33

~33~

Clara sat beside Sam in a beautiful cathedral in London, full of mourners. She had known Peggy when she was younger as she would babysit her and Tony when Tony wasn't old enough. She didn't get to speak with Peggy again once she had gotten older, and now she guilty for it. Sam nudged her shoulder gently to bring her out of her thoughts. They all stood when Agent Margaret Carter's coffin was carried in by Steve and five others. Clara took notice of Steve, his eyes red a puffy. On their flight out to London, Steve had barely spoken a word.

When Steve finished his duty, he sat down between Sam and Clara before she linked her fingers with his to show her support. The priest gave a beautiful ceremony before he allowed a few of her friends and family to say a few words. "And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words." Clara watched as a blond woman walked up to the podium, taking the notice of Steve and Sam.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD...but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy." She said. "She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." She looked directly at Steve at that last part. Clara could only assumed that they had crossed paths before.

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move... it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say, 'No, you move.'" The ceremony was beautiful. Later, after everyone had gone, Steve stood with Clara in the isle of the church, still dressed in black.

"When I came out of the ice," Steve started, "I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her." Clara rubbed Steve's back to try and comfort him as she told him how he felt.

"She had your back, too." Natasha said, coming out of nowhere. She sent her friend a smile before she noticed Natasha's expression.

"Who all signed?" Clara asked.

"Tony. Rhodey. Vision." Natasha said.

"Clint?" Steve asked.

"Says he's retired." She answered.

"Wanda?"

"TBD."

"And what's Tony saying about me?" Clara asked, crossing her arms. "He can't be overly excited that I didn't side with him on the Accords." Steve looked over at her before she clarified, "that I didn't side with anyone."

"Tony is...well, he's Tony." Natasha chuckled. "He asked me to invite you on another trip."

"Trip?" Clara raised her eyebrow.

"I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. He asked if you'd like to join me. There's plenty of room on the jet if Steve would like to join us too." Steve sighed and bowed his head. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve asked. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

"I know." Natasha left after saying goodbye.

"You should go." Steve said, looking down at the floor. "I heard Vienna is lovely this time of year." He didn't want her to side with Tony on the accords, but it would be better for her there than at the compound being chastised by him.