Back in Black // Sirius Black

By SiriuslyBri

Murderer. Betrayal. Insane. Liar. Those were the words everyone, even her closest friends, used to describe A... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 11

6.1K 213 340
By SiriuslyBri

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

As much as I wanted to see my children, I didn't reach out to them when I arrived at Hogwarts. Instead, I stayed hidden in Remus' office, focused on the task at hand.

I was a wreck, longing for the truth about Sirius, Peter, and the Potters. At night, I scoured the grounds in my Animagus form, sniffing all around Hagrid's hut, where I knew Peter must be hiding as a rat thanks to the map. Still, I never found the sneaky man. During the day, I drove myself mad searching the map for any sign of Sirius. Remus and I conspired about what Peter's life meant and how history truly played out. I couldn't think on our theories or the implications. Some of them seemed too good to be true. I refused to assume anything until I heard the words directly from Sirius' mouth.

Finally, when I was just starting to nod off while sitting in Remus' office chair, he awoke me.

"Lexi!" Remus yelped. I jumped at the sound, sending papers flying off his desk. "Look."

Remus tapped the map with his wand. I leaned over and suddenly felt reenergized. Peter Pettigrew was on the move! 

"Remus, we can't just stand here!" I exclaimed. "He's with Harry."

My godson's name appeared right beside Peter's, along with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. 

"And do what?" Remus asked. "Frighten the children? What if we are wrong? We can't just kidnap their 'pet' rat! What if Peter has just been in hiding because he is afraid of Sirius, who truthfully tried to murder him as everyone thinks?"

"Oh, but Remus, what if we are right?"

My heart fluttered in my chest. Suddenly, Remus cried out. He threw the map down as if it were searing hot.

"We need to go, now! He's heading for Harry!"

I only caught a glimpse of the name 'Sirius Black' on the map before Remus started to rush out of the office. I felt like I was going to be sick. I hadn't felt this close to seeing Sirius in years. As we frantically left the office, I didn't think for one moment about the wolfsbane potion we left sitting on Remus' desk.

The sun was starting to set as we fled the castle. Remus clutched my hand. I felt like I was running through a dream, a million thoughts swirled through my head, and I still felt sick to my stomach. We reached the Whomping Willow, and Remus dropped my hand, waiting for me to shift to my Animagus form so I could stop the tree from crushing him.

"I'm not ready to see him again," I whispered breathlessly. The Whomping Willow quaked, daring us to step forward to the secret passage.

"You don't have to be," Remus hissed, and held me at an arm's length. I could see the courage in his bloodshot, green eyes. "This isn't about your twisted love story, Lexi! This is about saving Harry! No matter what the truth is about that Halloween night, Harry is currently stuck in the shack with a murderer- the same spy who killed his parents! What would Lily want you to do?"

With a simple nod, I started to shrink to the ground, becoming my lithe, black fox Animagus. In a quick dart, I reached the trunk of the tree and pressed the knot with my paw. The Whomping Willow froze, and Remus followed me into the passage. Wordlessly, we travelled the familiar tunnel until we reached its end. I could hear the yelling of a young girl. I shifted out of my Animagus form and gripped Remus' hand for dear life. Every fiber of my being seemed to shake as Remus shoved the door open.

"Expelliarmus!" Remus shouted.

Wands flew through the air, rendering Harry and Hermione defenseless. Hiding behind Remus' tall shoulder, I peeked in the room, soaking in the scene. The three Hogwarts students stood on one side of the room, protecting an injured Ron. On the other side of the room... I froze.

Sirius.

The man was a shadow of my husband. He was thin, with long, tangled hair streaked with some grey. The bags under his eyes made him have a ghoulish appearance, but the regal facial structure still dominated. I nearly faltered while mesmerizing this new appearance when I regarded his mustache and beard, for he once said facial hair was overrated. Even stranger was the cat clinging to his chest, and I knew his opinions of feline creatures. Yet, his grey eyes held me fast, rooted to the spot, and he stared back in disbelief.

"Where is he, Sirius?"

Remus interrupted my thoughts. Sirius madly smirked at me, then pointed a thin, pale finger at Ron Weasley. 

"But then..." Remus muttered, "... why hasn't he shown himself before now?"

"You were never their Secret-Keeper," I said as I realized the truth. My voice trembled. "You never told me? All this time..."

Sirius' eyes focused on mine. My voice cracked as I spoke. Remus squeezed my hand tighter. I felt horrible, for the way I blindly followed the results of the trial, my suspicions that Remus was the spy... when the rat was right beneath our noses all along. Sirius' grey eyes were full of pain. The one secret he kept from me tarnished his memory for years.

"Professor?" Harry interjected. "What's going on?"

Remus didn't answer Harry's question. Instead, he stepped forward and pulled Sirius to his feet, hugging his previous best friend for the first time in thirteen years. Next, Sirius turned to me. My heart started to skip beats.

"My love-" Sirius croaked, his voice riddled with emotion. 

I rushed forward and wrapped my arms around his bony frame, the tears soaking his soiled robes. His rough hands found their way to my cheeks, and he pointed my face to his. After all the years of hardship, I still saw the young boy I fell in love with in his silvery eyes. His lips crashed into mine in what had to be the most anticipated kiss of all time. The truth felt clearer than ever. Any doubts about his loyalty and love I ever held washed away in seconds. I pulled back sharply, longing for more, but knowing this was not the time to make up for lost time. We were breathless, searching for the thirteen years of words we wanted to say to each other. During our passionate kiss, I hadn't realized Ron Weasley staring at me in disgust and that an argument had erupted between Remus, Hermione, and Harry.

"-he's a werewolf," Hermione shrieked, pointing a finger at her professor. At her advance, I suddenly stepped between the pair, defending Remus as I always had. I had a sudden sinking feeling in my gut. I knew Remus' employment was contingent upon keeping his furry little problem a secret from all students. Remus clucked his tongue. 

"Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione," said Remus. "Only one out of three, I'm afraid. I have not been helping Sirius, and I certainly don't want Harry dead. But yes, I am a werewolf."

The injured Ron attempted to get up, and Remus lurched towards him. 

"Get away from me werewolf!" Ron yelped. He looked at me with a scathing expression. "And you! We should have known! Does your daughter know you've been in cahoots with your brother-in-law?"

"Brother-in-law?" Sirius questioned.

"Husband," I corrected. "I am the proud wife of Sirius Black, and Cassie is his daughter. But I lied, Ron, telling everyone I married Regulus, for the safety of my children. And I have not been in contact with Sirius since his imprisonment. In fact, until today, I thought he was just as much of a traitor as you do."

"You're both lying!" Harry countered. "You had to have helped him into the castle and to our dormitory and-"

"If you will just give us a chance, we can explain," Remus exasperatedly sighed. He threw the wands back to Harry, Ron, and Hermione, pocketing his own. "There. Now you're armed and we're not. Will you hear us out?"

The three students regarded the three adults. Harry boldly stepped forward, reminding me of his cocky father and fiery mother.

"If you haven't been helping him, how did you know he was here?" Harry questioned.

"Why, the Marauder's Map, of course," responded Remus.

"You know how to work it?" Harry marveled. I snickered.

"My boy, we made the bloody thing," I explained. "Allow me to introduce Moony..." I pointed at Remus, "... Padfoot..." a point at Sirius, "... and Wormtail." a point at Ron.

"I don't know who you think I am," Ron gulped, "but I am not a Wormtail!"

"The important thing is," Remus went on, "Lexi and I were analyzing the map tonight. We watched you leave Hagrid's hut with the very person we had been searching for."

"No one was with us!"

"On the contrary, Harry. And then Sirius Black approached you, and we knew you would be in danger, him leading the four of you to the Shrieking Shack-"

"Four?" Ron said. "Can you count? There are only three of us here!"

"No, Ron," I explained and eyed the pocket of his robe. "Four."

"Ronald, can Lexi and I take a look at your pet rat?"

Ron looked alarmed. He defensively put a hand on his pocket.

"What's Scabbers got to do with anything?"

"Everything," Remus emphasized. "Could I see him, please."

Rather hesitantly, Ron pulled a dusty grey rat from his pocket. The sight was unmistakable. I recognized him despite his weathered, stress-ridden appearance. Sirius seemed to drool at the sight. 

"What?" Ron asked again. "What's my rat got to do with anything?"

"That's no rat," Sirius croaked. His lip curled upward in a sort of snarl.

"What do you reckon? Of course he's a rat-"

"No, he's not," disputed Remus. "He's a wizard."

"An Animagus," Sirius seethed, "by the name of Peter Pettigrew."

Ron, Harry, and Hermione all exchanged looks. 

"You're all mental," Ron clucked.

"But Peter Pettigrew is dead!" Harry said. "Sirius killed him twelve years ago!"

"I meant to," Sirius growled. "After the betrayal he played on me and your parents... I couldn't believe it. Bested by the weak, little rat. Not today! I will get the vengeance I deserve and finally commit the crime I was imprisoned for!"

Sirius leapt at Ron and I forced myself between them. He regarded me with the same mad expression he had in his mugshot. His face twitched with impatience, but I stood firm, my hand pressed against his chest.

"Sirius, NO!" I commanded. He froze, like an obedient dog. "Wait! They need to understand, we have to explain! He was Ron's pet! You owe Harry the truth, think of James, my love. Think of the explanation you owe me."

Sirius' face softened and he stopped trying to claw towards the rat. The room was filled with silence except for Peter's squeals. My husband lowered his guard and leaned near my side. Ron fearfully looked from me to Sirius.

"You're all mad! Complete bonkers!"

"Hear us out," Remus interjected. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!"

"But, Professor," Harry started, "there were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die. A whole street full of them..."

"This is the part I can't figure out either," I sighed, looking to my husband for clarity.

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" Sirius hissed. "Lexi, you've got to believe me! Peter is alive, and the boy is holding him!"

"The map never lies..." I muttered, the realization coming to fruition.

"But..." the young, wise Hermione spoke. "Peter Pettigrew can't be an Animagus! We studied them with Professor McGonagall. There have only been seven Animagi registered through the Ministry of Magic this century and Peter Pettigrew's name was not on the list!"

I couldn't help but let out a barking laugh.

"You were right about this one, Remus, very bright!" I noted. "But McGonagall and the Ministry never knew about the four unregistered Animagi right under their noses!"

"Love, quicken the pace," Sirius grumbled beside me. His eyes were fixed on the rat. "I've waited twelve years for my revenge. I can't wait much longer."

Remus, Sirius, and I started to relay the condensed tale of the beginning of the Marauders. I fondly recalled practicing magic beyond our years in the room of requirement. The students were in awe when we told them how all four of us successfully became illegal Animagi to help control Remus' lycanthropy. We told of the creation of the Shrieking Shack legend and our monthly, dangerous adventures. I was fond of these Hogwarts memories and our antics. However, I was not so fond of the last key explanation we recalled to the trio- the prank Sirius and I tried to play on Snape. The prank that nearly got him killed by Remus.

"So that's why Snape doesn't like you," realized Harry, "because he thought you were in on the joke?"

"That's right."

The familiar voice sent chills down my spine. Out of instinct, I grabbed Sirius' arm for comfort. The voice was the same one that I had the displeasure to speak to at a conference with my daughter after she coated the inside of his demonstration cauldron with explosive powder.

Severus Snape suddenly appeared in the room, pointing his wand at Remus' heart.

<<>><<>><<>>

A/N:

Super busy this week (so a short A/N), but proud to say I've been writing some excellent and fun chapters (I was just writing a chapter on the third task in GOF)! Still managed to keep on schedule this week. 

Question of the week: what is your favorite class if you are still in school or what was your favorite class if you're out? Least favorite? My favorite class ever is physics (interestingly this is not what my career is focused on) because I've gotten to do so many amazing experiments to prove theories. My least favorite class is anything related to history. I'm terrible at memorizing those sorts of facts!

I hope you're all staying healthy. Lots of people in my family fell ill to COVID in the last month and it has not been a pleasant experience. Everyone is recovering well, though!

Love, 

Bri

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

440K 10.7K 53
(Re-editing) It's clear that Severus Snape has never been great friends with the chaotic group known as the marauders but when his twin sister must b...
60K 1.3K 27
❝ You gonna get dressed or keep standing there looking pretty? ❞ ❝ You think I'm pretty huh? ❞ ♢♢♢ Alexandra Serena Lestrange-Tonks, known as 'Al' by...
267 15 7
Sirius Black is happy. He has a secure job, a roof above his head, a loving relationship and the best friends one could ever imagine. Sure, the incre...
684K 16.4K 85
Diana Faye Lupin The twin Sister of Remus Lupin. The only girl who's immune to a Certain boy's flirtirous actions. The last girl you'd expect to fall...