twenty two

wednesday | san francisco, ca

———————

Mariyah had movers come in this morning to get her things. She was officially moving back to LA today which made me kind of sad. I was going to miss her and Summer's presence.

"Are you going to miss me?" I asked Summer as I carried her out of my room.

She nodded her head. "Alot." She added.

"Auntie NiNi gonna come visit you, okay?" I looked at her.

Summer smiled at me. "Otay."

I laughed as she giggled, placing her back on her feet. I looked for Mariyah, letting my bare feet hit the cold, hardwood floors.

She was in the kitchen, per usual. The girl was always eating and I often wondered where did the food go.

"Have you found a place yet?" I asked.

Mariyah shook her head. "Not yet. Just going to stay with my mom until I do."

I nodded my head, and sat on one of the barstools. "Has your Dad written you again?" I asked gently.

I knew this was a sensitive topic, but I just wanted to check in to see how things were going. We really hadn't much time to talk. I guess this was how adult life was.

"Yes, he has actually." She laughed bitterly. "He's always been persistent."

"I hate you still have to deal with him."

She looked at me. "He's my Dad. Will he ever go away? I mean, truly go away?"

I didn't have an answer for that. Only because I'd never been in her particular situation. My attacker wasn't my Dad. I don't know what's that like.

"I just don't want you to feel like you have to deal with him because he is your Dad."

Mariyah shook her head, glancing past me to check on Summer, who was playing in the middle of the living room floor.

"Nia, I've been fighting all of my life. Fighting to get away from him." She looked back at me. "Ever since I was six. Trust me, I know I don't have to. And I'm not."

I placed my hand on top of hers. "That's refreshing to hear. And I think you should talk to your mom."

Mariyah sighed softly. "I know I need to, but it will hurt me to find out that she's allowing his access to me."

"There's a time and a place for everything." I said. "I understand the fear. However, Summer's safety comes first."

"That's her grandmother."

I nodded my head, understanding. "I'm not telling you to take her grandmother away from her. That's not my place. I just want you to see everything and not be blindsided. You and Summer deserve that much. From friend to friend."

Mariyah nodded and smiled at me. "Look at you." She nudged me. "A mini Naomi."

I smiled back. "Speaking of my mom, she had a heart attack yesterday."

Mariyah's face dropped and her eyes widened. "Really?! Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she's fine. She's going home today. Just stressed out and overworking herself." I explained. "You know she never rests."

"Well, being for the community is no small task." Mariyah said. "I hope you and your family don't expect a change overnight. Women like her have to learn self care."