✔Paint Me a Murder | Book 1

By AliKatMeow

(Book 1) Everyone has another personality they don't want anyone else to see. New Syracuse is a town terroriz... More

Paint Me a Murder
Part 1: Bloody Brushstrokes
Chapter 1: Cocaine Cash
Chapter 2: Painted in Blood
Chapter 3: Deal with the Devil
Chapter 4: Bike Ride
Chapter 5: Escaping the Grim Reaper
Chapter 6: Safe and Sound
Chapter 7: Meet the Gang
Chapter 8: Murder Suspect?
Chapter 9: Away from Home
Chapter 10: Devil's Protection
Part 2: Art of Murder
Chapter 11: Eye for an Eye
Chapter 12: Guilty Conscience
Chapter 13: Searching for the Truth
Chapter 14: Sneaky Sleuths
Chapter 15:Breakfast Stakeout
Chapter 16: Innocent Until Proven Guilty
Chapter 17: Suspicions
Chapter 18: Community Service
Chapter 20: Secrets We Keep
Part 3: Killer Canvas
Chapter 21: Midnight Coffee Talks
Chapter 22: Make Me a Rebel
Chapter 23: Study Group
Chapter 24: Who to Trust?
Chapter 25: Trick-or-Treat
Chapter 26:Halloween Night
Chapter 27: Secrets from the Grave
Chapter 28: When Murder Calls
Chapter 29: Sweet Temptation(M)
Chapter 30: Morning After
Part 4: Shades of Truth
Chapter 31: Somewhere to Belong(M)
Chapter 32: Clusterfuck
Chapter 33: Lazy Bear
Chapter 34: Plan Into Action
Chapter 35: Snake in the Shadows
Chapter 36: Undercover Artist
Chapter 37: Death's Embrace
Chapter 38 : Recovery
Chapter 39: Truth Comes to Light
Chapter 40: The End is the Beginning
Book Discussion
Author's Final Note

Chapter 19: Archie, the Informant

202 26 113
By AliKatMeow

By now, Kazimir knew the town like the back of his hand. Every area with road construction was ingrained to memory. He even knew how to avoid the main freeway with morning commuters traveling to work or school because there was always some sort of fender-bender.

He'd just finished his community service work for the day. It consisted of cleaning up the fine arts center after they'd had a guest speaker last night. Kazimir never wanted to scrape gum from chairs again or clean up threatening graffiti that some vandals left for their out-of-town guest speaker.

They scheduled him downtown in Viper Valley far too bright and early in the morning. He even showed up ten minutes early so George wouldn't chew his head off again. After he finished, he wished he'd just showed up right on the dot like he usually did. George couldn't even bother to order them a proper lunch after all their hard work. Kazimir ended up stopping at McDonald's for some chicken nuggets to hold him over.

Despite how comfortable Kazimir had become in New Syracuse, he still didn't feel like he was at home. Maybe he would always feel like an outsider.

Kazimir drove up the familiar gravelly entry to the Voiceless Rebels hideout on his motorcycle then parked. He hurried inside as the chilly wind rustled around him and made his way down the narrow hallway through the shop's office. He passed by Emmett's snazzy classic cars, admiring the sharp blue one. He'd love to take it for a spin someday with Emmett, but he knew the gang leader probably didn't let anyone drive his cars. Kazimir was the same way with his own precious motorcycle.

Pumpkin spice drifted in the air from multiple candles Everly had scattered throughout the room. She hung some festive paper bats on the walls too and even carved jack-o-lanterns that were supposed to represent the gang members. She kept them on the kitchen table then set them outside in the backyard at nighttime and lit them up. Apparently, the one with a lopsided grin and paper glasses was Kazimir. He found Emmett's jack-o-lantern frightening with the creepy smile carved on it.

Charlie was sprawled out on the old couch munching on some potato chips. His body took up most of the seat. He wore a baggy red hoodie, paired with some jogging pants. He acknowledged him with a grin and waved. Kazimir reciprocated the gesture.

"Y'all about to go visit Archie?" Charlie asked.

Kazimir took a seat beside him on the edge of the couch. "Yeah, we are. You know much about him?"

"He's a chill dude, I guess. Much more laid back than Adam and Adrian for sure. Emmett's known him for a long time. I think they went to college together before Archie dropped out," Charlie replied.

While they chatted, Emmett walked into the room. Kazimir never knew Detective Lindel had other brothers, let alone be a triplet. He found it interesting how two of the three brothers joined law enforcement.

"I have to make a quick phone call before we leave," Emmett told him. "It shouldn't take long. I just need to inform another buyer that her scheduled appointment can be moved up. I'm going to let Charlie and Alfie handle her since I'm going to be out with you."

Kazimir nodded. "Alright. I understand."

Everly stepped out of the kitchen, sipping on a soda pop. Her long blonde hair was pulled back in a ponytail. "Y'all are gonna visit Archie, right? I haven't heard from him in a while."

Emmett emerged from the stairwell."Its been ages since our last get-together. Thought we'd do some catching up."

"I'm coming with you," Everly told him. "We can even take my car."

"Why? You haven't shown much interest in Hank's murder case or Snake Charmer," Emmett pointed out.

Everly shrugged. "I'm becoming more curious about it."

"A broader picture is starting to form," Kazimir said. "Hank died because he knew something someone didn't want him to ever uncover."

Everly didn't seem very convinced. "Is he always this dramatic?"

"His theatrical suspicions make him adorable." Emmett grinned.

Kazimir blushed when Emmett called him adorable. He wasn't sure why. It just felt weird for him to state such a thing out loud. Once Emmett got everything settled, the three of them set out to Archie's place in Everly's pink Volkswagen.

Their destination wasn't too far away, but it still teetered on the border of Viper Valley. The moment Kazimir spotted the pair of tennis shoes dangling from the power line, he knew they had ventured deep into drug territory. The overturned street sign on the corner only verified his premonitions. Cambridge Rd. was notorious for shoot-outs and arrests.

Kazimir heard about a pursuit in the area a while back on the news. The suspect was gunned down after opening fire on the police who tried to apprehend him. It was on the roughest side of New Syracuse.

Everly parked on the curb of the dead end street in front of a small, dilapidated home then killed the ignition. The street seemed barren, like no one else lived there. The only reason Kazimir knew the guy had neighbors was due to the accumulation of cars parked along the curbs and up in driveways.

"It's been too long, Emmett." The screen door propped open, revealing the buyer known as Archie. "You guys can come on inside. Take a load off. I got some pop in the fridge and snacks in the cabinets."

"Don't mind if I do." Emmett moseyed on in and set off toward the kitchen.

Archie wasn't handsome at all. He had a long, fat neck and tiny head. Pimples covered his cheeks and chin. Smiles were meant to be comforting but his wasn't. Maybe he was just eccentric? Kazimir wrinkled his nose as he got closer to the guy. He stunk like he hadn't bathed in weeks.

"You're Kaz, right?" Archie looked down at Kazimir.

"Yeah, that's me."

"Well, it's nice to meetcha," Archie said. "Emmett told me you're the one who started looking into the death of this Hank guy. I can't say I have any personal connection to him and his trade, but I asked around for my old pal. I can tell he really wants to get to the bottom of this."

"What all did you discover so far?" The gangster emerged from the other room juggling a bottle of pop, a bag of jerky, and a container of peanut butter.

"Seriously?" Everly frowned at him.

"Mysteries give me the munchies."

Emmett took a load off with his snacks, and Kazimir plopped down beside him. Everly remained standing near the coffee table. Kazimir swiped a few pieces of jerky for himself as Archie began to relay the series of events he learned so far.

"I got in touch with my guy, Rick. That's not his real name, but it's what everyone calls him. Anyway, he recognized Hank. Said he works with the Black Vipers. Apparently, he was trying to leave them, but you know how that is. Once you join a gang, you're in it till death. He was seen in a heated argument with Snake Charmer. Didn't get a real name."

"That's the guy I was telling you about, Emmett. He's in the same community service program as me," Kazimir said. "It's supposed to reform vandals. It's stupid."

"Oh yeah? Sounds boring." Archie snorted.

Kazimir nodded. "It is."

"Those Black Vipers are awful," Emmett said through a mouthful of jerky. "I'm still surprised you chose to move here to Viper Valley. The neighborhoods are fucking awful."

"I got a good deal on the place." Archie shrugged. "So, this Snake Charmer guy sounds like a lunatic. He's known to kill his victims in gory manners, like gutting and slicing the neck. There's a rumor that he has pet snakes guarding the inside of his house, but I'm not sure how true that gossip is. None of my sources have ever had a run-in with him."

Kazimir shivered upon hearing those horrendous details. Could the man he met during his community service be a psychopath?

"All we've learned is that he's a nutcase, pretty strong, abuses women, and likes snakes," Emmett said. "He shot Fatlard once too."

"For real?" Archie raised an eyebrow. "Damn. Was he hit badly?"

"Got him in the leg," Emmett replied. "You know how Fatlard is. He always gripes about how his opponents are weak little fucks. Not Snake Charmer. Fatlard admitted that he's strong. And only after that one gang war."

"Sounds like he could be capable of killing Hank then," Everly spoke up. "The only thing I wonder is why? A drug deal gone wrong, maybe? Betrayal?"

Emmett shrugged. "Who knows? Could be anything."

"This is all speculation," Kazimir pointed out. "We need proof that Snake Charmer killed Hank, or they're going to keep coming for me instead."

"In order to lure Snake Charmer out, you'll have to antagonize his vipers first," Archie said. "That might cause another gang war though."

Emmett replied, "And here I thought we were starting to get closer to living peacefully alongside them."

Archie snickered. "Hell will freeze over before that ever happens."

Amid Archie's laughter, Kazimir perceived a faint crackle. Curiosity urged him toward the mullioned window to look around at the neighborhood. He observed the silent street, hoping to pinpoint something unusual. Had someone followed them? Kazimir had gotten paranoid lately, but something seemed off to him. Was it the Black Vipers coming to strike?

"You okay?" Emmett asked Kazimir. "You seem skittish."

"Does something feel off to you?" Kazimir asked.

Emmett frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I-I think we're being watched," Kazimir told him.

"You learn to stay paranoid when you're around Emmett long enough," Archie said.

Emmett took a gander out the window next. "Fuck, get down! Now!"

Shards of glass scattered around them as Emmett pulled Kazimir down in front of the couch. Everly and Archie ducked down beside them too. Cloudy smoke billowed around them as Kazimir coughed. Kazimir tried to concentrate on his surroundings but it was too misty. They used a smoke bomb to disorient them.

Heart pounding in his ears, Kazimir strained to get a better glance at the front door. The smoke fogged up his glasses, making it impossible to see anything. How did they find them so quickly? What did they want? Memories from the night of Samantha's attack came to mind, throwing Kazimir into panic.

The intruders' heavy footsteps echoed against the hardwood floor after they walloped the front door open. Kazimir tried to move away from the sofa. His idea of a hiding place was under the coffee table, as his small frame would easily fit. Before he could, cold calloused hands wrenched him up. Kazimir felt the apprehension in the man's muscles when he guided them away from the sofa. Kazimir swayed unsteadily. If it weren't for his rough tugging, Kazimir would have toppled over.

Kazimir tried to steel himself. He couldn't afford to be weak. His death would be the ultimate price.

"We should be safe down here."

There was an irritating ringing in Kazimir's ears. When the mist faded away, his vision became less hazy as he removed his glasses to wipe the lens. The stench of cat piss lingered in the air. Kazimir made out the figure who lured him away from the chaos.

"Archie, we have to rescue them."

"They can handle themselves," Archie replied, raising his voice. "We'd only get in their way."

Smoke drifted down into the basement when Kazimir pulled the squeaky door open. Archie's desperate pleas went in one ear and out the other. From the sound of gunshots, Kazimir roughly pinpointed where the shooters were.

"Are you just as fucking insane as them?" Archie asked. "Get your little ass back in here."

"I have to help them. Didn't you hear the footsteps? There's more than one out there. Emmett and Everly will be outnumbered," Kazimir explained.

"The fuck you talking about? You wanna get yourself killed?" Archie asked.

Kazimir shook his head, wincing when more gunshots rent the air. "What should we do then?"

Archie pulled out his phone and made a call, keeping it close to his ear. "I'll get my brother out here. Don't worry. We'll be okay."

The world seemed to gyrate around Kazimir, drowning out everything in deafening gunshots.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 8K 40
After going through a number of disasters I realized that actually I am reborn as the villainess character, more of a brat, Chloe Bourgeois, in a chi...
7.4K 305 29
A young girl named Onika is trying to live a normal but finds herself trying to escape 3 psychos
174K 1.8K 6
❝ fate. a word meaning destiny. fate. a word meaning doom. ❞ [ a f4 thailand fic ] [ f4 x fem!oc ] [ a standalone ] © 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐰𝐛𝐛𝐲𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐞𝐫