THE TEKULA PROJECT

بواسطة TheAllieL

(COMPLETED | UNDER EDITING) Fresh out of college, Veronica Odair is hired as a forensic scientist at the infa... المزيد

001
002
003
▪3▪ (OLD VERSION)
▪4▪
▪5▪
▪6▪
▪7▪
▪8▪
▪9▪
▪10▪
▪11▪
▪13▪
▪14▪
▪15▪
▪16▪
▪17▪
▪18▪
▪19▪
▪20▪
EPILOGUE
SEQUEL

▪12▪

81.3K 3.7K 790
بواسطة TheAllieL

DAY 36
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 5
12:34 PM

"Sir, you can't be serious! This is my life we are talking about!" I say, throwing my hands in the air, causing Dr. Vanderwall to stop mid-stride and turn towards me.

His lips twist up in a snarl as he speaks. "Do you wish for your precious lycan to die, then? The thing will die without you there, so it is our utmost concern to make sure that doesn't happen! You will be residing in the lab permanently, and that is final," he says, leaving me standing alone in the hallway as he stalks back to the elevator.

He is right, though. I don't want Theseus to suffer at my hands, but living here? I feel like I, myself, am now an experiment. In essance, I am. What with my strange connection to the beast, I am now being observed just as much as he is. This unlawful and against my fundamental human rights as a person, but what about Theseus?

▪▪▪

DAY 39
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 5

It has been over a week since I moved into the lab. And what a week it has been. My mother freaked when I told her I was moving into B.E.A.R. Labs. She thought I was going to end up as some lab rat--that they were going to perform harmful experiments on me and she would never see me again. It's funny how close to the truth she actually is. For obvious reasons, I was not allowed to tell my family of the nature of my new home. Thankfully, I am allowed 5 hours outside of the facility every day. Though I must be on call for emergencies at all times.

Theseus' old cell and the observation room have been repaired, now serving as our separate living quarters. There is a bathroom as well as a bedroom of sorts on Level 4 that I have been using as my own personal apartment. Granted, I spend most of my nights in the room next to Theseus'. He sleeps better when he can see me.

I am currently sitting on the small cot that faces the glass wall separating me from Theseus. This just so happens to be one of the nights he can't sleep. He is allowed to request my presence at any time--a benefit he has hastily taken advantage of.

Theseus watches as I sit cross-legged on the cot, clad in a pair of capri leggings and an oversized T-shirt. I was just getting ready for bed when one of the guards told me Theseus wanted to see me. Hence my underdressed appearance.

"Why not here?" He asks, gesturing to his room on the other side of the glass.

I sigh sleepily. "I can go in there, but when it's time to sleep, I have to come back in here." I rub my eyes and brush away a stray strand of hair that slipped from my loose bun.

He frowns. "O-okay."

I sluggishly exit my room and enter his. Theseus sits on his bed, his back against the wall with his legs splayed out in front of him. I slump down beside him, not really sure what it is he wants me to do. Normally, he asks me questions, like, once he asked me if I had any siblings. Another time he asked me how the lights worked. Apparently there was no such thing as electricity last time he checked. Today, however, he is quiet. An awkward silence settles around us.

"Can Mate s-sing?" He whispers, breaking the silence.

I bark out a laugh at his silly question. "Me? Sing? Bah! I am a terrible singer." He opens his mouth to object but I cut him off. "No. Unless you want your ears to bleed, you don't want me to sing."

"B-but I like Mate's voi-voice," he says solemnly.

"Sorry, bud, but I don't want to embarrass myself," I say, bumping his shoulder with mine to cheer him up. He just continues to sulk. Maybe this is important to him? His downcast mood weighs on my conscious.

"When was the last time you listened to music?" I ask suddenly.

He looks thoughtful for a moment before answering: "After war with N-North?"

"Wait. You don't mean the Civil War, do you?" I ask astonished. My eyebrows raise, prodding him to answer my question.

He shrugs.

Did this guy fight in the Civil War? I will ask many, many questions later. For the time being, I push those thoughts aside, choosing to continue with my plan.

"Wait here a moment, okay? I will be back in a minute," I say, already standing up. I head out the door before he even has a chance to protest.

I hurriedly rush up to Level 4 and open the doors to my mini apartment. After searching for a moment, I hold up the desired object with a triumphant grin. I make my way back down to Theseus' cell, my smile never leaving.

I open the door and Theseus stands at my entry, a worried expression on his face. "I brought you something!" I say happily. "Just don't tell anyone."

His worried look instantly changes to one of excitement. He follows me as I sit down on his bed. He watches me, perplexed. "What is th-that," he says, gesturing to the foreign object I hold in my grasp.

"This is a cell phone," I respond, showing him my iPhone. "I can call people on it. I can play games--all sorts of stuff...that you probably wouldn't understand...Right now we are going to listen to music."

"Mu-music?" He asks. I nod with a mischievous grin on my face. I open my playlist and plug in my earbuds.

"Okay, pick a song." I hold out the phone and show him how to work the touchscreen--something he finds utterly fascinating. He scrolls down before picking one of my favorites. "This song was really popular when I was in my senior year of high school," I say while wiggling the earbuds into his ears.

I press play on Paradise by Coldplay and he smiles as the orchestral intro starts. The intro probably isn't that far off from what he is used to. I stifle a giggle when his eyes widen comically, the main theme probably just started.

By the end of the song he is smiling broadly at me. "Did you like it?" I ask as I remove the earbuds.

"Yes," he says genuinely. "Again?"

I chuckle. "How about a different one? There are plenty on here," respond, already picking out a new one.

"How it w-work?" He asks, taking the phone from my grasp.

"How does what work?" He takes the phone and turns it in all directions, looking into all the little buttons and holes along the edges. "Do you mean how does it play music?" I ask him. He nods distractedly.

"Well, I'm not sure, really. I know it sends some kind of electrical current through the cord and into the earbuds that are basically tiny speakers," I say. He should understand that. I have already explained to him what electricity is.

"Huh," is all he says, picking a new song.

▪▪▪

After the third song, I just set my playlist on shuffle. He would tell me how much he liked each song. Apparently he is a huge fan of the Eagles.

Theseus' head is in my lap, his eyes closed. I gently nudge him, seeing if he is awake. No response. "Theseus, wake up. I have to go now," I say. The clock on my phone says it is well past 11:30 PM. I can barely keep my eyes open.

"Theseus! Get up." I push his massive shoulders, only getting a low grunt in reply. He rolls over, his nose pushing into my lower stomach as he wraps his arms around my waist possesively. He curls his body around me and sighs heavily.

"I can't stay here, you know that. I have my own room right there." He peeks one eye open at me and pouts.

"No," he says simply, curling himself tighter around me.

I sigh loudly, banging my head against the wall behind me. Why does he have to be so difficult? I could just stay...he is really warm...

I shake my head, dismissing the ridiculous thought. A low rumbling sound breaks me from my reverie. "Are you purring?" I ask Theseus.

The Lycan in question nods his head, his eyes till closed, a contented look on his handsome face. "Pur soothes Mate," he mumbles groggily.

It's true. The low, rhythmic rumbling is--in some strange, unrealistic way--soothing. I feel as though I am in a state of complete relaxation. This could be due to the late hour of the night, but it seems like more than that. I feel content in every way possible--as though I have no responsibilities--no worries--as though nothing wrong could ever happen as long as I am here, in Theseus' arms.

Where is this even coming from? I have never been one to go off of feelings or hunches, but here I am, thinking all my problems can be solved by a lycan in a lab. What is happening to me? I feel like I am losing control of my life, emotions, and even my actions! First, I am forced to live in a lab. Second, I have a soft spot for my work assignment. Third, I keep feeling like my sudden attatchment to my project is justifiable! How ubsurd!

As if sensing my distress, Theseus pulls me down next to him. He hugs me to his chest and places a kiss to my hair. "Shh, not worry. Not worry," he says. Odly enough, I don't object to his affections, choosing instead to throw caution to the wind and snuggle closer to his chest.

This is wrong, yet so right.

I rest my cheek against his bare chest and lay a cold hand against his abdomen. A shuddering breath escapes his lips before his breathing returns back to normal.

"Sleep now," he demands more than suggests.

Too tired to protest, I let myself drift off into a deep slumber.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

69.8K 1.8K 5
She worked all her life in the lab, caring for the subjects. Until they escaped. And they wanted her. --------------------------------- You've spent...
Hidden بواسطة Soph

المستذئب

997 57 12
[DISCONTINUED] **MATURE LANGUAGE AND CONTENT** **POSSIBLE TRIGGERS** WATTYS2018 I walk down the staircase, entranced with his sharp, angular feature...
392K 18.8K 36
Hidden deep in the California valley is the Aves Department for the infamous C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories. Offered an internship this esteemed genetic res...
134K 8.5K 37
*MERMAN ROMANCE* Moving from the warm beaches of Oahu to the rocky shores of Monterey, California was supposed to be a fresh start for college gradua...