Love in Reality

By AndreaGStewart

David Verdin is the CEO of a company that sells as-seen-on-TV products. He wishes he were sitting on a pile o... More

A Demonstration and Proposition
A Bet is Made
An Uncomfortable Audition
An Unexpected Contestant
A Bargain is Struck
The Dating Begins
A Sleepy Confession
The Worst Date Ever and a Choice
The Interviews
The Aftermath
A Confrontation
All's Well That Ends Well

A Bump in the Road

16 1 2
By AndreaGStewart

EXT. FRONT OF THE COMIC BOOK SHOP – EARLY EVENING

Three months later. It’s late spring and still light outside. One person enters the shop, then two more. We see a sign on the door that has Claire’s picture on it. It says, “Watch The Man of Your Dreams with one of the contestants! Thursdays at 7PM”

INT. COMIC BOOK SHOP – EARLY EVENING

It’s crowded inside the comic book shop. A television on a wheeled cart sits in the back corner, folding chairs set up in front of it. All of the chairs are full, and some people sit on the floor. Claire is front and center, Jesse next to her, JESSE’S WIFE next to him. Ian is at the counter, ringing up a couple of purchases. Business is good.

JESSE
So, moment of truth. Did you actually win this thing? 

Claire, tight-lipped, only smiles.

JESSE
Huh. Guess I’ll have to wait another hour to find out.

JESSE’S WIFE
It reminds me of when we met.  

Jesse takes her hand and they gaze adoringly at each other.

JESSE
Reminds me of that too, my little Tribble.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I thought you two met at a science fiction convention?

JESSE
Yeah. But we were from two different sides of the tracks, just like you and David. I was a Star Wars fan...  

JESSE’S WIFE
...and I loved Star Trek.

JESSE
So of course, I hated her at first, and everything she represented.

JESSE’S WIFE
And I couldn’t stand him. Star Wars isn’t even science fiction, it’s science fantasy.

JESSE
But there was something about her. When we’d exhausted all our arguments, I realized that I’d seen her at her worst – because, babe, you’re a real troll when defending Star Trek – and I still liked her.

JESSE’S WIFE
So we made it work.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
That’s actually a really sweet story.

A woman, ELLA, sitting a row behind, taps Claire on the shoulder. Claire turns around. Ella extends her hand.

ELLA
Hi, my name’s Ella. I’m on the school board for the Hamilton Unified School District. I saw one of your earlier episodes, where you were talking about starting a charity? I thought I’d come down and meet you.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Hi, Ella. I was actually hoping to get something started in the next month or so.

ELLA
I liked your reasoning. Here’s my card. 

She hands Claire her business card.

 ELLA (CONT’D)
Give me a call when you get the ball rolling.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Sure, I’ll do that! Thanks!

Someone makes a hushing sound. The show is starting.

JOHN
And now, the finale you’ve all been waiting for. The episode with the most dramatic heart ritual, ever. Let’s take a look at our last heart ritual. 

On the screen, it shows David with two heart doilies. Tessa, Claire, and Hayley wait.

DAVID VERDIN
Claire. 

Claire walks towards him. David smiles, and scratches his neck.

DAVID VERDIN
Tessa.

Tessa walks towards him. When it cuts back to David, he smiles in the same way and scratches his neck in the exact same place. Nelson's miracles at work. Hayley storms off in tears.

HAYLEY
You're just like my ex!

JOHN
And now, our final two ladies have their romantic one-on-one dates.

INT. COMIC BOOK SHOP – LATER

Everyone's watching the television, having a good time. Even Ian, standing in the back. On the television, David and Tessa are finishing their one-on-one date.

JESSE
Fancy hotel suite. I wonder what they do in there?

Claire gives him a LOOK.

JESSE
Just curious is all.

On the television, the door closes on Tessa and David. But instead of cutting to the next day, the television show cuts to a view of the hotel room from far away. The bedside light is on in the hotel room, lighting it up like a stage.

JESSE
Score! They filmed from another building. Those sneaky bastards. Should have closed the curtains, guys.

Claire is too distracted to say anything. She watches the screen intently. There's no sound. David falls onto the bed, turns over. Tessa sits on the edge of the bed, then starts to crawl up over David. She leans over and kisses him. From this distance and angle we can't tell that David is asleep. Tessa leans over and turns off the light. It looks bad. While everyone else is just enjoying a television show, Claire looks like she's swallowed something unpleasant.

INT. COMIC BOOK SHOP – LATER

Everyone, except Claire, has expressions on their faces like kids opening Christmas presents. Claire is frozen to the spot. On screen, David is proposing to her.

DAVID VERDIN
Marry me.
(beat)
It's an antique.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Yes.

Everyone except Claire jumps to their feet, celebrating like their home team just won the game. Claire doesn't move. Ella taps her on the shoulder again.

ELLA
Congratulations! When's the wedding? 

Claire comes out of her trance.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I'm sorry I...I need to get some air.

She gets up and EXITS the store.

EXT. FRONT OF COMIC BOOK SHOP – NIGHT

Claire pulls out her phone and dials David's number.

DAVID VERDIN (V.O.)
Hello?

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Did you see the last episode?

CUT TO:

INT. DAVID'S OFFICE – DAY

David's at his computer, sheets of paper laid out on his desk. They're covered in drawings and notes for new ideas.

DAVID VERDIN
No, not yet. I'm three hours behind you. I'm still at work. I've got it on my calendar though. Was it good?

Claire doesn't answer.

DAVID VERDIN
Hey, is something wrong?  

CUT BACK TO:

EXT. FRONT OF THE COMIC BOOK SHOP – NIGHT

Behind Claire, Jesse exits the comic book shop. She doesn't see him and he doesn't say anything.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
This is stupid, probably even a little crazy. I don't know why I'm upset with you. This was just a show, it wasn't even real. You can do what you want.

DAVID VERDIN (V.O.)
Slow down. What do you mean?

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Did you sleep with Tessa?

There's a long beat, long enough that Claire already knows something's wrong by the time he answers.

DAVID VERDIN (V.O.)
I don't know.

Another beat as Claire absorbs this.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
You don't know? You don't know? You know what I know? I don't have time for this.

She hangs up the phone and then starts to cry. Jesse comes over and gives her a hug.

JESSE
I'm sorry, Claire.

Claire cries for a moment, then pulls back and wipes away her tears.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
No, it's ok. I'm ok. It wasn't real anyway.

INT. COMIC BOOK SHOP – DAY

Claire is at the counter. She's clearly not ok. She's ringing up a customer without even bothering with the customary charity spiel. The customer takes their purchase and walks out the door.

IAN (O.S.)
Hey Claire! Claire, get over here!

Claire doesn't even sigh this time. She just walks over to the front shelves.

IAN
What the hell is Fantastic Four doing up on my front shelves?

He PEERS closer at it.

IAN (CONT'D)
This ain't even the latest issue. You know what belongs up on my front shelves?

He WIGGLES a LADY LEOPARD COMIC in front of Claire's eyes. Something in Claire just seems to SNAP. She goes from sad and dejected to steaming mad in the blink of an eye. Ian doesn't appear to notice.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Lady Leopard.

IAN
Yeah, yeah, that's right. My Lady Leopard.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Lady Leopard is a whore.

IAN
Huh?

Claire SEIZES the Lady Leopard comic from Ian's hands. She flips it around and OPENS to a page. Lady Leopard is standing on the page, her already skimpy costume partially shredded. One strap of the top part of her costume is sliding off. She's in a sexy pose, with a gun held in one hand, though she hardly looks like she knows how to use it.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
In this issue, she defeats Dr. Mortalis by sleeping with him. In another issue the bad guys don’t fight because they’re too busy staring at her heaving bosom. She's not a superhero, Ian. She's just a girl who holds a gun and sleeps around. 

Ian starts to HEAVE DEEP BREATHS.

IAN
Now...now don't you...don't you talk to me like that.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
The only reason guys buy her comics is because they're too chicken-shit to go and buy real porn.

IAN
Now...that's just not true.

Claire SLAPS Lady Leopard back into Ian's hands.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Fantastic Four stays.

Ian trembles, hastily wipes away tears.

IAN
O...ok. Fine.

Claire is on a mission. She walks towards the door. Before she reaches it, Jesse walks in.

JESSE
(trailing off)
Hey, I just came by to say goodbye before you head to L.A. for your first inter...

He sees Claire's expression, and Ian in the background wiping at his face.

JESSE
Whoa. Are you all right?

Claire doesn't say anything. She just goes to the cash register, grabs the Hero Bear, and puts it into Jesse’s hand.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
You win.

She EXITS the comic shop, leaving Jesse to stand there in shock.

  -----

LOVE IN REALITY is a completed screenplay I wrote a while back.  I always wondered how much of a reality show is staged--including the messy breakups at the end.  I'll be posting updates every Tuesday and Friday.  Please click the star in the upper right to favorite if you enjoyed this! 

You can follow me on twitter @AndreaGStewart, find me on facebook, or visit my webpage at http://www.andreagstewart.com.  I have several projects in the works, and some of my pieces are available or will be available in various online or paper publications.

And feel free to drop me a line!  I love to talk shop!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.5K 3.3K 41
There are things you need to know about Ally aka Allison Hart : 1) She's a hotshot lawyer with a hundred percent win record. 2) She must get marrie...
18.7K 398 23
Hitting it big in Hollywood isn't what it seems. When Adrianna arrives in Hollywood to start her new life, she has one goal in mind - to become a sta...
589K 17.9K 37
"Cornelia, let's make a deal. You will be my fake girlfriend for 3 months. And I will pay you 30 million dollars for your service, how is that?" "I r...
18 0 3
Leaving her well-planned life behind in Manhattan, New York, twenty-four year old Heart Noel chases her dream on becoming a big-time event planner in...