Prostasia

By prettyejara

When Eivlyn's boyfriend left her after the death of her Mom, her world suddenly became shaky. Without Tristan... More

Chapter 3
Chap. 4

Ptostasía Chap. 1 & 2

268 6 3
By prettyejara

Chap. 1 

Prostasía - the Greek word for protection - is what he gave me before he left. My old boyfriend, Tristan had given it to me. He's never left my dreams since the day exactly one year ago when he left, leaving town and never bothering to call or contact me in any way since. The only thing he left me was a note. 

'Evilyn - please don't forget me. You know I love you! I'll come back for you. This is Prostasía. It will stop other vampires from feeding from you. Please keep it on you at all times - I can't let anything hurt you. 

Love Tristan.                                                                   <3' 

There was a little heart at the bottom. I always kept this note in the gold locket I always wore. What he'd given me was a ring. It was gold and there was what appeared to be a glass band woven in with the string if gold. In this band was the Prostasía. 

Your probably asking yourself what I'm talking about. If I'm insane. Some would definately say yes. Others would shrug, and yet others would say no. 

And vampires? Yes, they're real. 

I closed my diary and turned off the light early. It was 10:00 pm and the first day of school was waitig for me in the morning. The first day is never the best, so the more sleep I ended up getting the better. 

Shower finished, I dried my mid-back length black hair. It fell straight over my thin black leather jacket. I was wearing a navy blue long sleeved v-neck shirt with a yellow scarf. My gold locket fell under it, and you could see it clearly. After donning fading skinny jeans, I pulled on black four inch heels and grabbed my backpack. 

With my diary tucked safely in my backpack, I grabbed my keys to drive to school when my dad stopped me. 

"Home by ten." he sniffed and turnned back to his paper. 

"Uhkay." I sighed. He never really talked to me since Mom died. And only I knew what had really happened. She had invited a vampire into our home. It killed her, then Tristan killed it before it could get to me. The poliece ended up finding Mom's body in the back yard and concluded that it had been an animal. The hard thing was knowing the truth and not being able to say a thing to anyone. 

I parked in the school parking lot five minutes after leaving the house. I tossed the keys absent mindedly into my bag and took a deep, steadying breath. This is it - I'm back at school. When Mom died I hadn't come back for the remainder of the school year. What would people say? I shook off the doubt and opened the door. 

"EVILYN!" my friend Niki saw me and shreiked my name. Thank god we were both outside. 

"Hey, Nik." she suffocated me with a bear hug and examined my face. 

"Nice tan." she smiled kindly. It was a nice golden brown now. I smiled back at her. 

"Thanks. I have to go get my schedual so I'll see you later." I hugged her one last time and walked into the large brick building. 

The secratary handed me a stack of papers and I found my schedual on the top. The bell rang over my head, and the tone left the echo of the sound stuck in my head even after the noise stopped. 

"Okay," I muttered to myself, looking at the seating chart. "Middle row, very end. Gottcha." I found my seat next to the window and sat down. There were three new students in my first period class. Two were sisters who had just moved here - they were Korean. And then I saw the third as he came through the classroom door. He was tall, wearing fitted jeans and a black leather jacket over a white t-shirt. He had green emrald colored eyes that shone intensly when he gave me a perfect smile. I smiled back. 

"Okay class." the teacher clapped her hands togeather to get the class' attention back. "Today we will be..." I toned out as she started lecturing us on her expectations for our class. I looked out the window and saw a guy that looked as though her could be the new guy's older brother. 

I smiled at him, and recieved one in return. Being on the first floor, I watched him clearly as he climbed into a black Mustang and left the school. 

When school was over I found myself in the hall, and being clumsy as usual. Someone knocked ino my shouldber and I dropped my history book and notes to the floor. Someone bent and piked up the papers as I examined my book. 

"Here're your notes." I looked up and smiled. The new guy smiled at me and handed me my things. "I have Jenkins too." he said, acknowledging our similar class. 

"Yeah, he's pretty intensce." I nodded. 

"Yes, but I think he's just enthusiastic about his subject. Meaning he's really into it." he said. "I'm Declan, by the way." 

"Evilyn." I said. "It's nice to meet you." my phone started buzzing. He gave me one last smiling glance and walked off to his locker. I looked at the number. 247A. I wrote it hurridly on the inside of my hand, just in case. There was a message from my Dad, reminding me to be home by ten. I dropped off my un-needed text books and pulled on my jacket. I got out my journal and sat under the large oak tree near my car and began to write. 

Senior year! Everyone is so occupied with getting back togeather with their friends and figuring out their scheduals that they tend not to ask questions. Which is good, in a way. But sometimes I find myself wishing that someone besides Niki would take notice of me. The new guy, Declan, seems really nice, and I must admit that he's on top of the looks catagory. But I don't know what to do about anything yet. I'm thinking I should just let it all sink in, then go from there. 

   I closed the green book and put it back in my backpack, just as a black Mustang pulled in the parking space dirrectly in front of me, next to my average car. It was the guy I'd seen out of the window earlier during first period. 

"Hi." he gave me half a smile that looked like a bit of a smirk. Like he had a secret. He held out a hand. "Zane Sitíras." 

"I'm Evilyn. You must be Declan's brother?" 

"Clever." he smiled again. 

"Nice ring." I jerked my hand back, slightly unkindly. "Kyr pétra." 

"And I suspect your carrying Prostasía in that locket of yours, witch." he lost the charming smile and glared menacingly in my dirrection. I'd recognized the ring all vampires wore to protect themselves from the harmful sunlight. 

"I'm no witch, and i'm not dumb enough to keep my Prostasía is such an obvious place." I growled. "But you should be careful." 

"What's your name?" Zane asked. I studied his mesmerizing features. Even more so than his brother. 

"I already said: it's Evilyn." 

"Evilyn who?" he pressed. 

"Skotádi." I said. 

"Greek." 

"So?" I snapped. 

"One word out of you about us and you'll never be heard from again. I supose you know how easily I could hurt you?" 

"But you would think twice." I smirked. 

"Hardly." he grabbed my neck, pushing my back against the oak tree. "You are just one more human. You mean nothing. Típota!" he repeated the last word in Greek. 

"And your just one vampire." My voice cracked because he was holding tightly onto my neck. I managed a smile. "You don't scare me." 

"You should be scared." his hand dropped my neck. 

"Well, if anyone turns up dead I'll know -" he snatched my wrist as I brushed my hair out if my line of vision. 

"That if you let a word out you'll never see the daylight again." 

"Zane!" It was Declan. Zane looked up and threw my arm painfully down to my side. My wrist throbbed but I didn't show any sign of weakness. 

"I'm not afraid of you." I whispered to Zane as Declan approached. 

"Then you will be." he kept a stony face as I walked by. My backpack hit his leg and I ignored it, and climbing into my car, i drove home early after a snack at Starbucks. 

   I reached my brother after hearing the last few phrases of his convorsation - or dissagreement - with Evilyn. There was a book lying near his feet that he took no notice of. I bent and picked it up, sliding it inti my bag as Zane was occupied with watching Evilyn drive away in her car. 

"What was that about?" I asked. 

"She knows about us." Zane muttered. 

"Which 'us'?" 

"The vampiric one." I didn't let my surprise cross my face. If I did my brother would be shown a weakness. And when Zane knows your weakness, there's no escape from him. He's powerful - and usually the smarter one. My fear for the girl rose a bit. 

"How does she know?" 

"You should find out." he replied. 

Chap: 2 

   When I woke up the next morning I was relieved. My thoughts were flooded with nightmaric visions of death. I suspected it wa because of my reunion with the creatures that I both fear and admire, but I couldn't be sure. Who was to say Zane didn't have as much power as to simply implant visions in my head? No one. He seemed strong from the moment I met him. But how strong is strong? 

   After washing my hair I slowly went through my morning routine (shower, teeth, hair.) and ended up sitting in front of my closet. I didn't know what to wear. This actually happened quite often, usually resulting in my being late. I decided on a thin, see through longsleeved red shirt. I wore a white cami underneath, and my leather jacket on top once again. After thinking about it, I pulled on a white scarf. I found my new, darkwash bootcut jeans and put them on with my black Converse. 

"Time to go." I muttered to myself. I grabbed an apple and a water bottle before bolting out the door. 

"Evilyn!" my dad yelled after me. 

"What?" he didn't respond, just threw me a silver can. It was pepper spray. "What the hell is this for?" 

"Read the paper for once in your life." he turned around and I winced as he slammed the door. Thanks, Dad. 

Picking up on impulse, I drove to the closest place to school that would be able to see me a paper. The lady took my dollar and handed me my newspaper. 

'MISSING GIRL FOUND' I looked down at the article. 

'After being declared missing two days ago after a school get-togeather, Lancy James (21) was found in the woods near the party site. 

Leading up to this point, nothing of this nature has occured in over a year. James was found, her body torn and broken in clear view, hanging by the arm from a branch of a tree. There were lacerations and bites covering her body, but no suspects, or -' I stopped reading. I knew what it was. But the poliece didn't have a clue. 

I found Declan in first class. 

"Do you know anything about this?" I asked in a whisper, showing him the paper. 

"Believe me or not, I don't." he shook his head, looking up at me. He was writing something on a paper in front of him. "Oh. And you dropped this when you left yesterday." I guess the look on my face said I had no clue what he was talking about, because he smiled. "Your diary." 

"You didn't -" 

"I would never read it." he shook his head and handed me the green book. 

"Sorry. Thank you." I blushed. I grabbed the book and walked up a row to my seat as other students started flowing through the door. 

And as I looked at the leafs falling from the tree, I saw Zane climbing into his car. He saw me. I held up the newspaper for him to see. He shrugged. 

"Was it you?" I mouthed. 

"Nope." he smiled. I rolled my eyes and threw the paper onto my desk. He smirked as he watched and drove away. But the emotion left in me was a strong heartache. A longing one. 

The smirk fell from my face as I drove away from the school building to be replaced by one of anger. Some idiot kid had dropped his crayons in the middle of the road. After breifly conciderig running him over, I swung the wheel to my left and drove over the curb and through the grass to the road beyond the kid. 

"I̱líthio ánthro̱po." I shook my head. 

   I was actually concerned about Evilyn. I was burnning to know who told her about us. Vampires. Vampír. She said her last name was Skotádi - the Greek word for darkness. Could it have possibly been a family member who had told her? 

   My curisoity was at a peak. Declan said he would find out. It's just a question of if he actually will. I decided I wouldn't trust him - I'd just find out myself.

   When the day was over I was ready to confront Zane. But I didn't see him or even Declan after school. I climbed in my car, a bit disappointed. 

   Dinner was quiet, and I spun my fork around in my mashe potatoes. I thought I saw something, and pushed a spoonful aside. Something red was seeping out, over the white potato and onto my plate. I touched it with my index finger and licked it. Blood. 

   Knowing Zane was probablly stronger than I thought, I kept my cool, though I wanted to scream. He would be trying to show me his power. Sure enough, I looked to the window and there sat a black crow. The eyes were Zane's. I looked upto my Dad. He looke at me. 

"Scared of a bird?" 

"No. Just curious." Zane was pushing illiousions into my head. My Dad had no idea. Any horror he could make me believe was only visible to me. The burden was only mine to bare. 

Words you may not know: 

Prostasía - protection (Greek) 

Sotíras - savior (Greek) 

Kyr pétra - sun stone (Greek) 

Skotádi - darkness (Greek) 

Típota - nothing (Greek) 

I̱líthio ánthro̱po - idiotic humans (Greek) 

Vampír - vampires (Greek) 

Names: 

Main characters: 

Evilyn 

Declan and Zane Sitíras (Brothers) 

Tristan (Evilyn's EX boyfriend) 

Other Characters: 

Niki (Evilyn's best friend [Níki means victory in Greek] since 9th grade) 

Shen (Has a crush on Evilyn [name means deep thinker])

Continue Reading