Teen For Hire

Door ZekeIAm

Reece sticks by a certain motto in life: "If you ever want something to get done, pay somebody to do it for y... Meer

Author's Note!
Casting: Teen For Hire!
Prologue: Life Of The Party? Yeah, No Thanks.
Welcome To Waterford Academy
New Girl In Town
Am I Rich Now?
Author's Update!
Don't Hire For Kids.
Lights, Camera and You're In!
All Work And All Play
A Throwback Thursday
Trouble Is Indeed
Rocky Blue
Meeting Mother Dearest
Spying 101
She's Come Undone.
A Clean Slate

Grease Lightning

82 9 4
Door ZekeIAm

Despite having no particularly new movie coming out this week, the Cineplex was still- much to Reece's chagrin- crowded with people. It turns out that today was the full-day showcase of 'Golden Movies'- as they promoted it on the posters. He had seen those papers throughout the week but he never actually took the time to read or care what it was about, he had assumed it was just another boring poster about some house for sale.

'Golden Movies' are apparently the classic cult films from the 1990s and older, the movies were declared as an iconic turn for their genres today. Like Scream, the one with the killer wearing the most stupid mask the golden screen had to offer.

So because of that, keeping an eye on Sierra Ferrind would be trickier than he thought.

"Can I have 3 tickets to Grease please?" he tried to say as sweetly as possible as he stared at the woman behind the glass panel but seeing her face- something that reminded him of an elderly bulldog- he doubted that she could be swayed so easily.

"Sorry, kid." Her gruff voice suited her face perfectly it seems. "The movie's on in 30 minutes and the seats are sold out."

Reece tried to keep his expression calm but on the inside, he felt a huge roll of disappointment filling him up. "Oh really? I didn't expect this..."

"In usual circumstances, it wouldn't happen." The woman admitted, looking like she was apologetic but it was hard to tell. "But the movie is in the smallest hall here so there are not many seats to begin with."

"I see..." The smallest hall? That was just bad luck. "Thanks anyway," he said, giving a quick smile before pulling out of the queue. Well, maybe it would've been a smart move to book the tickets early on: he underestimated how much nostalgia a cheesy teen musical from the 70s can bring.

Mara was waiting for him inside, she stood daintily against a wall, her red hair oddly syncing into the walls. She smiled at him expectantly though her face changed as he walked closer. "Where are the tickets?"

"Uh, where's Eddie?"

"He went to the toilet. Don't switch the subject."

Reece sighed. "They're sold out."

The girl groaned, clearly regretting her decision to follow them to the movies. Well, it wasn't entirely her decision; she was fairly easy to guilt-trip and convince. But she stayed calm anyways. "Reece, why do you want to watch Grease in the first place? That movie is popular, we can probably just rent it out at Old Jerry's."

Just then, the familiar boy with distractingly uneven hair came out from around the corner wher the bathroom entrance was and stood beside Reece, falling a few inches shorter than him. "Yeah, totally." Eddie had only heard a bit of their conversations but he was already agreeing with Mara, probably because he didn't really want to go here. Like his friend, he wasn't fond of crowds. "We can just rent it out and watch it my house."

"His TV is huge." Mara said in an attempt to convince Reece.

"Plus, my dad is a history geek so he still has those VHS or DVD players."

Reece shook his head, he knew that he had no intention of simply enjoying a movie here but he needed to find a way to make them agree without revealing much. "Dude, your dad is a historian. You're a history geek," he said, his friend rolled his eyes at the statement. "Plus, I..."

It wasn't like he could just tell them that the real reason was to keep an eye- totally not stalking- on Sierra Ferrind. Heck, it took him some pretty wild guesses to figure out that Grease was the movie she was headed for.

He had her Instastory to thank for as she had posted a picture last night of the outfit she had pre-planned for today: a blouse that was bright yellow, long sleeved, cuffs that were too loose to tuck in hands, a rounded collar and had white polka dots in random everywhere. It reminded Reece of some people in 1970s or something. The brown skirt only added to the effect and the leather jacket was just a mismatched dead giveaway to what movie she was dedicating it to.

There were 2 things he considered from the story: 1) the fact that she had to pre-plan her outfit means that she's going to go somewhere around early morning to late afternoon, and since the Cineplax opens by 11, the latter was the only reasonable assumption. 2) She was trying to- and failed- create a 1970s look.

Since Sierra was deathly afraid of horror movies- something she had told him a while ago- there's no way she'd be watching Friday the 13th or Nightmare On Elm Street. With those out, there's only 1 movie made in the 1970s and showing by afternoon: Grease.

Knowing this, Reece couldn't let any inconvenience stop him from doing his job. "I... just wanted to spend some time with you guys, y'know? I know I don't talk that much, I'm the new kid and all but I thought maybe a movie day would be a nice way to get to know each other..." It wasn't the most morally correct thing to do, but resorting to pity usually works.

And so it did work as both Eddie and Mara immediately softened up, he could see the resolve in their eyes crumbled and what remained was just a touch of guilt.

"Sorry," Mara mumbled, her right hand ruffled her dark red hair in, she looked uncomfortable but sympathetic. "I understand, Reece. But...wouldn't a movie day in Eddie's house be more comfortable."

Reece shrugged, keeping his facial expression soft. "I'm a big fan of movies and theatre honestly, I thought it would be the best way to watch it."

Eddie sighed, he gave his friend a defeated stare. "Fine... but, I thought the tickets were sold out? Isn't that the reason why you guys were arguing?"

"I know," Reece said. "I'm thinking..." There had to be an alternative. He couldn't accept anything other than success.

Stealing was a hasty option and it was too difficult to gather tickets that happened to be 3 in the same row. Sneaking in would be too much of a trouble, the other two probably won't be able to keep up well enough- plus one of them was too much of a prude. What other options...

His eyes scanned the room, over and over again waiting for something to pop up in his head. Then he stopped at the sight of the counter. No, it wasn't those appealing caramel popcorn that distracted but the thing behind the counter; the big metal door that said 'Staff Only'.

Even though the cinema was pretty crowded, there weren't a lot of people working in the building. A few controlling the entries, a few washing up the place but only one working at the counter. Wow, that must be hell.

The girl who worked at the counter wore the same signature black shirt like every other staff member, but she looked the youngest there though probably still older than he was. Maybe some college girl. She was very average looking, with plain brown hair tied up in a clean ponytail. Reece noticed that she was somebody who smiled easily, having no trouble to pull her lips up even though it didn't quite reach her eyes.

That was enough to convince him to try something. He'd done it before, but it wasn't something that he would want to get used to.

"Wait here." he murmured to Mara who just nodded absently as she stared at the toilet hard as if willing for Eddie to come out instantly.

Reece stood in line- smoothly cutting in front of two people too absorbed in their conversations to notice him- and silently observed the counter-girl before he'd have to speak with her.

A beige tote bag was on the back counter, nearly empty except for a book and a small lanyard sticking out of the edge. The small strap was a shade of deep blue, the letters UF stood out in white.

Ah, that was helpful.

"Here's your regular popcorn and large soda," the server said, handing over the items to the customer. "Enjoy your movie! Next!"

Reece took a deep breath and walked forward, he could hear that the two people behind him were still busy talking. He cleared his throat, "Um, can I have..." his eyes drifted to one of the panels on the counter, a bright screen promoting a set value apparently. "I'll have a bottle of water, please."

She nodded. "Sure. By the way, we do have some special promotion going on." She gestured to the panel he just saw. "Interested in any?"

His hands felt clammy and somehow the room dropped a few degrees around him, but Reece flashed his most convincing smile as he looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "Well, the only special thing I'm interested in is the one I'm looking at." It felt like the words left a bad taste in his mouth as soon as he spoke it and he had to try his best to resist visibly cringing in front of her. As silly as he felt, he had to try and look like it was complete, utter breeze for him.

And it worked.

The blood came rushing to the server's cheeks almost immediately, the big smile she had worn all morning became a bit shyer, more real. She didn't seem to be able to form her words quickly enough, so Reece had to seize this moment.

"So, which university do you go to? Or is it college?"

"University of Florida." she answered, regaining her composure again. "You?"

"Webster." he answered smoothly, it was where his brother went so it was an easy choice. "That's great, I wouldn't have to search for to see a pretty face."

His smile seemed to affect her even more because she barely responded to compliment but seemed to lose her focus when she stared at his face a bit too long. "Um... thanks." She turned around as if she'd get rid of the blush in her cheeks if she stopped looking. Just a moment later, she returned with a bottle of water. "Here you go. Would you like anything else?"

"Besides your number?" Reece chuckled before saying in a more serious tone. "I do actually. Would do me a favor?"

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously but the curls on her lips tells him otherwise. "Depends. What can I help with?"

"I'm working on a film-making project due in 2 weeks and I know it's a bit last minute, but I would love to have a peek on how things work in the cinemas," he said.

"So... you want to see the projector room?"

Reece flashed another winning smile. "Yes, please."

The girl looked hesitant, "I don't know. My supervisor might be here soon."

"Relax," if that did happen that things might get complicated, but he'd have to take a risk. "We can just see the one for the smallest hall?"

A moment of uncertainty, her eyes looked around for any signs of her feared supervisor. When she found none, a sigh came from her and Reece knew he won. "Fine but you'd have to be careful so the other customers won't see you."

"Thanks!"

"In return," she added, a shy look coming through again. "Maybe... dinner?"

Well, that's another situation he'll have to slip his way out of. "Anytime," he grinned. "Let me call my friends over, okay?"

"Oh, you have friends with you?"

"Yeah, is that okay? I'm really clumsy sometimes," he said with a slight laugh.

The girl looked even more doubtful now but she nodded anyways. "Wait until Harry puts the film on then come here."

Reece had no idea wo she was referring to but it shouldn't be hard to notice somebody going in and out of that door exactly within the time frame of the movie showcase. When he headed back to his friends, Mara and Eddie looked a bit disgruntled but their faces changed immediately after he told them about the projector room.

"That's so cool! How did you do that? Do you have a friend here?" Mara asked like she was excited by the mere thought of meeting another friend.

"Sort of." No way was he going to tell them about practically bribing the server with a date.

"We still have to wait here and stand," Eddie sighed as he always did at every inconvenience.

"Your legs need the exercise anyways," Reece said.

Almost 15 minutes later, a short man with black hair styled horribly went through the metal door and came out 10 minutes after, then the 3 friends headed over to the counter The server showed them through the door quickly, not even making it to the other side fully as she rushed to deal with another customer but not before telling them where the projector for the smallest hall is.

The room was not meant to be accessed by visitors and it definitely looked like it, it was as if the people never bothered to finish the room; the walls were stale gray and the floor was simply cement without any excuse of a tile, the only cool air that was felt came from the cinema hall as there was no ait ventilation in the room itself. There was only that big machine that shot the light through a small window into the giant screen in the hall. There were two others, and it gave Reece the perfect view he needed to see everyone and everything in the hall.

"Okay, this is awesome!" Eddie didn't seemed bothered by the room's $5 dollar look, but his attention was fixated on the projecting machine instead. He walked dangerously close to that thing and would've touched it if Mara didn't smack his hands away. "Ow!"

"Sorry, but you know you're not supposed to touch that."

"Yeah, you'd probably somehow find a way to hurt yourself by just doing that," Reece said absently as he peered through the window, trying to find the seat of that familliar, small brunette.

Eddie scoffed, "I'm not that clumsy."

"Yes, you are-"

"Eddie, you are." Both Reece and Mara said at the same time, though she was quick to add, "We're just being careful, that's all."

"Yes, we are. Remember how you almost lost your hand cuz it got stuck in that soda can you somehow lost your eraser into?" Reece thought the situation was comical but Mara let out a disapproving sigh at the mention.

"That is not true, I didn't come close to losing hand."

"Fine, you almost lost a finger."

Eddie rolled his eyes but he didn't speak after that, seemingly in defeat. Instead, he resorted to simply admiring the machine from a close distance. Mara was satisfied, turning her attention on the screen as the commercials was finally ending and the actual movie started to play.

Struggling to find anybody in the room as the movie wasn't bright enough, Reece pulled out his phone and the much easier, though boring, alternative he should've been doing.

Me: Yo, Sierra

Me: Are you watching a movie? I thought I saw you just now.

The black haired teen observed the sea of people, trying to see if anybody in the dark room checked their phones. And there, at the left side of the hall, somebody pulled out the phone and started what looked like texting.

#1 Priority: Yea

#1 Priority: Watching Grease! How about you?

Reece scanned through the hall again. Nobody else was using their phones.

Me: Me too!

Me: See you soon, I guess.

Then he closed his phone and sat down on the floor, regretting for a moment for not checking first. But at least it didn't feel like he was sitting in sludge. Maybe this whole 'watching-not-stalking' Sierra thing was pretty easy.

Reece felt himself relaxing soon, no longer feeling the bothersome fast heartbeats in his chest that had made him so nervous before. The adrenaline in his veins were wearing off and he could see that this wasn't so bad; Mara seemed to be having fun as she somehow found a plastic chair to sit on while watching the movie through the windows and Eddie was just ogling the projector machine with a fascinated glint in his eyes.

The three of them talked as the movie went on. They asked the most cliche and cheesy questions anyone could possibly think of for the sake of icebreaking, like asking Reece what his favorite color was, or the movies he loves or his hobbies or something like 'If you had to choose one thing to bring during the apocalypse, what would it be?'

At that moment, with the song 'Grease Lightning' in the background and the sound of Eddie laughing at Mara's weird childhood dream, it felt like everything was perfect. Normal. Reece couldn't help thinking what could go wrong at that time, when everything was all right?m

Well... That was a stupid question; A lot.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

The Imposter Door Nichole

Mysterie / Thriller

196K 2.5K 27
Would you doubt your own sanity if you were suddenly blamed for certain events that you had no idea were happening? At first, Dayna thinks everyone...
267 80 23
Growing up in a toxic environment, sixteen-year-old Jay Foster has always had psychological problems, coupled with a quick temper. But one night some...
29.6M 505K 68
"I'm the sexy guy in school, and all the ladies want me. So don't act like you don't. And try not to make it seem like a surprise Princess because yo...
1.4K 29 20
************************************************** A girl named Lexie has always been sort of a loner. She does have a best friend named Kim, who ju...