Of Hooks and Cods. The Count...

Από Writer_JordanK

Some who are familiar with the history of Western Europe may have heard about the Dutch Revolt in the 16th ce... Περισσότερα

0.Prologue Frisia 26 September 1345 (revised)
Part I The Widow and the Regent
Chapter 1, The Hague, October 1345
Chapter 2, The Hague, Fall-Winter 1345
Chapter 3 The Hague, to February 1346
Chapter 4, France & Holland Summer, 1346.
Chapter 5, France, Summer 1346.
Chapter 6, France & The Low Countries, Summer 1346
Part II Uncle and Niece
Chapter 7, The Low Countries, Summer 1346 to Spring 1347
Chapter 8, The Low Countries, Winter and Spring 1347.
Chapter 9, The Low Countries, Spring and Summer 1347.
Chapter 10, Hainaut Fall, 1347.
Part III Count and Empress
Chapter 11, Holland, Fall 1347- Spring 1348
Chapter 13, Holland, fall 1348 - spring 1349
Chapter 14, The Low Countries, Summer 1349
Chapter 15, Hainaut and Brabant , Winter 1350
Part IV Hooks and Cods
Chapter 16, Hainaut & Holland, Winter to Spring 1350
Chapter 17, Holland, Spring 1350
Chapter 18, Holland, Spring 1350
Chapter 19, Holland, Spring 1350
Chapter 20, Delft, August 1350
Chapter 21, Holland & Brabant, Spring to Summer 1350
Chapter 22, The Low Countries Fall 1350 to Winter 1351
Epilogue, Luxembourg, Spring 1351
Writer's note

Chapter 12, Holland, Summer 1348- fall 1348

15 4 4
Από Writer_JordanK

William had turned 18, the right age to be crowned. William felt the clock ticking and frustrated himself thinking about his mother. She was the direct daughter of a previous Count, however also a woman. The only better option was Beaumont, but he was too old and without an heir. William would eventually get the crown but he feared how long his mother would linger. Should he let the states of Holland crown him before his mother could abdicate? How would she feel about that, and would the nobility of Hainaut follow? What if it would unleash a war between the two realms?

He had written a letter to his mother writing that he wished her to come home soon because he missed her at his birthdays. He also added that the states of Holland are becoming very restless and urge direction from a ruler, suggesting that his mother should come back and take matters back in her own hands but actually insinuating that it is time that he had to become that ruler.

She wrote back claiming that she couldn't travel north now the lands were plagued with sickness. She feared for her own health if she would leave the castle. For a time William started to believe that his mother only came up with this story about a plaque as an excuse not to come back and to strengthen her force in Hainaut. It drove him crazy, but then it happened.

News of Dordrecht reached The Haque. First the sea merchants fell ill, then the riverboat traders, the cart drivers, the journeymen, bankers, craftsmen, the poor, Jews, the clergy and eventually the nobility. Hundreds died within a week, another hundred remained sick for months, still dying afterwards. Only a few restore to health but why was unclear. Because at first only the traders, the bankers and the Jews became sick the clergy claimed that they had abandoned God's teachings and this was their punishment, but soon also they fell ill and died just like the rest.

The Bishop of Haarlem wrote to William: "Everyone with sins should fear this punishment of God. It is clear that not even the clergy is pure. This is all because of the foulness that sprouts in Babylon (meaning the pope in Avignon). The church is without direction and the clergy is falling into decay. Those who follow these corrupted priests will face the same consequences. Only those who still cherish the true faith in their hearths will be spared. Don't trust your confessions and prayers to any priest, my lord, because only God knows their true intentions. Isolate yourself and pray in solitude and confess to God directly. As the keeper of your people, you have the authority to do so. When this is over it will be clear who was pure and who was not, because those who are will still be alive and things can return to normal."

--

William treasured his friends and held them near for as long the Plaque haunted through his realm. After Dordrecht Delft soon followed, Gertrudeberg, then The Haque, Leiden, Utrecht, Naarden, Amsterdam, Haarlem, Alkmaar, Egmont and into Frisia. Claus, Gilbert and Wolter stayed permanently at court. They tried to entertain each other while they were locked in William's castle. During the summer they did spend some time in the gardens but only with absolute guarantee that no peasant would be closer than 5 meters from the castle grounds, also any guard that came in touch with a peasant or burgher was to be removed from the premises and garrison the city.

At first, the friends could talk about politics and the other nobles' businesses. But when time went by, nothing new could be said. They plaid cards, read books, played instruments, drank the innards of the castle's wine and beer stock and enjoyed the company of the house maidens, dropping the formalities more and more knowing that the castle was abandoned except for them and the household staff. Sometimes the castle seemed to have turned into a pleasure house. Ladies running naked true the halls while the boys chased them. Fucking in groups on the tables of the great halls, turning it into one big orgy, but not William. Even though he did not shy away from public lovemaking in his own castle, he remained only interested in Hedwig. Only she could give him what he wanted. She wasn't just some plaything for him to visit every now and then. He was in love. She was his first, and no one knew his body better than she did.

Wolter was clearly one of the new generation nobles. He despised to old houses in the south of the Netherlands who tried so hard to trace themselves back to the lineage of Charlemagne and adopted the French court style. Holland was a relatively young realm. During the twelfth century, only a handful of noble houses reigned in the area around The Haque and Dordrecht after the Duchy of Lower Lotharingia became nothing more than a theoretical title. The house of Holland allied itself with fortune seeking knights and together they drove the Frisians to the other side of the South Sea. It were those knights who were granted lands in the newly gained territories. From nothing these knights rose to be the new landed aristocracy and even when the House of Holland was replaced by the French house of Avegnes they remained respected by the Counts. But for the last decades the old houses tried to regain their old standing, adopting French customs, seeing themselves as equals next to the Counts, like princes of the Netherlands, ruling like old fashion feudal lords over their domains, totally ignoring the new opportunities in trade, money circuits and the rise of the cities. The new nobles didn't ignore these changes, rather they engaged in them, like Wolter's father, like Gilbert's and Hedwig's fathers and like Claus. Because of this, they were richer than the old nobility, but still the old claimed to be superior to them, only because their houses were older. Wolter openly shared these frustrations with William. The months locked up made them very close to each other.

"I fear my mother is desperately hanging on to here descendance, being that she is the last of the house of Avegnes to rule over both Hainaut and Holland," William said to Wolter. 

The two were resting in one of William's chambers. Each occupied a comfortable chair, next to a warm fireplace while outside the first cold rains of September had presented themselves.

"Your mother's house never clung on to the old ways, that is why my father respected them so much," Wolter replied with a deep voice. Wolter was smaller, less muscular build than Gilbert, but he wasn't as sleek as Claus. Wolter was a very balanced combination of combat fitness, elegant posture and an average political wit. 

"Yes but right now that is the only thing keeping her in power, denying my father's house to take over."

"I'm sure it isn't that. She might just be protective like most mothers, thinking that you're not up to the responsibility of ruling."

"She hasn't seen me for two years! She doesn't know how much I've changed!"

"That's why you can't blame her."

"I guess you are right, Wolter," William sighed. 

"Besides...," Wolter added. "if so, she wouldn't suddenly ally herself to the old nobility, while she just crushed those in Hainaut."

"My mother is very opportunistic. She will ally herself to those she despises just to get what she wants."

"Hopefully next year everything will be blown over and she can come back, see how much you have changed and abdicate the throne for you."

--

But things didn't look as bright as Wolter had hoped.

After spending six months in a castle the four friends couldn't stand to stay locked up any longer. They decided to take a ride with their horses, but to be sure avoiding visiting big cities. They rode north, to Gilbert's father's castle near Naarden. It was a two days ride and they decided to stop at an inn near Amsterdam. Amsterdam was a small fishing town with some sea traders stationed there, but since hostilities had risen again between Frisia and Holland, those traders avoided the passage between the two realms which they had to take in order to reach Amsterdam. Even so, the company still feared that the town would still have too many inhabitants and therefore more sick people. So they decided to stay at an Inn a few kilometres south of the town. 

The route led them through many swamps and lakes. There were only a few strokes of land in-between steady enough to have roads which could carry carts, oxen or horses. Most of the common people would travel through barge. Bargemen would stand on the bank pulling the barge by rope, leading the travellers with their cargo from one side to the other or following the rivers or streams from town to town. But such a way of travel was beneath nobility, even though it was much more efficient than travelling on horseback in these lands.

"Oh dear." 

"I didn't know it was this bad."

"I can't believe my eyes."

The swamps in front of them were filled with them. Dead bodies, just floating, rotting, staring with empty eyes. Claus, Wolfert and Gilbert looked on in disbelieve. 

"I going to be... I am" William let out a spray of vomit. 

"Are you okay, William?" Claus asked. 

William wiped his mouth and cleaned his hand with the water in his flask. 

"How?" he asked. 

"There must have died so many and in such a short time that they couldn't all be buried on blessed ground. Not even with caskets as it seems," Wolfert said. "The September rains must have uncovered them."

"Absolutely horrifying," Claus replied. "We can postpone this journey for an other time, if you wish, William?" 

William looked at the horizon. "No, even this is better to spend another day in that castle, let's go." 

As time went by and they passed more bodies, William's mind numbed. The sick feeling in his stomach disappeared. After three hours of riding, he even started to count them. In the few minutes remaining before they reached the inn, he had counted forty-two bodies. 

One of their guards had ridden ahead to warn the innkeeper of their arrival. When they got there the guests showed their best behaviour, sitting on one side of the inn while the other was reserved for William's company.

"Such an honour to welcome you in my inn, milord. What can I get for you and your companions?"

"Your best ale, my good man," William said ravelling like a highborn among the presence of commoners. William was in need of some distraction after seeing so much death and decay along the way.

"Right away, milord."

"The people here do not seem too much affected by the plaque," Claus noticed.

"God forgives some sins committed by the simple. No doubt this ruble isn't so pure as you think, they certainly don't look like it." Wolter said. "No doubt some of them must have committed some unrighteous violence, theft or adultery. But what to expect from people so close to wild animals."

"You should be nicer to my peasants, Wolter,"  William said.

"I am sorry, William. I just never met a civilised looking peasant before."

"I know, but you don't blame dogs for being dogs either, don't you?" 

"You are right. They have their role on this earth and we must thank them for that."

"Thank them for not being us to have that role," Claus said laughing.

By that time the innkeeper returned with the ale. They grabbed a cub each and cheered on Claus' pronunciation.

--

That night William didn't sleep very comfortable. The most luxurious bed in the inn was even more uncomfortable than the beds he led his stable boys sleep in. Although that was what he imagined because he didn't actually know in what kinds of beds his stable boys slept in. Luckily Hedwig slept next to him to keep him warm. Together with two other servants, she travelled along with the company.

The following day it was only three more hours riding east towards Naarden. When they reached Nayroth's castle they saw a keep just as locked away from the outside world as William's castle was. William did not have to present himself. The guard recognized Gilbert and opened the gate.

"Welcome to my home, your grace!" Gerard of Nayroth boomed when he entered his great hall where the company was waiting. "Wasn't expecting a visit from you this year, whit all the horror going on outside."

"I know, but we simply couldn't sit idly while my realm was suffering," William said overly zealous. "I heard some whispers that the cities are in need of financial aid because this sickness is damaging their economy."

"Their greed has brought this sickness upon them if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, my lord, I too appreciate the new ways of accumulating wealth, but rent-seeking, whit those high interests like the Jews and the Italians do, bah! I would wait until the wicked are all dead and then give the remainder the aid they require."

"I'll take your advice into consideration."

"Well, that's enough politics for now. What kind of host am I to welcome you with such troubles. Your chambers will be ready soon, please join me for lunch."

Nayroth's guests who joined William at lunch were much more numerous than he had been expecting. Around the table also stood the stern looking Gerard of Heemskerk and Wolfert's father, also called Wolfert of Borsel, one of his vassals from Zealand. 

"Gentlemen, I wasn't expecting you," William said when he walked towards the long table.

"I hope you don't mind, my lord. When I heard that you would be coming I had to invite my close friends Heemskerk and Borsel here because they have been graving to talk to you," Nayroth replied.

"I've received no letters about their urgency?"

"That is true, my lord," Heemskerk interrupted. "We didn't want to bring your lordship in danger by making you go outside during the plaque. We had to be patient and wait for it to blow over, but then we heard that you were travelling here on your own initiative."

"I see," William said while he took a seat. The other lords now followed the example. "Let's first eat shall we?" William replied smiling. "I'm starving."

Some moments passed. Everyone was enjoying the fine cuisine of their host, even though noble kitchens had to cut back as well now that there was far less traffic bringing food to courts because of the plaque. No one bothered to talk about politics before William opened the subject. Eventually, when he washed away the final piece of goose with some wine, he asked Heemskerk why he needed to see him.

"I was just concerned about how you took the news from Hainaut," Heemskerk replied, still with a stern voice. The man was far too proud to adjust his tone to any Count, perhaps to a king or the Emperor but not a Count. He only strategically chose his words to manoeuvre any conversation how he wanted to.

"You think the nobles there are being mistreated?" William replied.

"No, they got what they deserved, unless you think otherwise?"

"No I agree with you, treason should be punished."

"Thankfully the Countess has brought them back in line before you are crowned as Count."

"Yes, thank God for that," William said thoughtfully.

"But she mustn't think that she is now the highest authority in Hainaut," his good friend Wolter joined in.

"That would be very foolish, even for my mother."

"That is why we wanted to see you, your grace," Heemskerk continued. "So we could guarantee to you that we are not intimidated by Margaret."

"I'm happy to hear so, my lords. According to the law, the regent and Countess have to abdicate before the destined male heir can be crowned, but, as the protective mother she is, I fear she deliberately waits to abdicate, perhaps because she still believes that I'm not yet ready. But if I can show her that the nobility of Holland has faith in me she could be persuaded."

"A wonderful idea," Van Sweeten said. "We should draw up a charter in which we declare that we are ready to follow William of Bavaria as the new Count of Holland and Hainaut."

"I would believe that is unnecessary, could the Countess really be that stubborn?" Heemskerk replied.

"She can be!" William interrupted, "and I thank you for the idea, Claus."

Claus looked proud of his suggestion.

"Very well then," Heemskerk said with an uninterested tone. "Let some clerks draw up the charter and I will gladly sign it." He then rose from his chair and turned to William. 'If you would excuse me, your grace. I am an elderly gentleman, I would like to retreat to my chambers."

"Of course, my lord."

Heemskerk left the room. His concerns were dealt with.

--

Fall blew in full rage over the country. Strong winds and heavy rains had made travelling almost unbearable, so the company stayed at Nayroth's castle until the weather cleared. On the fourth night, all the guest came together in the great hall while William and Hedwig were enjoying themselves in bed. They stood in a circle so none had to speak loudly. Nayroth was standing very uncomfortable, never having to stand longer than necessary, and with gaining ever more weight that became shorter and shorter. Heemskerk had a similar irritated expression, believing himself too proud to be involved in shadowy schemes, but this time he had no choice. Almost everyone involved was present and nobody risked a message or messenger being intercepted by prying eyes and ears.

"Can we expect help from...her?" Heemskerk asked Claus.

"Not at the moment, so it seems. Brabant is going through a difficult transition of power, now that old Duke John III wishes to abdicate his position in favour of his son," Claus replied. "But she will help us financially."

"Well money is always welcome," Heemskerk replied.

"This charter will be perfect," Lord Borsel added. "If Margaret sees it she'll have no choice but to abdicate and we'll have a strong ally in William."

"Do we?" Heemskerk asked. "We are with many, that is true and the Hainaut's nobility is greatly weakened, but completely in the palm of Margaret's hand. And then there are the other nobles who are... 'indecisive'." 

"Opportunistic you mean," Claus said.

Heemskerk returned a grin.

"Perhaps we can show the draft of the charter to the other nobles, so they can see the opportunities it brings for themselves," Nayroth said. "They would want to sign too and with that, we stand a lot stronger against Margaret.'

"Hmmm, that could work. I could take it with me to show the northern nobles," Heemskerk said. "Van Sweeten can take it down south, Gertrudesberg especially and Borsel will show it to the nobles in Zealand." 

"All agreed?" Nayroth asked. Everyone gave an agreeing nod in return. 

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

20.2K 1.8K 53
The kingdom of Oscensi has a dark secret. Buried deep beneath their castle's chambers is a single prison cell. And within is a boy with destruction a...
6.4K 199 34
Arthur Morgan is setting up camp after collecting some debts for Strauss. Knowing its too late to head back, he sets up camp for the night. Not long...
232 6 32
While heroes from three religions unite to save all existence from a threat out of Norse mythology, a thousand year love story begins... The Nine Wo...
334 65 18
The year is 1607, and the Midlands Revolt was crushed by the Monarchy mere months ago. Now branded a traitor and a vandal, Northamptonshire is given...