Wolf

By notlittlebirdy

Lieutenant Amelia Irfan is best known as a combat sniper in a special operations unit called Wolf. They are a... More

Introduction - A Day at Work
Chapter 1 - Operation Bayan
Chapter 2 - Operation Belarus
Chapter 3 - Operation Cronos
Chapter 4 - Operation Titan
Chapter 5 - Operation Dawn
Chapter 6 - Operation Lazarus
Chapter 7 - Off Day!
Chapter 9 - A Break After Death
Chapter 10 - Operation Welcome Home Party ( 1 Year Later)
Chapter 11 - Operation Lilith
Chapter 12 Part 1 - Operation Youth
Chapter 12 Part 2: Operation Save Me!
Chapter 13 - Operation Snow Highlands
Chapter 14 - Euphoria
Chapter 15: Batshit Crazy
Chapter 16: Home?
Chapter 17 - Sour Then Sweet
Chapter 18 - The Warring Groups
Chapter 19 - Dionysius
Chapter 20: Operation Die Hard 1
Chapter 20: Operation Die Hard II (Ishikawa Kirishima's POV)
Chapter 21 - Anpanman
Chapter 22 - Operation Newcomer
Chapter 23 - Operation Takeover
Chapter 24 - Operation Kidnapped Businessman
Chapter 25: War Hunting Season Part 1
Chapter 25: War Hunting Season Part 2
Chapter 26: Operation Easkerton Fortress
Chapter 27: Operation Salji Tebal
Chapter 28: Operation Yacht Date
Chapter 29 - Introducing Raikou Akihito
Chapter 30 - Operation: The Final Problem
Epilogue

Chapter 8 - Operation Adam

145 6 1
By notlittlebirdy

A few days later, both Amalina and Markus invited me for dinner over at his place. She had mentioned in the group chat that she had created with that she felt bad for insisting that I went out for the date with Kirishima and so this was her way in seeking forgiveness.

I accepted it because she didn't deserve to wallow in her self-guilt and it's been days since I last saw her. My two-week hiatus is going to be over soon, and I would want to spend another dinner with her before I go for a long overseas mission.

I went home directly after work since Markus' apartment was five minutes away from my place. I had plenty of time to rest and have a change of clothes and I didn't want to bring along my backpack to a dinner.

Wanting to refresh myself, I took a quick hot shower washing away the day's grime. I pulled on a teal turtle neck sweater over a thick black hoodie and a pale blue fleece coat over everything else. On my legs was a pair of black jeans and my usual boots. Grabbing my phone, I left the apartment and made my way down to Markus' apartment.

It was a thirteen floor building situated on 13th Street, nestled between a grocery mart and a private tuition centre. I crossed the street and went to find the lift lobby, tucked away at the corner.

Buzzing for the apartment, the front gate was buzzed open from the inside and I was able to enter the private lobby to take the elevator up to the ninth floor.

I was impressed by the security. I wonder if I could afford this type of building.

Arriving at the fifth apartment, I rang the bell and took a step back, admiring the quiet corridor.

The door swung open to reveal a beaming Amalina and she brought me into a hug before the both of us could say anything. I was taken aback by the hug but I returned the embrace, squeezing her tightly to me.

She raised her head to look at me. "Are you okay now?" she asked hopefully, thinking that her hug works wonders on me.

I laughed. "Yes."

"Yay! Let's eat!" she exclaimed as she began pulling me into the apartment. "We've made a large amount today!"

I took off my coat and my boots before entering the apartment.

It was very spacious and I liked how Markus has decorated the place. It screamed of a student nonetheless but it was decent-looking. It was fully furnished and had everything that a student could live with. Amalina could live in here if she wishes so, I mused thoughtfully as I looked around.

"Over here, Amy!" she insisted as she directed me to the dining table, where the food was already spread out and a smiling Markus sat waiting.

"We cooked this all ourselves," Amalina said proudly. "Markus is a very good cook."

I smiled. "Let's dig in."

Amalina and Markus had cooked a scrumptious spread - mostly it was our favourite foods during our childhood. It was a fond memory of mine, our mother used to cook this for us whenever we had extra cash. I couldn't stop the smile from spreading on my face as I began to dig in, knowing that my little sister has gone out of her way to make me happy. 

However, the amicable conversation was cut short abruptly when we heard the unmistakable sound of the fire alarm ringing shrilly in the distance. Both Amalina and Markus paid no heed to the alarm but I shot up from the chair to open the front door to investigate.

It comes with the job.

"Amy!"

Ignoring her plea, I ran barefooted down the corridor and stopped short when the door to my left burst open from the fire explosion. Yelling as I took cover, I watched as the door crumpled like a piece of paper as it slammed against the opposite wall and black smoke billowed out from the apartment - forcing me to make a hasty retreat back to Markus' apartment.

"Get me some wet towels!" I instructed as I slammed the door shut. "The next door apartment has burst into flames and it's spreading rapidly. Smoke will enter this flat soon."

Both Amalina and Markus worked with no more questions asked. Stuffing wet towels between the cracks of the front door, we took more wet towels and retreated to the bathroom. With the cracks of that door all sealed up, I got the face towels wet and told them to wrap around their nose and mouth.

I pulled out my phone and dialled the emergency number. "This is Lieutenant Amelia of BT-34, we have an emergency over here," I said as soon as the line clicked through. "Fire has exploded on the ninth floor of a thirteen floor housing apartment on 13th Street. Smoke has spread to the neighbouring apartments."

"Roger that Lieutenant! This is Sergeant Michael Lewis of the 43rd Regiment," the voice answered. "We have sent our men to the location."

"Please hurry."

"Roger!"

I kept my phone in my pocket and glanced at the other two civilians who were looking at me rather expectantly. "Keep low," I said as I indicated for them to sit down. "Smoke will enter through the cracks and it will float upwards. It'll be very hot but you need to keep it together okay."

They nodded firmly.

"Any more towels?" I asked.

"Below the sink."

I took out two more bath towels from the cabinet below the sink and soaked them through, draping them across Markus and Amalina before I instructed them to keep as far away from the door as possible. I took the remaining towel, wet it and tied it around my face - keeping my nose and mouth covered firmly as we braced for the fire to come.

The problem with mid floor fire is the possibility of people being trapped on the said floor and the floors above. The layout of the building was crappy and there was only one way out - as far as I noticed. I could feel myself getting annoyed at the fire safety and wondered if I should pummel the owner later.

The towels on the toilet door began to blacken and I knew the fire had spread into the apartment. Telling them to back up, I held Amalina's hand as we braced for the plume of smoke to engulf us whole.

"How long do you think the door could hold?" Markus asked quietly.

"Shit." I have assumed the door could hold for an hour.

My mobile phone rang just as thick, black smoke entered the bathroom through the gaps between the blackened towel and the door leaf, and it rolled in like a wave engulfing us in eternal blackness. I could hear a whimper from Amalina so I tightened my grip on her - trying to calm her down. 

"Keep low!" I instructed. "Do not panic on me."

I picked up the call. "Lieutenant Amelia, where are you?" Sergeant Michael exclaimed. "My firefighters are on the ninth floor and they're searching for survivors."

"We're in Apartment 5, in the bathroom!" I exclaimed.

"Roger that! Hold on!"

Within minutes after the call was terminated, the front door was slammed open and I could hear a couple of heavy footfalls shuffling towards us before the bathroom door slammed open.

Three firefighters emerged from the plume of smoke and motioned for us to come with them. I got Markus and Amalina to crawl out of the bathroom first, keeping them huddled together as we left the apartment. It was a harrowing escape, passing by the apartment that was currently being extinguished by fearless firefighters and we managed to get to the stairs with no incident.

Two of them broke off to search for more survivors, and we climbed all the way down to the ground floor where the rest of the residents were seen hanging about looking rather worried at the state of their residential flat. There were many fire engines parked around and plenty of ambulances to treat the residents.

"Let's go to an ambulance and get you two checked," I said as I held Amalina's hand and guided them to the nearest ambulance.

As the medic checked their vitals and got them to breathe in oxygen as they coughed out the smoke that they had breathed in, I looked at my sister and tucked her hair into her ear as I held her face.

I could've lost her if I wasn't with them tonight, I realised suddenly.

That single thought jarred me and I looked away hastily as my vision began to blur from tears. Amalina must've noticed it and grabbed my hand in hers, squeezing it tightly.

She's the one keeping me sane.

I can't lose her.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped themselves around me and I've realised that Markus has thrown himself at me as he burst into hysterical tears - mumbling at how terrified he was. Patting his head, I soothes his worries and extended a hand to my sister who joined in the hug as well.

I had to deal with two kids crying their hearts out.

"We're safe now, that's all that matters," I said softly.

As I dealing with crying teens, my handphone rang and I picked it up. "Amelia! Where are you? Are you okay?" Lucas voice could be heard screaming. "We just saw on the news that the apartment building has caught fire! Isn't that the one you're going to tonight?"

The boys have called me, using Lucas' phone and put on speaker so everyone could hear.

"Oh yeah we're fine," I said. "We managed to barricade ourselves in the bathroom in time."

"Oh thank God!" Keith exclaimed.

"Do you need a pick up?"

"Yeah! That's a good idea! We'll drive down and get you!"

"Wait there's no need -"

The call ended before I could finish my sentence and I had to shake my head as I pocketed my phone. The couple has stopped crying now but Amalina was still holding onto me like a koala bear.

"My boys are on their way to pick us up. I think both of you should stay with me for awhile," I said. "How about that?"

Both kids just nodded without raising their heads. Chuckling at them, I kept them close.

Ten minutes later, I could hear them from a mile away before I saw the group of boys heading their way towards us. I grew sour when I noticed Tom was amongst the gang and I wondered why he bothered to come anyway.

"Amelia!"

"Over here!"

"Is that your boyfriend, Amalina?" Keith cried as he pried the poor boy off me. "Why didn't you introduce him to us?"

"Stop that, brother!" Amalina exclaimed as she left my side to bring back her boyfriend before he got pulled in to the rest of the group. "Don't bully him!"

"Stop embarrassing me, boys," I pointed out. "Let's go."

"I hope you applied for fire insurance, kid," Marcus pointed out as we piled into two four-wheelers and headed back to my apartment.

"Are you seriously going to bunk in my apartment?" I asked flatly. "There's no space to fit all of you!"

"The more the merrier!"

"Eh, get some beer from the nearby store."

"Get some food too! I don't think they got time to eat."

As the rookies broke off to get the drinks and food from the nearby convenience store, we were herded up to my apartment by the rest of the boys and they were insistent to keep us all company through the night.

As soon as the door was unlocked, they filed in noisily and made themselves home. Some began to be nosy as they looked around my apartment while others headed straight to the television to watch some shows. I brought Amalina and Markus to my bedroom, where I passed them a set of clothes each.

Telling them to take a shower and take the time to calm down, I left them alone and headed out to the living room to see the chaos that had unfolded. I tried not to let out a groan at the sheer amount of people – it has been ages since I had company over.

"Wow it's been months since I visited," Lucas commented as he appraised my kitchen. "But your apartment is so spacious for one person."

"Are you still living alone?" Keith asked slyly.

"Yes, shut up."

"Why?"

"What are you talking about?" I asked on confusion. "There's only one bedroom!"

"A single bedroom isn't going to stop anybody," he pointed out.

"Please stop talking."

Both men chuckled at their mean jokes and they began to amuse themselves so I left them with their own devices. I went to the living room and hunkered down on the sofa, seeing Marcus flipping through the channels to find a suitable show to watch while Tom looked uncomfortable by the side.

"Why are you here?" I asked flatly. "I'm sure there's the bitch waiting for you back at home."

"I was concerned about your well-being as well as your sister's," he replied, as he looked increasingly uncomfortable.

"You don't need to," I said as I kept my eyes glued on the television screen. "I thought I told you that you're not allowed in my house anymore."

Tom got up without more words exchanged and Marcus was smart enough not to ask questions. I didn't need a reason to explain as to why I didn't want Tom to be in my damn house. As he left, the rookies entered carrying beer and the food they had bought so we had a little party at the living room.

After Markus and Amalina was done washing up and joined the rest at the living room where the life of the party was, I retreated to my bedroom so I could take a shower and wash off the dirt, smoke and grime. I locked the door behind me as I headed to the bathroom.

My phone was left forgotten on the bed and I picked it up to see a call from you-know-who.

I picked it up.

"Oh thank God! Where are you?" he asked immediately.

"I'm at home," I answered quizzically. "Is something the matter?"

"Are you okay?" he demanded. "I saw the news."

"Yeah," I said and paused. "Were you fucking stalking me?"

He hesitated. "...No."

I sighed. "Stop doing that."

"Stop doing what?"

"Stop stalking me! I know you have planted a bug on me, where is it?" I exclaimed, my voice rising in anger. "It's annoying!"

"I didn't plant any bug on you."

"Then how did you know I was in that building?" I demanded flatly. "Did you have someone tail me instead? What's wrong with you? Are you scared that I'll disappear from the face of the earth?"

"I'm terrified that one of my enemies finds out about you and kidnaps you just to torment me," he explained quietly. "I'm scared for you, Amelia."

His statement made me deflate from the anger that's been building up. "Okay."

"So you're okay with it?" He sounded happy for some reason. "He's a professional so you wouldn't even know he's around."

"Is he tailing me even when I'm going on overseas missions?" I asked flatly.

"Not really, unless you're visiting the cities that we have businesses at," he explained. "I don't think they know about you yet but I just wanted to be sure."

I sighed. "Whatever makes you at ease, Kirishima," I said. "I'm hanging up. Goodnight."

"Okay goodnight!"

I sighed again. He's going to be the death of me.

.

"Keep it down, ya bunch of aunties!" I yelled over the comms. "I can't bloody hear myself think over your goddamn noises!"

At once, the squabbling over the comms quieten down almost immediately. Lucas was having a violent quarrel with the rookies and it was hard to concentrate on the job when I can hear them yapping in my ear.

It was ridiculous.

"Sorry sister," Lucas quipped after a few seconds of silence.

"Be serious! We're at work here!"

"I am serious!"

"Shut up! The both of you!" Frank yelled, his rough voice snapping us into reality. "You don't need to continue! Focus!"

"Yes sir!"

Something was not right the moment we got the green light to join tonight's operation.

The two week ban has finally lifted.

Our operation was to infiltrate a prestigious primary school which has been taken over by insurgents just after lunch. Reports were given that they had stormed the school during a special event whereby an elected Member of Parliament (MP) was visiting the school alongside the student's parents.

The MP was giving a grand speech regarding the special event and to encourage the students to focus and excel on their studies when gunshots were heard as the insurgents stormed the school gates. All hell obviously broke loose, and the entire student cohort including the teachers, parents, and the MP were held hostage in their school hall.

Once they had secured the school, they had spread out about a kilometre radius and shot down any of the local police enforcers that had tried to approach the area. Even when they had tried to contact the leader, they were only given a sentence.

"To release Charles Addams in return of the lives of the hostages."

There was no ransom given.

Charles Addams was a famed terrorist that we caught red-handed years ago for attempting to bomb a school and currently being held behind bars for his crimes. To think that we were to release the criminal was beyond what anybody could even believe.

Thus why, after much deliberation, discussion and argument between the higher management, we were called in as a last resort.

We were the last castle.

The sun was setting when we were filing into the Terrex. Captain Frank had opened up the map and gave the orders for each of us to execute once we arrived. We were broken up into three teams each – I was on my own as per usual.

Team 1: Frank, Keith, Lucas and Tom were to storm the front of the school hall.

Team 2: Marcus and Wesley were to secure the East area, providing back up for me.

Team 3: Benjamin, Blake and Quinn were to storm the back gates and provide backup to Team 1.

"Reports from Intel is scarce, so we don't know how many tangos are inside the assembly hall," he started to explain. "Team 1 will head into the school and take the West stairs here, and towards the stage while Team 2 will take the South staircase at the back. And maintain position."

"Are we to give them what they want?" Blake asked.

"Don't be daft, boy!"

"Wolf never bargains, kiddo."

"However, we will only move once we have eyes on them, is that clear?"

"Yes sir!"

The Terrex dropped us off at the side gate where the local police enforcers have set up their vehicles and ambulances. We filed out from the armoured vehicle and huddled around on the ground while Frank went to speak to the person-in-charge.

I took a good long look at the map and tried to locate the best place for a good hiding spot. The surrounding areas were filled with high-rise buildings at the North, North West and East side and the school was facing the reservoir at the South.

"East would be a good spot, don't you think?" Keith asked.

I nodded in agreement as I screwed the suppressor on my sniper rifle. "I'd head to this roost," I said as I pointed on the map with a gloved finger. "Third floor will be a good spot."

Frank joined us in the group. "The local enforcers said that they are unable to contact the insurgents to negotiate their demands," he said. "The situation had gotten grim. It's already been seven hours since they've taken siege of the school. We need to settle this immediately."

We pulled on our masks – covering our faces as we looked at Frank. We were all burning with the desire to succeed, and to save the hostages from the clutches of the enemy.

"What do we do, Wolf?"

"No mistakes!"

We broke off from there. Marcus, Wesley and I ran down the remaining length of the linkway and exited the school, taking a sharp left to the neighbouring buildings on the East. The local enforcers may have released an emergency evacuation for the citizens living around here but we may never know who might be lingering.

The building that was situated on the East were residential, twenty-five stories and a kilometre away from the school. We stormed up the staircase and ran up to the third floor, running along the deserted corridor while ensuring that we were the only ones there.

Stopping at the apartment unit that will give me a good spot, we hovered at the front door and once we were ready, Marcus broke the door down with a good kick. We weren't expecting anyone inside, but we wanted to be extra sure just in case.

I headed towards one of the East-facing rooms and noticed it was a boy's room with all the wallpapers stuck on the walls. He must love baseball, I mused as I pushed aside the curtain a little to see where we were. There was something wrong with the assembly hall, so I got my binoculars out to double check.

"Frank."

"...."

"Frank!"

"What!"

"I got no eyes on them boss."

"What? Why?"

"They have the hall closed."

"Repeat that, Amelia."

"I repeat they have the roller shutters closed. I do not have a clear shot nor eyes on the hostages," I replied. "I am blocked."

I began to re-arrange the room and opened the window a crack so I can shoot without smashing the glass window.

"Roger that Amelia, we will find another way to make them open up."

I made myself comfortable on a study table I had dragged across to the back of the room and propped the rifle against the ammunitions bag. Using the binoculars, I checked the distance to the assembly hall. Reaffirming that I was 1.5km away from the school hall, I put the binoculars down.

"You can't physically force it up," I pointed out. "Any attempt to lift the roller shutter will cause it to wedge at the guides. The greater the upward lifting force applied, the tighter the wedge."

I had Marcus and Wesley covering my six and I had plenty of cover from the front. This was the best spot that I could get at this situation.

"Then what should we do?"

"You have to open it from the inside," I pointed out.

"Great."

"The insurgents are very clever."

"They've planned ahead, boss."

I looked through the scope, and scanned the area for targets to shoot at. "Two tangos at the South and East side of the assembly hall," I reported as I took them out easily. "Clear."

This school's assembly hall was situated on the second floor above the canteen. I watched as Team 2 come up the back stairs and maintained their position, spreading about to cover all the areas including the set of stairs that will lead them up to the third floor.

"Team 2, wait for Lucas and Tom," Frank radioed. "They will take point."

"Roger that."

"Remember, they have four exit doors on the third floor in between the AV room," Frank spoke. "Enter it with caution as it will make a lot of noise. Team 1 and I will attempt to enter via the stage doors. Team 2, standby and keep a look out."

"Yes sir!"

The third floor was an extra floor created in case there weren't any space for the student cohort to sit during their assembly time. It was typically for the older students to sit and stretch their legs. However, the third floor was made up of thick walls and slated windows so I had no eyes on it too.

"Keep your eyes peeled."

"Stay focused."

I lost sight of them so I kept watch of the hall, waiting patiently.

"Entering the third floor."

"Stand-by."

Honestly, I hated missions like this. I hated not being able to have eyes on my team especially whenever they needed my help. There was no advantage here for me. It was tough to go in blind but there was little choice but to adapt to the situation at hand and trust that they are able to get out of there fine.

We all waited with bated breath.

Minutes ticked by with no sound over the radio comms and it irked me some. I was so used to hearing them yelling gibberish sentences, swearing in all sorts of colourful words and talking shit to the rookies that the silence was deafening to me.

"Frank, we got 8 tangos inside the hall with the hostages," Lucas whispered. "Two on each side of the hall armed with AK-47s. No RPGs, or any explosives strapped."

"Are you able to take a shot?" he asked.

"We can cover all corners except for the South," he replied.

"Roger that, we will cover the remaining areas," Frank murmured. "On my signal."

"Entering."

As Frank and Keith attempt to enter via the stage doors on the second floor and Lucas and Tom via the back doors on the third floor, a commotion could be heard in the radio comms as the ground team by the driveway attempted to patch their way into our channel.

"Wolf, this is Lieutenant Hansel Wright of the Police Department," a manly voice spoke into the comms. "We are taking heavy fire. I repeat we are taking heavy fire."

"Lieutenant Wright, provide a location of the enemy," I spoke.

"It's a sniper," he replied testily. He cursed as he yelled orders to his team members. "He's due west."

In the background, I heard the tell-tale signs of bullets ricocheting and I kept my gaze on the assembly hall, panning from the second floor to the third floor in rapid motion – attempting to see and search for targets that might've slipped out unnoticed.

The lieutenant is making me annoyed.

"Do a goddamn sweep of the buildings to the west. You can't expect me to take him out without knowing his location," I pointed out. "Didn't your team flush out the enemies within the two radius?"

"But –"

"We are not your personal bodyguards, Lieutenant Wright," I interrupted flatly. My focus was on my team members right now. I do not work for the Police Department. "Marcus!"

"On it, Amelia."

With Marcus' intervention, the lieutenant was kicked off our channel so we could focus on the mission ahead. As I kept my eyes on the assembly hall, the roller shutters were opened from the inside on all three corners and the boys stepped out from the hall.

Smiling at the success of the mission, I got up from my position and joined Quinn and Marcus at the living room. We were exchanging grins and attempting to return to the school's driveway when our worst nightmare finally screamed in our ears.

"Medic! Medic!"

"We need a medic!"

"Frank?"

"It's Keith. He's down."

Marcus and I exchanged sharp glances – fear apparent in our eyes. My heart lodged in my throat and I was fearful of the outcome. Swallowing down the inevitable, I tried to keep calm. Together, we left the apartment and made our way back to the school in full force.

By the time we've reached, an ambulance has arrived at the driveway and our boys were milling around it. It was chaos there. They looked ashen and seeing that, I was scared to take another step closer. When Frank saw me reaching, he beckoned me closer and I took my position next to him despite my intense desire to flee.

I did not wish to see what was before me.

I was too scared.

Keith was on the stretcher – unmoving.

"He's gone, Amelia," Frank said softly as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "He took a bullet for a child. He died a martyr."

The information was received numbly, I just nodded blankly because I knew it was something that he would do. It was so Keith that I couldn't deny it. I had to accept it but it was hard to see him unresponsive and knowing that he was gone made the tears come.

Crying, I glanced to the left to see Lucas on his knees – his face was stricken with grief and had to be held down by Tom.

I couldn't remember what happened after that but I vaguely remembered being pulled by Quinn into the Terrex as we headed back to the HQ. Our morale were low and we couldn't look at each other as we filed back to our office. The death of a comrade was bittersweet and it leaves a gaping hole in all our hearts.

All the reports and debriefing were held off temporarily as we organised his funeral.

The death of Keith hit me hard as he was my mentor during my rookie days. He was the one who gave me the motivation to be the best that I could be, and he was the one who warned Lucas off of me. Keith was like a father figure to me, a role model and losing him was the worst thing that I could possibly bear.

To Lucas and Tom, Keith was their childhood friend. They did all sorts of nonsensical things together. His loss was even more significant to Lucas as he was the one who aided him when his marriage was in shambles and gave him a place to stay when he got nowhere else to go.

Sergeant Keith Cornell left behind a widow and a ten year old son.

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

429 61 33
When the Vesperian Empire invaded Taurrika, Taurran patriot and sniper Ohlya Zivinyas answered the call. For four long years, she and her valiant cou...
4.7K 138 14
She's the emotionless, scarred sniper. The only one in the base, the best with the dangerous weapon. He's a scarred, tatted lieutenant. The men f...
318 7 9
Get up. Gear on. Load out. At this point in her life, Petty Officer Eden Castillo-Summers had it down to which boot she ties first. After 4 years of...