my baby sister."

I blinked. Great, I was like his sister. If that doesn't scream friend zone, I don't know what does. Could girls even be put in the friend zone? What would the appropriate answer be? Thanks? I half smiled and gave him a noogie. What? It was the first thing I thought of!

"So how about instead of continuing movie night, let's go out."

"Like a date?"

He laughed and patted my head. "Sure, like a date."

I couldn't help the grin that was forming on my face. Luke had agreed to go on a date with me. Sure, it wasn't official or anything, but it was still a date. And that fact alone made me beyond ecstatic.

"Where should we go?"

"Um...a movie?"

My face fell. "You want to skip movie night to go see a movie?"

"I guess that is a little pointless. Do you have any ideas?"

How about we just make out on the couch? "You're the guy. You've taken girls out on dates before, haven't you?"

He scratched his head and admitted, "It would be awkward if we did the things that I usually do on dates..."

I stared at him blankly. What did he usually do on dates? Then it dawned on me. "Oh..."

He laughed half-heartedly and mussed up my curly brown ringlets. "You're too cute, Charlie."

Just what every girl wants to be called; cute. What was the defintion of that word anyway? Was it to compliment someone who wasn't pretty enough, but you didn't want to hurt their feelings? I never liked that adjective...cute. You use that word for baby siblings, little forest animals...oh goodness.

There was absolutely no chance for us. There was no way he was going to view me differently. Why did I even try? I was just wasting my energy, something I didn't have much of. I just needed to let him go...which wasn't going to be easy at all.

"Let's go to a bookstore," he proposed.

Why did he want to go to a bookstore? "You hate reading."

"But you don't. Let's go get you a new book."

"What do you want?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You're going to buy me a new book. You never do nice things. What's up?"

"Can't I just treat my best friend to a treat without being interrogated?"

"No."

***

"Luke, enough with the free water," I hissed, wretching the pitcher from his clutch.

He rolled his eyes and walked away with a plastic cup in his hand. We were in Barnes and Nobles, and Luke was acting like a child. While I was browsing for new teen fiction novels to add to my library, he was off in the café area, drinking ice cold water and scanning the room for girls. He didn't admit to that, but I knew he was doing it. So yes, I was using water as an excuse for him to stop looking at other females. Possesive, I know, but it's not like I could switch off the jealousy. Trust me, if I could, I would.

I set the pitcher down onto the counter and stomped after Luke, who was headed to the children's section. He sat down on a tiny wooden bench and picked up a thin paperback lying next to it.

"I am Sam," he read slowly, tracing his fingers under the words like he was learning how to read for the first time. "Sam I am."

"Luke, what are you doing? Why are you reading Green Eggs and Ham?"

"It's a classic."

"Wouldn't you rather read the real classics? You know, like Pride and Predjudice, Wuthering Heights-"

"This is a classic. Besides, you're the one who told me to read."

"I meant a book for your age group, Luke."

He shrugged and resumed reading Dr. Seuss. I sighed in defeat and walked back to the Teen Fiction aisle. I browsed through shelves and shelves of books, but couldn't find one that caught my attention. Was it that hard to find an interesting one?

I took a book off the shelf-it had a pretty cover. Yes, I do judge books by their covers. Sue me. I shrieked when I saw an eye staring back at me. The novel I was holding fell to the ground and I covered my eyes. I heard a familiar guffaw, which I immediately recognized as Luke's. I uncovered my eyes and glared at him through the little slot between the metal bookcases. He was doubled over in silent laughter. Jerk.

"Lucas Chandler," I scolded loudly, forgetting that we were in a public place.

I placed my hands on my hips and he looked up, having that 'oh crap' look on his face. Good, you should be scared.

"Sorry?" he tried.

I shook my head. "Sorry isn't going to work. You scared the crap out of me."

"Um...sorry?"

He was just too cute to just stay mad at him. But it couldn't hurt to act like I was angry with him, right? I stuck my nose in the air and stomped off, forgetting about the dropped book. I could hear him yelling out apologizes and his footsteps running after me. I felt him take a hold of my shoulder, jerking me to a stop.

"Tell me you weren't really scared."

I huffed and crossed my arms. "I wasn't scared."

"Ha, I saw you jump back and scream."

"I didn't scream," I muttered.

Luke rolled his eyes and grabbed a random book off the shelf. "I'm buying you this."

"But I don't even want that book."

He shrugged. "I'm hungry and bored. We can come back another time."

I snatched the book from his hand and put it back in its rightful place. "We're not getting this."

"Suit yourself."

He speed walked to the exit, eager to get to the mall food court. I followed him slowly, taking my sweet time. On my way out, I saw Tyler sitting in the café reading a magazine I've never heard of. Why was I so disappointed that he didn't look up? Gah, he needed to be the one that fell for me, not the other way around.

***

"Let me carry that for you."

Beckett transferred the books into my arms into his. "Thanks, but you really didn't have to do that. I can carry them myself."

"That wouldn't be very gentlemanly of me if I let a pretty lady carry it by herself, now would it?"

It's not very gentlemanly to take the innocence of unsuspecting girls either.

"I guess not. Hey, I have a joke for you. What was the biologist wearing on his first date with a hot chick? Designer genes!"

"Ah, clever."

I laughed uncomfortable. "I'm really sorry, that joke was extremely lame."

"No worries, I liked it." He actually understood it? I had to click on the thing that explained the answer and read it like five times. "And no one's ever done something like that before. It was refreshing from the usual flashing."

"You don't have to worry about me doing that."

"So, I know you rejected me last week, but how about another date? If you say no, I promise I won't bother you anymore."

I was starting to enjoy Beckett's company more and more. I wanted him around, so I agreed. "I'd love to. Where are we going?"

"I was hoping we could go the museum. They're opening a new exhibit, but if you wanted to go see a movie or eat dinner or something..."

That was so cliché. "No, I'd love to go to the museum. It'll be fun."

"Great, pick you up at four on Saturday?"

I nodded. "My address is-"

"Don't worry about it. I know where Lucas lives, and you live next door to him, right?"

"Right."

***

"I'm going on a date with Beckett."

"You are? Where is he taking you?" Emma asked excitedly, leaning forward.

"We're going to a museum."

"Boooring."

"I think it'll be fun," I protested.

Emma rolled her eyes. "And this is why I'm the fun one and you're not."

"I can be fun!"

"Why couldn't you go on a date with someone like Alec?"

"He did ask me..."

"He did? And you didn't tell me? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think it was important."

"Of course it's important. Next time anything important happens, notify me immediately, got it?"

I sighed and nodded. My best friend was such a gossip.

***

Saturday rolled quicker than I thought it would. It was time for my date with Beckett. Fingers crossed that it would turn out well and not boring like Emma predicted it would be. I heard the doorbell ring from my room. I spritzed my perfume on my wrists and rubbed them on my neck. Please don't let Dad answer it.

But of course, fate was not on my side. I winced as Dad's voice boomed throughout the house. "You're not Lucas."

"No sir, I'm not," I heard Beckett answer shakily.

"Why not?"

I groaned and decided to go save Beckett from my Dad's questioning process. Dad was a big fan of Luke and constantly told me that we should get married. I never told my dad how I felt about him. If he knew, he would drop major hints to Luke, which I wasn't ready for. Not to -*ention that he would tease me about it.

"Dad, will you stop interrogating my date?"

"I need to make sure he's a good influence on my little girl. So where are you taking my Char?"

"Uh...I'm taking her to a museum."

"See Dad? It's educational and we won't have any fun. Okay, bye!"

I pulled Beckett through the door and slammed the door shut. "Sorry about that," I apologized. "My Dad can be a little..."

He put his hands up. "I understand. Dad's are like that."

"I didn't know if you knew or not."

"You're right. I don't know, but I'm assuming that most dads are weary of their daughter dating guys."

"My dad never really had to go through any of that."

"So you don't think it'll be fun? It's not too late to go do something else if you want."

"No, it's not that! I just wanted my dad to get off my back."

He seemed reluctant, and kept trying to make me change my mind, but I wouldn't have it. I wanted our first date to be something he enjoyed too. It took twenty minutes to get to the museum. Apparently a lot of people were interested in history and artifacts and whatnot. He already had tickets in advanced, which was good because they got us inside the museum before any of the people who were waiting in line.

I stepped onto the marble floors and was greeted by the skeleton of a huge and long dead t-rex. I had to tilt my head backwards all the way to see the entire thing. "Wow," I breathed. "This is amazing."

I heard Beckett chuckle. "This is your first time seeing a full skeleton, isn't it?"

I nodded and looked at him. "How did you know?"

"Just had a weird feeling."

I smiled and we continued venturing the exhibits. I continued pointing ancient artifacts out and Beckett would just nod and tell me more information about them. How did he fit all that knowledge in that head of his?

I'd never thought I would say this, but I had fun at the museum. If it were anyone else but Beckett, I don't think I would've enjoyed it as much. If I kept spending time with Beckett I would be turned into a nerd in no time.

"Okay, so I know this wasn't exactly enjoyable for you, so I'd like to take you out bowling."

How many times did I have to reassure him that it was indeed fun? "Beckett! I had a great time, so don't worry about it. Sure, I'd love to go bowling with you."

"Friday?"

Friday was movie night with Luke, and I didn't want to miss spending time with him, even if he did sometime get on my nerves. "How about Thursday?" I suggested. "I have plans on Friday."

"Sounds great to me. I'll see you on Thursday!"

I grinned, boldly peck his cheek, winked, and then slammed the door in his face. Point for Charlotte.

---

This joke is a play on the word gene, which is a section of DNA responsible for encoding a protein. There are genes (with biology) and then there are designer jeans. Sigh. I hope you all get it. If not, it's really not that important. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.4K 130 21
Ever since Lana was little, it's just been her and her mom. Wanting to be closer to her family in South Carolina, they decide to move. One little iss...
The Bet By Angela

Teen Fiction

150K 3.8K 33
Who could ever think that because of a football game you could find true love? Well Jason Parker wouldn't. He is the schools hottie, captain of the s...
7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...
295 33 34
Mitch Parker, the hottest guy you will ever see, and his two best friends, Ryan Edwards and Noah Richards, are the players, assholes, and 'bad boys'...