The Man My Father Always Talk...

By LizSwann

✨When her eyes met his, she realized he was no longer just her world, he was he... More

The Man my Father Always Talked About
Part I
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
Part II
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
Part III
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
Part IV
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
A New Hope
Part V
50
NOT AN UPDATE
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
68
Epilogue

67

9.8K 239 32
By LizSwann

~67~

Four days after her breakdown, Clara stood in front of a mirror wearing a simple black dress as she tucked her straight hair behind her ear in order to put on her earrings. Her choice to not wear makeup revealed how much pain she was truly in, revealing how broken she was inside. Her eyes seemed to be permanently red due to her tears and lack of a decent sleep. The dark circles under her eyes had lightened up a bit from before, but they were still noticeable. Her light pink lips that would always smile at the smallest things hadn't worn an actuall smile in what felt like forever. She looked completely different than anyone had ever seen. What Steve had told her sunk in, knowing that Tony would have done it over again for everyone, but the pain was still too much for her to bear.

Steve walked her out to the car before he opened the door for her and they left. The ride felt like an eternity before they finally pulled up to Tony's secluded home in the woods where they were immediately met by Pepper and Happy. Pepper wrapped Clara in a big hug, trying to hug away the pain that they both felt. When they were done, Pepper gave Steve a hug while Clara gave Happy a hug. Happy had always been so good to her and Tony.

Morgan came running out from the house in a little black dress. Clara let go of Happy to pick her up and she immediately wrapped her arms tightly around her neck and began to cry softly. She hoisted her niece up in her arms and began to rub her back gently to comfort her. She glanced over to Steve before he approached her placed his hand on her back, guiding her into the house where Peter Parker, Rhodey, and Thor were at. Morgan had whispered to Clara that she wanted her mommy, so Clara set her down and she ran off to find the cherry blond. She looked over to see Peter with a sad smile as he watched Morgan run to her mother.

"She's adorable," Clara started, making Peter look up at her. "She reminds me a lot of him."

"I didn't know..." Peter started, but tried to swallow his grief. "I didn't know he had a kid." Clara noticed his eyes start to water up, so Clara pulled him into a hug. In that moment, she tried to set as much of her pain aside to comfort Peter. Tony had been like a father to him all those years ago, and she knew Peter had already lost enough of his father figures. "I wish I could have helped him," he choked out.

"We can't think like that Pete." Clara said, closing her eyes tightly in hopes of stopping any tears. She thought back to what Steve said as she tried to comfort him. "He did what he did to make sure that Morgan could grow up in a safe world and that you could get the chance to grow up." They pulled apart and Clara rested a hand on his shoulder. "He'd do it all over agin if he knew that you were back and his daughter was safe." Peter nodded his head. Looking at the young boy, Clara realized just how many people Tony had put above himself to give the ultimate sacrifice.

Sooner than later everyone arrived to mourn their lost friend. Rhodey had finished setting up Tony's helmet on the coffee table in front of them to play a message that Tony left. While Clara was sitting down on the couch beside Happy, she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Steve. She lifted her hand up and placed it over his, letting out a soft sigh as she saw a hologram of her brother appearer in front of them.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right?" The voice of her brother made her heart ache even more, knowing she will never hear it again in person. "But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited," Clara looked over to see Pepper, Morgan, Rhodey, and Happy. She looked up at Steve and smiled softly to herself. Even after death, Tony was still bringing people together. "I hope we get it back, and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing."

Clara wiped her eyes as they had started to tear up again. "God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone let alone, you know, to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised. But come on, you know? That epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And, for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in. So I found the time and I recorded a little greeting...In the case of an untimely death. On my part. Not that, death in any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow, it's got me scratching my head about this. Clara says it'll be alright, but even she's wrong sometimes. But then again, that's the hero gig. Part of the journey is the end. Everything's gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to." His hologram got up, almost like he was looking directly at Morgan. "I love you 3,000."

The hologram ended and everyone slowly exited the house. Clara held onto Steve's hand for comfort as they left the house, following Pepper with her wreath decorated around Tony's original arc reactor that was engraved with Proof that Tony Stark has a Heart. On the dock, Clara stood behind Peter Parker and his aunt as she and Steve stood together. While Steve stood with his hands in his pockets, Cara stood with her hands together as she watched Pepper lay the wreath in the lake, letting it float off.

After the service, Thor went up to Clara and pulled her into a big hug. After they pulled apart, he told her something that got a small laugh out of her. He asked her if she would like to meet his new friends and she nodded before he guided her over to a group of unusual companions. She remembered fighting with two of them, the human and the alien, and she remembered meeting the tree in Wakanda. Nebula gave her a sympathetic nod before she gazed down at her feet. Clara was introduced to Peter Quill and Drax the Destroyer properly before Thor placed a hand on her shoulder. "I'm afraid I will be leaving with them Lady Clara, so this is goodbye for now."

"I'm going to miss you Thor," Clara said as she pulled him into a hug and patted his back gently. "It means a lot that you came today."

Thor pulled away and held his gloved hands together. "In all of my lifetime, I have never met a more noble man than Stark." Clara nodded her head and said thank you before Thor and the Guardians took off. The Pyms and Van Dynes were next to leave. Scott thanked Clara for her help in the time heist before he followed after Hope.

Clara was met by Clint and Laura, his wife pulling the brunette into a hug. "It's good to see you again Laura." Clara said as she hugged Laura back.

"If you need anything, Clint and I are always a call away." Laura said, pulling away from her and resting her hands on her shoulder. "I can't thank you enough for what you and the others did."

"It's our job," Clara replied, laughing softly as Laura and Clint did the same. Soon enough, Peter was by her side, urging her to meet his aunt. May Parker thanked her for what her and Tony have done for Peter and Clara couldn't help but smile and the kind woman. After a few minutes, she excused herself before she found her way to the end of the dock, standing with her arms crossed as she looked out at the calm water. The sight was beautiful. It was no wonder Tony chose this place to start his family. She heard footsteps behind her, though she could tell they weren't Steve's. She turned to see Stephan Strange, his hands in his suit's pockets as he came to stand next to Clara before they stood silently and looked out at the water. Though they barely knew each other, he felt like an old friend. "You know, we couldn't have gotten far without you Doc." Clara broke the silence between the two of them as she referred back to the battle.

"Well," Strange chuckled, "We wouldn't be here without your help." He said this referring to all of the Avengers.

A cool breeze blew through their hair softly as they stood silently again. A thought dawned on the brunette as she looked down at her heels. "Did you know?" She asked, looking up to meet Strange's eyes. He raised his eyebrows before she looked back at the water and explained. "Five years ago when Thanos snapped the first time, Tony was stuck in space...." she took in a deep breath before continuing. "When he got back to earth, he didn't talk about what happened up there until one day he just sort of blurted it out. Something about fourteen million something possibilities and how we only won one of them. Was this..." she closed her eyes before finishing. "The loss. The five year wait. Tony sacrificing himself," The words seemed almost impossible to say. "Was this the only way?"

Strange took in a deep breath before answering, "There was never a reality where we won without Tony." The words seemed to bring a little bit of comfort to the grieving sister, knowing that Tony was in fact the only one who could have saved their reality. Without Tony, Thanos would have had his way and half of all life would have stayed dead. "Your brother was a good man." Stephan said, making Clara let out a small laugh before smiling.

"He was a great man," she corrected. Just like everyone else, Strange eventually left and Clara sat down on the dock, lost in thought while the remaining guests made small talk. Clara didn't realize how long she had been out there until Pepper had come down to join her. When she broke her out of her trance, she saw that the sun was going down and stars had begun to sparkle in the sky. She handed Clara a cup of coffee before Clara asked, "How're you doing Pep?" She took the cup of coffee and blew on it before taking a sip.

Pepper slowly sat down beside her, being careful with her dress before finally settling down. "I'm doing as best as anyone could do," Pepper answered. Clara admired Pepper. She was so strong for Morgan though she was broken on the inside.

"How's Morgan?" She asked.

"She's heartbroken. Steve's inside trying to cheer her up with some stories." Pepper said, wiping her eyes to prevent tears from falling. Clara sadly laughed. "But we'll get through it. Tony would want us to get through it."

"Can you do it that quickly?" Clara asked.

"I never said it was going to be quick." Pepper chuckled, though Clara heard the pain in her laugh. The two were silent before Clara spoke back up.

"I should had called or checked up on you Pep." She said, looking over at her sister-in-law. "I only thought about myself and I should have been here, helping you and Morgan." Pepper hushed her before putting her hand on her shoulder.

"We all needed our time Clara." Pepper explained. "You're here now and that's all that matters. I already told Steve, you two are welcome to stay the night."

"Pep..." Clara started, but she was cut off.

"Clara, the last thing I want is for Morgan and I to be alone." Pepper said, her voice sounding weak. Clara nodded and the two walked back inside of Tony's old home. Upon entering, she could hear a small laugh coming from the living room.

"...your dad was the most smartest, most strongest, and most fearless man I have ever met in my life." Steve said as their entered the room. Morgan was sitting next to him as he told her stories about her dad.

Morgan perked up as Pepper and Clara walked in the room. Steve gave her a small smile before she sat down next to him and placed a small kiss to his cheek. Pepper sat down next to Morgan before she picked her up and set her in her lap. "Do you have stories about daddy?" Morgan asked, burying her head into Pepper's shoulder.

"I have a lot of stories about your daddy," Clara started as Steve wrapped his arm around her. She pondered for a second as she thought of stories appropriate for the moment before finally choosing one. "Your father was the best big brother anybody could ever have. He used to stay up with me at night when I had bad dreams and told me that he'd keep the monsters away while I slept." Morgan smiled widely as she continued, "And he would always give me ice cream when I wasn't supposed to have any." The sound of the giggling young girl made Clara smile and her heart mended ever so slightly.

"What else?" Morgan asked.

Clara thought about it for minute. "I'll never forget the look on his face when he told us you were born." Morgan smiled widely. "He had the biggest smile I had ever seen and he could barely talk, he was so exited. He was so so so happy to show you off to all of us, claiming you were the best thing to ever happen to him."

"Don't forget that he was so happy he nearly knocked over one of the nurses, trying to find you." Pepper added, making Clara laugh, a laugh that made her tear up with happiness at the memory of seeing Tony trip over himself in the hallways.

Pepper, Steve, and Clara spent that night telling Morgan all about their memories and their adventures with Tony. The tears that were shed were from laughter, knowing Tony would have wanted it this way and not in sadness. After an hour or so, Pepper took Morgan up to bed and Steve and Clara went to the guest room. They laid down, Clara curling up beside Steve as she let out a yawn. "I'm going to miss him." Clara whispered to Steve. Steve wrapped his arm around her and let out a sad sigh.

"I am too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 148 26
DISCONTINUED 'Destiny leads two completely different people together so they can be there when no one else is.' In which a conflicted new Avenger re...
1.1M 26.4K 26
"You know, it's my fault that bumped into you not the other way around." "Yeah, but it's always good to apologize to a pretty girl like you." [captai...
62K 1.9K 71
Your name is Mya Stark, your father is Tony Stark. You fall for Steve Rogers. One day Bucky Barnes is found and turns your world upside down. From th...
64.8K 2.6K 98
Your mischievous older brother Loki is causing trouble on earth, your original home planet, its up to you and your other brother Thor to stop him. Ar...