0. Help in Norway

N O R W A Y

Four Days Earlier

Two years. Two years had passed since the Sokovia Accords. Two years had passed since the Avengers were separated. And for two years, everyone who hadn't signed became a fugitive. This just made Eve happier that she hadn't left her name on the contract because it proved how ridiculously wrong these accords were, how they forced you to give up your freedom for their security. What didn't make her happy though was her separation from the others.

Clint, Wanda, Sam, Steve and Bucky didn't sign. They all were wanted by the government and were seen as criminals now, which is why Steve had suggested to split up, so they wouldn't be found easily. And since Eve and Bucky were married, it was expected that they would stay together, so they had to do the exact opposite.

Eve hadn't seen Bucky for a half year now and she dearly missed her husband, it broke her heart. It's like the universe didn't want them to be together. Ever since they got separated, she didn't feel safe or sane anymore, only lonely and incomplete. She needed him as he needed her. The last time she had seen Bucky was in Romania with Steve before the CIA tried to hunt them down again. They had told her they would ask T'Challa for help but she had no idea if that had worked, Eve had to wait for a sign.

To her knowledge, Clint and Wanda planned to get help from Scott but since he had a child, she didn't think it would be smart to expect aid from him, he had a lot to risk. Meanwhile Sam and Eve had stayed together until she sent him to Wakanda to find Bucky and Steve, it was about time that they all reunite again. But before they do so, she had to do something. Something important in Norway.

The knee-deep snow was cold and bit its way through Eve's cheap and outworn boots, the cold stabbing her skin. A shiver ran down her spine, goosebumps coating her body. The coat didn't exactly keep her warm and the scarf wasn't useful either. Living as a fugitive was harder than expected. If she hadn't been trained as a soldier, she would have died from the cold already.

Please be there, please be there, Eve quietly prayed as she finally spotted the house on the snowy hill in the middle of nowhere after hours of walking through the snow storm. The house was dark, no shining lights to tell her someone would be home as her heart dropped to her toes in disappointment. Her cheeks were cold, the wind harshly lashed her face and she didn't feel the blood in her fingers anymore. Someone had to be home, otherwise this whole plan would be in vain.

"Please... be there..." She muttered, her voice shaking because of the cold and the dark-haired girl took the last steps to overcome the sea of snow and finally reached her aim. Knocking at the door, Eve waited for an answer, hope weighing deeply on her chest.

Silence. Just quietness apart from the snow storm. No. No, no, no. Open! Please, open! Shaking her head desperately, she knocked at the door again, this time harder. And again. And again. And–

"Jesus, I heard you!" Jane Foster opened the door energetically but the anger wrinkles on her face soon disappeared when she recognized her visitor, her mouth dropping open. "Eve?!"

"Hi, Jane." The woman mumbled and was relieved when the warmth of Jane's home faced her. Although these two had just met briefly once a few years ago, they actually had gotten along with each other and Eve hoped that the physician would be willing to help her.

"But- what- you– " Thor's ex stuttered in astonishment, her brown eyes still widened at the sudden appearance of the former Avenger and now fugitive. She had gone into hiding for over a year already, nobody had seen her ever since and now she was standing right in front of Jane's door. It was surreal, almost a miracle.