Say It

By fiftyslays

Nia is now a grown woman. A cold one. While she's trying to protect her heart, one guy will attempt to eat aw... More

meet the main cast
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
fifteen | part 2
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty one
Epilogue

thirty

11.9K 1K 317
By fiftyslays

san fransisco, ca | next morning

———————————

Hand in hand, Jace and I entered the facility for cancer treatment. My mom placed her here because it was highly regarded as one of the best cancer treatment facilities in the world.

  I could tell he was kind of nervous about me meeting her. I'm not sure why, but it was cute.

He kept squeezing my hand, asking me if I was alright. I felt pretty confident, however. I mean of course it's a big thing meeting someone's mom. Especially when you have a situation like Jace's where she is all he has.

Meeting someone new is a divine pleasure. Regardless of how things turn out, I love the dance that begins. The most important idea is to be able to get a true feeling for who they are over a few weeks and months without ever forming an opinion of them. You let them develop as a old polaroid photograph, nice and slow.

From what he has told me, she was a sweetheart.

I waited while he signed us both in then when he was finished, we walked to the elevator. He pressed the button causing it to open and we stepped on.

    "You good?" He asked for the tenth time.

I smiled at him and nodded. "I'm fine, babe. Are you okay?"

   He sighed before nodding. "Yea, just nervous. I ain't never had nobody to meet my mama before."

"Really?" I lifted my brow.

Jace shook his head. "Never been this serious with someone."

I squeezed his hand, and smiled. "It's going to go smooth. Trust me." I winked.

He smiled back at me. "You're sound so sure. So confident."

I shrugged my shoulder. "I am. It's refreshing because I haven't felt this way in a long time."

"I'm glad to hear that."

We shared a look as the door the elevator opened. Jace stepped off and I followed just slightly behind him.

I looked around, and into the rooms, nodding my head at the environment. They seem to go beyond to make the cancer patients feel extremely comfortable.

We needed more facilities like these. The only thing I'd change is the cost to put the patients in. Because my mom and I could afford this, it got Jace's mom here.

But what if he didn't have us? What would they do? It wasn't fair in my eyes. Just because you have little resources, it shouldn't stop you from getting the best care.

Her room was the last door on the hall and it was slightly ajar. Jace knocked before pushing the door open. She was laying down, watching Judge Judy while the nurse did her job.

From right off the bat, I could tell she was a patient little lady. I say little lady because she was much smaller than I'd imagined her. Jace evidently had gotten his height from his father.

She turned her head towards the door to look at us. As soon as her eyes fell on Jace, she smiled and it was infectious.

Then, her eyes fell on me. She maintained her smile and without uttering a word, she motioned for me to come to her.

"Ma—"

She interrupted Jace with her hand and continued to motion for me to come to her. I let go of Jace's hand and walked over to her. She held out her hand for me to place mine into hers and I did just that.

It didn't take much for me to realize that she was a spiritual woman.

"Nia." She finally spoke.

She saw the shock register on my face before I could hide it. A small smile played on her lips, I guess she gets that a lot. It wasn't what she said though, her words were like vanilla pudding, sweet in their ordinary sort of way, it was the richness of her tones – luxurious and warm.

She must be a baritone in church. I'm glad I saw her before I heard her voice, I'd never have put the two of them together otherwise.

"How are you, Mrs. Martin?"

"Please." She shook her head. "Call me Rena. It's such a pleasure to finally meet the woman who has grabbed Jace's fragile heart."

"Ma." Jace whined.

I glanced at him with a smile before returning my attention back to her. "It's the truth Jacey, she's stunning. Her pictures don't do her justice."

I made a mental note that she called him Jacey. I thought it was so adorable. He was obviously embarrassed.

"Thank you so much. You look well. I hope they're treating you well here."

Rena nodded her head. "They treat me like the angel I am. Jace told me that you and your mom are covering the cost and I just want to thank you both."

I waved her off. "It's nothing."

"No, it's everything." She squeezed my hand. "Thank you."

"It's my pleasure."

"Now," She cleared her throat. "I'd like a hug from my son." She smiled at Jace.

"Finally." Jace playfully rolled his eyes as he walked over to where we were. He placed a kiss on his mother's cheek and hugged her tightly. "I've missed you."

"You saw me yesterday Jacey." She chuckled as she placed a kiss on his cheek.

   "Jacey is so cute." I smirked.

"Ma, I thought we agreed not to call me that around her?" He frowned slightly.

     Rena chuckled a bit. "Aww my baby's embarrassed."

"I think it's so adorable." I shrugged.

     Jace took a seat next to me and leaned forward. "How are you feelin' Ma?"

Rena smiled at him. "I'm fine. Stop worryin'."

    "Okay, are you hungry? I can go get you some food."

She nodded. "Surprise me."

    "Okay." Jace looked over at me. "You wanna come?"

"If you don't mind," Rena spoke up before I could respond. "I'd like for the pretty girl to stay."

    Jace looked at her then at me. I only shrugged. "I'm not gonna go against her wishes."

Jace chuckled and nodded before getting up. "I'll be back then. Be nice." He looked at Rena.

   "I'm always nice baby boy."

Jace walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. I looked back at Rena who was staring at me with a smile planted on her face.

   Getting a better look at her, her features reminded me a lot of Jace. While he'd gotten his height from his father, he'd gained his beauty from his mother.

They had the same eyes, lips and cheeks. A smile to brighten up your day whenever you were down.

    We talked about Jace and how she'd raised him. Once in a while I would close my eyes and listen to her voice, to the quick wit and laughter. It was so soothing.

She had a calm demeanor about her, another thing Jace had inherited from her.

   She recalled many times where she told me stories about how he was afraid of the dark when he was a child. It was so cute to me.

I could tell that Jace was her world. He was lucky to have her as a mother, but she'd tell you that she was the lucky one.

   I admired her personality. In my eyes, she seemed to dazzle with an indescribable light, so rich with emotion that even I, with all the years she will never be able to get back, garner immeasurable envy.

"I like the nurses here." She said causing me to come back to earth. "They remind me of me."

   "You were a nurse?"

"Mhmm." She nodded. "I was a LPN. It was tough, being away from Jacey all the time. But, we managed. He was a sweet boy. Still is." She reminisced with a smile.

    "How was his father?" I asked.

Rena looked at me. "He was special. A bit rough, but that's how I like them." She winked.

    I laughed and nodded in agreement. "I hear that. Jace is sweet, but can get rough whenever it's needed. I love it."

Her smile faded a little. "Percy did everything right, but he loved the streets too. Maybe more than me. I knew that. But, he was great father to Jace. I thought, maybe, that'll keep him from being in the streets. And it worked until it didn't."

      I looked at her as tears formed in her eyes. The love was still potent. She never moved on from losing her husband. I could tell that she just placed her feelings to the side to raise Jace.

She made it her business to keep Jace away from the life his father lived. She wasn't going to lose her son, too.

   "That's why I'm glad Jace has you now." She looked over at me.

A little confused, I leaned forward. "What do you mean?"

    "I'm dying, baby." She said with no fear in her voice. It threw me off guard because I wasn't expecting her to say that. "I know the stages."

"How can you be so sure?"

     Rena was quiet for a second before she spoke. "I wanted to meet you. I asked God to grant me that wish. But only when you and Jace were ready. The fact that I'm meeting you is showing that there is a shift. Jace is ready to live this world without me. If he didn't have you, I'm not sure he'd survive." She explained. "And that also means that you are transcending. Jace told me everything about you. You're ready to love my Jacey to the best of your abilities. I can go home now."

I sat back in my seat, taking all of that. "Wow." That's all I could say.

    In my eyes, death was not kind. It snatched where it could, taking people who were far too young, far too good.

Death had ripped away a part of me once, the part of myself that was most loved.

   But, Rena made it sound like death was her friend. That death was taking her to a place she belonged. I never quite saw it that way.

I never heard anyone welcome death. Maybe because she knew it was inevitable? Even I know that, but I still don't want to die.

    She also said that she knew the stages. So maybe this was the stage of acceptance.

She obviously not worried about how Jace would take it. I didn't understand her confidence in me. As I said, however, she seemed like a spiritual woman. I should take the compliment.

    "Are you going to tell Jace?" I asked just above a whisper.

Rena sighed softly. "He knows. He's just in the denial stage. False optimism."

     "Well, how are you taking this?"

She smiled. "I'm fine. I'm ready." She looked at me. "I'm so tired, baby. I've fought long enough."

    After she'd said that, Jace walked back into the room with her food. I cleared my throat and sat up in the chair.

"Okay Ma, I got ya favorite." He said, removing the food from the bag.

   "Mm, smells like a gyro." She slowly sat up and I quickly got up to help her.

"You kno' it." He smiled and put it in front of her.

    I looked at him, now really concerned. His mom was dying and I'm not sure if he really knew or if he was really in denial.

He looked at me. "I gotchu one too."

   "Thank you babe."

I took the sandwich and thought about how I was going to bring this up.

   Or did Rena even want me to?

I'm sorry for the long wait. Life has been so busy for me. I hope this chapter was good. The book almost coming to an end if you can't tell 🥺. I'm sad.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

440 55 10
Briana wasn't in the business of getting her heart broken again. But Blood made that complicated, they completed each other but at what cost?
123K 5.7K 22
Love, it makes you do crazy things. What would you do if you found out your husband was cheating on you? Would you leave or stay? A woman tries to d...
8.5K 1K 41
LaNyiah 20 about to be 21 aka Nae, Just wanted her life back to normal. Well it was never normal once she hit her freshman year of college. Major pie...
138K 2.6K 35
A black girl , who suffers from all type of anxiety social , relationship etc). Has to learn how to live with herself but in peace. Mental Health is...