WE ARE RUINATION

By shadeandart

In the mighty kingdom of Analide, the kings and queens have always ruled the stars. The stars' energy has bee... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
AESTHETICS
DEDICATION
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER THREE

396 59 38
By shadeandart

"Did you have trouble finding my rooms, Reverie?"

Revy didn't respond as she closed the doors behind her. She walked to her father, elegantly seated at the windows. He was already in his dark suit, sitting on his golden royal cape. He had one leg outstretched and he was waving a finger lazily, golden light trailing it.

It never failed to baffle Revy to see a tyrant seated so comfortably, almost like King Thanatos was just any ordinary human. She gulped at the sight of the power. So careful. So casual as if it was a simple trick to show the children.

But she knew better.

The royal bloodline of Analide has been intact for centuries, since the start of the kingdom throne. Star sons and firstborns, the power of the galaxy being passed down to every King and Queen. It was the reason why Analidians have fought back against every other colonizer, every other kingdom, every other empire, everyone who had tried to enslave them.

One star sent hurtling towards their nation was enough to keep them away. Two weeks of darkness, a strange shift in the seasons, or an irregularity in their days frightened them enough, ushered them back to the comfort of their spiceless foreign lands.

People were afraid of what they couldn't control, of the spectacular raw energy of the world above them.

Colonizers tried to reset it. Their elemental powers tried to have the planet move, tried to stop the crash of an asteroid, the falling of the star, and the destruction that would come.

But they couldn't.

So their Kingdom was left alone, hailed to be the deadly Land of Stars. And the tribes of Analide became more comfortable with one another, friendlier, finally accepting each other as one. They were a Kingdom now, with one ruler and governors to oversee locations.

"Are you ready?" Her father didn't rise from his sprawl, only looked at her. Revy shuddered at his awful, cold eyes.

Whip.

Deep breaths.

Revy focused on the lingering presence of Micah's power, the hidden layer of heat and protection. The love and trust of her brother, helping to grip her strong as she faced the person she hated the most.

Revy breathed in.

She looked her father right in the eye. She looked at this man who hurt her, beat her, scarred her, and trained her. This man who turned her childhood into a living hell, who hurt her people, who brought wreckage into her Kingdom—Reverie faced him, and for once...

I am not afraid.

"Yes, Your Highness." She knelt. The last time she would kneel like this.

He gave her a weak chuckle. Revy kept her head bowed as he rose from his chair and walked towards her, his steps even and unhurried. She felt the shift in the energy as he came closer—it felt alien and otherworldly. Powerful. Thrumming with life and stars.

Mine.

"Do not disappoint me," he said softly. He placed a lazy, aristocrat hand on her head, and it took all of Revy's willpower not to flinch away. Not to recoil as she remembered all the times that hand was curled into a fist, drove into her stomach—

She grit her teeth, clamped her jaw.

"Do you know your responsibilities as Queen?"

The Oath. A simplified version of the Oath.

Her father was making her say the Oath. Revy decided quickly that she won't say to him, alone in his rooms, what she intended to say in front of the watching royalty later.

When it took her a beat too long to respond, he said it again in the same levelled tone. "Do you know your responsibilities as Queen, Princess Reverie of Analide?"

Yes. Power to the people. A changed Analide for everyone, for the poor and not just the rich. Stop the killings. Bring back justice. Lead with grace. Become a protector for the less fortunate.

"Yes," Revy said.

"Do you promise to fulfil your duties, pledged to the stars?"

Yes. I pledge on the stars that I will be the light of this world, ever more, ever shining, and forever strong. I promise to fulfil my duties, above all, to my people. I promise Analide. I promise the children and the women and the poor that I will not become like my father.

"Yes."

"Are you prepared for the weight of these responsibilities?"

Yes. I've known since day one. I've known since I was able to talk. But I am ready, I am passionate, and I will serve.

"Yes."

He chuckled softly, for whatever reason. "Then make your pledge."

Revy breathed in. Dear Night, she hated this fucking room. It was a room of torture and broken spirits. This was the room where he ruined her childhood to toughen her up, prepare for the day she would become Queen. Dizzying.

She swallowed, trying to recall the words they taught her, and not the words she wrote for herself in the dead of night. She struggled slightly to find the words her father wanted, and not the earnest words of the heart.

Father tapped his foot impatiently, and Reverie was brought back to that one time he made her clean his boots. She swallowed again, refusing to have her throat clog up, and looked away, focusing instead on the brown carpet. "Well?"

"I—" She cleared her throat. "I, Reverie of Analide, promise to uphold the duties and responsibilities of Queen." What's the next sentence? "I will be the stars' champion, evermore, until the day I die."

"Good," he muttered.

"I promise to uphold the ideals of Analide, for the throne—"

There was a sudden knock on the door. Overcome with relief, Revy let her shoulders slump, letting go a breath.

"Come in," Father said. She took this as cue to rise from her kneeling.

To both of their surprise, it was Micah there. No servant or guard coming to fetch them, but it was Micah with the wicked smile and his warmth filling the room. He inclined his head to father but his eyes are on Revy. Gleaming.

"It's time," he said.

~

The flurry of the ceremony was wonderful.

Revy mounted her horse, and then she and her entourage were off to ride out the castle gates, through the city streets, and to the ancient Courtyard of ceremonies. It sat on the space between two mountains, a solemn space of coronations and peace treaties.

The view was magnificent. Immediately as they rode down the hill of the castle and to greet the people, Revy held her head higher and smiled. It was a sea of orange and gold, smiling faces and waving arms. They held silk banners and flaglets, crying out her name in joy. The flurry and constant movement made her flush with pride.

"Reverie! Reverie! Queen Reverie!"

As they paraded through the city, people parted to let them pass. It wasn't an easy task, because the capital city was packed with people today. Citizens from all across the archipelago have come to see her, some still in their riding leathers and semi-sleepwear. So Revy wanted them to see how grateful she was. She waved in that elegant way, delicate hand but strong posture and hard eyes, the years of court and etiquette training pay off. The people cried out louder, frantic, trying to touch her cape. Trying to touch her horse. Trying to get a better glimpse of her.

So Revy smiled wider, the warm feeling of pride filling her chest. No, this was not Micah's heat. This was her own, loving, joyous feeling of pride for her people. From all across the kingdom, they've shaken off the dust of the roads and braved the sea, just to make their way to the capital. Just to see her.

Even the vagrants showed up to see her on the outskirts of the crowd, the poor and the unfortunate. They looked at her with their jaws open and their eyes bright. They pointed at her and gasped when she waved. Their eyes were bright with hope.

"Queen Reverie! Reverie! Queen Reverie!" Revy craned her neck around the people to spot a small child. She was desperately trying to push herself to the front, holding a flower crown and a hastily stitched banner. Her clothes were simple but well-worn, in the loose and thin fabric for the Analidian summer.

"Please! Queen Reverie!" She waved frantically, jumping up and down. The crowd was far too thick and the people too tall. "Queen Reverie! I spent up all night making this!"

Revy chewed on her lip. Surely, it would be alright if she didn't stop...

But since her attention was focused, she began to hear cries with her voice. "Queen Reverie! Queen Reverie!" the child cried. "Please!"

Revy halts. Her guards behind her bump into each other ungracefully.

"Let the child pass," she said, looking to the people.

Zacchaeus, the captain of the guard, murmured loud enough for her to hear in. "Your Majesty?"

"Let the child pass," she repeated louder, clearer.

The crowd looked amongst themselves for a moment. Stunned. And then Revy realized it was because no ruler has ever directly addressed the common folk. When she accompanied her father to oversee different areas of the country, to the southern islands they didn't go to often... He did not speak. No ruler has ever stopped in the middle of their parade to say words to the crowd. In fact, it was mentioned to her in etiquette to to look beyond them, to look to their foreheads or noses so they had the impression that Revy was looking them in the eye.

"Make way for the child," Revy said again. She pointed. "That child."

Once the initial shock wore off, they do. They followed her command that was echoed by several of the guards.

"Make a pathway for the child!" they said, hushing and pushing. Soon enough, there was space, and the child with tears still clinging to her cheeks ran straight towards Revy.

She dismounted her horse.

"Revy?" Micah called. "What are you doing?"

She ignored him as she crouched with opened ams to greet the child. She laughed and falls into Revy's embrace, squealing and still crying.

"It's alright," she shushed as the child wrapped her arms around her neck, sobbing. "What's the matter? Are you alright?"

"T-T-They said you wouldn't—wouldn't want to see me!" she sputtered, crying in that sad, precious way little children did.

"Really?" Revy didn't bother asking for details. "I'm here with you now." She hugged her tighter. "And I am so glad to see you." She was a beautiful child with graceful limbs and lovely, curling hair. Analide features with a hint of another nation's fair skin. Delonae, perhaps?

The crowd was even more shocked, even more confused. Revy could hear them muttering to one another, pointing and bewildered.

"Is that the Queen with a commoner's child?" 

But Revy ignored them. The child slowly pulled away from her, still sniffling. "What's your name?" she said, gently wiping away her tears. Her smile was innocent and filled with wonder.

"I was named after you," she said to her in an excited whisper, eyes so, so, so bright. "My name is Reverie, too!"

"Oh, that's wonderful," she said. And she meant it as her heart warmed and her smile widened. "How old are you?"

"I'm five!" Little Reverie held up her hand.

"That's a lovely age." The crowd was pressing closer, trying to eavesdrop. Zacchaeus held the lines for them without a word.

But Revy ignored it. Ignored it all, even Micah's, Revy, we should go. Because if walking away after this meant having one less child feeling sad, she'd do it. Of course she would.

"Is that for me?" Revy asked.

"Yes," Little Reverie said, giddy. "I spent up all night finding the right flowers." She brought it closer. It was a beautiful flower crown of flowers that were orange and gold and white, strung together sturdily. "Look. It was hard to weave them together, but my mom helped me."

"That's wonderful

"My mom owns a flower shop," she added to the conversation like little children do. Little Reverie had no idea what rankings or societal classes are. She only knew that Revy was a pretty princess turning Queen with the same name as her, and she loved that.

Spontaneously, Revy said, "Put it on me." She inclined her head, and the crowd collectively gasped.

"She is bowing for the child!" "That is the first time I've seen royalty be so kind." "If I made her a flower crown, would she wear it?"

Little Reverie did so with careful and gentle determination. She made sure not to disrupt the jewellery and ornament already there, surprisingly skilled little fingers working quickly. And when she was done, Revy raised her head and grinned. She touched her cheek.

"Thank you. It is a wonderful gift."

Little Reverie was looking at her with absolute awe now, mouth open. She touched Revy's face with little hands, beaming. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you."

Micah cleared his throat loudly now. He had positioned his horse behind the girl, in line of Revy's eyesight. "Father said we should go now."

"Who gives a fuck about what father thinks?"

Little Reverie gasped. "You said a bad word."

"Don't tell them I did," she whispered.

She nodded. "Yes! I won't tell."

"Revy," Micah said again. "We have to go."

Revy rolled her eyes at Micah. "Is that okay?" she asked the child. "I'm sorry I have to go so soon. You and your mother are invited to the feast, and I could find you and talk to you more then."

She gasped. "I knew you'd be the best Queen ever! My mom tells me stories of you. Is it true you go to the villages at night to help people?"

"Yes." She pinched her cheek.

"Let's go, Revy," Micah said, hurried now. "Revy."

"Alright, alright." Revy hugged her again, brief but tight. "See you at the feast," she said. Revy unclasped one of the many pins from her royal sash. "Show this to the guards. They'll let you in."

Micah doesn't wait for a response from the child. "Revy, for Night's sake, get on the horse!"

She did. "Make sure she returns to her mother safely," she instructed a guard. "And make sure no harm comes their way."

"Understood, Your Highness."

And so the parade carried on.

"You can't stop for every child who offers you a flower crown, Revy," Micah said as he takes back his position behind Revy.

"Yes I can." She paused, sat straighter in her saddle. "She was crying."

"Lots of kids cry."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

Micah sighed.

Nothing has changed with the way Revy carried herself or the way she smiled at the crowd. Back straight, chin high, the classic aristocratic pose. But the crowd was becoming more rabid, amazed, shocked.

The atmosphere has changed.

Not necessarily to unsafe, but they were looking at Reverie with something more than respect. They gazed at her with wide eyes, something more than admiration. The yelling has become louder, more prominent, and the air feels charged with electricity. Revy also realized that some have begun using their powers, wind blowing at her gently, the ground her horse walked on became scattered with flowers, and the fountains rose higher. They were looking at her like she was something more than a beautiful young princess parading through the streets. They were looking at her with hope and hunger, their cries have been solidified into one, glorious mantra.

"Queen Reverie! Queen Reverie!"

She didn't know what else they were saying. The frantic, proud yelling of the crowd was difficult for her to decipher.

"What else are they saying?" She turned to Micah, trusting her horse. It did not flinch at the noise and attention, only trudged forward.

Oh.

Her party was looking at her with the same, hungered look the crowd had. Love. They were all looking at her with a ferocious, powerful kind of love. Revy had a chilling feeling that she could gallop towards a cliff and these people would follow.

Micah broke her trance, and said to her in a soft voice, "Listen to that, Revy."

Revy's heart hammered. She looked to the people again, raised her hand. They cried out joyously, their individual powers mingling together. Their flags were waved faster, banners raised higher, and now they threw flowers. She caught as many as she could.

There was a distinct, powerful beat to their mantra. She could feel it in her heart. She could feel it in the steps of her horse. She could feel it with each clapping hands, stomping feet and banging fists. Their voices rang together with power. With hunger. With love.

"Queen Reverie of the masses! Queen Reverie of the masses!"

--

ive decided to make the chapters shorter:000

originallyyy this was supposed to be a whopping 4k word chapter, but then i realized people may have short attention spans hehe. so! here i am! and it's 3:30am where i live rn sheeesh. im so dedicated and in love with story telling right now. sighh

i hope u enjoyed this chapter!! leave a vote and your feedback <33

- yannah:>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 48.4K 61
When May Alana's wish on a star brings a stranger to her remote island home, the pair must survive a deadly magical conflict in order to be together...
122 3 13
It all started thousands of years ago... Three tribes found an island. A safe haven from their enemies and worries. Staying on the island was meant t...
6.3K 171 36
A spoiled elvish princess in love with a lowly soldier. Unfortunately (well, fortunately. But don't tell her that) she will come to realize her life...
18.2K 684 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...