It's Really You (Newt Scamand...

By MaximoffScamander

There was only one man in the whole world that truly understood you, and he broke your heart. Little did you... More

Chapter 1: Hogwarts Express
Chapter 2: Shorting Ceremony
Chapter 3: Charms and Potions
Chapter 4: Herbology and Transfiguration
Chapter 5: Astrology and History of Magic
Chapter 6: Deffence Against The Dark Arts and Herbology
Chapter 7: Charms and Potions Vol. 2
Chapter 8: Friendship
Chapter 9: Care of Magical Creatures
Chapter 10: Care of Magical Creatures Vol. 2
Chapter 11: Care of Magical Creatures Vol. 3
Chapter 12: Fear and Loneliness
Chapter 13: Accident
Chapter 14: Trying To Move On
Chapter 15: New York
Chapter 16: MACUSA
Chapter 17: Mr. Kowalski
Chapter 18: Dinner
Chapter 20: Inside Your Case
Chapter 21: The Niffler
Chapter 22: The Erumpent
Chapter 23: The Pentagram Office
Chapter 24: Interrogation
Chapter 25: Death Potion
Chapter 26: The Blind Pig
Chapter 27: The Demiguise and The Occamy
Chapter 28: Awkwardness, Talks and Songs
Chapter 29: Credence
Chapter 30: Grindelwald
Chapter 31: Goodbye, Jacob
Chapter 32: Rest

Chapter 19: Inside Newt's Case

3.1K 83 14
By MaximoffScamander

Newt's P.O.V

Mr. Kowalski crushed down the steps of the case, colliding with various objects, instruments and bottles as he goes.

Suddenlly, he found himself inside a small wooden shed containing a camp bed, tropical gear and various tools that hung up on the walls. Wooden cupboards contained ropes, nets and collecting jars. A very old typewriter, a pile of manuscripts and a medieval bestiary sat on a desk. Potted plants lined one of the shelves. Rows of pills and tablets, syringes and vials from a medicine chest, and tacked up on the walls were notes, maps, drawings and a few moving photographs of extraordinary creatures. A dried carcass hung from a hook. Several sacks of feed were resting against the wall.

"Will you sit down." I said glancing at Mr. Kowalski.

He dropped onto a crate hand-labelled 'Mooncalf Pellets'.

"That's good." He said.

I moved forward to examine the bite on Mr. Kowalski's neck with one quick glance.

"Ah, that's definitely the Murtlap. You must be particularly susceptible. See, you're a Muggle. So our physiologies are subtly different." I explained.

I busyed myself at my work station, using plants and the contents of various bottles to create a poultice, which I rapidly applied to Mr. Kowalski's neck.

"Eww..."

"Now stay still. Now that should stop the sweating. And one of those should short the twitch." I said while handing him some pills.

Mr. Kowalski looked suspiciously at the pills in his hand. Finally, deciding he has nothing to lose, he shallowed them.

I removed my coat along with my waistcoat, undone my bow tie and lowered my braces. I picked up a meat cleaver and hacked chunks of meat off a large carcass, before tossing them into a bucket.

"Take that." I said handing Mr. Kowalski the bucket.

He looked disgusted. However, I did not notice, my attention now was focused on a spiny cocoon, which I slowly began to squeeze. As I did so, the cocoon emitted a luminous venom, which I collected into a glass vial.

"Come on..." I said to the cocoon.

"What you got there?" Mr. Kowalski asked.

"Well this, the locals call 'Swooping Evil', not the friendliest of names. It's quite an agile fellow."

As if to demonstrate, I flicked the cocoon, which unraveled, dangling elegantly from my finger.

"I've been studying him. And I am pretty sure his venom could be quite useful if properly diluted. Just to remove bad memories, you know."

Quite suddenly I threw the Swooping Evil towards Mr. Kowalski. The creature burst out of its cocoon, a bat-like, spikey and colourful creature, which howled in his face before I recalled it. Mr. Kowalski recoiled dramatically, but this was evidently my idea of a little joke...

"Probably shouldn't let him loose in here, though." I said smiling to myself.

Then I opened the door of my shed and walked through.

"Come on." I said.

Mr. Kowalski, now throughly startled, followed me out.

The perimeter of the leather case was dimly visible, but the place has swollen to the size of a small aircraft hangar. It contained what Muggles would call a safari park in miniature. Each of my creatures has its own perfect, magically realised, habitat.

I saw Mr. Kowalski step into this world, totally amazed.

I was standing in the nearest habitat, a slice of Arizona desert. This area contained Frank, a magnificent Thunderbird, a creature like a large albatross, his glorious wings shimmering with cloud- and sun-like patterns. One of his legs was raw and bloody, he had previously been chained. As Frank flapped his wings, his habitat filled with a torrential downpour, thunder and lightning. I used my wand to create a magical umbrella, shielding me from the rain.

"Come on... come on... down you come... come on." I said with my eyes on Frank up high.

Slowly Frank calmed himself, lowering down to stand on a large rock in front of me. As he did so, the rain died down and was replaced by a brilliant, hot sunshine.

I put my wand away and produced a handful of grubs from my pocket. Frank watched me intently.

Then i stroked Frank with my free hand, calming him, affectionate.

"Oh, thank Paracelsus. If you'd have got out that could have been quite catastrophic... You see, he's the real reason I came to America. To brink Frank home." I said to Mr. Kowalski.

He, still staring, stepped slowly forwards. In reaction, Frank started to flap his wings, agitated.

"No sorry, stay there, he's a wee bit sensitive to strangers." I said to Mr. Kowalski.

"Here you are, here you are." I said to Frank.

"He was trafficked, you see. I found him in Egypt, he was all chained up. Couldn't leave him there, had to bring him back. I'm going to put you back were you belong, aren't I, Frank. To the wilds of Arizona."

My face was full of hope and expectation, as I hugged Frank's head. Then, grinning, I casted the handful of grubs high into the air. Frank soared majestically upwards after them, sunlight bursting from his wings.

I watched him fly with love and pride. Then I turned, put my hands to my mouth, and roared beast-like towards another area of the case the best I could.

I moved past Mr. Kowalski, grabbing the bucket of meat. He stumbles after me as several Doxys buzzed around his head. Mr. Kowalski, dazed, swatted them out of the way. Behind him a large dung beetle rolled a giant ball of dung.

I roared loudly again. Mr. Kowalski hurried towards the sound, finding me in a sandy, moonlit territory.

"Ah, here they come." I said under my breath.

"Here who comes?" Mr. Kowalski asked confused and kind of scared.

"The Graphorns."

A large creature came charing into sight. A Graphorn, built like a sabre-toothed tiger but with slimy tentacles at its mouth. Mr. Kowalski screamed and tried to back off, but I grabbed hold of his arm, stopping him.

"You're all right. You're all right."

The Graphorn moved closer to me.

"Hello, hello!" I said while strocking the Graphorn.

The Graphorn's slimy tentacles rested on my shoulder, seeming to embrace me.

"So they're the last breeding pair in existence. If I hadn't managed to rescue them, that could have been the end of Graphorns, for ever." I said filling Mr. Kowalski in.

A younger Graphorn trotted straight up to Mr. Kowalski and began to lick his hand, circling him curiously. He stared down at it, then gently reached out and stroked its head. I watched Mr. Kowalski, pleased.

"All right."

I threw a piece of meat into the enclosure, which was hastily chased and consumed by the young Graphorn.

"So what, you, you rescue these creatures?" Mr. Kowalski asked.

"Yes, that's right. Rescue, nurture and protect them, and I'm gently trying to educate my fellow wizard about them."

A tiny bright pink bird, the Fwooper, flew past and came to rest on a little perch, suspended from mid-air.

I headed up a small ramp of stairs.

"Come on." I said to Mr. Kowalski.

We both entered the bamboo wood, ducking and diving through the trees.

"Wow!" He said clearly amazed.

"Titus? Finn? Poppy, Marlow, Tom?" I called out.

Then we emerged into a sunlit glade. I pulled Pickett from my pocket and held him perched on my hand.

"He had a cold. He needed some body warmth." I explained.

"Aww."

We moved towards a small tree bathed in sunlight. As we approached, a clan of Bowtruckles chattered and rushed out of the leaves.

I extended my arm towards the tree, trying to persuade Pickett to rejoin the others. The Bowtruckles clacked noisily when they saw Pickett.

"Right, on you hop." I said.

Pickett steadfastly refused to leave my arm.

"See, he has some attachment issues." I said to Mr. Kowalski.

"Now come on, Pickett. Pickett. No, they're not going to bully you... Now, come on. Pickett!" I said to Pickett.

Pickett clinged by his spindly hands to one of my fingers, desperate not to return to the tree. Then I finally resigned myself.

"All right. But that is exactly why they accuse me of favouritism..."

I put Pickett onto my shoulder and turned. That was when I saw a large, round, empty nest. A concerned look appeared on my face.

"I wonder where Dougal's gone." I muttered under my breath.

From within a nearby nest, I heard chirping sounds and immediately understood what it was.

"All right I'm coming... I'm coming, Mum's here, Mum's here."

I reached into the nest and scooped up a baby Occamy.

"Ah, hello you, let me take a look at you." I said while observing the little creature.

"I know these guys." Mr. Kowalski said smiling.

"New Occamy... Your Occamy." I said to him.

"What do you mean? My Occamy?"

"Yes, do you want to..." I asked.

Then I proffered the Occamy to Mr. Kowalski.

"Oh wow...Yeah, sure...ah ha." He muttered.

Mr. Kowalski held the newborn creature gently in his hands and stared at it. As he moved to stroke its head, the Occamy moved to nip him. Mr. Kowalski started backwards.

"Ah, no, sorry, don't pet them. They learn to defend themselves early. See, their shells are made of silver so they're incredibly valuable." I explained.

Then I fed the other babies in the nest.

"Okay..."

"Their nests tend to get ransacked by hunters." I mentioned trying to educate the muggle.

I, delighted by Mr. Kowalski's interest in my creatures, took back the baby Occamy, placing it in the nest.

"Thank you... Mr. Scamander?" He asked me, croaky.

"Call me Newt."

"Newt... I don't think I'm dreaming."

"What gave it away?" I asked vaguely amused.

"I ain't got the brains to make this up."

I looked at Mr. Kowalski, both intrigued and flattered. Then I thought of an idea that might interest him.

"Actually, would you mind throwing some of those pellets in with the Mooncalves over there?" I suggested.

"Yeah, sure." He said.

Mr. Kowalski bent down and picked up the bucket of pellets.

"Just over there..." I directed him.

After doing so I grabbed a nearby wheelbarrow and set of further into the case.

"Bugger, Niffler's gone. Of course he has, little bugger. Any chance to get his hands on something shiny." I said annoyed.

As Mr. Kowalski walked through the case, I saw a mass of golden butterflies sitting on a tiny tree. Then they swarm upards, mingling with Doxys, Glow Bugs and Grindilows which float through the air.

I moved to another area and prepared a bucket of meat. Then I climbed on a large rock behind the Nundu. Magnificent creature, that looked almost exactly like a lion, but it has a large mane which bursts forth when it roars. It stood proudly on a large rock, roaring at the moon. I scattered food at its feet and purposefully moved on.

A Diricawl, a small, plump bird, waddled in the foreground followed by its constantly Apparating chicks, as Mr. Kowalski climbed up a steep grassy bank.

"What did you do today, Jacob? I was inside a suitcase." He said to himself.

At the top, Mr. Kowalski found a large moonlit rock face populated by little Mooncalves, shy, with huge eyes filling their whole faces.

"Hey! Oh, hello fellas, all right, all right."

The Mooncalves jumped and hopped down the rocks towards Mr. Kowalski, who found himself suddenly surrounded by their friendly, hopeful faces.

"Take it easy, take it easy."

As he threw pellets, the Mooncalves bobbed eagerly up and down. Mr. Kowalski visibly seemed to be feeling better, he really liked this...

While Mr. Kowalski was taking care of the Mooncalves, I was cradling a luminescent creature with sprouting alien-like tendrils. I fed the creature with a bottle, while carefully watching how the muggle handled the Mooncalves, I recognised a kindred spirit.

"There you go, cutie. Ah, there it is." He said still feeding the Mooncalves.

A kind of icy cry echoes from nearby as I walked away.

"Did you hear that?" Mr. Kowalski asked towards me but I was too far away to hear him.

As soon as I finished tending the creature I hurried to check on Mr. Kowalski. I looked for him but couldn't find him. Then I felt cold wind blow my hair and hurried inside the snowy habitat. Luckily I was just on time before Mr. Kowalski tried to touch the Obscurus, a small oleaginous black mass suspended in mid-air.

"Step back." I said sharply.

Jacob jumped.

"Jeez..." He said and but his hand on his chest breathing heavily.

"Step back..." It's said again.

"What's the matter with this?" Mr. Kowalski asked while pointing at the Obscurus.

"I said step away."

"What the hell is this thing?"

"It's an Obscurus."

Mr. Kowalski looked at me, while I was momentary lost in a bad reverie. I turned abruptly away and headed back towards the hut, my tone now was colder, more efficient, no longer happy to play about in the case.

"I need to get going, find everyone who's escaped, before they get hurt."

We left the snowy habitat and entered another forest. I was ploughing ahead, on a mission.

"Before they could get hurt?" Mr. Kowalski asked in a confused tone.

"Yes, Mr. Kowalski. See, they're currently in alien terrain, surrounded by millions of the most vicious creatures on the planet."

I stopped talking for a moment.

"Humans." I said finishing my thought.

Then I stopped once more, staring into a large savannah enclosure, which is empty of any beasts.

"So where would you say that a medium-sized creature that likes broads, open plains, trees, water holes, that kind of thing, where might she go." I asked hopefully.

"In New York City?" Mr. Kowalski asked confused once again.

"Yes." I said.

"Plains?"

He shrugged as he tried to think of somewhere.

"Ah, Central Park?"

"And where is that exactly?" I asked desperately.

"Where is Central Park?" Mr. Kowalski asked me like it was something everyone should know.

I looked at him for a brief moment and then looked at the ground.

"Well look, I would come and show you, but, don't you think it's kind of a double cross? The girls take us in, they make us hot cocoa..."

"You do realise that I can ask Y/n for help and when they see you've stopped sweating, they'll Obliviate you in a heartbeat." I said kind of harshly.

But it was not because I was angry, no, it was because I was worried about my creatures and because Mr. Kowalski looked like a good man and he wasn't afraid of Magic.

"What does 'Bliviate' mean?" He asked.

"It'll be like you wake up and all memory of magic is gone." I said still looking at the ground.

"I won't remember any of this?" He asked looking around.

He looked sad.

"No."

A few short moments later Mr. Kowalski started speaking.

"All right, yeah, okay, I'll help you."

I smiled slightly.

"Come on, then." I said picking up a bucket and heading back to the hut and out of the case.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9K 739 38
In my personal fantasy land, anything is possible, dear. The only downside is that things work differently. Not worse; just differently. / Yes? What...
Selfless By heartstopper

General Fiction

163 13 13
"I love you and I want you to be happy... even if it's not with me" Remus was your first love and you were his. But what happens when you start to se...
21 0 5
Even when things go wrong, follow the light. It will always shine to point you in the right direction. And if it doesn't, you're not going in the rig...
Human By Azure

Fanfiction

552 3 16
"One mistake. I made one mistake that landed me here. With you."