Ishihara // ATEEZ ✔

By dreamperfection

This is a world where your worth is as much as the colour of your blood. Akira is the queen's most trusted so... More

Trailer + Playlist
Art by @maimaihope ^^
1 Ruins
2 Queen
3 Post-History
4 Dawn
5 Woods
6 Suspicions
7 Flowers
8 Tour
9 List
10 Tea
11 Scare
12 Worry
13 Reveal
14 Alone
15 Lost
16 Resolute
17 Warning
18 Wish
19 Search
20 Ambush
21 Return
22 Trap-ped
23 Plan
24 Riddle
25 Rescue
26 Escape
27 Regain
28 Truth
29 Happiness
30 Emergency
31 Town
32 Purple
33 Ball
34 Love
35 Reality
36 Past
37 Swapped
38 |1| Fallen
39 |1| Broken
40 |1| Invitation
41 |1| Desire
42 |1| Regrets
43 |1| Light
45 |1| Track
46 |1| Unravel
47 |1| Heavy
48 |1| Home
49 |1| (De/Re)jection
50 |1| Destiny
---
38 |2| Decision
39 |2| Nightmares
40 |2| Tradition
41 |2| Belonging
42 |2| Letters
43 |2| Monochrome
44 |2| Wilted
45 |2| Delivery
46 |2| Skirmish
47 |2| Lies
48 |2| Attempt
49 |2| Bloom
50 |2| Freedom
Author's Note
extra #1: embarrassing day
extra #2: blacksmith's arrival
extra #3: crimson's pride
Sequel...

44 |1| Acceptance

4.3K 381 204
By dreamperfection

As soon as they step foot on the beach, Jongho runs like he's never been there, completely diposing his shoes to let his feet get buried in the sand. The young masters of the Nyla palace - San, Wooyoung, Jongho, Hongjoong, Yeosang and Seonghwa - had agreed on this day to spend time together at the beach, just to let loose and walk away from their duties at the palace for a while. For the past one year since the incident, they continued on with their lives as normal as possible, although there was a pronounced change in the atmosphere in the palace. They still gathered for tea as usual every day, and although it went unacknowledged, all of them had felt at least once that it was weird to have only 6 of them at the long table.

Today, they decided to gather, and for once, let go of their agony. Every one of them have their regrets.

Hongjoong and Seonghwa smile when they see the younger ones playing around on the beach; Jongho is running around trying to catch San, who keeps on shouting that they're by the beach. Yeosang is crouching over, his hands busy trying to build a sandcastle, while Wooyoung is aggressively threatening to topple it down. When Wooyoung managed to kick the top part of his sandcastle, Yeosang immediately stands up and chases him, chaos ensuing as he desperately tries to grab Wooyoung's clothes.

"You'd think they'd be mature by now... they're adults but they still act like kids," Hongjoong laments, a smile still playing on his lips. "Can't believe that one of them is supposed to be ruling a kingdom right now."

"It's better to see them like this, right? Rather than having them shrouded with sadness everytime we see them," Seonghwa replies. "Reminds us of what it's supposed to be like."

The blacksmith side-eyes him, trying to study his expression without being too obvious. He notices that Seonghwa is merely looking at the sea, his face serene. He doesn't look too happy, but he doesn't look sad either. He's just... neutral. Like he's not even thinking about anything. "Do you... still blame yourself for what happened?"

"It's hard not to, but it was their choice. They chose to walk in there, knowing what their fate will be. We were the ones who were clueless but that's all in the past, isn't it?" he sighs, "And that's why we're here today. To forget. To forgive ourselves."

"Have you?" Hongjoong suddenly attacks him. "You told everyone else to forget about it and there was nothing we could've done to save them, but have you ever really let them go? You're the oldest and I know you think you have to act like you're strong, but it doesn't have to be that way. Stop pretending."

The oldest doesn't answer but he stands up, seemingly wanting to join the younger ones. But his feet stay glued to the spot, his fists balled and lips pursed. He closes his eyes, listening to the waves crashing on the beach as his memories and regrets play in front of him like a movie, with Akira, Yunho and Mingi's face presenting themselves clearly. As the last scene of them lowering down their caskets into the earth stops, he opens up his eyes. He tries to hide his surprise when he finds Hongjoong standing in front of him, staring at him with a concerned expression. Hongjoong's features soften when he sees the oldest opening his eyes, then a smile slowly creeps up on his face.

"I let them go one year ago," Seonghwa lies through his teeth.

Hongjoong raises his eyebrows. He knows Seonghwa is lying; he can never hide his expression when it is all bared in his eyes. He decides to accept his answer anyway, and he gestures towards the others. "Would you like to join them? They seem to be having so much fun."

"Thought you'd never ask," he grins, already breaking into a jog to join them.

Jongho suggests them to play volleyball, and although there is a strong protest from San because he knows how fierce Jongho could get when playing, the rest decides that it's not a bad idea. They do warn him not to knock anyone out, and Jongho lazily agrees before excitedly running to the carriage to take the ball they've brought from the palace. They divide themselves into two groups, with Yeosang, Jongho and Hongjoong on one side and San, Wooyoung and Seonghwa on another. Hongjoong starts the game by serving the ball, and soon they've spent almost the whole morning playing the game. The game ends as Wooyoung lifts up his hands in defeat, with him lying on the hot sand and mumbling about how he needs water desperately. Besides their carriage coachman, some fishermen and two seashell collectors, they are the only ones who came there to have some leisure, and it is as if the whole place is theirs. Their day quickly turns into night as they swim around in the waters, sunbathe, laze around on the sand and watch the sunset.

As night comes, Wooyoung and Jongho search around for firewood, hoping to find enough to ignite a fire that can warm all six of them. Hongjoong helps with igniting the fire, then joining the rest, huddled around the fire as they try to find a comfortable spot to sit. They know it's going to be a long session, and they probably won't come back to the palace until late at night. It doesn't matter, because they're not rushing to go anywhere. Whatever they're chasing is right here, and that's what they plan to do as they look at each other, trying to ask quietly on who's going to start talking.

Yeosang starts first. "It's been one year since Mingi, Akira and Yunho had left us and I-" he stops to correct himself, "-we all know that we've been telling each other that we had let go." He looks around, and no one cares to object. "But we all know, deep down, we still haven't let them go. We're here today because we agreed we wanted to forget, not them, but of all the regrets we had towards them."

It's quiet at first because it's the truth they want to deny, but proves to be hard when that's all they've been reminded of for the past year. When he sees that still no one wants to start talking, he continues with the lead. Seeing how he relays his own, the rest finally relax and follow suit.

Yeosang wished that he could have at least saved Akira and Yunho, since that was supposed to be his job when he followed them to battle that day, but he couldn't. He panicked when he saw them lying on the ground, the poison taking its effect almost immediately and his medicinal skills failed him at that moment.

Hongjoong wished he actually knew what Akira had meant when she promised to get revenge for his dead wife and that her idea of retribution meant sacrificing herself. He wished that he could keep reminding her that it wasn't her fault in the first place and that she shouldn't have felt guilty at all. She felt the need to get revenge for his wife and Mingi, that she had decided her demise was the only way she could get it.

Jongho wished he could had been more patient rather than rushing to go back to Lucida. He had a bad feeling and he was right when he came back to find that his own father was killed by none other than the general herself. Him being vexed and dejected was an understatement, but as he saw Akira apologizing just before she stepped into the palace, he only saw a person who was sincere and wanted to make things right.

Wooyoung wished he had acted on his instincts when he kept looking at his own blue blood on the day Mingi died. It was a sign and that uneasiness could have made him save Mingi, but he decided to throw it away and convince himself that it was nothing. Mingi had invited him to go together to the forest, but he refused saying that he was tired and only felt like staying back at the palace. If only he had agreed to follow him that day, Mingi wouldn't be alone as the arrows struck him.

San wished he was brave enough to take on the throne, because everything was set into motion when Akira was sent to uncover the Shadow King's identity. He felt that it was his fault he didn't reveal himself to Akira and Yunho as he overheard their conversation about the king. He should have understood what she meant when she said, 'there wouldn't be a next time.' He was too preoccupied by his own worries that her line was basically giving away on what she had planned to do next.

Seonghwa wished that he could have seen through her and understood the message that she was trying to tell him. She bid goodbye to him silently while he stayed nonchalant. He was positive the ending was going to be a happy one, while she was preparing to take her last steps.

No one interrupts each other, letting each of them relay their regrets. That's what they're trying to do; to let it all out, trying to find peace.

They finish their session by each releasing lanterns into the sky, as a symbolization of them letting go of the past. Wooyoung, being one who is the best at hiding his sadness, cries the hardest as the lantern leaves his hand, floating away from them. Ever since Mingi died, he finds himself letting down more tears, even more than he did for his past 21 years collectively. He doesn't wipe away the tears, and only when he feels San's hand on his back does he realize that he has been breaking down for a good 5 minutes.

They look up to the sky, their lanterns a bright entity against the dark background. As the lanterns are gone with the wind, they decide to finally move forward, this time really putting their remorse behind them. As they turn around to gather around the fire again, Yeosang mutters, "The sky... changed colours." Collectively, they turn their attention once again to the sky. It's only a patch of that has changed colours, but they can see it clearly. They are rendered speechless when they see that it is a mixture of three colours, their distinctive hues showing that it is made up of blue, black and red.

"Blue is Mingi's favourite colour..." Jongho trails off. They silently agree on it, because they know what it means.

"Yunho's favourite colour is red," Yeosang continues. When they look at him questioningly, he explains, "He told me that he always liked the colour red because he had always dreamed of becoming a nobleman. He said he was jealous of me because I was one."

"Then the last colour must be Akira's favourite," Hongjoong offers.

"Because that's the only colour she sees besides white," Seonghwa says with a tinge of sadness in his voice, but he doesn't dwell on it further.

"They... are saying goodbye to us," San smiles slightly, his chest strangely feeling lighter. The rest feel the same, and they stand in a line by the beach, the water rushing in to soak their feet. They breathe in the salty air with a newfound tranquility. They quietly plant their own resolutions in their hearts.

It's not an easy task, but they've finally let them go. Despite it being late, despite it being only one year later. The six of them have found peace and has decided that the best way to honour the deaths of the three is to move forward.

---

Wooyoung and San stay bickering throughout dinner, in which Wooyoung keeps telling him that the pasta they're having is too salty while San keeps on taking the cooks' side and says that his taste buds are damaged. The other four munch on the dish, taking no sides. As Yeosang finishes his last string of pasta, San quickly points it out. "If Yeosang can finish it without complaining, that means it's not salty."

"Or it just means that he's too lazy to point it out. You know how he can be so lazy sometimes he doesn't open his mouth to speak."

"Hey-"

"It's not stirred in evenly. There, problem solved," Jongho butts in, already annoyed by the two bickering. "Seonghwa and Hongjoong got the salty ones while Yeosang and I got the normal ones. Look at them almost choking trying to finish the food. So both of you are correct, okay? Now can we please carry on?" He fakes a smile while his hand is already gripping his fork, threatening to stab either one of them if they don't shut up in the next second.

"Wooyoung, you told us that you're planning to travel to Estar to find your parents, right?" Hongjoong tries to change the subject, already giving up on the salty dish.

After Mingi's death, his parents found a piece of paper stashed in his wardrobe as they were cleaning his belongings and Wooyoung's parents - Estar followed by two names were written on it. They immediately relayed the message to the palace occupants, and as soon as the news reached Wooyoung, he didn't know how to react. He was devastated that he didn't have the chance to thank Mingi, but at the same time he was scared of what he will find out if he ever decided to track down his parents. He made a decision to follow the lead, because he figured he had nothing to lose anyway - if he couldn't find them he would just continue on with his life and if he did, at least he could feel like he belonged somewhere.

Wooyoung nods, his hands clasped together as he returns his focus towards the blacksmith.

"When are you planning to travel there?"

"If there's no obstacle I'll start tomorrow." He pretends to wipe a tear, "I'm going to miss the rest of you because I don't know how long I'll be gone."

"Don't worry because I definitely won't miss you," Yeosang comments.

Wooyoung 'tsks' at the comment, but he quickly loops an arm around him as he pulls the doctor closer to him. "I'm very sure you're going to start missing me the moment I step out of the palace." He ruffles the doctor's hair.

Seonghwa snorts at this. "You're starting to make me reconsider my decision to follow you around. I'd prefer to stay in the palace, but I can't really trust Jung Wooyoung on his own, can I?"

"The next moment we're going to find women from Estar following him back to the palace," Hongjoong agrees.

"And it's going to be a death battle between between the ladies," Jongho shudders.

"I'll make sure they won't ever step foot in the palace," San says half-jokingly, but they notice the slight change in his tone.

"You do... have the power to do that," Jongho says - they know what he's actually hinting at - and the mood suddenly turns serious again.

It's a battle that Choi San has been fighting silently over the years; a battle that he has with his own self and the memories of his distant family. Parents that he could never call his own, a brother that was too high up on the throne. He is the rightful heir to the throne, proved by the white blood flowing in him, the crown waiting patiently to find its place on his head. But San is not prepared. He only dedicates his life to become a servant, that the picture of him taking his place on the throne seems unreal, one that he shouldn't imagine. He feels that he's not even worthy of thinking about it.

But he knows. Time is running out, and no matter how scared he is, Nyla needs a king. They can't keep on lying to the people, when San keeps on denying his position. It's a deeply-guarded secret they've managed to keep for long, but it's a secret that costed Akira, Mingi and Yunho's lives. Taking on the throne can be a way to honour their deaths; San needs to face his fear.

Akira and Yunho's short presence to Lucida taught them a lot and left a deep impression. They had been living comfortably in the palace that they tended to forget that a kingdom like Lucida still exists, where people were treated like animals if your blood colour happened to be different than the respectable ones. Akira came to the palace with Lucida's attitude but in the short amount of time they could see how she was just like them and she was trapped in a kingdom that didn't value her as a human. The change was short-lived, because Akira, Yunho and Mingi lost in the battle against royalty. In their final moments, they went down together with the queen, and Lucida currently has no ruler because the queen had no descendants. The kingdom is in a state of uncertainty, their people feeling lost because the tradition that had been held for long was finally broken when the queen passed away. Even after a year, the people of Lucida can't get used to the fact that they're no longer labelled based on their blood colour.

They're taking baby steps in accepting it and it might take a while for them to fully realize that they're finally unshackled from the tradition.

If Lucida can change, San decides, then I can too.

He looks around the dining table, cracking a small smile. Maybe there are only the six of them left, but their relationship is still going on strong. He knows, although they don't say it out loud, they will be there for him when he decides to finally take on the position.

"This... is for Akira, Yunho and Mingi," San concludes.

"All hail the new king," Wooyoung announces, his voice reverberating through the hall. The rest join in.

They don't see it, but throughout the whole kingdom, the sky changes colours to a mixture of blue, red and black. Three shooting stars pass by, illuminating the sky for a few seconds. This will be the start of a new era for Nyla. This was the answer that Akira and Yunho were looking for.

Choi San is the Shadow King.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 8.7K 30
She has her head in the clouds, but eventually she will have to come down... She holds the key that can yield the bearer the greatest power ever imag...
106K 8.9K 45
A case of mistaken identity, or a case of double identity? They are a rookie security team who were given a shot at becoming bodyguards for the daugh...
39.9K 1.3K 30
Just another dark erotic fanfic about ateez. Started: 6 - 30 - 20 Ended: ????? WARNING: She Pronouns (idk who would all wanna read this, may change...
10.1K 455 41
*COMPLETED* An ATEEZ fanfic (my first one) - ships are subtle (WooSan and TwoHo) - all 8 members included --- A group of eight young adults fight ha...