Sweeter than Sweets {M/M} (Do...

By CatMint5

A young man who believes rules aren't meant for him. A by the book law enforcer. An interrogation gone wrong... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Where is Sweeter Than Sweets?

Chapter 32

1.9K 150 24
By CatMint5

I held onto Bear as my legs carried me home, my mind reeling from what I'd just witnessed.

Alec could shift.

And he'd chosen me to share that secret with.

Why?

Just why?

He knew that what he was doing was illegal and he'd made me an accomplice in his crime by showing me.

Now I had no choice but to turn him in.

It was either that or I'd lose my job... My livelihood... My life's purpose.

Being a Sentinel was more than just a position I held.

I believed in the system. I wanted to help people, to make my tiny contribution to bettering the world I lived in. I'd worked hard to get where I was today and be the best I could possibly be so I could save as many people as I could. So that there wouldn't be territory wars between packs. So that there wouldn't be hate crimes between shifters and Dayers. So that no one would prey on the weak, ignorant of the supernatural humans.

So that no one had to suffer like Peter had.

My eyes watered and I sniffed as I unlocked the door to my apartment. Bear whined and tried to give me a consoling lick, but I put him on the floor. Then - thinking I shouldn't neglect him, especially when he wanted to help - I gave him a quick pat on the head before heading to the bathroom.

The reflection in the mirror above my sink presented a scary picture.

Pale skin, wide eyes, forehead drenched in sweat... I've had the flu and looked better.

Who knew that knowledge could bring so much turmoil to a person?

That it could drain the life out of you in a matter of minutes?

I'd only seen myself in this state once before and I still had nightmares over what had brought it on.

I turned and walked out of the bathroom. Late as it was, I picked up the phone and called in sick, then slumped on my couch and stared at the wall, Bear jumping up to join me before placing his muzzle on my knee.

I lay on the couch, right leg dangling off the edge and left forearm covering my forehead, staring at the ceiling of my living room, the ice cream in my bowl now having melted into mush. From the corner of my eye, I saw Luca jump onto the coffee table and sniff the molten treat; he then sat down, gazing at me with narrowed eyes as his tail flicked.

I ignored him long enough for him to give up and jump off the table.

I couldn't see where he went after that.

If he was hungry, he could have my ice cream; I wasn't in a mood for it.

He shouldn't be hungry though; I hadn't fed myself today, but I'd given him breakfast... How long ago?

Time seemed to be slipping away from me since I'd shown myself to Adrian a few days ago.

I'd slept a lot, looked at whatever was on TV without actually watching it and answered a couple of Vika's calls. She could tell straight away that something was off and outright asked if I'd done the really stupid thing I'd warned her I'd be doing. I'd answered with a yes and then she'd inquired how it had gone.

I hadn't replied.

To say that it had backfired spectacularly would've been an understatement.

I had no idea what Adrian would do, which didn't sit well with me and that wasn't because he could get me in trouble with the law.

The realization that I actually didn't want to stop meeting up with him and that I would miss him if he was to cut contact was what had floored me.

I'd had other men and women in my life that I'd fucked and then somewhat kept in touch with - David was the one who first came to mind - but if I were to never get together with them again, I'd be fine with that. Maybe I'd see something that reminded me of them and have a fleeting thought of 'what could they be up to now', but that was about it.

Just vague curiosity.

No real interest.

No nostalgia.

No regret that I'd lost their number.

But things were different with Adrian.

I'd miss the way he got flustered when I flirted with him.

I'm miss the way he tried to compose himself and straightened up to pretend that I wasn't affecting him although his face was flushed as if he'd just ran a marathon.

I'd miss him cooking and his awkward attempts to make small talk.

I'd miss him having the genuine desire to hear me out without plotting what he could do with the info he'd learn.

I'd even miss his pooch looking at me like I was the most awesome person - after Adrian - in the world, even though I did my best to ignore him.

And I couldn't figure out why that was.

Why I cared for these things that I'd never cared about when it came to the other people I'd had sex with.

Was it that I had a crush on the Sentinel?

What did crushes even feel like?

I had no idea.

I'd never had a crush before.

If this was a crush.

Probably not.

I didn't think I was capable of crushes.

My phone buzzed, but I ignored it, thinking it was probably Vika. Then I thought it could be Adrian, so I sat up and picked the device.

Nope.

Just Vika.

Until a few days ago, I'd never been disappointed to spot her name light up my screen.

I put the phone back on the coffee table and went back to lying on my couch.

I need time.

That had been what Adrian had said before he'd left me in the park.

Time to do what?

Probably go through his options and figure out the best plan of action.

But for whom?

For himself? Or for me?

Could I expect him to choose me over his career?

His whole life, really, as he lived for what he did.

I couldn't.

But I wanted him to choose me.

I was selfish like that, even though the thought of that outcome came with a dose of guilt.

Time.

Time for him to make his decision.

How long would it take him?

Perhaps I was already out of time and I just didn't know it yet.

My cousin had been way too moody during our phone calls, the ones he bothered to answer anyway. And that in itself had been a red flag for me; Alec avoided other family members, but never me. Even if he couldn't pick up at the moment, he'd call me or at least text me later.

Thus me hauling ass to Greenwood, making a stop at his favorite bakery before I went to visit him.

Unannounced, but what was he going to do?

Throw me out?

I had a key.

And Luca would probably let me in, even if I hadn't. That cat was smart and enjoyed ticking my cousin off. Them annoying each other was amongst their favorite pastimes.

Besides, it wasn't like Alec to throw me out.

Then again, it wasn't like him to avoid my calls.

I parked my bike in front of Mayflour, took off my helmet and hung it on the bike's handle. Then I walked towards the door, opening it just as someone was coming out. I held the door for the red-haired Dayer and gave her a cursory glance. Her face had a determined expression as she dashed past me - mouth-watering scent coming from the bag of goodies in her hand - and gave me a nod in thanks. She was a beautiful woman and I would've enjoyed checking her out if I hadn't been in a hurry myself.

Someone had to give Alec a kick in the butt.

Loving him as much as I did, that someone had to be me.

With that thought in mind, I made my way into the bakery, heading for the vanilla sweets.

You've probably guessed that the red-head is Sasha and that she had a similar plan as Vika, except including Adrian instead of Alec. Do you think the girls will be able to convince the guys to pull their shit together?

Also, you've probably expected Adrian to be off his game, but did you expect this to impact Alec so strongly?

Also, did you enjoy the new POV?

I might include Sasha's too at some point; anyone interested in that?

Please support the chapter with a VOTE if you enjoyed it! Have a great time wattpadding!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 80.2K 46
"A mate will love you and only you. No other can compare to you and he or she will treasure you above all and everything in the world," mommy says to...
1.2M 51.8K 80
This story is complete ✅ Alec is a twenty-five year old gentle boy with the looks of an angel. He has not figured out what he needs in love yet and h...
401K 20.2K 68
*COMPLETED* After Asher's parents were killed by their enemy pack, he has to take over the position of alpha. Since his parents didn't believe in mat...
87.1K 3.8K 134
[[MATURE CONTENT]] Pack, family, mate. Loyalty, respect, honor. These are the words that form the foundation of the wolf society. At six years old, E...