The Weight of the Universe |...

By getbuckyplums

▷Set in Infinity War and Endgame It's all been leading to this... Six Infinity Sto... More

Introduction
Part I
Prelude
Prologue
0. Help in Norway
1. Travel Delays
2. Strange After All
3. Undying Fidelity
4. Welcome Back
5. Broken Promise
6. Space Visitors
7. The Next Step
8. Home sweet Home
9. Medicine
10. Reunited
11. Nidavellir
12. The Battle of Wakanda
13. Stormbreaker
14. A new Hope
15. The End Game
Epilogue
Author's Note
It's out!
Part II
Prologue
16. Aftermath
17. No Trust
18. Inevitable
19. A World Alone
20. Liabilities
21. Lost and Found
22. A new Family
23. Panic Room
24. Better By Myself
25. Silver Lining
26. Time Travel
27. Team Up
28. Back to the Past
29. The Time Heist
30. The Battle of New York
31. Frigga's Last Day
32. Already Gone
34. Avengers Assemble
35. Together
36. One Last Fight
37. Goodbye
38. End of the Journey
Epilogue
Acknowledgments & Trivia
AU: A soul for a soul

33. Under Attack

4.5K 293 145
By getbuckyplums

2 0 2 3

Bruce, Tony, Rocket and Aurora have been working on the Infinity Stones for a few hours now, building something that can withstand the power of all Stones combined. The solution is simpler than the four thought: Nanotech. They adjust themselves to the powerful Stones and in this way, it's possible for Tony to put them all together.

"Tony, Bruce... I'm sorry for your loss. We will always honor her sacrifice." Aurora expresses her condolences, aware how hard Natasha's death hit them. The two nod, sending sad and silent smiles before returning to the Stones. They have to make it work.

The six Infinity Stones are placed carefully into the gauntlet and they all wait out the converting with racing hearts in silence. The glove could explode any minute, the whole procedure could fail and Natasha's sacrifice only increases the burden.

"Boom!" Rocket suddenly exclaims and Tony and Bruce are startled, their hearts dropping to their toes. As Aurora is not frightened, already used to his pranks, Tony turns to him and it looks like he wants to kill the raccoon.

"Okay, you can punch Rocket later, now let's just try to undo everything." Aurora stops them and tilts her head. "Let's move the glove to the common room. Everyone's waiting."

Rocket chuckles in amusement while Tony just grunts unpleasantly, yet agreeing to the plan. He and Bruce then take the mighty weapon and transport it as Rocket and Aurora watch out that everything's alright. They have fought so hard to retrieve all Stones, nothing could go wrong. The whole team looks up when they enter the room and Aurora notices Nebula's absence.

"Where's Nebula??" She questions Rhodey and he shrugs.

"Said she wanted to fix her hand that got burnt on Morag."

Eve steps forward, this time wearing her usual Voltricity combat suit, and her voice is extremely anxious. "So, it worked?"

"Yes." Aurora nods confirming and the black-haired soldier releases a relieved sigh. In the meantime, Rocket and Tony lie down the gauntlet on the table, everyone surrounding them.

"Alright, the glove's ready. Question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Rocket asks with a serious voice, they are all aware how powerful the Infinity Stones are and that the gauntlet can kill its user.

"I'll do it." Thor volunteers without hesitation, walking steadily towards the glove. "It's okay."

Tony, Eve, Scott and Steve immediately stop him from getting any closer to the Infinity gauntlet, the latter speaking up firmly. "Thor, just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that one yet."

"I'm sorry. What, were you just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" Thor asks provokingly with impatience and Scott pipes up.

"We should at least discuss it."

"Look, us sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty, it's not that it's... " He claims and tries to push Tony away when the brunet gets in his way, but his voice is breaking. "Stop it! Just let me– just let me do it. Just let me do something good, something great."

"Look, it's not just the fact that the glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent, I'm telling you you're in no condition." Tony reminds him gently, his eyes locked with Thor's as he recognizes the pain Thor is going through.

"You want to do something good?" Eve is standing next to Thor, her hand placed on his arm and her gaze is firm. "Stay alive, and let someone else do this. You've been through a lot, Thor."

Thor is trembling, blinking his tears away and Aurora glances at him, pulling him gently to the side. "It was very brave that you volunteered, Thor. But I think this task isn't destined for you. Come."

The blond god leans onto Aurora's small head and she strokes his back in a comforting way. Bruce sighs as he has been staring at the gauntlet the whole time, its radiation feeling way too familiar. "It's gotta be me. You saw what those Stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."

"How do we know you will?" Steve asks in worry while Bruce walks towards the glove.

"We don't. But the radiation's mostly gamma. It's like... I was made for this."

Everyone stays silent, knowing someone has to do it and that Bruce has the highest chance of surviving this. With a wordless agreement, they move on and Tony helps Bruce to take the gauntlet, glancing concerned at one of his closest friends. "Good to go, yeah?"

"Let's do it." He looks at the glove in his hands, the glove that can change everything now.

"Okay, you remember everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago? You're just bringing them back to now, today. Don't change anything from the last five years." Tony emphasizes heavily, his highest priority being Morgan and Pepper.

"And you immediately stop when it's getting too much." Eve reminds him sharply, her green eyes staring right into his. "You won't hold it back, got it?"

"Got it." He nods at both of them and they all stand surround him, suiting up. Eve stands behind Steve's shield, activating the nanotech on her gauntlets for extra protection, while Aurora turns on her space helmet and is next to Thor and Rocket.

"FRIDAY, do me a favor and activate Barn Door Protocol Eight." Tony requests and his A.I. obliges.

"Yes, boss." In the next second, heavy metal walls shut the entire compound, not a single sight of the outside world is any longer available for them. In this way, the mess that follows will not leave this compound.

"Everybody comes home." Bruce mumbles and the glove adjusts itself to his hand when he's putting it on. The colorful light of the Infinity Stones shines brightly and Bruce screams at the sudden pang, dropping on his knees. The lightning spreads from his hand up to his shoulder, right through his veins and he keeps groaning in pain.

"Bruce!" Eve's eyes widen and she is about to run to him, but Steve holds her back.

"Take it off!" Thor immediately commands in concern about his dearest friend. "Take it off!!!"

"No, wait!" Steve yells, glancing back at Bruce. "Bruce, are you okay?!"

A yelp escapes Bruce's lips, not able to answer and Tony grits his teeth beneath the Iron Man mask. "Dammit, talk to me, Bruce."

"I'm okay. I'm okay." Finally, he can answer and nods, even though his eyes are squinted and he can barely listen to his surrounding anymore. Thor lifts his thumb nervously and Aurora gets anxious with each second, hoping to not witness another death.

Panting, Bruce manages to lift his hand and snaps with a scream in agony. A blinding light floods into the room and they all look momentarily away until it ceases. With his eyes rolling to the back of his skull, Bruce passes out and drops to the ground, the smoking Infinity gauntlet slipping from his hand.

"Bruce!" Now Eve can finally run to him and takes his hand, his face covered in sweat and his right arm entirely burned. "I told you to stop, goddammit."

Meanwhile Aurora deactivates her space helmet and stares at the gauntlet which Clint kicks away, the stench of burnt things lingering in the air. Tony heals Bruce's injuries with the help of his suit as Bruce himself holds onto Eve's hand, still panting tiredly. "Did it work?"

"It was worth a shot, it's over. It's okay." Thor assures him with a comforting smile as he strokes Bruce's forehead, just feeling an incredible relief that his best friend has survived. "It's okay, sshh. You were great."

While Tony, Eve, Thor, Steve, Rhodey and Rocket are occupied with Bruce, the rest of the team notice the change of the compound as the walls are removed and sunlight shines into the building. Scott watches in awe how birds are flying around outside, peace settling in, and Clint hears his phone vibrating on the table. His eyes widen when he reads Anya's name on the touch screen and his whole body is shaking, his eyes are teary. He has to raise her without Nat now.

Swallowing, Clint picks up. "Hi."

"Clint??" Anya asks anxiously. "Where are you?? I'm alone at home right now and I feel like I passed out but when I woke up, you weren't here anymore."

"Hey, hi, Anya." His voice is still trembling in pain and happiness. She doesn't know it yet. "Listen, you stay there, okay? I'll come and get you, I promise."

"Guys..." A big smile grows on Scott's face as it lightens up. "I think it worked."

Aurora smiles brightly at his confirmation and is glad to listen how Clint has got back the little girl that he sees as his own daughter. With shaking hands, she presses on the button of her device around her wrist to contact her brother. Aurora has never deleted his contact.

"Peter– "

In the next second, missiles rain down on the compound and deafening explosions go off, taking the home of the Avengers apart. The ground beneath Aurora's feet slips away and she's thrown off, losing her orientation in the chaos and destruction. Dropping like a stone into the endless hole, she doesn't know anymore where's up and down, hitting her head a few times against fragments. She can barely focus anymore, panic invading her chest until she eventually hits the ground with a loud, pained scream.

Aurora doesn't know how much time has passed, she hasn't even realized that she actually passed out until someone shakes her carefully awake and calls her name. A groan slips through her lips and she has to blink off the dust in her eyes when she opens them, coughing like hell.

"Hey. Hey, Aurora. You okay?" Clint checks on her with worries, covered in dust and dirt himself. He helps her to sit up, a flashlight is attached to his wrist.

"What– What happened??" Aurora is still a bit disorientated, her head aching like hell and she feels how blood runs down from her temple.

"We dropped like stones." He almost scoffs and looks around. They're stuck in the dark sewer of the compound, several feet under the ground and the fragments above them have buried them in here.

"Shit, my device is screwed." Aurora can't contact the others anymore and the ear comms have no reception. She gets carefully up, her side aching and she groans. "We have to get out of here. This attack– I recognize these missiles everywhere, they're Thanos'."

"But he's dead?" Clint frowns and Aurora stumbles upon the Infinity gauntlet, picking it up and handing it to Clint. He places it in his quiver.

"Time travel, maybe." She guesses with a tired sigh, her body is in pain. "Come on– "

Suddenly, an animalistic snarl echoes through the sewer and Clint and Aurora pause, sharing a knowing glance. They're not alone. The archer takes out an arrow and he shoots it into the direction of the growling. Although the light just lasts for a second, it yet reveals the dozen Outriders hiding in the darkness to attack them and retrieve the gauntlet.

"Shit!" Aurora's eyes widen and she activates her jet boots, placing her arms around Clint's waist to escape. The position is more than uncomfortable, but it's their only chance to survive and they fly as fast as possible out of the sewer.

The Outriders chase them dangerously quick and Aurora has to try her best to keep Clint and not drop him on their way out. As they reach the end of the tunnel and go up to leave, the position changes and Aurora is carrying him through his jacket now. That's how Clint can take out an explosive arrow and aim it at the monsters, the blow and fire killing them immediately. Though, the pressure also throws the two off and they land with a loud thud on the upper floor, being out of breath.

"Not... Bad..." Aurora is panting, lying in exhaustion on the ground next to Clint who nods, still regulating his breath. Nebula finds them and Aurora sighs in relief. "Hey, Nebula... you okay?"

"Oh, hey... I know you." He hands her the gauntlet while they still catch their breath and Nebula glances with satisfaction at the Infinity Stones.

"Father, I have the Stones." She informs Thanos through the comm and both, Clint and Aurora look up in shock. This is not their Nebula.

"What?" Clint exclaims but Thanos' daughter immediately steps onto him, aiming her gun at him. From the corner of the eye, she notices how Aurora pulls out her quad blaster and her finger around the trigger tightens.

"He'll be dead before you can even hold your weapon." She threatens Aurora and the auburn-haired clenches her teeth.

"Stop." A way too familiar voice appears and Aurora's eyes widen. She sees how Gamora walks into the situation with a gun aimed at her sister and Aurora holds her breath, staring in disbelief at the green woman.

"Gamora...?" Tears gather in her eyes and Gamora glances at her for a mere second in confusion, wondering who that stranger might be and why she's crying.

"You're betraying us?" Nebula steps away from Clint, hatred lingering in her eyes. In the next moment, the present Nebula appears with her hands raised in surrender. Aurora exhales in relief, glad that their Nebula is still alive and alright. As soon as the weapon is targeted at the other Nebula, Clint and Aurora move quickly aside.

"You don't have to do this." Nebula tries to stop her past self.

"I am... this." She insists, vulnerability lacing her voice and Gamora shakes her head.

"No, you're not."

The present Nebula adds, "You've seen what we become."

"Nebula, listen to her." Gamora begs, only wishing for peace and a sister as she sees how her own sister from her time seems to break.

"You can change." The present Nebula proceeds to convince her, taking her silence as a good sign.

"He won't let me." A sad smile graces Nebula's lips, tears evident in her eyes. She shifts her weapon to Gamora and intends to kill the traitor in their toxic family.

"No!" Gamora yells, but before she can pull the trigger, the present Nebula shoots her first, therefore killing the old part of her that was loyal to the Mad Titan. A heavy silence arises between them and Nebula gazes at her dead past self, finding closure with her abusive past.

"Gamora!" Aurora runs to her and pulls her into a tight hug, tears streaming down her face. Gamora is visibly puzzled by that, but she doesn't shake the auburn-haired off, remaining in the embrace. In the meantime, Clint picks up the gauntlet.

The fight is not over yet.

A/N– To be honest, I can't believe that the real Gamora is actually dead :(
I know that past Gamora is probably alive somewhere, but still, our Gamora is gone

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 3K 47
After a while of running, I found the glass cell that held Loki. "I thought you had abandoned me" He said jokingly. "When have I ever abandoned you...
101K 2.3K 36
"This plan is crazy." "It could be worse." "It's based on a movie!" "It could also be a plan that...
136K 5.2K 36
❝ I'd go through it all again if it meant I got to spend more time with you. ❞ After years of absence, the Harpy is finally back on Earth... only to...
65.3K 2.6K 98
Your mischievous older brother Loki is causing trouble on earth, your original home planet, its up to you and your other brother Thor to stop him. Ar...