My Husband, Whose Heart Belon...

By Mercy198

Christian Hendrix's story (straight out of Coffee And Papers) * * * His heart was broken by the rejection fro... More

Author's note.
1. I can blow a BUBBLEGUM.
2. CHOCOLATES are exquisite
3. CHIPS are crunchy
4. I so hate FUDGE.
5. Wouldn't it be nice to get a PANFORTE?
6. PEANUTS, just the thing I need.
7. The possible life of a MAIZE.
8. BUTTERED quite good.
9. CAKES! Can't believe this is happening.
10. MACARONS, a foreigner's desert.
11. COTTON CANDY, they call me crazy.
12. HOT-DOG. Who says two is equal to one.
13. PIE, a whole new difference?
14. FRENCH FRIES please
15. SCONE, for me!?
16. The PUDDING we know.
18. Someone make me a PASTA.
19. I need a mighty BURGER
20. FAIRYBREADS are definitely not fairies.
21. PEACH perfect
22. One hell of a COOKIE.
23. MARSHMELLOWS won't hurt, would it?
24. ICE-CREAM, cold and soft.
25. TEJUINO, my new best friend.
26. Smooth with a SMOOTHIE
27. RICE KRISPIES for breakfast.
28. Red as a TOMATOE
29. One slice of that PIZZA, please.
30. PUMPKIN PIE.
31. CHAMPAGNE, perhaps a new beginning
32. When WHISKEY could solve nothing.
33: BONBONS.

17. I say POTATOES, you say potaHtoes.

36.5K 1.9K 483
By Mercy198

Harieth

I dialed the number once more before bringing it close to my ear, my eyes now staring at my own reflection in the mirror whilst the makeup and hairstylist kept trying to finalize their work on me. After ringing for a while, it stopped and I brought it down, away from my ear in order to dial once more before returning it close to my ear. Now staring once more at my reflection, I realized a little frown had surfaced between my brows, ruining my beauty. How annoying.

“Why isn’t she picking?” I questioned in frustration and irritation as I decided to dial Paris’s number instead. I brought it close to my ear and the exact same thing happened regardless of countless times I had tried calling them both. For some reason, their phones were either switched off or just rings to infinity. Since the problem with the press blew up, we haven’t spoken and truthfully, I was a bit worried. Are they ignoring my calls on purpose and if so, why don’t they just come right out and say they don’t want to associate with me anymore?

“That’s enough, don’t you think!?” I snapped in frustration at both artists as their constant movement around me finally got to my nerve. They instantly stopped and before I could lash out my frustration at them, Ms. Petite suddenly intervened.

“Okay, that’s enough. She looks very beautiful. Thank you and well-done ladies.” She appreciated as she made them tag along with her till they finally left the dressing room.

I couldn’t care less if I hit a nerve with those two. My life was falling apart and my so-called friends think it’s okay to abandon me in the middle of it. Truly, they’ve never seen the other side of me. Soon enough, they will.

“Are you okay Harieth? You look a bit…”

“I’m fine. Let’s just get over with this already.” I snapped as I instantly got up from my seat and made my way out of the room. Soon enough, Ms. Petite was on my tail.

As I approached the setup shoot, I could see Emerson and her husband. Slowly, I stopped on my tracks whilst staring at them for a moment before my eyes searched for my husband. One glimpse of him and I could see how hard he was trying not to stare at them. An unexplainable sigh eluded my lips as I look away from him, my very pitiful husband. I can’t believe this is now my life.

“Okay. One last shot.” The photographer announced much to my relief and so for one last time, we cooked up a simple smile, all four of us, portraying the happy family everyone might believe we are. How delusional. I just want to get over with this. I just want it to be over already. I’m not usually camera irritated but this moment feels quite irritating. We say we’re a family but I can sense so many secrets between us. My husband won’t tell me the real meaning behind the way he stares at Emerson. I know everyone can see it. It feels like they all know but I’m being made a fool out of. These are the times my most trusted allies are needed and yet, they’ve become unreachable. They used to answer my every call and now… What’s going on in my life?

Finally done, everyone began walking away from the background.

“No, not you two.” He stated referring to Christian and I. So we aren’t done? One look at Paula Petite behind the photographer, she put up thumbs up for the both of us as well as a simple smile. A light sigh eluded me as I returned to my position. It wouldn’t be funny if her ideas don’t have a good impact on my publicity.

“Much closer.” He suggested regarding the position Christian and I were in. My eyes met his once and I looked away, suddenly feeling quite uncomfortable as we drew closer.

“Good. You two have a hold of each other and look into each other’s eyes like you can see the stars in them. Try to portray how madly in love you are with each other.” The photographer proposed and I couldn’t help glancing his direction. If only he knew how untrue those words are.

I’ve posed beside a man before for magazines, posters, adverts. None ever felt strange and uneasy but this moment right here was the opposite. Perhaps, because then was simply business but this was a little personal. God, it’s quite ridiculous how I’m overthinking this entire scene about to play out. It’s just acting and so far, I’ve done quite good. I shouldn’t ruin it and so I drew in enough courage and shifted my eyes to meet Christian’s already on me. As I felt his hand slid onto my wait, I felt a little frozen, unable to move and as if knowing my strange dilemma, his other hand took hold of my hand and brought it up to his neck.

How’s he so calm?

I wondered as I tried to grasp control of my being once more. Just stop thinking. Stop thinking and that was what I finally did, I shut out every toxic thought and just chanted nonsense in my mind. Somehow, it worked and I was able to return to my usual self. I brought my other arm up to his neck and locked both hands behind it. Stare into his eyes like I could see the stars in them, right? Sure. I stared into his eyes and for the first few seconds of doing so, I realized this was the longest we’ve made direct eye contact. For the first time ever, I realized he had brown eyes and the fact that they resonated so much with his looks caused a simple smile, unknowing to me to draw upon my face.

His eyes held so many stories that I fell curious as to what they were. Are they good or bad ones? Which of them is defining his present? If only I could understand them further.

“Beautiful. Can I get a kiss?”

“What?” I questioned with a bit of surprise expression as I instantly shifted my eyes to the photographer, my locked hands, now unlocked and off Christian’s neck.

A scoff eluded my lips as I loosened our seemingly embraced posture and attempted walking away.

“I don’t really think the public wants to see that. Paula, is this your idea of you doing your job?”

“Harieth,” Christian called in a low voice but I wasn’t going to pay heed. I mean we didn’t even kiss at our wedding. Sure a few people found it strange but looking back, I’m glad we didn’t. After all, we didn’t have that type of relationship and thankfully, it will never get to that.

“We took the snaps, didn’t we? Asking for a kiss is a bit much…” My words trailed away as I felt a pull on my right hand, thrusting me back into Christian’s arms. Before I could fathom what was happening, I felt his warm lips lightly lock with mine. Soft and delicate at first, then progressed deeper.

Every fiber of my being stood and time dramatically drew to a standstill. There, as I stood with eyes shut, his one hand on my back and the other cupping my face, I felt every sound go silent until I could hear the fast racing of my heart which by the second grew louder. So loud that I felt it would jump out of my chest. No kiss had ever felt this way before and that fact worried me a bit. I had always presumed sharing a kiss with Christian Hendrix would be terrible and I would hate it but now doing it... it didn’t feel as expected. His lips were warmer and softer than I had thought. The kiss, light and delicate and regardless of how abnormally my heart raced, I couldn’t seem to push him away. In fact, it felt like I didn’t want to. God… when did these feelings start?

Suddenly, he pulled a few inches away from me, turning his head to the direction of the photographer.

“Was that enough?” His voice and question forced me out of my thoughts and frozen position. My eyes lifted up to his face as it dawned on me exactly what just happened. Obviously… it was a show. As his eyes fell back on me, I was unable to meet them directly. A part of me still puzzled by my strange reaction to all this and the other part unable to comprehend what just happened.

“You talk too much.” He stated to me in a whisper before walking away, leaving me to my own confused state of mind. A bit of embarrassment washed over me and as I recalled I wasn’t alone, I tried my best to gather myself and not look so bewildered by what just happened. In the end, I turned and walked away from that place as fast as my legs could carry me.

I shut the door as soon as I walked into the dressing room then rested my back on the door. Thankfully, no one was in and for the first few seconds, I just stood there, the scene from earlier replaying over and over again in my head. The more the kiss scene replayed in my head, the more my heart raced faster and I placed a hand on my left chest to feel the beating.

A strange feeling slowly engulfed me causing me to narrow my brows a bit. This isn’t me. Why do I seem so affected by the kiss? After all, it’s just a kiss. A show. It wasn’t real. None of this is real.

“He took me by surprise, that’s all,” I told myself as I lightly patted my chest in an attempt to calm my racing heart.

Yes, he shouldn’t have done that. He shouldn’t have taken me by surprise. This marriage might be a show but I still very much have a say with what happens with my body. What he did was upsetting in every aspect. I have to confront him. If I don’t, he might think it’s okay to repeat what just happened. With that thought, I drew in a deep breath, I turned in a swift, opened the door and walked right out. I sighted him alongside the photographer as they glanced through the pictures in the monitor.

The scene with the kiss flashed across my mind once more and I shrugged my head with my eyes tightly shut for a second to ward off the thought. When sure it was gone, I opened my eyes and instantly made my way up to him.

“Christian we need to talk,” I spoke up and almost everyone present at that point took a look at me but he didn’t. His eyes remained glued to the monitor.

“Later.” He stated before pointing out something to the guy handling the monitor. The man replied with a nod as he said a few things and Christian said some on his path. He was acting like I wasn’t present and that act infuriated me.

“No, not later. Now… Christian let’s talk now or I might as well let everyone in on our living arrangement. I bet you would like that very much.” I threatened which worked as he took a slight look at me. No words came through next and he excused himself before leading the way to a secluded corner for us to converse.

Once in front of each other, my words felt hitched for a moment at one glance of him. His face held no expression. It hardly seemed like he had been as affected by the kiss as I was. I blinked several times to ward off my worrisome thoughts.

“I have better things to do than stare at you all day.” His voice interrupted my internal conflict which somehow reminded me of the right thing to do.

“I… You had no right to do what you did.”

“What I did?” He played dumb which got me annoyed.

“Yes. Earlier you… you kissed me without my consent.”

“I didn’t need your consent. It was on impulse and you know it.” His words upset me more.

“Impulse?” I question in a sigh as my brows narrow at the unbelievable man in front of me. As I stare at him, it drew to my realization that truly, he doesn’t give a damn about me. Don’t get me wrong. It wasn’t the least bit surprising. After all, our dislike for each other has been made clear from the start but for some reason, the thought of it was starting to feel… a little hurtful.

I gulped down hard as I looked away from him for a brief moment.

“I get it. Harieth Griffin means nothing to you. I’m nothing but a contracted wife. Fine. I understand but… I’m human as well as a woman. I feel things too so the next time you plan on doing what you did, just remember that fact alone and then refrain from being such a jerk.” I explained and without wasting a second more, I walked away and spared no glance back.

I did well.

Christian

“... refrain from being such a jerk.” She ended before walking away and I couldn’t help watching her go. My brows now barely narrowed at her statement. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting this little talk from her. It seems she’s more upset than I might have presumed. In the spur of the moment, I recalled the kiss we shared which forced me to look away from her. The part about the kiss being on impulse was actually true. When the photographer spoke of the kiss, I didn’t see it as a big deal. After all, everything we’ve done so far has been acting so adding a kiss to the list didn’t seem like much. I tried letting her know but she preferred talking so much so I did what was best. I kissed her.

“Are you okay?” The familiar voice forces me to look up and there Emerson stood looking as pretty as always. For the first few seconds, I felt lost and just stood staring.

If only she loved me instead. If only my family wasn’t so messed up. If only… What am I doing?

Immediately, I looked away from her.

“I’m fine,” I replied without meeting her eyes and I could feel her get closer.

“Christian I… I didn’t mean to pry. I mean, I was in the other room and I heard a bit. I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s okay. My situation is no new information.” I added without meeting her eyes and a strange silence followed for a few moments.

“I have to go.” I suddenly stated as I attempted walking away.

“Christian, can I say something?” Her voice stopped me on my tracks and I’m forced to turn back to her.

I watched her release a heavy sigh. A clear nervousness about what she was about to say.

“I understand your marriage with Harieth didn’t originally start right but… maybe if you try to know the real her, you might decide to make it right and in the end… everything will be fine.” She ended and truthfully, her statement didn’t surprise me one bit. After all, it’s the same Emerson I’ve known all this time. She would obviously try to fix everything. She would always want to stick to the good side of everything, of people. A simple smile played at the corner of my lips.

“Maybe… Maybe not.” and with that statement, I walked away, mentally applauding myself for not giving in to my urge of holding her in my arms and letting her know her theory can never happen because I was still very much in love with her. Yes, I’ve been denying that fact so far but now, I admit it.

I don’t think any other woman will ever be able to replace her position in my heart and I know it’s bad to think so. Bad to Lucas and perhaps… bad to Harieth.

Hi guys, sorry for the late update. Exams are drawing close so I'm trying my best to squeeze my writing into my schedule for the meantime. By the way, I hope you loved the chapter. 😘😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 14 13
Rayanne-Rose Constantine didn't get much from her addict mother before she overdosed two years ago. Unless you count her long first name, which is a...
294K 8.7K 53
COMPLETED **be aware i wrote this when i was much much younger, if you want to read a better written story then please check out my current book "ch...
7K 340 43
Book 1 of CATLIN & JACKSON SAGA Catelin Botha a simple [24 year old],girl from South-Africa who moved to America after her legal gaurdian died [her g...
24.2M 848K 81
The Highest Ranking: #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 08-Feb-18 #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 08-Jan-17 #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 21...