RISING (#2, of Crows and Thor...

By AvaLarksen

Two girls. Two secrets. Only one can survive. Years before Nelle Wychthorn plans her escape, Tabitha Catt may... More

Season List for Of Crows and Thorns
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140

Chapter 20

7.1K 415 86
By AvaLarksen

I'd already broken so many antiques that the debt I owed the Deniauds' was skyrocketing. Instead, I bounced up and down on my feet. My voice was pitched loud and shrill. "MISS WYCHTHORN! MISS WYCHTHORN!"

It jarred Valarie from her attack.

Her head spun my way. Fury fogged her eyes and cleared like dissipating mist when she saw me standing there. She stood with her legs braced apart, arm pulled back, and her body trembling with lethal tension while she panted rageful breaths.

Laurena's gaze also snapped my way with such unadulterated hatred shining maliciously in her eyes it almost had me staggering backward.

I ducked my head politely. "Miss Wychthorn, your tea," I said, with a practiced smile I certainly didn't feel, and hurried toward her.

Laurena delivered a discourteous glare, tinged with confusion that I was there. Her dark blond eyebrows drew over eyes swimming with venom when she swiveled back to Valarie, giving the other girl's fist beginning to lower a taunting glance. "What are you going to do, Valarie? Hit me?" Her top lip curled into a sneer. "Go on, I dare you," she purred with a menacing edge to her voice, leaning closer, getting right into Valarie's face. "I'd love to bring you to heel. Take you to task."

Valarie flinched as if she'd been the one struck. Her resolve faltered. She briefly closed her eyes, and her arm fell to her side as her shoulders sagged, shrinking inwardly once more. She slumped against the wall and her hair fell across her face like a waterfall of midnight.

Smugness gleamed in Laurena's blue eyes. "Didn't think so."

"Miss Wychthorn," I sang out a little too bright and cheerful, as I reached her. I balanced the tray on one hand while I opened the door to her bedroom and held it for her, waiting with an expected expression, hoping she'd leave Valarie alone and retire to her room.

Laurena had one last piece of advice for Valarie before she entered her room. "If you know what's good for you and your family, Valarie Crowther, keep away from my brother."

The Wychthorn Princess sauntered into her bedroom, looking extremely pleased with herself. I shut the door, catching one last glimpse of Valarie. It felt like Laurena had stabbed a thin blade through my heart and brutally twisted it, to see Valarie's heartache and impotent rage she couldn't direct at anyone but herself. She was barely standing up, supported by the hallway wall, staring up at the ceiling as dewy teardrops slid down her pale cheeks. Her bottom lip, as well as her hands, trembled.

But I couldn't stop to comfort her, I had my own sly agenda to attend to first.

The door closed with a soft snick, and I carried the silver tea tray through the large and opulent bedroom with its four-poster bed and gold-leafed loveseat, past the regal fireplace, to the whitewashed square table with its high-backed chairs adorned in the tangled raspberry pattern that Mrs. Deniaud was currently fond of.

Abhorrence for the Wychthorn Princess heated my blood like a forge furnace, but she'd get her comeuppance soon enough, and that at the very least soothed my angered soul that was eager for revenge.

A beautiful and clearly expensive dress in a gaudy pattern of gold and emerald was spread across the bed. No doubt sometime soon, Laurena would have to dress herself, since her servant would be attending the dance, and get ready for the evening Marissa and her mother, Sanela, had planned for everyone.

The sun was lingering low in the sky with the oncoming autumnal twilight. Bright splashes of sunset colors, bursts of rich burnt orange and bronze, poured through the bedroom's windows and played across the dining table. I carefully placed the teapot and teacup in the center of the table's top, lingering and stalling, unsure of what to do next. I needed to ensure Laurena was going to drink her tea.

Laurena padded over to the mirrored duchess and examined her reflection. My own gaze was ensnared and transfixed by her hair. Such long, beautiful golden hair, and that delicate swan-like neck she arched to the side as she combed her fingers through the locks. With a little sigh of contentment, she picked up a tiara—a Wychthorn Princess's Crown—from the duchess and placed it on her head. The diamonds and sapphires glittered and gleamed as she minutely adjusted it to sit perfectly amongst the silken strands.

My mouth dried up and my tongue rasped my bottom lip like sandpaper as I stared wide-eyed at that lovely hair and the delicate wrought-gold crown nestled on her head and how fragile that neck was. I could snap it in two. I could use a pair of dressmaking scissors and hack through the jugular, if not right through to the bone—Snip-snip.

"Tea," Laurena commanded haughtily, not bothering to look in my direction. "With a splash of milk."

I almost jumped, jarred out of my dreamlike state, and half-turned away to shield myself. Picking up the teapot I poured chamomile into the cup, and slipped the tiny vial out of my pocket, covertly untwisting the stopper. I tipped two drops of potion into the hot amber liquid, watching the silver potion dissolve and disappear. Two drops were enough for what I needed. However, I added a third because I certainly wasn't feeling guilty any longer. If Laurena got a little more ill than I'd originally intended, then so what. After the callousness and cruelty I had witnessed outside the bedroom with Valarie, the Wychthorn Princess deserved it and so much more.

I added a splash of milk and stirred the tea with a silver spoon that made a clinking sound when I placed it back on the silver tray. As my fingers reached for the teacup, the bedroom door flung open and slammed against the wall like a thunderclap, startling both of us. Laurena whirled around. Her hair rippled out like liquid gold with the swift movement.

Byron Wychthorn stormed into the room, striding past me, straight up to Laurena. His composure was gone. Anger gouged deep lines around his eyes and mouth, and the flat planes of his cheeks were blotchy red. Unbridled anger chilled his eyes to an icy blue. "What did you say to Valarie?" he bit out.

Laurena cocked her head, blinking innocently. "Whatever do you mean?"

He slashed his hand through the air and the gold cufflinks in his shirt flashed in the rich light of the setting sun. "Don't try that bullshit with me, Rena. I'm your brother. I know what a viper you can be!"

Laurena discarded the innocence like a snake shedding its skin. She straightened her posture, dragging an indolent gaze over her brother before her mouth curled into a sneer. "A Crowther, Byron? Have you lost your mind?"

Neither of them seemed to care or even notice that I was still in the room. It was a part of being a servant's life—I may as well be one of the furniture. I'd overheard other delicate conversations over the years, though this one seemed blunter. The Deniauds were more conscious of who was with them in the room, a factor I supposed of us being part of their household since they actually knew our names. Of late there was certain friction between Marissa's parents, a coolness between them, which was currently whispered down the Servants' Halls that perhaps Romain or Sanela wasn't faithful.

Laurena barked a cold laugh, tossing back her head. Her shoulders shook with her laughter as she flung her hands up. "Valarie Crowther? Of all the women to choose between and you want someone like her?"

"I am the heir. I will be taking on the mantle of Head of Great House Wychthorn in the very near future, and if I want to marry, then I'll marry. And I'll marry whomever I like!"

Laurena jerked her upper body sideways. "If you pick Valarie, we'll be the laughingstock of the Houses."

Byron lunged forward. "I don't care!"

"I do. I care. I'll never allow someone like her to rule!"

"Really?" he snarled, an eyebrow rising. "And just how do you plan to stop me?"

She started moving around him, circling him like a wolf. "I won't, but Father will. He won't stand for it. Father would never, ever, agree to a union between our family and hers. The Crowthers, for gods' sakes, a Lower House of thugs," she spat. "Valarie can barely articulate a sentence. A toddler can speak better—"

Byron stabbed a finger at her and roared, "Don't you dare!"

Laurena flinched. But her unyielding glare didn't abate.

The tension eased, just slightly, as Byron seemed to shove that rage back down. He took a step away, then another, blowing out a pent-up breath. He glanced away, rubbing the back of his hand beneath his square jaw before bringing a gaze haunted with turmoil back to his sister. His voice was much softer and there was a strained note of pleading in his tone. He lifted a hand, palm upward in supplication. "Maybe if you allowed her to speak instead of doing your best to intimidate her, you'd learn just how intelligent and eloquent Valarie actually is."

Laurena too seemed unbalanced by his plea, her cold and hardened gaze wavering with confusion as her features slackened.

I watched him with wide eyes and my heart hammering in my chest as he turned away and rested his hands on the mantle above the fireplace, one leg bent in front of the other which braced his weight. He bowed his head. Dirty-blond hair slid down his forehead with the movement. He sounded weary as if he held the world on his shoulders. "She's real, Laurena," he said quietly, as his fingers squeezed the mantle, pinching white at the first knuckle. "And I want something for myself. When my time comes to pick up the mantle of Head of Great House Wychthorn, I want someone to come home to who is outside all the machinations of the world of Houses, all those godsdamn power shifts, and without having to look over our shoulders, constantly worrying about who's going to stab us in the back. I want someone outside of it—pure of heart and innocent."

Laurena stared at his despairing figure—stunned. She took a hesitant step, her hand lifting, fingertips stretching toward him. And for a moment I thought she heard him as I did, someone who was adrift and trying desperately to keep his head above water, someone who just wanted one thing, one thing to himself. His anguished tone and words had etched themselves across my heart and I felt for him. Our great leader, who was supposed to be carved from stone, unshakeable and solid, was human. He had a heart and he wanted to keep it beating.

Laurena's hand curled into a fist. "You're weak," she hissed. The look she gave him was filled with loathing and disgust. The vehemence in her cruel tone turned my blood to ice.

Byron squeezed his eyes shut. Agony feathered creases in the skin around his eyes and bracketed his thinned lips. It was as if she'd gutted him with a knife. Yet I could tell he'd also expected this response, while at the same time, I was sure there'd been a shred of hope she'd hear him like I had, and that she'd be willing to stand by him.

Byron drew in a deep breath as if to fortify himself, and pushed off the mantle, stiffening his shoulders and spine. When he swiveled his tall body around, gone was any vulnerability on his expression, replaced by unbreakable iron. "Our father won't last much longer and I'll be Head of Great House Wychthorn, so I'd watch yourself and your spiteful tongue, Rena. If I see you upset Valarie one more time, the first thing I'll do when I rule is to cast you out."

I was frozen in place, wondering what to do, whether I should leave the room or stay. But I needed to make sure Laurena drank the tea.

Laurena's lips twitched and thinned, but the cold wrath melted somewhat. She took several steps back, her demeanor softening. She tugged on her dressing gown's belt, unknotting it, then tightened it and tried a different tactic. "Instead of pursuing the Crowther girl, you should be trying to find out what the Pelans are up to."

Byron's blue eyes narrowed as he shifted his posture and shoved a hand into his trouser pocket, instantly distracted. "Father said as much. Aldert Pelan? That creepy little man."

"That he may be, but he's got Master Sirro in his pocket, and our House is locked out of what is going on. It's unheard of." She shook her head as if trying to reconcile that fact. Her fingers deftly retied a bow, and she adjusted the neckline of the Chinese silk robe and smoothed it down to lay flat across her chest. "Whatever secret plan that horrible little man has concocted needs hunters. Lots of hunters. They're gathering others."

My hand clenched around the empty silver vial hidden in my sweaty palm as my gaze bounced between them both. Freddie and myself, and many more...we've always been in danger of exposing ourselves. But now the Horned Gods were after others. My mind raced ahead of itself, running down various tangents of the new directive. If that were true...even the Houses and their families would start turning on one another.

Laurena moved toward me. I picked up the teacup and saucer and offered them to her, conscious of the soft rattling of the cup and the way the tea sloshed from side to side with my trembling hand.

Laurena pinched the teacup's handle in one hand, the saucer in the other. She didn't say thank you. She didn't even notice me at all.

Steam with light floral hints wafted from the cup. She briefly closed her eyes and sniffed the bouquet before taking a sip, then another, and one more.

Turning to face Byron she said, "There's already dynamic shifts between the Houses. And if we aren't careful, we'll lose our grip on our seat. We're already on shaky ground being shut out from whatever is going on in the Carpeallean Mountains. If the Pelans continue playing favorite pet to the Horned Gods, power will slip through our fingers like sand." She took another sip of tea, a much longer one, before continuing, "I won't stand for it. Neither will father. We need to do something now. And right here is the opportunity to get close to Aldert to find out what is going on. Toss this girl aside and do what you're supposed to do—lead."

Without being dismissed, nor waiting to hear Byron's response, I left the pot of tea and the pitcher of milk on the silver tray, and quietly left the room.

As I shut the door I heard Laurena make a slightly pained sound, much like oooer, then belch.

I couldn't help the wide grin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

477 96 30
Before you begin this story, I must warn you first. This is not a tale of dashing knights and lovely damsels awaiting rescue. It is not the tale of h...
44.8K 1.8K 33
πŸ₯‰πŸ₯‰Third Place in 'New Adult' Platinum Award 2020πŸ₯‰πŸ₯‰ Book 1 in The Gangleader's Obsession duology. Blurb: Shania Jakes has been through a life of...
22.8K 1.3K 24
| 14x π—™π—˜π—”π—§π—¨π—₯π—˜π—— Β· [Open Novella Contest 2022 Longlist] Β· Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson Saga meets The Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. ...
201K 4.3K 54
She's a girl with a powerful family. He's a guy who runs his own mafia. So why do they have anything to do with each other? Why does he have to be he...