THE TEKULA PROJECT

By TheAllieL

(COMPLETED | UNDER EDITING) Fresh out of college, Veronica Odair is hired as a forensic scientist at the infa... More

001
002
003
▪3▪ (OLD VERSION)
▪4▪
▪6▪
▪7▪
▪8▪
▪9▪
▪10▪
▪11▪
▪12▪
▪13▪
▪14▪
▪15▪
▪16▪
▪17▪
▪18▪
▪19▪
▪20▪
EPILOGUE
SEQUEL

▪5▪

86.7K 3.9K 2.1K
By TheAllieL

DAY 11
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 4

I exit the elevator and begin my journey through Level 4's hallways, looking for Dr. Vanderwall's office. Level 4 is apparently just office space for the higher-ranking doctors and scientists. The only reason I have been granted access to this floor is because of Project Tekula's strange reaction to me.

According to Dr. Anderson, he is normally very aggressive and never lets anyone near him, let alone go near someone on his own. Because of this observation, I am being evaluated as a potential asset to the project.

Their plan is to use me as a mediator between them and the Project. I will be the one to ask him questions, take samples, etc. All the basic tasks, mostly.

How do I feel about this? Well, I think I'm just lucky. Who is to say he won't attack me the next time we meet? Maybe this whole scenario is just a one time thing? I am honestly terrified about my new job requirements.

After the Project's escape yesterday, I was taken to the infirmary (apparently we have one of those) for testing and evaluation before being released back to my lab. There, I met with my fellow team members, who questioned me endlessly on my interaction with the project.

A few hours later, long after I normally leave, I was allowed to go home. This morning I was given Level 5 access and sent straight to Level 4 to be informed of my new assignments.

I finally reach a door with Dr. Vanderwall's name on it. I enter to see a fancy office with expensive fixtures and a large wooden desk. Across the room is a circular table that has all three doctors already sitting, presumably waiting for me.

"Ms. Odair, glad you could make it," Dr. Vanderwall greets. I nod my head and say a quick greeting in reply before sitting down in the only available seat left.

Dr. Vanderwall continues: "The Project's reaction to you was quite remarkable and, as you well know, we plan to use that to our advantage. The plan now is to inform you of everything we know about The tekula Project." He slides me a large file with THE TEKULA PROJECT written in bold red letters across the front. I begin to flip through the pages.

"As you can see, the Project is a lycanthrope." This time, it is Dr. Anderson who speaks.

So, I was right. He really is both wolf and human. I continue to flip through the pages. I see a picture of the same man I saw yesterday, and beside that picture is one of a large wolf. There are multiple pictures of the wolf: from both sides as well as the front.

"The lycanthrope can phase from human to wolf, and wolf to human at will; although, feeling threatened can cause the phase to happen involuntarily," Dr. Lansburry adds.

I nod my head. "Did you create him?" I ask.

"Create him? No," Dr. Conner scoffs. "We found him."

"Found him? Like, out in the wild?" I ask.

"Where else? He was deep in the woods in Alaska. He was an abnormally large wolf, so an organization called Global Relief brought him in. It was only when he turned into a man that we were given jurisdiction," Dr. Conner says.

"Have you tried speaking with him?" I ask, still astonished that this is really happening. "Are there more out there?"

"Not that we know of. He seems mostly animal, no matter his appearance. This is where you come in," Dr. Vanderwall says, setting his elbows on the table and leaning forwards in his chair.

"Alright, so I am going to ask him questions, yes?"

"We will give you a list of questions we want you to ask him, but I doubt we make any progress today. The Project has never spoken before," Dr. Anderson says. I nod my head and purse my lips. This is going to be tricky.

▪▪▪

DAY 11
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 5

"This is the list of questions you will be using," Dr. Anderson says, handing me a sheet of typed questions. They are fairly normal:
1. What are you?
2. Where do you come from?
3. Are there more of you?

Just what you would expect, I suppose. I breathe out through my nose as I prepare to enter the room. I will not be in the same room as the Project, there will be a glass wall separating his cell and me.

I open the door to see only a table and chair with a wall that is completely covered by a curtain. The kind of curtain like what is used in hospital rooms.

"On the other side of the curtain is the Project. Now, he can only hear you when that red light is flashing," he says, pointing to a speaker. "Same goes on his side." He hands me a small remote. "Press the on button and the light will come on, letting you hear each other, okay?"

"Yes, sir."

"Very good." He lays a gentle hand on my shoulder. "We will be watching through the cameras, so don't worry. You may remove the curtain whenever you are ready. You have 20 minutes after that."

With that, he takes his leave. I heave a huge sigh and wipe my sweaty hands on my skirt before walking over to the curtain. I grasp it firmly before pulling it aside.

The cell is simple and white. A bed with white linens is the only piece of furniture. On the bed is the man. He looks the same as I last saw him, just rather dejected looking. Although, I would be too if I were in his situation. I sit down in the chair before turning on the speaker.

I realise, now, that I don't know how to address him. I suppose I could call him man, but that doesn't seem right. I clear my throat. "Hello?" I say, deciding to not call him by any name.

At the sound of my voice, he instantly stands up and walks up to the glass wall. He wears a look of awe and apprehension on his face. He presses his hand against the glass and pushes slightly, as if to get closer to me. A frown distorts his features.

"H-hi," I say, interrupting his actions. He returns his gaze to mine. "My name is Veronica."

He tilts his head to the side, as if not completely understanding. I now realise he might have a hard time understanding the English language--any language for that matter.

I point to myself, "Veronica."

He screws his eyes shut and then blinks repeatedly. He stares at me for a long time before slowly starting to try and form words.

"M-mm," is all he manages to mumble.

"Its okay, let's just try Vee. It's a little shorter," I say with a smile.

"M-ma..." I nod my head in encouragement. He looks at me, closing his eyes and biting his lips, as if thinking hard. "M-ma...m-mate," he finishes.

He looks back at me with a proud smile on his face. He points to me, "Mate."

"Uhm, well, that's not my name, but if that us what you want to call me, then sure," I say, slumping in my chair. He smiles at me from ear to ear as if he was a child who had just been given a lolly.

I decide it will be too hard to ask him all of the questions on the list now, so I move on with something easier.

"Alright, so now that we know who I am, who are you?" I say, leaning forwards once more. He looks at the ground and furrows his eyebrows. Well, he seems capable of human thought, though he might not always act human.

I point at myself, "Veronica," I point to him and gesture for him to say who he is.

"The-th..."

"Come on, you got this," I say, smiling encouragingly.

"Th-theseus," he says. "Theseus," he says again, this time with a smile.

"Its a pleasure to meet you, Theseus," I say. It is hard to imagine him as someone with aggressive tendencies. He seems so innocent and happy when he is with me.

"So, Veronica," I point to myself, "Theseus," I finish, pointing to him.

"Mate," he says, pressing his hands to the glass. I stand up and walk to where I am about 3 feet away from the glass. Theseus is taller than me by about a head. He looks to be about 6 feet 3 inches tall.

"V-vee i..." He struggles.

"Its alright, keep going," I say, happy that he said my name.

"Vee i-is...Theseus' m-mate," he says, looking at me with an emotion I can't place.

"I am your mate?" I question. He nods his head frantically.

"Can you tell me what that means?" I say calmly. He starts to bang on the glass, repeating 'mate, mate mate,' under his breath. His eyes look scared, and he gazes at me with anxiousness.

"Hey, hey, its alright. I'm right here. Did my question upset you?" I say softly, pressing my hand against the glass in front of his chest.

A low, canine-like whine makes it's way past his throat and he sinks to his knees in front of me, leaning his forehead on the glass wall between us. He wears a look of utter defeat.

"Time's up," Dr. Anderson says, poking his head in the door. I nod my head and make my way to the curtain.

"I have to go, now. I'm not sure when I will see you again, but it should be soon," I say as I start to close the curtain. He follows me as I cross the room, curtain in hand.

He let's out a low growl as I finish closing the curtain. I poke my head back behind it. "Don't growl at me. I said I would be back," I say.

"M-mate!" He says frantically. Claws elongate from his fingers and he starts to claw at the glass. "Mate!"

"Hey! Calm down! I am going to come back. Just chill, okay?" I say, pressing my hand to the glass. He leans his head against the glass and whines again.

"Be good, yeah? I will see you soon," I say, stepping back from the curtain. I hear his distraught whines as I make my way to the exit. There is definitely something off about his affections for me.

▪▪▪

My fellow team members stare at me in shock as I enter the conference room. Dr. Anderson has a smile on his face and he nods his head at me as if to say 'well done.'

"Well, it is quite clear to me that the Project has some sort of attachment to you," Dr. Vanderwall says drily. You don't say.

"Yes, I do believe you are right, Doctor. He didn't want me to leave, that's for sure," I reply with raised brows.

"I think Ms. Odair should be the only person to interview the subject. Not only did he respond verbally, he responded positively!" Dr. Lansburry cheers with a happy smile.

"Yes, I have to agree with you, John," Dr. Anderson says.

"Well then, its settled. Ms. Odair will be the subject's official representative."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.4K 2.3K 56
"Shut up! Stop treating him as if he were some monster!" Sapnap started laughing "Are you serious, George? He IS a fucking monster!" --- Dream, a wol...
2.9M 72.6K 100
18+| COMPLETE✔️ "Ali..." He sighed, his breath tickling the skin of Alison's neck. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, admiring her beauty, ho...
792 52 19
Has Earned Top Ten Spots in: Shifter, Romance stories, Fated Mates, supernatural romance Finally... he released my legs allowing me to slide down his...
773K 20K 51
I closed my eyes ready for my death when I heard a very loud and dangerous growl, I swear I felt the ground under me shook by it. I opened my eyes qu...