Necessary Evil

By IrisEvergreen

Ten years after the exile of Naruto Uzumaki, Konoha wants him back. Naruto is happy that he can enter the lan... More

Necessary Evil
A mission
Is that Naruto?
STILL A NAIVE IDIOT...OR NOT...
The Rebirth
Dinner with Naruto sama
Back to Konoha
Not Here To Stay
The Game Begins
Dig The Grave Deeper
The beginning Of The End
Watching You Crumple
Matches Continue
Unstoppable
The Demon Inside
The Next Move
The Truth
About Naruto
Shaking the foundations
Life After
Author's Note

Mercy

10.6K 367 128
By IrisEvergreen

Naruto wondered if this fight was ever going to start.

Sasuke just stood there trying to gaud Naruto with petty words that would have worked... Twelve years ago.

Naruto tilted his head to the side in a confused manner when Sasuke said, "Just because you defeated the rest of the rookies doesn't mean that you will win this fight, dobe."

Then he smirked, "I'll try not to harm you much, especially that pretty face of yours."

Naruto looked amused at the taunting, "I remember that you didn't use to be this much talkative... Must be a new skill you've acquired."

Naruto chuckled, "Personally I like it when you stay silent. Easier to ignore you that way."

Sasuke glared at the blonde.

Naruto watched Sasuke activate his Sharingan right away.

Sasuke made the first move rushing at  Naruto at jonin level speeds and engaged him in taijutsu battle.

But for some reason even with the Sharingan's ability to predict the enemy's movements, Sasuke couldn't predict Naruto. This was more humiliating due to the fact that Naruto wasn't using any fancy taijutsu styles or any style at all.

He was just dodging.

Naruto dodged a strike fluidly and watched as Sasuke moved back before he could reciprocate.

Sasuke now understood that close range with Naruto was not a wise move and followed a hit and run tactic. It was effective only because Naruto didn't seem interested in moving from where he stood.

Naruto's casual stance and the bored look were insulting but Sasuke forcefully kept calm.

Sasuke made three shadow clones and the four of them together attacked the blonde with the same tactic forcing the blonde to deal with at least two attacks at the same time and continuing the attack relentlessly. Throwing ninjutsu and taijutsu at Naruto with extreme accuracy.

Insufferable personality aside, the Uchiha was not half bad... No match for Naruto or Kyoshiro or Danzo or... yeah, no match for a lot of people but still, not bad.

Over and over Naruto dodged every one of Sasuke's and clones' attacks. Sasuke's Sharingan didn't help much and Naruto wasn't retaliating at all.

"Is that all Sasuke?"

"No," Sasuke smirked.

Naruto's lips twitched and he moved just in time that another clone welding a sword missed by a hairbreadth.

This time Naruto retaliated with a single strike that dispelled the clone.

"You thought I didn't know that you were trying to distract me?"

Sasuke smirked, "I think it worked."

Naruto shook his head amused, "No it didn't."

Naruto kicked off of the ground and Sasuke who was trying to sneak up on the blonde with the Chidori was left floundering and was rewarded by a swift kick to the side of his head courtesy of Naruto's clone.

Sasuke dodged at the last second.

Naruto had noticed right away at the beginning that Sasuke had made five clones and hid one away while another replaced him.

Naruto noticed the flickering of chakra spreading over the atmosphere and recognized it as a Sharingan genjutsu.

Useless.

Naruto landed next to his clone and simultaneously both of them shot forward and dispelled all four clones and throwing Sasuke back with a punch. Sasuke flipped mid-air and vanished.

Naruto didn't even bother and his clone punched the earth forcing Sasuke out.

Sasuke retreated and instead of following up on the attack like Sasuke expected the dobe just stayed back and watched, waiting for his next move.

Naruto was letting him decide the pace of the match. Sasuke found that it was insulting but he could take advantage of it.

Sasuke took out his sword.

"Raikiri Blade!"

The sword sparked and glowed, the sound of birds filled the stadium. The Konohans watched smugly as their precious Uchiha used his priced technique.

Naruto shook his head when Sasuke rushed at him. He should have already figured out that close-range attacks would be a waste on Naruto.

The blade descended on Naruto with unbelievable speed and the crowd gasped in surprise.

Naruto stood there nonchalantly, the still glowing sword caught with his right hand. Sasuke stared at him horrified and Naruto smirked.

Gulping, Sasuke vanished but for some reason his sword remained with Naruto. Naruto smiled darkly and held the sword with both arms.

Snap!

The Kusanagi; said to be forged the rarest of metals, the sharpest blade in existence; now lay in pieces at Naruto's feet.

Sasuke stumbles in disbelief despite all the training he had acquired in not getting distracted during fights. 

____________

The contestant's box only contained the jonin sensei and the remaining sannin. All the other rookies were still in the hospital.

Tsunade was enjoying watching the show.

She openly smirked at the scowl adorning both Jiraiya and the others face.

She observed the jonin sensei. She knew that Jiraiya and Kakashi were set in their ways and had no plan on giving up.

Gai was the same, but only because he was doing this for his village. As much as he hated doing it he would follow his orders. Asuma and Kurenai were different. Both of them wanted to quit but with Danzo as the Hokage, quitting now would only earn them more punishment in the future.

He hoped that Naruto wouldn't be too rough on them. After all they had done nothing when compared to the rest of them...

Tsunade turned back to look at the match.

__________

Once the shock of seeing his precious sword snapped like a twig passed, Sasuke attacked with a renewed fervor. Sasuke was using every technique he had yet it was useless against Naruto.

Naruto smirked, "You done already? This is boring Sasuke... Maybe I should've left you with Orochimaru, that way you might at least be a little more challenging..."

Naruto sighs in mock sadness, "This is so sad..."

Sasuke glared at the blonde in hatred. And then he smirked.

Naruto's eyes narrowed as he saw Sasuke going through the next set of hand signs and slam his palm to the ground.

Kuchiyose no jutsu

Naruto was curious when a black serpentine creature appeared on the arena. It almost the size of a horse.

A demon?

Naruto's face contorted angrily and Sasuke's smirk widened.

The demon shifted in forms and took its human form.

In the middle of the arena stood a very beautiful man. He had jet black hair long enough to brush the floor and it was tied in a top knot with the strands weaved together in an intricate braid, his skin was pale and eyes the same color of his hair.

Naruto noted the look of triumph on Sasuke's face.

That fool! Does he really think that this will help him?

"It's nice to finally meet you in person, Naruto-san..." The demon hissed with a smile. No one could understand the words of the man as he was speaking in the demonic tongue.

Naruto smiled genially as he replied in the demonic tongue as well, "I wish I could say the same, but you have defied the law by making a contract with a human."

The Dragon demon bowed mockingly, "Forgive me for my insolence, Lord Naruto, I heard that some humans were fighting you and I thought that I may provide some aid... Otherwise you have to admit that it would a very unfair match."

"Demon, I didn't summon you to chit chat with him. Attack!"
Sasuke growled.

He swallowed three chakra pills and felt a subsequent boost in his chakra. That will have to do for now.

He didn't miss the familiarity that the demon showed to Naruto and understood that the demon hadn't been entirely honest with him.

_________

The armrest of Kyoshiro's seat splintered calling the attention of the other kages to him.

"That is a demon?" Mei asked.

Kyoshiro nodded stiffly.

"What law is Naruto talking about?" Gaara asked curiously.

Kyoshiro sighed, "When Naruto became my mate and subsequently a Demon Lord our plan was to clean up the demon world."

Kyoshiro didn't mention Naruto's other plans. Friends, they may be but they didn't need to know Naruto's entire plan. But they knew that Naruto was no longer human. It was not a hidden fact to any of the allies of Demon country.

"There was an old law that gave demons permission to enter and abuse the human realm freely," Kyoshiro thought about Amon who had escaped to the human realm and possessed Orochimaru.

"We wanted to rectify that. So, we made a law to forbid any unauthorized entry of demons into the human realm. Part of the law was that no demon may create a contract with a mortal without acknowledgment of one of the ten Lords. And I know for a fact that he," Kyoshiro sneered at the reptile demon, "doesn't have any of our permission."

"What is the punishment for breaking that law?" Kintsuchi asked.

"Death of course," Kyoshiro said with a bloodthirsty smile.

"Then why is he going against the law?"

Kyoshiro sighed, "Not everyone accepted the new laws quietly. So far we haven't resorted to violence yet and some demons are under the impression that it makes us weaker. Our reputation is not helped by the fact that nine of us used to be sealed into mortals and Naruto used to be mortal himself. Some are under the impression that they will make a better ruler than us..."

The kages shook his head at their foolishness.

"Well I know that Naruto will make the ending of this fool a warning for the rest."

_________

The demon paid no mind to Sasuke's command.

Sasuke was enraged. The creature had reached out to him the day the matches were announced. It said that it wanted to go against the jailor of the almighty Kyuubi and was willing to create a contract with him.

Sasuke was sure that the creature had some other intentions but the opportunity was not one to be wasted so Sasuke agreed.

Now hearing the creature's conversation with Naruto even if he couldn't understand what they were saying it was obvious that it hadn't told Sasuke the entire truth.

But now was not the time or place to contemplate that.

Sasuke growled angrily at the demon.

"Ah... It seems my summoner is getting impatient," the demon drawled, "I believe it's time we start fighting."

Naruto nodded, "I believe so too."

The demon looked at Sasuke and nodded once then changed into its demonic form.

Naruto watched as Sasuke climbed on top of it and then majestic wings spread out from the demon's back and it took flight.

Naruto shook his head and moved his hand. Golden chains erupted from everywhere across the stadium.

The demon cursed and dodged a few but the rest ensnared its limbs and strangled its wings.

The demon roared and Sasuke tried to remove the chains and failed.

The chains tightened and the demon's body exploded into black flames.

Sasuke landed on the ground cursing.

To people who didn't know who it what Sasuke had summoned the fight was not all that much. But to those who did, Naruto was fighting one of the demons that opposed the rule of the Ten.

Naruto knew the fight wasn't over. So, he was more than prepared when the demon appeared behind him.

He reached out and grabbed a hold of its neck. Naruto would've preferred not to show this much power but this was a necessity. This was a warning to those he could sense hiding among the audience.

Sasuke charged seeing that the blonde was preoccupied but he had forgotten the clone in all the commotion. Which resulted in him kissing the ground courtesy of the clone.

Naruto released level thirty of his power as the demon escaped his hold and retreated.

The pressure exerted by the amount of chakra released was immense and the audience began to sweat. Sasuke couldn't keep his Sharingan active. The chakra around Naruto was visible to even normal people and looking at it with a dojutsu was painful.

He escaped the clone and hid. Trying to bid time until he could activate his dojutsu again.

This time he was going to use the Mangekyo. 

It would also help if the blond was tired from his fight with the demon so, Sasuke hid and looked for an opening. Which he never got, thanks to the clone.

Naruto was giving the demon the beatdown of his life. If the demon thought he had a chance at winning when Naruto wasn't going past level 1, at level 30 any and all chances were obliterated.

Even the demon knew that. Evident by the fact that Naruto had ripped out both its wings and broken two of its other limps. It was crawling now.

"Let this be a warning to all those who think that they can oppose us..."

Naruto spoke in the strange language the humans couldn't understand but it was heard by everyone. Only the demons who were watching the match could understand the demonic tongue.

The demon who was about to be killed as Naruto prepared the killing blow, chuckled.

"You fool! You may kill me now, but now that you have shown your full power I know that there are others who could and would beat you... You're strong, I admit, stronger than me but I know others stronger than you! So, go ahead kill me, you and your biju will be joining me soon in Makai."

Naruto chuckled at the false bravado, "You think this is my full power?"

The demon frowned at that. Naruto lifted his head and looked at the audience. He saw the demon's hiding in between the humans and watching the fight. All of them here to see his demise.

"I am not even using a quarter of it yet..."

Then he released all thousand levels of his power. The power was suffocating and even the most oblivious person couldn't stop from crying out at the feel of it.

It only lasted a second. A blink and the power disappeared like it was just their imagination.

But the message had been delivered.

Naruto looked down at the demon whose eyes had widened in horror and awe and fear.

Naruto saw how the demon shuddered and he saw the fear that was settling in.

The demon closed his eyes expecting a killing blow but it never came.

"This is your one and only warning... Only because I do not want to use violence to achieve obedience. But know that my mercy extends only so far."

The demon was speechless.

Naruto let go of it and straightened. His eyes roamed over every part of the stadium.

"Leave this realm and go back to your own... Do not test me."

Every demon who had come expecting the defeat of the new Lord knew that the warning was for them and we're thankful for the mercy given.

Naruto felt the presence of the demon's vanishing as the portals opened and they left for their home. He looked down at the demon he had caught who was still just sitting there.

Naruto raised an eyebrow when the demon stood up and bowed.

"When I came to defeat you I had thought that you were unfit to lead our kind. That you are weak. But you have proved me wrong. You are not only powerful but a merciful leader as well... Today you spared my life and from this day on I swear a life debt to you. I and any hatchlings I will produce will follow you, protect you, and die for you if necessary. Please accept my life debt."

Naruto was silent for a moment before he said, "what is your name?"

"I am Doragon of Ishlan, Lord of the Dragons."

"Doragon of Ishlan I accept your life debt."

Doragon bowed thankfully and then he was gone.

Naruto smiled. This would make things easier in the demon realm...

Now he had a human to deal with.

Naruto's clone was distracted, giving Sasuke the chance he needed and he prepared his attack. The rasengan, the dobe's father's technique. Sasuke felt a sick pleasure in having got it.

A dark purple skeletal figure began forming around Sasuke. Naruto waited patiently for the Susanoo to be complete.

He was going to crush that damned Uchiha pride of his.

The susanoo raised the sword in it's left hand intending to bring it down on the blond. Naruto finally turned around to face his opponent.

"I have tired of this game, Uchiha."

Naruto's eyes met Sasuke's through the transparent form of the susanoo.

The susanoo brought the sword down.

"Demonic art: Soul Flame Incarnation."

Everyone watched with bated breath as a giant translucent figure of a bird formed above Naruto. The bird; a phoenix, shook its feathers and launched itself at the susanoo.

With a booming crack of thunder the bird impacted the susanoo. The struggle for power lasted but a moment and before everyone's eyes the Susanoo crumbled. Sasuke couldn't even comprehend what had happened. 

Naruto just watched coolly.

Sasuke snapped out of his thoughts enraged and frightened in equal measure. He displaced himself with a clone. He had no misconception that Naruto wouldn't discover him, not anymore, but the blonde had no more clones left and Sasuke hoped that his clone could distract the blond.

He had chakra for only two more attacks left.

Naruto knew it the moment the Uchiha started what used to be one of his father's and later his signature techniques.

Naruto closed his eyes and just as the Uchiha was about to drive the rasengan to his back, he turned around and caught his wrist in an iron grip. A twist and the sickening crack as the bones of Sasuke's arm shattered at four places.

Outwardly there was no blood but the scream that the Uchiha let out and how his arm stayed limp and useless at his side after that showed how much damage he had taken.

Sasuke attempted to retreat but Naruto was done playing this game.

A kick shattered the Uchiha's knee and his leg bent at an awkward angle.

He stifled another scream.

Naruto caught his face in one hand and made him face Naruto at eye level.

"Look at me," he commanded.

Sasuke's pain filled eyes opened to show the spinning Mangekyo sharingan.

"Fool," he said smugly while still in pain, "Tsukuyomi. This ends now."

It only lasted a second.

The audience watched dumbfounded as Naruto seemed to come back to his body. The Uchiha slumped against him and Naruto placed him on the ground. Before walking away.

"Winner: Uzumaki Naruto."

___________________

What happened inside tsukuyomi world

"In this world I am god," Sasuke said, "I will-"

"Stop," Naruto said and suddenly Sasuke couldn't speak.

He gaped and tried to speak but nothing happened.

The bindings that tied Naruto down fell away and disappeared.

Sasuke was frightened as he saw chains slither towards him. They wound up his body and bound him down.

Golden flames licked along the seams of his seemingly limitless world and cracks appeared on the sky as Naruto's chakra overpowered it.

The red and black shades of the tsukuyomi world faded and became white and grey shades.

Sasuke couldn't believe what was happening. First Susanoo now this!

How could the dobe control his jutsu? His Mangekyo sharingan's jutsu!

Naruto looked around and was satisfied with what he saw. The world was completely under his control now.

"You used to be a nice kid Sasuke..." Naruto began ignoring Sasuke's glare, "The first two years of the academy, I still remember how you used to laugh and smile. Even though you didn't try to make friends with me you smiled kindly at me. I used to think that you would grow up into a wonderful, kind, and loving person...

I'll even admit that I had a slight crush on you back then.

But then the massacre happened.

And you were so... broken. You broke and those who tried to fix things only managed to twist you into something else. They made you functional but wrong.

I pitied you after that. I wanted to help you. I wanted to bring back the smiling little boy who loved his family and lived for the smiles his mother and brother gave..."

Naruto looked at Sasuke. There was a wide eyed panicked and angry and confused look in his eyes. His mouth moved forming words that couldn't be heard.

"My obsession with you started all the way back then I suppose... First a crush, then a friend and finally reached a brother. All because I still saw the image of that kind little boy when I looked at you. Despite your surly attitude I knew you were worth saving...

But I gave up on you.

After the banishment I pushed that little boy to the back of my mind. And I looked at you and your actions and not the image of a forgotten boy.

I hated it. I hated what you had become. I hated everything you had done. A spoilt brat you are Sasuke. For seven years I held that hatred. You had, knowingly or not, destroyed everything I had worked to achieve.

Itachi tried to correct me of course."

Naruto watched as Sasuke's struggles become wild and mindless. He waited for the man to settle.

"Did you know your brother still loves you? He blames himself for what you have become."

Sasuke looked furious and confused and lost.

"One night drunk and depressed Itachi began telling me stories. About you when you were little. How much he loved you... And he told me what exactly he did that night. What he did to you..."

Sasuke's eyes were glazed over as memories long forgotten played before him.

"I believe that what you have become today, this despicable man you are is a result of what you went through that night. Itachi made a mistake and you paid the price with your sanity. I can't even blame your brother because he thought he was doing the right thing. Inside you something is still broken. Shattered and put together the wrong way... So I want you to know that I forgive you."

Sasuke looked lost. He was desperately trying to hold on to his anger Naruto could see that. But he was losing it.

"But," Naruto paused for a moment gaining Sasuke's attention, "I cannot and will not forget about your wrongdoings... I promised someone that you will be punished for what you did to her. And I promised myself that I will end the Uchiha line... So you shall be punished."

Sasuke didn't react. He just laid there slowly taking this all in. He had already given up. If the blonde could take over the tsukuyomi just like that, then Sasuke knew that he had a snowballs chance in hell of beating Naruto.

But who was the dobe talking about? Ending the Uchiha line, was he going to kill him? Is this some kind of apology before he snapped Sasuke's neck?

"But I also think that you deserve a second chance."

Sasuke looked at Naruto confused.

Wasn't he just talking about how he hated what he had become?

"In here time runs differently. And since I am the one controlling the time dilation, I have made it so that every second out there would equal a month..."

The amount of chakra that would require... Sasuke's eyes widened. Then he wondered why he was even surprised anymore.

"You shall pay for all of your actions Uchiha and at the end of your punishment... You shall be given a second chance."

"So shall we begin?"

________________________

Danzo watched the match with wonder. But only Kyoshiro could see the emotions behind the blank face.

"Our Lord is merciful..." Danzo whispered reverently.

Kyoshiro smiled. Although he had wanted to punish the demon for attacking his mate, he approved what his mate had done.

"How long do I have to act like this?" Danzo asked.

Kyoshiro smirked, "It would take a while. I am not sure about his intentions but he would want to have you be the Hokage. He might hate this village but I think there are still people here who deserve a good life. He will not let Konoha be destroyed, which is exactly what would happen if he let someone else become the Hokage... So you would have to live as Danzo for a few years at least, kit, or until you find a successor; someone who could fix this godforsaken village."

Danzo frowned, that would take a long long time.

Kyoshiro was the only one there that could see past the Kitsune illusion and see 'Danzo's real appearance.

The little two tailed Kitsune with fluffy orange hair and deep green eyes that disguised as Danzo.

After Naruto was done with Danzo last night, there wasn't much left of the man. Naruto had decided that it would be better if Konoha didn't find out that their Hokage had been killed just yet.

He watched as the Uchiha slumped forward unconscious.

Kyoshiro knew that the mercy shown to the Uchiha today was due to Itachi pleading his brother's case to Naruto months ago.

Kyoshiro didn't know exactly what Naruto had done with the Uchiha yet. Just like the others, Sasuke too didn't have anymore chakra left. Other than that, Kyoshiro didn't know what had been done.

___________________

The Uchiha was removed from the stadium and the next match was called.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.3K 799 11
Almost 2 years after the great ninja war, Gai is coping with the loss of the use of his leg with much bravado and positivity as he can muster. His at...
49K 1.7K 53
'"Please Itachi... I know I can't save Sasuke but I can save you." Itachi considered these words before knocking Naruto's hand away.' Redemption begi...
431 47 15
when kenmas suicide attempt fails he's sent back in time to fix his mistakes from years ago, including his relationship with kuroo.
4.7K 223 26
Naruto transferred school for the sake of love, but what he didn't expect are the surprises awaiting him there. Fighters, Medics, and even Slaves? Wh...