Hera

By Joyce_Balagtas

The only living daughter, and heir to the Lestrange name, Cassiopeia-Hera Lestrange the second, had much to l... More

{Prologue}
{Chapter One}
{Chapter Two}
{Chapter Three}
{Chapter Four}
{Chapter Five}
{Chapter Six}
{Chapter Seven}
{Chapter Eight}
{Chapter Nine}
{Chapter Ten}
{Chapter Eleven}
{Chapter Twelve}
{Chapter Thirteen}
{Chapter Fourteen}
{Chapter Fifteen}
{Chapter Sixteen}
{Chapter Seventeen}
{Chapter Nineteen}
{Chapter Twenty}
{Chapter Twenty-One}
{Chapter Twenty-Two}
{Chapter Twenty-Three}
{Chapter Twenty-Four}
{Chapter Twenty-Five}
{Chapter Twenty-Six}
{Chapter Twenty-Seven}
{Chapter Twenty-Eight}
{Chapter Twenty-Nine}
{Chapter Thirty}
{Chapter Thirty-One}
{Chapter Thirty-Two}
{Chapter Thirty-Three}

{Chapter Eighteen}

2.8K 97 23
By Joyce_Balagtas

There was a heavy feeling in Cassiopeia-Hera's chest, days after the encounter with Blaise. She avoided him like the Black plague, so he wouldn't corner her again, and push for answers. That day, she sat with Elena in Great Hall for breakfast in the chilly Saturday morning. The ceiling was enchanted to resemble the grey sky that hovered above Hogwarts that very hour.

Elena fixed her scarf around her neck, and secure the beanie covering her silky ebony tresses, to shield her from the cold outside. Hera, on the other hand, made sure to charm her hair so that it wouldn't frizz up in the cold weather, and return to its curly form. She enchanted her beanie too, so that it would help protect her hair from the moisture from the humid air. Her outfit had to stay perfect, and would not dare to have any of the articles of clothing ruined.

Hogsmeade weekend had finally arrived, and Elena was beaming with excitement. It was the girls' first time ever, going to Hogsmeade, save from the times the train had made its brief stops. Hera had heard plenty praises about the small wizarding village, and all that it contained, especially about the Three Broomsticks and the butterbeers that they served, and there were plenty other stores to explore.

But Hera did not find herself as excited as Elena, she fiddled with the edge of her sleeve as she held her permission slip in her clammy hands, her gaze was cast down onto the table as her best friend kept rambling about all the things she'd have to get as soon as they set foot into Hogsmeade. A feeling of uneasiness settled into Hera's stomach as she thought of what her uncle might want to discuss with her. They were to meet at the Three Broomsticks.

"Elena, I don't think I can go to Zonko's with you. Uncle Lucius wants to meet at the Three Broomsticks." Brown eyes darted from side to side, looking for the blonde hair of her cousin.

The Asian girl stopped her rant, and looked to her friend. "Well I could come if you want-"

"No, no. I'm sure it's just a family matter of sorts.  I could meet you at Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop afterwards, if you'd like me to?" Hera asked hesitantly, just to ease Elena off.

"Alright, but-" The girl was cut off by an intruding cough. Both girls turned in their seats, only to Draco and his two goons standing behind them, Blaise was nowhere to be found. Pang of disappointment vibrated in Hera's chest, but she was visibly relieved that he wasn't around. She could not face him without feeling awkward.

Draco nodded towards the doors of the Great Hall, "Let's get going, Cass. Father will be waiting for us."

Hera walked alongside Draco, on their way to The Three Broomsticks. The snow crunched under their boots, and all around them their fellow school mates were enjoying themselves, bursting out in spurts of laughter. A sweet aroma enveloped the two cousins as they walked past Honeydukes, making Hera's mouth yearn for the sweet treats.

Draco went on about the Slytherin tryouts. "There were plenty trying out since most of the team had finished last year. Could you believe it? Blaise made it for chaser, never would have guessed it."

Of course, Hera would have known. His love for quidditch was so evident, it's no surprise that he would make it onto the Slytherin team, as Chaser no doubt. Hera smiled at the bittersweet memory of Blaise, looking goofy with the green and white paint, painted onto his cheeks, while he would be screaming out cheers for the Slytherin team on the stands.

"What are you smiling for?" Hera snapped out of her daze, cheeks reddening. She composed herself, rolling her eyes at her cousin.

"Absolutely nothing that you should concern yourself with." She huffed, catching sight of The Three broomsticks sign. "We're here, might as well not leave Uncle Lucius waiting."

The duo entered the small pub, filled with Hogwarts students enjoying a pint of butterbeer, and a couple of other adults minding about their own business. In the corner, sat Lucius in a booth, secluded from all else, and waiting for his  son and niece. Draco and Hera joined Lucius in the booth, a waitress came and took their orders of butterbeer.

"Father." "Uncle Lucius." They both greeted the blond-haired man. He greeted them both with a nod. Draco seemed the happiest to see his father, as he started listing off all the things that had happened in the time they haven't seen each other, whilst Hera, sat back and listened to the conversation between both father and son.

"Potter was attacked on the train by dementors, poor bloke. He must be a magnet for all sorts of bad luck." Draco snickered to himself, "Then that bloody hippopotamus-"

"Hippogriff." Hera corrected him.

"Hippogriff, attacked me! All because of that filthy beast they call Hagrid. I don't even know why they hired him as a professor." Draco spoke arrogantly, taking a sip of his butterbeer as he talked.

Lucius hummed in response, "Dumbledore is running Hogwarts like a pack of dogs. Letting primitive beings like that as teachers, he doesn't think."

The conversation continued on for another twenty minutes, before Draco excused himself to join Crabbe and Goyle, on their escapade to Honeydukes and Zonko's. Hera was left with Lucius, she toyed with her thumbs under the table and avoided eye contact with her uncle, a feeling of nervousness grew in the pit of her stomach.

"Cassiopeia," His voice was low and authoritative, "I will have to keep this brief, but you will not utter this to anyone else."

Hera nodded her head, still not looking at her uncle. "Cassiopeia-Hera, you will look at me, when I am talking to you." Lucius said firmly, immediately getting the attention of Hera's eyes.

"You are called for duty, and we need your assistance." "Duty?"

"The Dark Lord commands for your prescence, it is vital in his revival, he's alive but weak. With your help, he'd have eyes and ears, everywhere."  Lucius sat back in his seat, and took a sip from his cup, "It is essential that you take this task."

The heavy feeling in her stomach grew, and the ball in her throat seemed to become bigger. She paled at the mention of the Dark Lord's name. Her fists were clenched under the table as she tried to maintain a straight face, just as her Aunt Narcissa had taught her. "I-I don't know what to say."

"You do not have a choice Cassiopeia, this task...this task will make both Rodolphus and Bellatrix proud of you. They stood in the front lines amongst the Death Eaters. It is one of the greatest honours, working in the favour of the Dark Lord." Lucius spoke, making sure to mention the young girl's parents, knowing it would play on her heart strings due to her loyalty to her parents.

"My...my parents?" This was the first time that Lucius had talked to her about her parents upfront. There were times Narcissa would mention her mother, Bellatrix, but then would brush it off as quickly as she had mentioned it. Hera's heart started to beat faster in her chest. "What is the task?"

"You'll have to become an animagi, it may be a long process, but it will serve very useful for the Dark Lord." His voice was low, such that no one else could hear him but Hera. He handed Hera a sealed letter. "All things will be sorted out, all you have to do is follow these instructions very carefully, and we can take you on from there."

Lucius stood up from his seat and smoothed out his robes, retrieving his cane from the side of his chair. "Don't disappoint me, Cassiopeia."

And with that, Lucius left.

Hera found herself walking to Scrivenshaft's, her feet walking one after the other. The letter was heavy in her coat pocket, and she felt numb after that meeting with Lucius, her glove-covered hands felt clammy and she felt uncomfortable in her coat. She entered the store, immediately becoming enveloped by the smell of parchment paper and ink. The bell on the door alerted everyone inside of her prescence.

There were a few Hogwarts students lingering about, looking for stationary, and Professor Flitwick stood by the counter, conversing with an older, graying man.

The young slytherin, walked through the isles of parchment, quills, inkwells and plenty of other stationery, looking for her best friend, but to no avail, Hera couldn't find any sign of the Asian girl. Just about to give up, the bell on the door signalled another customer coming in, and lo and behold, Elena walked in with two parchment bags with the Honeydukes sign printed on the outside of the bag. Elena immediately went over to Hera, and handed her one of the bags.

"I figured you'd want something sweet, sorry for taking so long." Elena brushed off the snow on her arms, and flashed Hera a genuine smile. "Anyway, how was the meet with your uncle?"

"I'd like to say brief, Draco left after ten minutes, probably to cause some mayhem somewhere." Hera opened the bag, and popped a caramel roach into her mouth. "Thank you for the candy, Elena. You have no idea how much I needed it."

"Oh, but I did." She winked, she started to walked around looking for quills. "So, praytell, why did your Uncle want to meet with you? It's not like him to even acknowledge your presence, no offense."

Hera shook her head, fixing her straight hair under her beanie. "None taken, but it's just some family stuff. He mentioned my mum and dad though."

Elena stopped in her tracks, and put down the quill she was holding in her hands. "And? What did he say?"

"Something about doing them proud, but what use would it be if they won't be here to see me." Hera inspected a few inkwells, making sure not to make any eye contact with Elena. Although she was good at concealing her emotions, Hera didn't want to be caught in a lie with her best friend, who knew her through and through.

"Ah," Elena cast her gaze back to the quills on display, weighing one of them in her hands. "It makes no sense though, you know? He asks to meet with you, then he tells you about your parents, a topic that both him and your aunt have been dodging. Something's fishy, Hera."

"Fishy?" The girl laughed, the way Elena talked, was as if she was from another world.

"Yes, fishy. I think he's trying to set you up with someone, and marry you off to some old bat." Elena turned around and looked at her best friend with wide eyes, in such a comical way, that Hera couldn't contain her laughter.

"I'll remember to make you my maid of honour."  She snickered, hiding the lower half of her face with her hand.

"Maid of honour? Who's the lucky man?" A snide voice came from behind Hera, making her turn around to see the source of the voice, who uneventfully turned out to be Pansy, followed by Millicent, who really did not look like she wanted to be found anywhere near the pug-faced girl. "Or should I say...unlucky?" She laughed to herself.

"Save the snide comments, Parkinson. None of them are appreciated." Elena barked at Pansy, who feigned offence.

During their first year, before their friendship had sprouted, Pansy and Elena were both considered to be quite close. Unsure of what had happened over the Christmas break, the two were no longer on friendly terms. It was quite evident that Elena held a high disliking for the Parkinson girl. After their falling out, Hera and Elena became friends, around the time Blaise and Hera had ended their friendship. It was as if fate put the two girls together. Either way, Hera was grateful to have a friend like Elena, who stood up for her when she needed it most, and knew how to understand her.

"Heiress of Mahoutokoro, standing up for the Azkaban's next inmate? What a surprise...I do hope you don't bring down Japan in the midst of your reign." Pansy held a coy smile on her lips. "Either way, not like she'd have to do much. Cassiopeia-Hera, Azkaban associate. She was probably behind the escape of Sirius Black, her mother's cousin, no less!"

Hera knew to keep her mouth shut, she did not want to keep drawing anymore attention to herself. She clenched her fist, her nails digging into her palm.

"That's enough, Pansy." Blaise walked up to the scene, followed by Theodore Nott, a fellow Slytherin in their year. "No one wants to hear you whine anymore. Why don't you go run along, and find Draco, I heard he's looking for you."

Pansy's eyes sparkled at the mere mention of Draco's name, she gave both Hera and Elena a glare before hurrying out of Scrivenshaft's with Millicent following close behind. Hera and Elena turned to Blaise and Theo, both their eyebrows raised.

"Hard to believe you're in this store, when all the quidditch supplies is just next door, Zabini." Elena folded her arms, eying the dark-skinned boy, skeptically. "What are you doing in Scrivenshaft's?"

Blaise shrugged, "Theo and I are exploring the village, it's good to get accustomed to your surroundings." He also lifted up the small package he held in his hand. "I also picked up a few things, wouldn't hurt stocking up on a few stationary."

Elena couldn't believe Blaise, but she kept her mouth shut and nodded her head. She took the quill she was holding and a few other things from the shelf before gesturing to Hera that she wanted to get to the counter. Not wanting to stay around Blaise any longer, Elena left without Hera, who stayed back.

Hera felt small, as she stood with Theo and Blaise, feeling both of their eyes on her. She cleared her throat and composed herself, giving the two boys a nod, and turned around to join Elena at the front desk. She walked a few steps before she stopped in her tracks and turned around to look at the two boys who both had their backs turned towards her and ready to leave. "Blaise," She called out, catching the boy's attention. "Thank you."

Blaise stopped for a brief moment, before smiling to himself, and leaving the store.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 29.4K 88
She was born in the evilest prison ever created. She was taken away only after a few minutes of breathing. She was the only daughter of the wickedest...
63.2K 1.7K 21
[BOOK 1] "She cannot stay here, Narcissa," "She's our niece, Lucius! Where else do you expect her to go?" "Send her to live with that other sister of...
61.6K 1.2K 23
{THIS STORY IS COMPLETED} Seraphina Malfoy, daughter of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, sister to Draco Malfoy, has been chosen by Lord Voldemort to carr...
8.3K 120 18
The Malfoy's daughter is unappreciated and sent away as much as possible. She spent lots of time with her aunt Bellatrix, but not even Bellatrix like...