Flashpoint (Season 3)

By Angela_Tillson

(Book 3) Alex isn't the baby anymore. But with the team constantly watching her every move and making sure sh... More

Chapter 1: Unconditional Love
Chapter 2: Follow The Leader
Chapter 4 - Acceptable Risk
Chapter 5 - Collateral Damage
Chapter 6: Thicker Than Blood
Chapter 7 - Terror
Chapter 8: I'd Do Anything
Chapter 9: Fault Lines

Chapter 3: Jumping At Shadows

670 13 17
By Angela_Tillson

Alex sits on the bench in front of her locker and opens the little white box she grabbed off the top shelf. She then smiles as she lifts the gold necklace with the letter "A" on it. She gently rubs her finger over the three diamonds inside the letter and feels tears about to escape. "The three diamonds represent me, you, and Spike. A rose between two thorns" Lou's voice says in her head as she remembers the voicemail that is still on her phone. Alex then stands up placing the white box back on the top shelf and slowly wraps the necklace around her neck doing it up in the back and letting it fall. "You ok?" Jules voice asks as she begins to walk by Alex. Alex closes her locker with a smile on her face and turns around.

"Yeah, I'm okay" Alex says as she follows Jules out of the locker room. When they open the door and walk out they notice Spike and Wordy walking towards them.

"Hey" Alex smiles as Spike looks towards her with a smirk.

"Hey, Beautiful" Spike says.

"Hey!" Jules jokes as she wraps her arm around Spikes shoulder causing everyone to laugh.

"Funny" Alex states as she looks over at Jules as she takes her arm off Spikes shoulder.

As they all walk out into the main hall they hear Winnie ending a phone call and Alex begins to walk backwards towards her desk still wanting to listen to Jules as she talks. Suddenly Alex bumps into a hard surface and quickly turns around to see what it was. Her stomach then drops and her eyes go wide as she notices the familiar face looking back at her. "Alex" he says shocked as Spike, Jules, and Wordy walk up behind her.

"Dean" Alex whispers as Winnie walks towards them and notices Dean standing there.

"Hi, can I help you?" Winnie asks and Dean looks back and forth between Winnie and Alex and then back at Winnie and smiles.

"I'm here to see Greg Parker" Dean admits.

"Sure. Can I tell him who it is?" Winnie asks and Dean looks back at Alex.

"Yeah, Dean Parker" he says and small gasps could he heard as Alex looks to the floor feeling the anger and frustration creep up inside her.

"I got this Winnie" Alex states bluntly.

"Copy that, Sarge" Winnie says as she takes the folder she was carrying and continues to walk down the hall.

"Sargent, huh? Congrats" Dean says with a small smile as Alex looks back up at him.

"What are you doing here Dean?" Alex questions annoyed.

"I'm here to see dad, Alex" Dean admits as he crosses his arms over his chest.

"Oh, really. Ten years later? It took you long enough" Alex snaps and she immediately feels Spike's hand on her back.

"Alex, I was only five when mom decided to leave. I had no choice" Dean argues back.

"Yeah, I know. You were always a mommy's boy" Alex says furiously and suddenly he takes a step towards her causing Wordy to run around and hold him back as Spike holds Alex back.

"What about you Alex! Mom never really meant anything to you, did she?" Dean yells and Alex snickers.

"Unlike you Dean. I believed dad could change and I wasn't gonna just leave him! I was eight years old and yet I still made the right choice!" Alex screams.

"Oh, come on, Alex! You-" Dean begins but a voice cuts him off.

"Hey!" Eddie screams as him and Greg walk out of the briefing room and towards them.

"What the hell is going on out here!" Eddie questions, standing between Alex and Dean with his hands up towards them.

Greg then walks towards him shocked as he notices who it is. "Dean?" he whispers.

"Hey" Dean whispers with a smile as Wordy lets go of him.

"What are you doing here? I mean, it's good to...I just didn't know you were coming. I, um...It's good to...it's good to see you" Greg stutters as he slowly walks towards towards Dean and then Greg wraps his arms around him and pulls him in close to him. Alex goes to take a step but feels Spike pull her back towards him.

"Alex" he warns in a whisper and Alex shakes her head annoyed as Greg lets go of Dean and looks down at him.

"We're just up visiting Shelby...Uh, my aunt" Dean explains.

"yeah, no, I know who Shelby is. Why didn't you tell me?" Greg asks curiously.

"I-I didn't want to call first. I I thought I might back out" Dean admits and Greg nods his head.

"I wish you did" Alex whispers loud enough for Spike to hear and she rolls her eyes.

"Does your mom know you're here?" Greg questions.

"No. She, she thinks I'm at a movie" Dean says as he shakes his head.

"She doesn't know you're here?" Greg then says as he looks to the ground slowly.

"Do you think there's someplace we can go and talk?" Dean asks as he looks around at the team surrounding them.

"Yeah" Greg then quickly answers looking back up at Dean.

"Come on" he then says as they both walk towards the briefing room.

Once they disappear into the room. Alex pushes Spikes hands off of her furiously as she walks away from the team quickly. "Alex" Eddie warns loudly but she ignores him as she stops in front of the briefing room to see Greg with an upset and shocked look on his face as Dean sits next to him with his arms crossed on the table.

"I thought I should tell you in person. You know, it'd be the right thing to do" Alex hears Dean say and Greg slowly nods his head as he turns and notices Alex standing outside the room with her arms crossed over her chest.

"SRU?" Winnie says as she picks up the phone causing Alex to turn and look at her, ready for the distraction. Alex then nods her head as she walks towards Winnie holding out her hand. Winnie then hands Alex a headset to listen in on the conversation.

"Shooting in progress, 235 Creekside" the woman on the phone says.

"Copy that" Winnie replies and looks up at Alex.

"Call it" Alex then states quickly.

"Stay on the line" Winnie says as she watches Alex place the headset on her desk.

"Team One, hot call! Gear up" Winnie announces over the headset as she sounds the alarm. Alex passes by the Briefing room to see Greg place a hand on Dean's arm.

"Just hold on" Greg whispers as he then walks quickly towards the entrance of the briefing room.

"Alex?" he questions.

"Shots fired, in progress" she says watching the team head towards the garage.

"Look, I'm sorry. I gotta do this" Greg sighs as he turns back around to face Dean as he stands from his chair.

"Yeah, right. Of course you do" Dean says frustrated as he walks towards the entrance.

"No, no. Just wait here for me" Greg begs as he follows behind Dean who was walking quickly towards the front doors.

"I-I, I should really go" Dean stutters.

"No, no, please...please?" Greg says as Dean stops and turns around. Dean looks back at Alex to see her standing there waiting with her arms crossed as she looks at Dean with anger in her eyes.

"Alright. Movie's over in an hour" Dean answers and Greg nods with a smile on his face.

"Alright, thanks. Winnie?" Greg says turning around to look at Winnie as Spike walks up behind Alex.

"Yeah, I'll watch him" Winnie says and Dean watches Alex smile up at Spike as he leans down and kisses her and then Greg walks towards them.

"Feed us on the fly!" Alex shouted excitedly as her and Spike follow Greg towards the garage.

"Copy that" Winnie yells.

"Pull up a bench, hang with me" Winnie then says looking at Dean.

"SRU on route. What do we know?" Winnie asks through the headset.

"It's a possible domestic. Um, I heard the shot. There's a child involved! Oh, my Oh...my God!" the 9-1-1 operator cries into the phone.

"Say again?" Winnie questions confused.

"I hung up on her! And she called me! I hung up on her! Oh, my God!" the woman panics and then hangs up the phone.

***

Alex leads the three SUV's down the busy street quickly with the lights flashing and the sirens blaring. She watches as everyone in front of her pulls over onto the side of the road and lets her pass. "Winnie, what do you got for us?" Alex asks curiously through the headset.

"Home phone is registered to a Heather Sobol, caller's presumed her daughter, Alexis" Winnie answers.

"What else?" Alex questions.

"That's it. Something's going down at 9-1-1. The operator became emotional, and I can't get her online" Winnie replies quickly.

"Winnie, just get us some background!" Greg snaps causing Eddie to look over at him in the driver's seat.

"I'm downloading the call" Winnie says slowly into the headset.

"You alright?" Eddie questions and Greg shakes his head looking in front of him pressing down on the gas pedal.

"Not now, Eddie" Greg says quietly.

"Greg" Eddie warns and Greg looks over at him and sighs.

"Dean wants me to drop the lawsuit" Greg begins to say and Eddie looks down.

"He says he's sixteen, he doesn't want to be forced to see me. He's already got a stepdad that he loves back home, he's already got a family. He's planning on taking his step dad's name" Greg admits as Alex wipes a tear from her cheek.

"I told you, nothing ever changes" Alex says through the headset and Greg closes his eyes for two seconds and then opens them looking back at the road.

"Alex" he whispers as he realizes the headsets are still on.

"It's fine!" she then snaps but before Greg could say anything else Winnie's voice comes through the headset.

"Boss, I got the 911 call" she says before playing the recording.

"He's in the house! He came back!" a little girl's voice cires.

"Run, Alexis!" the 9-1-1 operator says with panic in her voice right before the gunshot was heard.

"He shot her!" the little girl gasps as Team one arrives at the house and runs up to the door holding up their guns.

"Find somewhere to hide, Alexis!" the woman yells through the headset as Eddie kicks open the door and the team enters quickly.

"He's coming!...Daddy!" the little girl screams as Alex focuses on her surroundings as she walks into the dining room and notices a blond haired woman laying on the floor with a gunshot wound to the chest. She runs towards her lowering her gun and checking for a puls.

"Alexis!" the woman yells and Alex closes her eyes as she feels the pauls under her fingers.

Greg heads upstairs followed by Eddie and walks into the little girl's room to see a small stuffed monkey on the floor. Once he knew the room was clear he lowers his gun, leaning down and picking up the monkey. "She's gone" Greg then states through the headset.

***

Medics and Police officers arrive on scene as Team one huddles around the woman in the dining room. "How's she doing?" Alex asks curiously watching the paramedic.

"The bullet grazed her skull" the medic replies.

"We need to talk to her as soon as we can. Find out what happened here" Eddie states calmly and the medic looks up at him confused.

"She's unconscious, and we're stabilizing her" he states and Eddie sighs.

"Let's get a read on the house" Greg says quickly changing the subject.

"I'll get started" Spike says as he turns around and heads upstairs.

"That back gate was forced from the outside" Wordy says walking towards Alex and Greg and pointing out the window.

"Before the second shot was fired, Alexis called Daddy" Greg advises.

"Sounds like an estranged father abducting his kid" Sam states and Alex shakes her head.

"Yeah, but she didn't say her dad was breaking in on the 911 call" Alex advises quickly.

"Could be displacement. She wants to keep her mom safe at the same time as not incriminating her own father" Jules explains.

"Let's put out an Amber Alert" Greg says.

"I'm gonna go find a photo" Jules quickly says as she turns and walks into a different room.

"Sam, Wordy, let's talk to the neighbors" Eddie says and three of them head towards the front door.

"We have CCTV. There are cameras outside, too. And we got motion detectors. Mrs.Sobol was worried about unwanted company" Spike states through the headset as Jules look around the small office space confused.

"I'm not seeing any photos of Alexis. Actually, I'm not seeing any photos of anything" Jules states.

"No photos here, either. No school calendar, no family pictures" Alex says as she looks around the kitchen.

"Hey, Spike, I think I know where those cameras fed to" Jules voice then says.

***

"You heard two gunshots?" Sam asks a woman in front of him curiously as a group of neighbours gather around them.

"That's right" she says with a small nod.

"Did you see anyone come out the front?" Sam questions and the woman shakes her head.

"No" she answers.

"What do you know about the Sobols?" Wordy asks.

"Uh, they mostly kept to themselves. I only talked to the man once. Philip. He was kind of rude. Never looks you in the eye" the woman explains as everyone around her nodded their heads in agreement.

"So, Philip was living with his wife and daughter?" Eddie asks confused.

"Yeah" the woman says and then looks up quickly and confused.

"They had a kid? I never saw her" she then admits.

"Did you ever see them argue?" Sam asks.

"No, I hardly saw them at all" the woman answers.

"Anyone hurt?" a man behind the woman asks and Wordy smiles and nods.

"Everyone's gonna be fine" Wordy says.

"We heard the gunshots and thought-" the man began to say but Eddie cuts him off.

"She was very lucky...Okay, folks, thanks" Eddie then says and him, Sam, and Wordy turn around and walk back towards the house.

"Philip and Heather Sobol weren't estranged" Wordy states.

"Maybe the intruder's someone else" Sam say

***

"All those closed-circuit cameras fed into one computer" Jules voice says through the headset as Greg and Alex watch the Paramedics get Mrs.Sobel on the gurney.

"Can we play 'em back?" Alex asks curiously.

"No, someone ripped out the hard drive" Spike answers.

"But we found a safe" Jules states.

"And it's a Group Two Combo. Easy-peasy" Spike admits and Alex shakes her head slowly as she hears his voice through the headset.

"That's an advanced technical term. It means they didn't change the try-out combination" he then says as a quiet beeping noise is heard.

"We're in" Spike says loudly.

"Boss, I checked into the Sobol family" Winnie's voice then interrupts over the headset.
"What do you got?" Greg quickly asks.

"Nothing" Winnie states and Alex looks up at Greg confused as the Paramedics begin to push the gurney out the front door.

"Nothing?" he questions confused.

"On paper, this family does not exist. No bank accounts. No government records. Their house is a rental" Winnie explains.

"How long have they been living here?" Alex asks curiously.

"Three months. They paid in cash" Winnie answers as the phone begins to ring in the background.

"Speaking of cash-- there's like 40 or 50,000 here" Jules admits as she pulls cash from the safe.

"We got fake I.D.'s. Same faces and different names. Maureen, Andrew and Sasha Lowell from Ontario the Keeflers from Manitoba, and the Feldmans from B.C." Spike says and Greg looks towards Alex.

"What's going on here, guys?" he then asks slowly.

"Identity theft?" Spike asks.

"Maybe they're on the run" Alex states as she looks towards Greg with wide eyes.

"She cried "Daddy" because she wanted him to protect her" she continues.

"Check you PDA's" Spike says as Alex and Greg's phone go off in unison.

"Winnie, I'm forwarding you photos of the father and the daughter" Greg states.

"Alert all officers within a 20-block radius we're looking for an armed pursuer. Who, hopefully, hasn't already caught up with them" Alex demands camly as Eddie, Sam, and Wordy all walk into the house and close the front door.

"Boss, I've got 911 on the line. They say Alexis Sobol just called in" Winnie quickly says.

"That's great. Put her through to me" Greg demands.

"I can't. They lost her. But the supervisor wants to talk to you" Winnie then explains.

"Sergeant Parker, Sergeant Morello" A woman's voice says over the headset.

"Hey, Sergeant, you had Alexis Sobol on the line?" Greg asks curiously.

"We did" the woman admits.

"And what happened?" Greg questions as him and Eddie walks into the kitchen.

"She hung up" Sargeant Morello states.

"You get a GPS on her position?" Greg asks as he open the curtain of the back door and looks outside to see five small stuffed animals lined on the top of the fence.

"No, her phone's no equipped, and we couldn't triangulate in time" Morello advises.

"What did she say?"

"Nothing. She wouldn't talk to anyone except Kate" she explains.

"Kate?" Greg questions.

"Kate Shapland-- she's one of our operators" Morello says calmly.

"She the operator that took the original 911?" Greg questions as Eddie holds up a folded piece of paper grabbing his attention.

"Yes. They have a history. The child's a flagged caller" Morello explains causing Greg to look confused.

"Flagged...What does that mean?" he asks curiously.

"Alexis is the little girl who cried wolf" she states with a sigh.

"So why does she only talk to Kate?" Greg questions looking through the stack of papers with Eddie.

"You'll have to ask Kate."

"Okay, put her on" Greg says.

"I can't. She's in bad shape. She turned Alexis away twice before she heard the gunshots" Morello explains slowly.

"You're saying the two of them have a history?" Greg then asks curiously.

"Yeah, they got a kind of bond" Morello admits.

"Okay, I'm coming down. You keep her there. I'm gonna want to talk to her, all right? Thanks for calling" Greg says.

"Okay, you got it" Morello says before hanging up.

"We need more information on this family. I mean, maybe we can get something from this Kate" Greg explains as he looks up at Eddie.

"I mean, let me ask you this-- why would a little girl bond with a 911 operator?" Eddie questions seriously.

"I don't know. That's what I want to find out" Greg says quietly as he picks up one of the drawing off the counter.

"Look at the eyes" Greg then states

"Cubes...She feels trapped" Eddie sighs.

"Get Kate back on the line, in case she calls back" Greg advises as loud shots could be heard out the front door, causing Eddie and Greg to grab their guns and run into the other room with the rest of the team.

"Those were gunshots" Dean admits as he stands up from his chair and looks towards Winnie with worried eyes.

"Everybody down!" Greg's voice yells through the headset.

"Shots fired. 3:12 p.m" Winnie says calmly.

Alex follows behind her dad and Eddie and followed by the rest of the team as they all hold their guns up and quickly walk out the front door to the streets full of scared people and worried police officers. "Where is he?" Eddie questions concerned as they all look in different directions. They all then run towards the police cars and SUVs and use then as cover.

"I don't see him" Eddie admits. Alex looks down the street with her gun held up in front of her as she notices something move behind a silver car not far from where she was standing.

"There he is! Hey! Police! Right there, drop it! Drop your weapon!" she yells as the now panicked male stands straight up.

"Drop your weapon now!" Eddie yells and the male begins to run down an alley between the houses.

"Guys, let's hit the alley. Let's split up, let's get the alleys. Let's go, let's go, let's go" Eddie screams and Jules quickly follows Alex as they run down the street where the male was last seen.

Back at the station Winnie looks up to see Dean's face looking slightly pale and his eyes wide as he listens to the conversation from the headsets of the team. "Listen, I'm going to take this offline" Winnie admits.

"No, please" Dean quickly says looking her right in the eyes.

"I'm sorry" Winnie sighs as she goes to reach for the button.

"He's my father..." Dean quickly states and Winnie looks up towards him.

"And...She's my sister" he then whispers.

***

"Jules, go back. Make sure everyone is okay. Make sure Mrs.Sobol and the Paramedics are safe" Alex whispers as she looks back at Jules.

"Alex I'm not leaving you here without backup -" Jules argues.

"Jules! Go make sure everyone is okay! I will be fine!" Alex demands quickly cutting her off.

"Yes, Sarge" Jules sighs defeated as she slowly begins to back away from Alex.

As Jules make it back to the Paramedics she notices Spike looking towards her confused. "Where is she?" Spike asks as he looks around.

"You know how she is Spike. She is the boss" Jules says annoyed as she walks past him and towards the gurney.

"Not on my watch" Spike sighs as he grabs his gun and runs towards the alleyway.

"Single shooter?" Jules asks looking towards the Paramedic.

"He was the only one I saw. He must have been waiting. As soon as he saw her come out, he raised his gun. So we pulled her to cover" the Paramedic explains.

"Where is she?" a weak sounding voice interrupts them and Jules looks back towards Mrs.Sobol who eyes were now open.

"Mrs.Sobol, relax" Jules says as Mrs.Sobol reaches for her oxygen mask and pulls it off.

"Where is she?" she asks again.

"Deep breaths. It's going to be okay" Jules admits as she reaches up placing the mask back over Mrs.Sobol's face.

"Where is Alexis?" She then asks, this time more panicked and with tears beginning to form in her eyes.

***

Alex continues to run, watching the gunman in front of her jump over a small gate blocking her path. She follows behind him and quickly jumps the gate as well. "Wordy, go less lethal" she hears Greg's voice say through the headset.

"Copy" Wordy says.

"Eddie, I'm going to switch up, too" Greg advises camly as Dean looks down towards Winnie confused.

"Boss, too dangerous" Eddie states.

"What are they doing?" Dean asks curiously.

"Trying not to shoot the subject" Winnie answers also confused.

"We need him alive" Greg's voice says.

"We can't risk it" Eddie states.

"We hit him from both sides" Greg advises.

"Sam, more lethal if he crosses the line" Eddie then demands.

"Copy that" Sam says.

"Anyone seen Alex?" Spikes voice then asks through the headset and the team stops.

"I thought she was with Jules!" Eddie snaps.

"She told her to head back. She wasn't taking no for an answer" Spike admits.

"Dammit!" Greg whispers.

"Where is she?" Dean asks confused and Winnie looks up towards him with a small smile.

"Alex, tends to take things into her own hands. She likes to do things her own way too. But don't worry, things usually work out better then planned" Winnie explains.

"Come on Alex!" Eddie shouts, beginning to get annoyed. Suddenly loud shots are heard causing the team to quickly run out of their alleyways and see Alex holding the guy on the ground with his face squished against the cement. She looks up at the team as they all lower their guns and she shows a small smile.

"What took you guys so long?" she questions as she tries to catch her breath.

"Funny" Eddie says sarcastically as he helps her up and Sam and wordy grab the guy off the ground harshly.

Winnie looks up at Dean and smiles. "Everyone's okay" she says and he begins to looks more relaxed.

***

"Alex, how many times do we have to have this conversation with you?" Greg asks camly.
"What did I do wrong? I caught him!" Alex argues.

"You caught him, yes. But he had a fully loaded weapon Alex!" Eddie snaps.

"I caught him!" she repeats annoyed.

"That's not the point! You could have been shot!" Eddie shouts and then everything goes quiet as Alex looks around at the rest of the team who was now looking towards them. Alex then looks towards the ground and sighs.

"I didn't. I am perfectly okay" she begins as she looks back up towards Greg and Eddie standing in front of her.

"Sometimes you guys just need to trust me. I know what I'm doing" Alex explains slowly and Eddie uncrosses his arms.

"We know that" Greg whispers. Alex then begins to walks away, but Eddie grabs her arm gently causing her to look back towards him.

"Good Job, Kiddo" Eddie says and then shows a small smile.

Back at the Ambulance Jules looks down at the panicked woman on the gurney. "Mrs. Sobol? Okay, slow down. Slow down....Please, please Look at me. Heather? Look at me" Jules says slowly as Mrs.Sobol looks up towards her with tears on her cheeks.

"Why was why was that man trying to shoot you? Why are they after your family?" Jules questions and Mrs.Sobol begins to gasp for air.

"I'm sorry, but we've got to get going" the Paramedic states.

"Her family is at risk. We need to know" Jules then says looking up at him.

"And we've got to get her to a hospital" the Paramedic demands.

"I'm coming with you, then. Let's go" Jules says quickly as she jumps in the back of the Ambulance.

***

"Why were you trying to shoot Heather Sobol?" Wordy asks as him and Sam kneel the man on the ground.

"Firing in front of cops like that-- you're either stupid or you've got a death wish" Sam snaps as the man stares straight ahead with a stern look on his face.

"He's not talking" Wordy sighs as him and Sam lift him back up to his feet and slam him on the garage door behind them.

"Maybe there's someone out there who scares him more than we do" Alex smirks as she slowly walks towards him looking him in the eyes and the man smirks watching her.

"Alex" Spike whispers.

"Where's Alexis?" Alex whispers as she moves her face closer towards his.

"You won't find her" the man states quietly.

"Oh, no?" Alex questions playfully with a small smile.

"Not before we do" the man admits and Alex backs up just a bit and her smile grows.

"We?" she questions.

"Jules, heads up. There's more than one shooter. I'm on my way to 911" Greg advises as Alex turns around and begins to walk away from the man."Copy that" Jules voice says through the headset. Alex then notices Spike looking towards her and she smiles.

"What was that?" he asks sarcastically as she walks closer towards him and places a hand on his chest.

"Don't worry Spike. No one will ever replace you" Alex snickers as she then walks past him ready to go with her dad.

"Glad to know!" Spike laughs as he turns around and follows behind her heading towards the command truck.

***

"Heather, who's attacking your family?" Jules questions as she sits next to the gerny on the bench in the back of the ambulance.

"Heather?" Jules asks again.

"There's three of them. It was Alexis they wanted, but now we've all seen their faces" Heather answers as she turns her head and looks towards Jules.

"Why are they after your daughter?" Jules asks curiously.

"She was at a sleepover at her best friend's-- Ellie Chambers. It was three years ago. And she said they heard the doorbell ring men talking to her friend's dad. There weren't supposed to be any witnesses. She thought she heard the men go. She was worried about her friend. She saw three men in police uniforms. A neighbor was leaving. She jumped in the car. She got lucky" Heather explains slowly.

"They put you in witness protection?" Jules questions.

"They relocated us until the men who did the shooting were caught. She was at risk and she was the only one who saw their faces" Heather says.

"Jules, this is the Daulton Chambers case" Spike says through the headset.

"Daulton Chambers He was a corporate accountant right?" Jules questions and Heather nods her head as more tears fall from her eyes.

"Corporate accountant who stumbled onto the wrong paper trail. He became the key witness in the Lefroy trial. That case-- it was huge. Lefroy got off, but Chambers was killed. That leaves Alexis as a big loose end" Spike explains as he types on the keyboard in the back of the command truck.

"Heather, how did Alexis cope with this?" Jules then asks curiously.

"She's terrified of police, of uniforms. We had to start all over. Forget friends, forget family. After two months, they tracked us down. They broke through the protection, and they came after Alexis. Philip says they bought off a cop. But my husband's paranoia paid off. We were prepared, and we got away" Heather admits.

"What if you got separated?" Jules questions.

"We meet one week later. The next town was Niagara Falls. New I.D's. Start all over again. We taught Lexie not to trust anyone. If the phone rings, you don't answer it. Only 911 for help. Cause they're civilians, and they'll send a real cop. You don't get to mess this up again. You don't get to do that" Heather explains as she begins to panic.

"Okay" Jules whispers as she nods her head.

***

"It's a high-stress job" Greg advises as him and Alex walk into the 911 emergency call centre.

"Yeah, a lot of people can't handle it. Kate's one of my best" Morello advises.

"Alexis called twice before the gunshots?" Greg questions curiously.

"This girl's been calling almost every day for the last month" Morello admits.

"And how do you deal with that?" Alex questions as she looks over her shoulder at all the workers taking phone calls.

"Well, if we've got time, we talk, try and reach out. Usually it's someone lonely. Try and find them other places to turn to" Morello states.

"And Kate?" Alex then asks.

"It went beyond that" she answers.

"What do you mean?" Greg asks confused.

"The girl needed someone to talk to. So did Kate. She lost her own daughter three years ago" Morello admits and Alex nods her head slowly.

"Okay, where is she?" Alex questions looking around.

"She's in the Quiet Room. I'll take you to her" Morello advises.

"Thanks" Greg smiles as him and Alex follow behind her.

Back at the command truck, Spike sits in front of the computer as the door opens and in walks Eddie. "Jules get descriptions?" he asks quickly as he closes the door and walks towards Spike.

"Yeah. We got two accomplices. These are guys from the Lefroy trial" Spike admits.

"That explains why he's not talking" Eddie sighs as Spike nods his head.

"Yeah, he's not the kind of boss you can afford to disappoint" Spike explains.

***

"Kate?" Alex asks quietly as her and Greg walk into a little office room and notice a woman with shoulder length brown hair looking out the window at all the workers rushing around and answering phones.

"You're not making me go back out there" Kate whispers.

"No one's going to make you do anything" Alex says and Kate looks towards the both of them with her arms crossed over her chest.

"What was I supposed to do?" she questions.

"You were doing your job" Greg states quietly.

"When she calls I send a car, and it's-it's a meter reader, it's the neighbor taking out the garbage. It's I don't know, somebody selling something door-to-door. How was I supposed to know? I didn't know" Kate says quickly as she holds her head in her hands panicking.

"No one's blaming you" Alex says as she takes a step closer towards the woman as she looks back up.

"I'm not getting anyone else killed" Kate whispers.

"You reached out to a girl who is lonely and who is scared. Now I think she's going to call again, and you need to be strong for her" Greg explains and Kate looks up at him shocked.

"But she's-" Kate begins to say and Alex places a hand on her shoulder shaking her head.

"No, No, she wasn't shot. We think she's still alive, but she's still out there. We need to find her, and we need your help" Alex says as Kate looks back towards the window scared.

"I can't go back out there" Kate states.

"Yes, you can, Kate" Alex smiles and Kate looks towards her with wide eyes, not knowing what to do.

***

"I got Alexis. She wants Kate" an operator says as she stands up from her desk. Morello quickly stands up and looks towards her.

"Keep her on that line" Morello says.

"Hang on, honey, she's coming" the operator says.

"All you gotta do is ask where she is and to hold tight till we can help her and her dad. You can do this. Just tell her that she can trust us" Alex explains as they all follow Morello out of the quiet room and towards the phone. Kate takes a deep breath and stares down at the phone.

"You ready?" Alex asks and Kate looks up towards the Operator.

"Put her through" Kate says as she nods her head.

"Alexis?" Kate says as Greg and Alex stand behind her and wait for a conversation to appear. Kate looks up towards them confused.

"She's not there. It's disconnected" Kate admits.

"Okay, where is she calling from?" Greg asks curiously and Kate quickly types on her keyboard.

"Uh It's a pay phone. The bus terminal" Kate answers and Alex quickly turns away.

"Team One, Alexis just called from a bus station...Bay Street Terminal?" she questions looking at her dad, and noticing him nodding his head.

"Bay Street Terminal" she continues.

"Copy that, Sarge. We're on our way" Eddie advises through the headset.

"Alex! Go! I can stay here with Kate" Greg says as Alex turns back and looks at him.

"Okay" Alex then says as she takes off running towards the stairs.

"Team One I'm on my way. If you guys arrive first go in" Alex states as she grabs the keys for the car from her pocket.

"Copy that" Eddie's voice says.

***

"Guys, there's a bus for Niagara Falls leaving in 15 minutes" Winnie's voice says as Alex pressing the gas pedal feather down watching the cars move out of her way in front of her.

"Copy that" she answers.

"Guys, I'm right behind you" Alex says as she spots Sam, and Eddie's vehicles in front of her.

"Welcome back to the party, Alex!" Wordy says cheerfully through the headset.

"Hope you guys didn't miss me too much" Alex laughs.

Fifteen minutes later all three black SUVs pull up along the bus terminal and the team jumps out grabbing their guns from the trunks. Alex runs in after Eddie and follows closely behind him.

"Okay, we've got Philip Sobol. He has got a gun on the subject. The victim is now the gunman. Repeat-- the victim is now the gunman" Eddie states as the team looks through the bus window.

"Any sign of Alexis?" Jules asks curiously.

"It's hard to say. Let's focus on getting that weapon out of play" Eddie answers.

"If Philip surrenders his handgun, he could be shot by the subject" Alex advises quickly.

"Copy that. Guys, let's get these civilians out of range. Let's do it now. Move" Eddie quickly says as he runs out towards the crowd of people and the rest of the team follows behind him.

"Let's go, folks. Please, let's go" Alex says quietly as she helps a couple and their children past the back of the bus as more people follow behind them.

Alex them run past the group of people and towards the door of the bus, as she feels Eddie tap her shoulder telling her she is good to go. Alex slowly walks up the steps holding up her gun and points it towards Philip and making sure there was enough room for Eddie as well. "Philip Sobol, my name's Alex Parker. I'm with the Police Strategic Response Unit" Alex shouts.

"You people are late-- again!" Philip yells angry.

"Philip, the passengers on this bus are not involved in your dispute with this man, so I'm going to ask you if you could just release them immediately. Could you do that?" Alex questions as she watching Philip look towards the man in front of him and then he looks back at her.

"Philp?" Alex then asks again.

"They can go. Go! Everybody, go! Everybody out!" Philip yells as he waves the gun slightly.

"Thanks Philip. Let's go, folks. Let's go. People at the front of the bus first" Alex advises as the passengers stand up from their seats scared and slowly walk towards her.

"I think I got somebody!" Spike yells through the headset.

"Go ahead, Spike" Greg''s voice says camly.

"I got a witness who saw her with her father at the public lockers. Gonna see if they left anything behind" Spike advises.

"Hey, boss, if she was traumatized by the police, she might run. We're going to have to earn her trust" Jules states.

"Yeah, copy that, Jules. I'm working on it. I'm listening to the calls she made to 911" Greg admits as he sits down next to Kate.

"When was the last time you talked to Alexis?" Greg questions.

"It was just yesterday" Kate answers.

"What did you talk about?" Greg then asks.

Dean looks down at Winnie as she types quickly. "What's he doing?" Dean asks curiously.

"He's profiling. He's trying to understand Alexis so he can help her. There's nobody better than him" Winnie says looking up at him.

"Really?" Dean asks.

"Well, him and Alex are the heart of this team. Without them...I honestly think we would all be lost" Winnie snickers causing Dean to smile.

"And what about Maurice? How's he doing?" Kates voice says as Greg listens to a phone call from yesterday.

"Oh, he's good. He says hi" Alexis's voice says cheerfully.

"Hey, Mo. Same to you" Kates voice laughs.

"He's getting the hang of fractions, finally" Alexis says.

"Well, those can be tough" Kate admits.

"He didn't understand about, like, how you could have four-thirds or six-fifths. How can you have more of a thing than the whole thing?" Alexis asks curiously.

"That's a smart question. How'd you explain it to him?" Kate asks.

"I said it's like you're a whole thing. I'm a whole thing. But when we're together, we're each sort of...more" Alexis explains and the line stays quiet for a few seconds.

"Are you there?" Alexis questions.

"Yes...Wow! That's a great answer" Kate's voice says proudly.

"She, uh she reminds you of your daughter?" Greg asks curiously as he notices the picture on Kate's desk.

"Yeah. When my daughter was sick, we did homework together. Until the very end" Kate explains.

"Yeah, that pain doesn't go away, does it?" Greg asks as he looks down at his hands in his lap.

"I mean, this job-- that doesn't make things easier. You just have to survive other people's losses every day. People who deserve to live. Like your daughter. People who trust you, people who get close to you, people who depend on you. And then, sometimes sometimes those people just go away" Greg begins to say as Dean slowly walks away from Winnie's desk and leans against the wall continuing to listen to his father's voice.

"So what's the point? Why why let anyone matter? Your job and my job, and how precious it is to find someone someone pure, someone real, like a friend, in the middle of all this mess, right? She's not going to want to talk to us-- Alexis. She's going to want to talk to you. She doesn't have any friends except you and, uh, Maurice" Greg continues as he pulls the small stuffed monkey from his pocket and hands it over to Kate watching a small smile grow.

"Now, you know what she's going through. Right now, she thinks her mom's dead and maybe her dad. You got to promise me that you're going to see this through."

"I promise" Kate says as she looks up towards Greg and nods her head.

***

"Guys, CCTV shows them taking out two bags just like this. It's got Heather Sobol's new I.D., a change of clothes, cash, bus ticket" Spike says.

"In case they had to travel separately" Jules quickly adds.

"Yeah, but here's something I don't get" Spike then adds.

"What's that?" Sam asks through the headset.

"They knew where they were going, so why did they need a GPS tracker?" Spike questions confused.

"They didn't. The gunmen must have put it there" Sam advises as he looks towards Jules.

"They had a plan B, too" Jules says.

"Okay, Phil, let's end this. We got your back here" Alex says as she still holds her gun up towards Philip and he looks towards her and Eddie with anger in his eyes.

"Like you had our backs three years ago?" he asks.

"Phil, I want you to listen to me" Alex says as she continues to stay calm.

"They already got my wife. I've lost my little girl!" Philip yells.

"Philip, Heather's alive. Your wife's alive" Alex advises.

"Don't lie to me! I saw her. She was shot in the head" Phillip snaps.

"She got lucky. Philip, she got very lucky. And she's at St.Pat's, and I am going to take you there, but you know what you got to do here, right?" Alex asks curiously as Philip looks towards her and then at the man in front of him.

"He's got a gun" Philip advises.

"And he is going to put that weapon down first. One wrong move, and we'll take him down" Alex admits.

"Wordy?" she questions quietly.

"Going to have to double-tap the glass" Wordy admits.

"Alright, nice and slow. Nice and slow. Put that gun down. Do it now!" Alex yells as the man in front of Philip reaches for his gun.

"That's it. Set it down!" Alex shouts as she watches the man place the gun on the seat next to him.

"Okay, Philip, I'll take it from here" Alex says calmly as she walks closer towards them hearing Eddie behind her.

"She's a ghost because of you!" Philip yells as she pokes his gun towards the man.

"Philip!" Alex warns.

"She has no friends, no school, no life. She wakes up crying every night. She's ten years old, and I have to rock her to sleep every night!" Philip continues.

"It's all right, buddy. Come on" Alex whispers.

"You tried to kill my little girl" Philip says.

"But he didn't, Phillip. He didn't because of you. No, Alexis is alive because of you, and right now she needs you" Alex says as Philip looks towards her.

"Don't do this to her, buddy. She needs you" Alex whispers as a tear falls from Philips eye and she holds he gun up, pointed at him.

After a few seconds Philip sighs and lowers his gun as he takes a step back. "Okay. Subject contained" Alex says as she reaches out and grabs the male in front of her and passes him back towards Eddie.

"Let's go!" Eddie says harshly as he pushes the male off the bus.

"Hey, guys. Alexis borrowed a cell phone from a girl here. She says Alexis never returned it. She turned around, and she was gone" Jules states through the headset.

"That's good news. If she kept it, we can call her. Just send me the number" Greg says.

"And I got her location! Alexis's GPS unit is emitting the same signal as the one in her mother's bag" Spike advises loudly.

"Where is she?" Alex questions curiously.

"Dundas, heading west to Beverly" Spike states.

"On our way" Jules answers.

***

Greg writes the number down of a piece of paper and hands it over to Kate. "Here's the number" he says as she turns around and quickly punches it in on the phone and Greg puts on a headset ot listen in. The phone rings for a few seconds before heavy breathing could be heard.

"Alexis, honey, are you okay?...Honey, where are you going right now?" Kate begins.

"I'm tired" Alexis's voice cries.

"I know" Kate says.

"I can't do this anymore" Alexis admits as she tries to catch her breath.

"Yes, you can" Kate quickly says.

"I'm all alone now."

"No, you're not alone.Your mom and dad-" Kate begins to say but Alexis cuts her off.

"They got my mom and dad!"

"Lexie, listen to me. Everything's going to be just fine."

"I saw them shoot her!" Alexis cires.

"Her position's updated. She's off Beverly, maybe behind the gallery" Spike advises through the headset.

"They'll just keep chasing me. I want to stop" Alexis states.

"Just keep her on the line" Greg whispers and Kate nods her head.

"Lexie, don't give up on me now. Honey, you got to stay with me, please" Kate says camly.

"I just want all this to be over" Alexis cries out again before hanging up the phone.

"I lost her" Kate says as she looks towards Greg who was now dialing a number on his phone.

"No we didn't" Greg says placing the phone up to his ear.

"Come on, come on" Greg says impatiently.

"We're behind the gallery. No sign of Alexis" Jules says as her and Spike run out of the car and look around.

"Spike?" Sam questions confused.

"Her signal stopped moving" Spike answers.

"It's 'cause she dropped her stuff" Jules says as her and Sam run towards the ringing cell phone and bag that was laying on the ground behind a tree.

"You know her better than anybody. You know she's a fighter. But what does she want? Where would she go?" Greg asks quickly as he stands behind Kate looking down at the book of transcripts from their conversations.

"She wants just to be normal. She wants to stop running..." Kate explains.

"She wants to be more than three-thirds" Greg smiles causing Kate to look up at him.

"She wants a friend" Kate adds.

"Boss, she dropped her stuff in the park. And there's a playground here" Jules advises as Sam stands behind her with binoculars.

"I see her. Red sweater in front of a slide. Boss, there's kids, lots of them" Sam explains.

"That's why she's going to the playground. Okay, team, just keep your distance. She's still traumatized. She sees police, she may run" Greg demands.

"That park is beside a school" Kate quickly states.

"Spike, we need a lockdown" Greg adds and Kate quickly stops him.

"No, we can do it. East Ridge, lock it down!" Kate yells looking towards another co-worker.

"Locking it down" the man says.

"Dad. I'm here" Alex's voice says through the headset.

"Copy that Alex, we're on our way down"

"Uh, let me come" Kate then quickly says as she places her headset down on the desk.

"That was the plan. Let's go" Greg smiles as him and Kate quickly make their way down stairs.

"We got company. Looks like the third subject" Sam says.

"He's got the jump on us" Jules sighs.

We can't approach from here; the square's too open. We'll put the kids in danger" Sam explains.

"Okay, you go high, I'm gonna go around. Don't take your eyes off of him" Jules says before they both head in different directions. It takes them both a few minutes until they are ready to go.

"Sam?" Jules asks through the headset.

"In position" Sam answers.

***

Eddie pushes the guy into a police car as Wordy leads Philip past Eddie in handcuffs. "Where is she! Where is Alexis?" he asks worried.

"Philip, we found her in a park" Eddie explains.

"A park? She's exposed?" Philip questions.

"And my team's gonna keep her safe. We're gonna take you with us" Eddie says as he turns and walks towards the driver's door of the SUV.

"Boss, we're on our way. We got Philip Sobol in custody" Eddie then says.

"Jules, what do you see?" Sam asks through the headset.

"'I'm south side. Alexis is playing, she's exposed. Subject's about twenty meters right of the play structure" Jules explains.

"There civilians in the area?" Eddie questions curiously.

"Nine children, three caregivers" Jules states.

"Got to get them out of there" Eddie says.

"We do that, we'll be alerting the subject to our presence" Alex explains.

"You want all those kids in the crossfire?" Eddie asks quickly.

"They're what's keeping her safe. Alexis knows that!" Philip says from the back seat.

"This guy spent three years chasing down one witness. He's not going to expose himself to twelve more" Greg advises.

"Okay, but, Sam, second she's threatened..." Eddie begins to say.

"I got the solution" Sam answers quietly.

"We're approaching the park" Alex says as she pulls up to the curb and opens her door, jumping out, followed by Greg.

"Kate you just stay here for now, okay?" Greg says calmly and Kate nods her head.

"People are starting to leave; Alexis is exposed" Jules says and Alex and Greg run towards the park. They both slow down and look towards Jules who looks back at them and they both quickly run towards her and crouch down behind a small blue and red fence.

"The subject's approaching her" Sam says slowly.

"Boss, how much closer?" Sam asks as they all watch the man approach Alexis who was now swinging on the swing alone and looking towards the man with worried eyes.

"Stand by. Imminent threat only" Greg says through the headset.

"Standing by" Sam says.

The man takes a few more steps towards the swings as Alexis stops by placing her feet on the ground. "I'm gonna lose him. No solution, no solution!" Sam says panicked through the headset.

"I haven't slept in three years because of you" the man says as Alex slowly stands up.

"Alex!" Jules whispers, but she ignores her and holds her gun up towards the man.

"Me neither" Alexis says quietly. Alex watches as the man pulls a gun out from his pocket and slowly brings it up towards Alexis.

"Alex Now!" Greg yells and Alex quickly pulls the trigger and hearing the loud screaming of Alexis over the loud noise of her gun. Once the man falls to the ground Alex lets out a deep breath and slowly lowers her hands back down to her sides. "Subject down" she says quietly as her dad and Jules stand up from behind the fence. Alex then looks back at Alexis who was looking frantically around at all the police cars around her and all the cops who were getting out of them. She quickly jumps off the swing and runs towards the playground climbing up and hiding behind one of the main walls.

"Alexis?" Jules says slowly as she walks towards the playground.

"Go away!" she screams.

"You can come out. It's over" Jules explains camly.

"Go away!" Alexis cires.

Alex then looks over towards her father to see Kate standing there beside him. Alex holds out her hand and motions for her to come towards her. "Alexis? Honey, it's me" Kate begins as she walks closer towards the playground.

"It's Katie" she says and Alexis slowly appears in the small window shocked.

"Katie?" she questions before she quickly runs down the small ramp and straight into Kates arms.

***

Alex hands her gun over to the SIU and looks back at her team before walking away with the two officers. One of them opens the back door to the car and she climbs in. Alex smiles as she watches Alexis Run towards her father and wrap her arms around him before the car begins to drive off. "You did good Alex. It's just Protocol?" one of the officers says as he turns around and looks at her from the passenger seat.

"Yeah, I know" she sighs.

***

"We're good" Greg asks as him and the team walk out of the briefing room and notice Alex walking towards them.

"How are you?" Greg asks as he wraps his arms around her and holds her tight.

"Good debriefing without me?" she laughs as he lets her go.

"How'd it go?" Spike asks as he walks towards her and stands beside her.

"It was good. Protocol. Ongoing" Alex explains.

"Hey" Eddie then says causing Greg and Alex to look towards him as he looks behind them. Greg and Alex both turn around and notice Dean standing a few feet away looking towards them. Alex turns back around and was about to walk away when a hand grabbed her arm gently and pulled her back.

"Alex" Eddie whispers as Spike stops and turns around, looking at her.

"Just give him a shot, Lex. I'll wait for you" Spike smiles. Alex then closes her eyes taking a deep breath, and then looks back towards Spike.

"Okay" she whispers. Spike then nods his head before turning around and walking around the corner.

"Come on" Eddie then whispers as he places a hand on the small of Alex's back and gently pushes her towards her dad and Dean.

"Uh, hey, sorry, man, I-I Sorry I had to take off like that before" Greg says awkwardly and Dean shows a small smile.

"That girl-- she okay?" Dean asks curiously, and Greg looks down at Alex and then back up at Dean.

"Yeah, yeah, she's gonna be okay" Greg answers cheerfully.

"That's good" Dean admits. Then everything goes silent for a few seconds before Eddie steps in with a smile on his face.

"Hey, buddy. Remember me?...Ed?" Eddie says as he holds out his hand.

"Huh?" Dean says confused as he takes Eddie's hand in his to shake.

"He used to have hair" Greg laughs as he holds his hand over Eddie's head causing Alex to snicker quietly.

"Uh, yeah, we used to go over to your place" Dean then says.

"That's right" Eddie smiles.

"Clark?" Dean then asks curiously.

"That's right. That's right!" Eddie laughs.

"You had that, uh, golf course behind your place, right?" Dean questions.

"Yeah, we used to steal golf balls when people got them on the green" Dean then snickers.

"So how's the life of crime going?" Eddie then asks and Dean looks up at Greg with a small smile on his face.

"I've pulled back a bit" Dean admits.

"That's good to hear. It was good to see you, Dean" Eddie smiles once again holding out his hand.

"Yeah, you too" Dean smiles as he takes Eddie's hand in his before watching him walks away.

"Alright. Yeah, we'll see you later" Greg says as he says goodbye to Eddie before looking back towards Dean.

"You hungry? I could buy you a pizza?" Greg asks and Dean shrugs his shoulders.

"You got any pasta? I could make something" Dean then offers and Greg shows a small smile.

"You cook?" Greg then asks shocked.

"Well, I cook pasta" Dean admits.

"I'll just get my coat, alright?" Greg says as he points towards the locker rooms.

"Okay" Dean says as he nods his head as Alex sighs and turns around and begins to walk away.

"Alex wait!" Dean then shouts and she stops, but she doesn't turn around to face him.

"I was five" he begins and she just stands there with her back towards him.

"I was five and I remember crying out for my dad every night" Dean then says and that sentence casues Alex to turn around to look at him confused.

"I wanted to go with him, but what can a five year old do, Alex?" he says before taking a deep breath and looking towards the ground for a few seconds before looking back at at her.

"Look, you will always be my big sister. That's never going to change. But having you hate me is the worst thing that could happen" he says quietly as Alex's throat begins to tighten up as she holds back unwanted tears.

"I don't hate you, Dean. I am mad at some of the choices you make. But I could never hate you, even if I wanted too" Alex says as she shows a small smile.

Greg walks back with his coat in his hand and he looks towards Dean. "You ready to go?" he asks curiously.

"Yeah, but only if Alex comes with us" Dean smiles.

"Oh really!" Alex laughs.

"What if I had plans" she says jokingly.

"Well then cancel them" Dean laughs.

"Or you could just invite your boyfriend to come with us" Dean says and Alex smiles.

"That sounds like a better plan" Alex smiles as her Greg, and Dean all walk past Winnie's desk and towards the front door. 

________________________________________________________________________________

I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THE DELAY IN THIS CHAPTER!! I lost my charger which stopped me from writing. I know a lot of you have been waiting for this chapter so I really hope you enjoy it!

I am now on night shifts for the next two weeks so I am really hoping to get a few chapters done 😊 

Thank You guys for continuing to read, vote, and share! Love you guys lots!

Angela_Tillson

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

459 76 27
Do we truly know those we consider as our family? This is the last year before the beginning of the rest of Cara and Mia lives! Mia Carter still has...
83.1K 3.2K 19
Harry and Scott work for the Secret Service, head agents assigned to the protection detail for the Prime Minister and his family. Unexpectedly, late...
36.2K 622 37
The life of an SRU officer is never easy, especially when you're the best profiler in the city's daughter and join Team One. Along side Sam, Jules, S...
11.7K 255 15
Olivia Benson, Detective for Manhattan SVU, mother to a five year old little girl, and married to her best friend. What happens when a heinous crime...