Heir Of Berk | A HOW TO TRAIN...

By HttydFanatic

After a raid that almost cost him his life, Hiccup tries to gain the village's trust and their forgiveness fo... More

One | Outcast
Two | Unfortunate Encounter
Three | Scars
Four | Solitude
Five | Storms
Six | Accidents
Seven | Forgotten Birthday
Eight | No More lies
Nine | The Dragon in the Woods
Ten | Curioser
Eleven | Humiliation
Twelve | Coming Clean
Fourteen | The Raid
Fifteen | Grounded
Sixteen | The Downed Dragon
Seventeen | Dragon Training
EPILOGUE
THANK YOU

Thirteen | Sparring

3.1K 75 37
By HttydFanatic

Hey guys I'm back with another exciting chapter. This chapter will focus on Hiccup and Stoick, not to mention a really cool father/son sparring session. Since Book!Hiccup is good at sword fighting, I figured the movie version might also have some great sword fighting skills up his sleeves, which I incorporated in this chapter.

Anyway enjoy!

-JenniferTjandrajana

Early next morning, Hiccup was woken abruptly when his father barged into his room.

"Come on, up you get. We're going sparring." Stoick announced in a surprisingly cheery tone.

Groggily, Hiccup sat up, rubbing sleep from his eyes. He squinted at his father's retreating form, confused.

Hopping out of bed, Hiccup slipped out of his nightgown into his usual green tunic, fur vest and fur boots.

Raising his hands, Hiccup raked his fingers through his hair. He ambled downstairs, ignoring his grumbling stomach.

When he met his father at the front porch, Hiccup found him examining his well sharpened sword.

A strong gust of wind brushed past, its cold invisible hands blowing Hiccup's bed head.

Shivering, Hiccup wrapped his arms around himself.

Winter wouldn't arrive for another six or seven months, but since Berk was a desolate island up north, the weather was always cold all year around.

Though, in summer it did get warm, but there was still a cold chill that lingered in the air.

"Sparring?" Hiccup repeated, furrowing his brows in confusion. "Um, I'm not sure if that's a good idea-''

"Take this." Stoick tossed Hiccup a thin sword.

The younger Viking eventually caught the handle, finding it surprisingly lightweight.

Hiccup examined the sword. Scars adorned the metallic blade, worn out from the countless times it drove through enemies' flesh in epic battles.

A dragon's head was carved on the handle, its jaws gape open as if letting out a fierce roar.

Although Hiccup had no experience with using swords, he was fascinated by the style and intricate details of weapons. And in the forge, he found it satisfying whenever he sharpened swords or the sound of blades sizzling in the water before he pounded them back to shape.

Stoick then tossed a round wooden shield, painted with an image of a dragon engulfed in flames.

Grunting, Hiccup hefted the shield in his hands.

Thanks to his small weight, carrying both the sword and shield was a struggle.

Dejection formed in Stoick's sea-green eyes as he watched his son struggle to carry his weaponry.

A seed of doubt grew inside him. He hoped this sparring lesson would at least help Hiccup build some strength.

At the age of fifteen, Hiccup was small and fragile compared to his peers, who have gotten growth spurts ever since their eleventh birthdays .

Despite being born early, Hiccup's small stature was no excuse from stopping him to grow into a normal Viking.

At least Stoick hopes. With proper training and perseverance, there no reason the boy couldn't bloom from his awkwardness and small stature into a strong Viking leader Stoick hopes he'd be.

"Why are we..." Hiccup panted, struggling to keep up, "sparring? And this early in the morning?"

The sun was hardly up and wouldn't rise for another hour.

With the sky a greyish blue and a tinge of pink, laced with a thin layer of fog, Hiccup had no desire to be up at this hour.

Being a heavy sleeper, he enjoyed to sleep in whenever Gobber didn't need him up early working at the forge.

Though, sometimes he would sneak early at dawn to work on his dragon catching machine - which was close to finish - before Gobber arrived.

It wasn't like Hiccup was keeping his project a secret. Gobber knew about it, but his cynical comments about the weapon being an absolute failure made Hiccup uncomfortable talking about it.

In the past, Hiccup have crafted dragon killing weapons that ended up breaking, thanks to a few calibration issues he had.

The Mangler was different this time. Hiccup had dedicated a lot of his free time designing, adjusting, and constructing the machine. Of course he hasn't tested it out since part of him was anxious about the weapon malfunctioning. Also, he did not want to embarass himself like the last few times he used his inventions.

Yet, he was positive this machine might work and he'll eventually shoot down a dragon for once in his life.

"The sun isn't out yet!" Hiccup complained, pointing at the dark morning skies. "And since when do you take me sparring, dad?"

Stoick paid no attention to the boy's complaints. He clambered up the hill behind their home, following a winding trail up to the forest in the north.

Of course Stoick had no idea Hiccup spent most of his days in the woods mapping the area, contemplating, sketching, and observing his scenery.

Hiccup knew the woods better than anyone in the village.

"Since now." Stoick replied, roughly shoving a thick branch aside. "Move along, son. We haven't got all morning."

Hiccup exclaimed then ducked as the branch came flying in his direction. A sigh of relief escaped from his thin lips.

Frowning, Hiccup trailed after his father up the hill while he pondered about this sparring session they were going to have.

When he was a child, Hiccup had been close to Stoick; they were inseparable and did everything together. As soon as Stoick's chiefing duties got more demanding, that's when their relationship drifted apart, abandoning the close bond they used to share.

Now after years of neglection, Hiccup was confused why his father suddenly wanted to spend time with him.

Wasn't the village and quest to find the dragon's nest more important?

"I'm not good with wielding weapons." Hiccup grunted, struggling with the shield. "I don't think sparring would be a good idea."

The chieftain said nothing. He continued walking, cautiously walking along a gorge surrounded by rocks and boulders jutting from the steep ground.

The trail then led to a steep hillside surrounded by pine and cypress trees that stood high into the clouds.

Vine snaked around tree trunks and around the dirt trail. Fern peeked between smooth bowl-shaped boulders.

"We'll soon find out." Stoick declared. "Since you will be chief one day, I thought it's time you learn to fight. A Viking is nothing without their weapon. So that is why it's important for you to spar, son. Quickly now!"

Ironically, Hiccup worked in the forge handling weapons of sorts. He should be a natural at fighting, wouldn't he?

No, even he struggled carrying the weapons customers brought in for him to repair.

Never in his life had he picked up a sword to use it in battle. And it was obviously a different experience than repairing weapons in the forge.

Both father and son continued moving along the woods. Hiccup held back any complaints or further questions and kept moving along in silence.

As they moved further, something in the dirt caught Hiccup's attention; footprints.

Curious, Hiccup squinted at the footprints, wandering who - or what - made these enormous, strange looking footprints.

They were deeper than Hiccup's, which had a very distinct, kinda reptilian claw shape. But nothing Hiccup had ever seen.

It probably came from a dragon. Hiccup thought, But I don't think I recognise it. What species could it be?

Distracted by the footprints, Hiccup barely heard what his father said.

"Alright. Let's get started, shall we?"

Hiccup blinked and looked up to find they were in the middle of a gully towered by cypress trees and moss covered boulders that circled around both father and son.

On the ground, there appeared to be ancient runes scratches in the dirt.

Squinting, Hiccup tried to make out what it read.

'BEWARE OF THE DARK BEAST. TURN BACK IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.'

Chills cascaded down Hiccup's spine as he read the text. He had never stepped foot in this area of the forest, and he figured this place may be infested by dragons.

That was why there was a sudden dark, eerie atmosphere about this place. Whoever wrote that strange text must have encountered one of those beasts to warn others of this place.

Hiccup glanced at his father, contemplating why he had brought them here.

"This looks like the perfect place to train." Stoick announced, rubbing his hands together. "Now let's get set up."

By now, the sun was already up, blinding Hiccup from its glare.

Raising his shield, Hiccup placed it over his head, protecting himself against the blinding sunlight.

"Swords up." Stoick commanded, "Shoulders back, chin up. Remember, you are a Viking, Hiccup. A Viking never falters; he stands his ground."

Reluctantly, Hiccup hefted his shield and tightly wrapped his fingers around his sword.

Releasing a sharp breath, Hiccup straightened up and puffed out his chest as far as he could.

He shuddered; not because he was anxious about the sparring session, but the fact they he was in the middle of dragon territory.

Whatever creature that inhabited these woods, Hiccup could sense their presence. He wasn't sure how, but he just had a feeling they were lurking in the shadows, hungrily watching the humans waiting for a moment to attack.

Brushing that thought aside, Hiccup composed himself and tried to remain focused.

Inhaling a sharp breath, Hiccup tried to calm his nerves.

He never sparred his entire life. Worried he might injure himself, Hiccup silently prayed to the gods they'll keep his limbs intact.

Glancing at himself, Hiccup realised his body wasn't protected. With no armour to protect himself, the young Viking suddenly grew anxious about using swords fit for battle.

If he were using a wooden sword, then he would feel a lot better.

But he figured Stoick considered wooden swords as child's play.

Real warriors never use wooden weaponry. Obviously, they could never hold down a battle.

"Okay...but could you go easy on me, please?" Hiccup pleaded. "I don't want to lose a limb. And since we're using real swords, it's highly likely you might chop my legs off if you aren't too careful, dad."

Stoick chuckled. "Nonsense, Hiccup! I won't chop your legs off. What gave you such an idea?"

Hiccup shrugged. "Well, considering I'm not wearing a lot of protection..."

"You'll be fine!" Stoick waved it off. "Now are you ready?"
Hiccup gulped nervously. "Uh, I guess. Yep, let's do this."

Positioning himself, Hiccup circled around the spot, mirroring his father; anticipating for the larger man to strike.

"If you encounter an enemy," Stoick fixed a stern gaze at his son, "you must be ready. You must be cautious because...they'll attack before you least expect it. Ha!"

Caught offguard, Hiccup stumbled backwards as Stoick lunged forward, slicing his sword in the air.

The younger Viking almost lost his balance. Luckily, the tree behind him supported him from falling.

Stoick let out a mighty war cry, pretending he were in battle. He swung his sword, missing Hiccup's head completely.

Hiccup had raised his shield in time to block Stoick's attack.

Struggling with the shield's weight, Hiccup awkwardly leapt forward, driving his shield against his father's.

He leapt backwards when Stoick's sword almost made contact with his knees.

Suddenly Hiccup lost his grip on his shield and let out a pained scream as it rolled onto his feet. He watched as the shield rolled away until it hit a tree and lay flat on the ground.

Left vulnerable, Hiccup had no protection but his sword to defend against Stoick's blows.

Relying on his sword, Hiccup drew a sharp breath.

"Are you trying to kill me?" Hiccup let out a grunt as he dodged another blow.

With no time to retrieve his shield, Hiccup relied on dodging and jumping to defend himself against Stoick's blows.

Despite his short stature, Hiccup had good reflexes. He was quick enough to dodge against Stoick's attacks. Something he never knew he had.

After years of dwelling on his flaws as a Viking, Hiccup never knew he was fast and agile when defending attacks.

Maybe he really wasn't the useless Viking everyone thought he was. Maybe sparring was something he could be gifted.

Stoick glanced at his son, impressed by his quick reflexes.

"No, I'm not. You seem good at blocking attacks. But try to use your sword. A sword is useless if it cannot be used."

Swallowing a nervous lump, Hiccup straightened up, tightening both his hands around his sword.

He tried to put on a brave look. Although, he didn't exactly felt brave inside.

"Now, let's make our sparring more interesting, shall we?" Stoick said in a challenged tone.

Hiccup's hands trembled as he kept a steady hold of his sword.

He was suddenly caught offguard when Stoick lunged forward, his sword almost hitting Hiccup's shoulder.

Grunting, Hiccup swung his sword, trying to block Stoick's attack. He missed and he clumsily dropped his sword to the ground.

Stoick pounced behind him, but Hiccup was quick to back away before his sword hit him.

"Come on, fight me!" Stoick demanded. "You can't cower when an enemy strikes. You need to fight back!"

Hiccup raised his sword and put on a determined face. He lunged forward, missing Stoick, who leapt to the side just in time.

Hiccup wedged his sword deep into a cypress tree. With a grunt, he pulled his sword out of the trunk.

Stoick appeared in front of him slashing his sword.

Quickly Hiccup dodged and jumped, avoiding the blade from making contact with his skin. He wasn't comfortable with using his sword to block attacks, and relied on his ability to dodge attacks instead.

Suddenly he lost his balance and ended up falling on his bottom.

Silently wincing to himself, Hiccup eventually got up and tried to keep up with Stoick's quick attacks.

"This...isn't...fair..." Hiccup panted, struggling to keep up. "You're being a wee bit too hard, don't you think?"

Stoick let out another war cry as he swung his sword.

Hiccup dodged then used this chance to scramble over to retrieve his shield.

Lifting his shield, Hiccup felt at least safer with some kind of protection against Stoick's blows.

"Nope. I am being fair!" Stoick declared as his sword slashed against Hiccup's in swift motions.

For a good ten minutes, Hiccup felt he was doing well. He could easily keep up and he had high hopes sparring might be a new skill of his.

Thankfully, his sword was lightweight, which made it easier to control.

As father and son sparred, Hiccup's heart raced with excitement. He never felt such adrenaline as this.

Heck, he never knew he could use a sword so decently. Sure he needed some work, but at least he was using some kind of weapon. And for once in his life, he felt confident in himself.

He felt like a Viking.

"Not bad, Hiccup." Stoick marvelled as he blocked an attack. "I'm surprised you can use a sword on your first try."

Hiccup shrugged. "Me neither. Maybe it's the sword. It's lightweight, which is perfect, and it's not too heavy to use."

When Stoick's attacks became swift, Hiccup started to struggle to keep up. He had little time to breathe and tried to block his father's attacks as best he could.

His breathing grew heavy as he continued dodging attacks while he backed away. He drove his shield forward, clashing it against his father's.

It was a rather bold move because Stoick then retaliated, his shield hitting the smaller teen hard.

The brunet suddenly lost his grip and stumbled backwards, falling on his back. The sword in his hand slipped away and the shield rolled towards a pine tree nearby.

"Not bad for a beginner." Stoick commented, sheathing his sword. "With more practice, you will get better. You'll have another chance soon enough. Come, we should get back to the village."

Groggily, Hiccup sat up, rubbing his lower back. He sighed with relief that today's sparring session had ended.

Retrieving his sword and shield, Hiccup trailed after Stoick.

Unaware, a dark silhouette lurked behind the shrubs. Then there was a feint roar, which made the hair on Hiccup's neck stand up.

Quickly, Hiccup ran after his father, not eager to know what was back there. Though, a part of him was curious to know what strange creature lived in this part of the woods.

Maybe he could come back here and find out for himself.

XXX

"Did you guys hear about the new dragon training program?"

Lunchtime. The hall was packed with villagers crowding around tables exchanging conversations while they wolf down their meals.

Hiccup decided to have lunch at the Great Hall since there was hardly any food at home.

When sat at a table close to the other teenagers, Hiccup found himself eavesdropping on their conversation. He rarely eavesdropped, but for some reason, the teens' conversation seem to interest him.

"Yeah, I heard it doesn't start in a month's time." Astrid said, taking a bite of her sandwich. "My dad suggested I sign up cause he thinks it will help me with becoming a shieldmaiden. I see no reason not to join."

The twins were bickering over something irrelevant, and paid no attention to what the others were saying.

"Well, I'm definitely doing it." Snotlout declared. He then flashed a flirtatious look at Astrid. "And since we're doing it together, we should train together. You know, alone. Just the two of us."

Astrid glared at the dark haired boy. Before she had the chance to punch his face, Fishlegs interrupted.

"Ooh I wonder who's going to teach us?"

"You guys are talking about that dragon training thing?" Tuffnut butted in, suddenly focused on the conversation. "Cool! We're joining that class. Well, our mom forced us to. Still, it will be fun to get blasted by a Gronkle."

Ruffnut grinned widely. "Or mauled by a Monstrous Nightmare. I can't wait to get a battle scar on my shoulder or something."

Snotlout raised a brow. "You muttonheads are signing up too? I didn't expect you two to be interested."

Tuffnut sniggered. "We're not. We just want to get our first battle scars. Who wouldn't want that?"

"Yeah! Who wouldn't?" Ruffnut nodded in agreement. "Besides, we might probably do better than the rest of you."

Snotlout scoffed. "As if. You guys can hardly pay attention. You have a small attention span."

"If you guys can do well in all the examinations, I'll believe you." Astrid declared with a challenged tone. "Anyway, I'm not only doing this training for title; I'm doing it to get my family's glory back since they're still devastated about the whole Uncle Finn incident. I got what it takes to win this thing. You guys should probably take notes."

As Hiccup listened to the teens' conversation, he suddenly became interested in this dragon training program. If his father could allow him to join, then this will be his ticket to finally proving himself and becoming the Viking his father desired him to be.

In the past, many participants graduated the program by killing a dragon in the kill ring in front of the village.

Only one got to do the honour since the other participants got eliminated in previous examinations.

The whole training proved only the best of the best can win an honorary title and status as a dragon killer while others who failed were not considered fit for such a title.

Usually adolescents between the ages of fifteen to eighteen were allowed to join the program since it was far too risky for children to be handling dangerous dragons.

This year, Hiccup had turned fifteen and had come of age to learn to fight dragons. Hopefully his father would allow him because he was keen to.

"You guys are doing this dragon training program?" Hiccup interrupted the teens' conversation.

He stood out of his seat and walked over to their table. He felt slightly awkward for butting in since the teens, except Fishlegs didn't exactly like his company.

Silence fell among the group until Snotlout spoke up.

"Yeah. Something that you would never get to do."

Tuffnut sniggered. "Yeah! Can you imagine Useless here fighting dragons? He won't survive."

The others, except Astrid and Fishlegs erupted to laughter.

Astrid shot Hiccup a cold glare. She still hasn't forgiven him for the incident weeks ago about her axe. In fact seeing him in front of her made her want to slice his head off with her axe.

"Yeah." Astrid nodded. "It'll be rough in the kill ring. I've heard stories of trainees losing limbs and getting toasted alive by the dragons they trained. It's kill or be killed. I doubt Hiccup can even last the whole course."

The others exclaimed in agreement. Even Fishlegs agreed, though in reluctantly.

"And no one's gonna help you. It's every Viking for himself." Snotlout declared with a smug look. "Not even your daddy can save you from being roasted alive. Only the strongest can survive."

"I can use a sword, you know." Hiccup declared, confidently. Though, not in a boastful, arrogant way. "So, I can also learn to fight dragons. I see no reason why not."

When the teens heard that, they erupted to mocked laughter. Heck, even Astrid and Fishlegs joined in with the others.

"You can use a sword?" Snotlout scoffed in disbelief. "That's hard to believe. Yeah, right. Like the time you 'heroically' used a sword to drive of a Nightmare in that raid weeks ago."

Hiccup lowered his eyes in shame. He vividly remember that day since it was painted so clearly in his mind.

Those children. Those poor, innocent children almost died because of him. All because he had been acted without thinking of the consequences. But it had been a life or death situation, and there was no time to quickly think, but do.

Even though that was weeks ago, the villagers weren't ready to forgive him or even forget that incident ever existed.

Guilt stabbed in his heart at the memory.

"Well, that was an accident." Hiccup said in defense. "Besides, I sparred with my dad and I can actually use-''

"Don't really care, Useless." Snotlout cut him off, opening and closing his hand in a 'chatterbox' position. "You'll never be as good as the rest of us. You know why? Cause you're a miserable, sorry arse who can't fight to defend himself. So why should we believe you that you can hold a weapon?"

Hiccup tightened his fists and bit back his words. He couldn't stand any more of Snotlout's taunts and for once, he wanted to snap back at him.

But fighting back wouldn't make him any better. Instead, he responded with a dry remark.

"Well, I'm flattered. Really."

Snotlout glared at the smaller teen, grinding his teeth in annoyance.

He hates it when his little cousin always responded with those stupid sarcastic remarks.

"Useless, it wasn't a compliment. Now, don't you have somewhere else to be?"

Hiccup shook his head. "Nope. Oh, so apparently you got into trouble with my dad the other day? Gobber told me you admitted to my father that the whole Monstrous Nightmare fiasco was an accident. And that I had nothing to do with it."

The twins sniggered under their breaths while Astrid and Fishlegs just gaped at Snotlout in surprise.

Snotlout pulled down his helmet, as if trying to hide his flushed face. He knew what he did - blaming Hiccup for luring the Nightmare - was wrong, and knew he had to face to the consequences.

But he didn't want to be reminded. He was already scolded by his mother for doing such a thing while his father simply couldn't care less. After all, Spitelout didn't favour the Haddock kid one bit.

"So? Whatever. Everyone's probably forgotten about it." Snotlout snapped, crossing his arms. "It was stupid anyway. Just let it go, alright? What are you doing here anyway?"

Hiccup had to admit, it was kind of amusing seeing Snotlout so embarrassed and guilty like this. Since the whole fiasco with the Nightmare was over, Hiccup felt a weight had fallen off his shoulders. It felt good to know people finally opened up to the truth about the Nightmare attacking the village being only an accident.

Hiccup shrugged. "Nothing. I just thought I'd stop by. Anyway, maybe I'll join this dragon training thing and prove you."

Snotlout raised a brow. "Prove us what?"

Hiccup was already walking away. He froze and turned to Snotlout with determination in his forest green eyes.

"That I can kill dragons like the rest of you."

Turning on his heel, Hiccup walked back to his table.

A/N: In the chapter after the next one, that's when the events of httyd 1 will happen. With my own twist of course. Stay tune for another update :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
12.8K 320 12
Have you ever wondered how Jason Todd felt about things that happened? Would you like to find out? In this story we take a journey into Jason Todd's...
670K 41K 105
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
252K 6.1K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...