The Guarded One ✔

Od RoseCarter501

They say that when guarded people let you in, it's not because they need you. They stopped needing people alo... Více

Preface
Cast // Aesthetics
Excerpt
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
BONUS CHAPTER
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Five

885 54 4
Od RoseCarter501

I drink my bourbon quickly, before slowly walking up the steps of their home. The bottle stays in my right hand while my left presses against the doorbell, making it resemble a siren.

The dark sky sits above me with the stars shining bright. The sky always looks so much better when I'm drunk.

When the door opens, I stand slouching down, looking up at my friend.

"Jesus, you're wasted aren't you?" Tyler assumes while opening the front door.

"Are you crazy?" Jess cries while pushing past Tyler. "Do you have any idea what time it is?" She glared at me.

Jess places her hand on my chest, pushing me away from the door and onto the front porch. Tyler shuts the door behind him and walks towards us.

"You're a liar!" I yell, waving my index finger in the air, "she is different"

"What are you talking about?" Jess questions.

"She's gone" I slur my words. "And she ain't ever coming back!"

Hayden will never be Hayden again. She's dead. She's gone. Her memory is nothing now.

"Jason—" Tyler places his hand onto my shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" I order, pushing his hand off me.

"Jason, what's happened?" Jess questions.

"Hayden's gone!" I yell with tears rolling down my cheeks, "she doesn't remember me or...."

"What do you mean?" Tyler questions.

"Oh, haven't you heard? Hayden says I'm a stranger" I slur my speech whilst attempting to steady my balance. "I'm nothing to her!" I wave both arms in the air.

"Calm down" Tyler begs.

"I will not calm down!" I scream.

"Jas, you need to talk slower" Jess sighs "I can't understand what you're saying"

"She doesn't remember" I then unscrew the lid from the bottle bourbon slowly, "maybe Jimmy was right"

"Jimmy?" Jess furrows her brows.

"I hate Jimmy, you hear me!" I scream, glaring at Jess, dropping the lid onto the floor.

"Jess, go inside" Tyler begs her.

"No, I'm—" she starts.

"Now!" Tyler orders.

"I'm not going anywhere" she deadpans.

"That little bitch knew and she still kissed me" I shake my head before punching the pole beside me at full force. "Ahh, that hurt" I look down at my knuckles.

"Who?" Jess questions.

"Hayden!" I yell at the top of my lungs before looking at Tyler, "when did you get here?"

"Okay, I think you've had enough" Tyler starts, attempting to take my bottle away from me.

No, not my bottle. I need it. It numbs me up. It makes me feel good again.

"No!" I cry, immediately swinging my right fist against his face, making him stumble backwards.

Jess quickly moves to her cousin who is now bleeding on the floor. She drops to her knees to aid him.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Jess screams at me.

What did I do? I slowly take a few steps back. What have I done?

"I'm sorry" I sob, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry"

I didn't mean to do that.

I didn't.

I didn't.

"I'm okay, Jess" Tyler assures, wiping his bloody nose. Suddenly his phone rings violently. He presses it against his ear. "Yeah? What? Wasn't she supposed to be discharged today? Duncan, slow down!"

Jess' eyes widen "did something happen to Ayla?"

Ayla? Nah, Ayla's okay. Duncan said she be okay. She okay. I know she is.

"Oh my God" Tyler lowers his voice, "and the baby? Fuck I'm sorry man, where are you now? Do you need me to pick you up?"

"What's happening?" Jess cries fearfully.

I furrow my brows. Why is she getting so upset? What is Tyler talking about?

"Okay, see you soon bud" Tyler ends the call before looking over to Jess who shakes her head violently. "Ayla is dead...and so' the baby..."

"Oh my God" tears stream down Jess' cheeks, "oh my God! Fuck...Duncan, Jesus...Where's Duncan?"

"At the uh hospital," Tyler says slowly. "He um...He said that her uh placenta separated from something and she hemorrhaged..."

"Jesus" Jess sighs. "We need to see Duncan"

Tyler nods "and what will we do about him" he points to me.

Suddenly I feel something erupt from my stomach. I bend down over the grass while a liquid leaves my lips.

"For fuck sake" Jess screams, "we'll drop him off first"

Suddenly I feel a pain across my scalp, I look up to find Jess' hand on my head, pulling at my hair.

"Ahhh!" I scream at her while she drags me to Tyler's car.

***

When I open my eyes, I am laying on my bedroom floor. My head pounds while I try to sit myself up.

What happened last night?

I look around to find my shoes and shirt scattered across the floor.

When my cellphone rings, I see Aunt Laura's name flash across the screen.

"Hello," I greet.

"Hey kiddo, I missed you last night...And again this morning" she starts, "you know all these extra hours I'm getting are really taking a toll on me"

Aunt Laura has been working so hard lately, she needs a break. I feel like I haven't seen her in weeks, despite living under the same roof.

I smile "how bout dinner, tonight? I'll cook"

"That would be great," aunt Laura says, "I've got to go, I'll see you tonight"

When the call ends. My cellphone rings again, only this time it's Jess.

What does she want?

I answer the call and press my cell against my ear.

"What the fuck is wrong with you! Are you fucking brain dead? You jackass!" She screams.

What's her problem?

"Good morning to you too" I yawn while moving myself onto my bed.

"What the fuck were you doing last night?" She yells.

"What are you talking about?" I ask in confusion.

I remember coming home from school after arguing with Hayden and that's about it.

"You were at my house last night you brainless idiot!"

"Was I?" I furrow my brows, "I don't remember a lot from yesterday, to be real with you"

"What?" She cries, "wait so you don't know?"

"Know what?" I roll my eyes.

Why was at her house? Probably to let her and Tyler know that Hayden is a bitch who likes to use people.

"Ayla and the baby are dead, Jason" She announces, "there were...complications last night and they didn't make it"

My eyes widen in disbelief. My heart falls from my chest.

Oh God, Duncan?

------------------------------

A/N

I remember how hard it was the first time I wrote this book (2/3 years ago) to end Ayla's story. In the original, she was a bigger character then she is in this version, which made it easier.

Also, the baby survived in the original and Duncan became a dad which I decided to change as it was too similar to the Chris and Elise story.

The next few chapters are huge for both Jason and Duncan, I hope you all enjoy.

Thank you

- Rose xx

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

182K 6.3K 41
Summary It must sound very cliché but this is my story, the story of a nerd ( aka me, Emma) and how my life turned upside down In A mere couple of m...
433 26 21
This is a story about a teenage girl called Lala. Even though she often smiles with everyone, deep down, she tends to keep herself locked away in ord...
45 34 34
Sometimes the one you love, is just a temporary part of your life *********** New college student, 18 year old Hallie Cook was looking forward to the...
67 6 19
Claire and Mark met at the age of 13 quickly became a couple for 5 years until they broke up when Claire got accepted into a college out of state and...