A Daughter's Duty

Da Shanaya_Raj

The time is 1985. The setting is England. Eve Roberts, a soon-to-be eighteen year old, considers herself an a... Altro

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue

Chapter 3

10 3 0
Da Shanaya_Raj

The morning was a hard one as I sat on my bed, trying to process my nightmare.

I walking down the streets in London, looking at shops and dresses and counting how much I was allowed to spend. I didn't remember how I got there or what had happened before. It was as if I had abruptly appeared on the streets.

So far, the dream seemed normal.

Suddenly I heard a loud horn. I turned and saw a red Honda barreling towards the intersection. And, on the other side, was a green colored Toyota in which a couple was sitting. They were laughing loudly, being completely at peace in their own world. The horn was heard again. Their laughing stopped and their eyes became wide. And before they could do anything, the two cars crashed.

After the explosion, two bodies were found, with blood covering their crushed skulls and eyes out of their sockets. The driver of the Honda wasn't anywhere, so it was declared that there hadn't been one there. There wasn't even a license plate on the car. The horns were blown by the onlookers trying to warn the couple. After examining the Honda, it was found that it was brand new, and nobody owned it.

And then I woke up, gasping.

This was exactly what the witnesses had explained while I was hyperventilating in shock.

I had to avenge my parents. After finding out that their death wasn't just some accident, it was the only way I would be able to find peace.

I ran down to the Western Union where I had received the telegram that changed my life. It was barely five o'clock, but it was open. I quickly dialed my Gran's number and said,

"Gran, it's Eve stop I've found them stop I'm joining them stop I'm avenging you-know-who stop Wish me luck stop I hope you're safe stop Love you stop."

I paid the man and went back to my hostel.

That evening I went back to the Espresso Room, and waited for my aunt to show up. I was waiting for about an hour when she came and I whispered, "I'm in, Aunt Delilah."

She smiled. "I'm proud, Eve. Now, let's go to the organization again, just to make it official."

"What are they going to make me do?"

She frowned. "Something I did not like."

I tried to lead the way, but she kept me to her side.

"I know the way." I protested. But the look in her eyes warned me to keep my mouth shut. So I followed her, always making sure that there was no one behind us, and this time she took me to the richer part of Hampstead. Lush gardens rolled down the hills. Beautiful mansions surrounded us. She took me to a white-washed house with gold colored roofs and rang the doorbell. A beautiful melody of bells was heard – again, it was Mozart. The door opened by a man who was dressed like a butler. He looked a little like my friend Andrea – upturned nose, high-arched eyebrows and dark eyes.

"Yes?" he asked in a French accent. "And you are, mademoiselle?"

"I do not wish to be introduced." Said my aunt. "And neither does my niece. You may go and tell the guests here that I am on urgent business."

He gave her a harsh look, but sighed. "Very well." And went inside. He came back after a while and said, "Welcome, mademoiselles."

Delilah ushered me in. Beautiful lights hung from the ceiling. The floor was made of polished white marble. Two flights of stairs led to the corridor upstairs. A thick red carpet covered the main hall.

"Aunt Delilah," I said quietly. "In the telegram, you mentioned a key. Where is it? Or rather, what is it for?"

She stiffened. "We'll talk about this later."

"But –" I stopped. Maybe it wasn't the right time, but I needed to ask. "But if you want me to join this organization, I must know a few things, right?"

"Yes, my dear." She said. "You must. But, as my dear old mother says, time will tell you."

"Its taking too long." I mumbled. She chuckled.

"It won't seem long, soon." She said. "When I first joined the organization with your parents, I didn't have a clue about anything. I didn't even know what corruption was properly. But I waited and soon, everything became as clear as crystal."

"How long did you have to wait?"

"Hard to say. Maybe a week or so."

"A week," I said to myself. "Oh sure, I definitely have that much patience."

Soon, we came to the dining room, and I saw Ministerio Iustitia again – fifteen people sitting around the table, Mr. I at the head.

"Well, my dear," he spoke. "Have you decided yet?"

"Yes, sir." I said. "I'm joining the organization."

A polite applause was heard.

"Good," said Mr. I. "And now, to make it official, sit next to me, please."

The person sitting next to him vacated the seat and gestured me to sit. I did.

"Hold out your right arm." I pulled my sleeve up and held it out. "It will be better if you close your eyes."

I glanced nervously at my aunt, who was purposely trying to avoid my gaze. I closed my eyes, hoping for the best.

Suddenly, white-hot pain seared through my arm and spread through my body. All the air was sucked out of my lungs, so I couldn't scream. My brain functions had stopped, so I couldn't open my eyes. The only thing I could register was pain – and excruciating heat.

When the pain lessened just to the brink of tolerance, I slowly opened my eyes. The smell of burnt skin wafted through the air. I looked at my arm. A small beam balance was printed on it. On one plate was a pile of money and on the other, a sword. Above the beam balance were the words, 'Ministerio Iustitia' written in small calligraphy. I looked up at Mr. I's grim face. In his hand was a burning hot stamp and the hand holding my arm was trembling slightly.

They had stamped me with their emblem.

"What – what was this for?" I stuttered, wincing at the pain in my voice.

"I know it's painful, dear," said Mr. I. "But it is necessary. It is the proof that you have joined us. Go to any nation and show this to their ministry of justice, they'll know that you are no outsider."

The butler came in and handed me an ice pack. "Apply it, mademoiselle. It will make the pain less and make the mark permanent."

"Thank you, Gilliard," he said and turned to me. "Gilliard is our most reliable serva – I mean, helper, Ms. R. Now, Ms. E, did you want to tell our newest member something?"

She sighed. "Yes, sir. Ms. R, the key you asked me about and I mentioned in the telegram had been given to us by your parents." She started pacing around the table. "You see, almost a century and a half ago, one of our former Mr. R's ancestors was Henry Hardinge, the Governor-General of India in 1849 – during the English East India Company's 'Conquest of India'. When the state of Punjab was conquered, the Kohinoor Diamond was gifted to the then Queen Victoria. The diamond was included in the Crown Jewels. Since Hardinge had done her a great service, she had granted him the safekeeping of the jewels. She had given him the key of the locker – the one which I mentioned. After generations of passing it down, it came into the hands of your father. He knew that the safest place for it was the organization, so he gave it to me three years ago. He had told me that if any misfortune was to occur, I was to give it to you. And I will, soon, once you are old enough."

"Old enough? I'm eighteen."

"You will be eighteen at the end of this July." Said Delilah. "And when that happens, trust me, you will have the key."

I wanted it now. The only thing my parents had left me – the family heirloom. But I asked, "Does the Queen know about Dad's death?"

Delilah thought. "Yes, in fact, she does. I had spoken to her personally after your parents' death."

The childish part of me wanted to scream in delighted surprise, You've met the Queen? The Queen? How wonderful! But I refrained. "And she knows me?"

"No, not yet. She will though, once you turn eighteen."

Great! I thought.

"So what do I do until I turn eighteen?" I asked.

"We'll be training you." Said Mr. I. "Our members have been trained very well in every field – how to work with weapons, how to react under certain situations, how to manipulate people with words during debates (a very important skill), how to live in places where there is scarce water, infinitesimal food availability, stale air and little space to live –"

"Excuse me," I interrupted. "What was the last one?"

The man laughed. "I know, it sounds stressful. But you're young, so we'll start small. The vacations are going to start in a while. Let's wait until then. Now, get back to your college. We'll meet on the Sunday after the holidays start. Goodbye."

And I left.

I checked my new tattoo again. The name of the organization was written in calligraphy, but the only thing it did was to make the area of the tattoo bigger, causing more pain for me. The ice pack that Gilliard had given me lessened it, true, but as soon as I removed it, I felt like I was being burnt all over again.

But, the more I thought about it, the more frightened I became. By using the tattoo as a sign of proof and recognition, they had now permanently marked me as one of them – as their property. I was now a part of them, and this was a one-time decision. No going back, no matter how tough things got for me. I had to take up responsibility and avenge Jason and Darrell Roberts. It was my duty as a Minister of Justice, as a Minister Aequitatis.

This Latin was really troubling as well.

"Well," I said to myself. "This is your life, Eve. Just, err – how do people say it nowadays? – go with the flow."

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

7.9K 581 19
Everything that Eve touches dies: people, dreams, relationships. If Eve comes near it, it comes to ruin. Life wasn't supposed to be this way though...
107K 1.5K 36
Life gave me another chance with him and all i'm going to do is break his heart. What would you do if life suddenly gave you another chance to be wi...
1.2K 186 23
What would you do if you were married for 30 years and on your 30th wedding anniversary your husband up and leaves? He never gave you a reason as to...
11.3K 2.9K 43
"Is it possible to fall in love again after being broken?" --- Eve Rogers starts to give up on love but her best friend, Emma Smith, wants to help he...