A Wolf and A Lion || Jaime La...

By burningballoon

When the King commands Aurelia Stark and Jaime Lannister to wed, Aurelia reluctantly becomes Lady Lannister o... More

Chapter 1 . Aurelia Stark
Chapter 2 - Direwolves, white walkers, and what not
Chapter 3 - A simple conversation
Chapter 4 - The King's Arrival
Chapter 5 - A possible betrothal
Chapter 6 - First Encounter
Chapter 7 - The Feast
Chapter 8 - A Bastard and an Imp
Chapter 9 - One Step to Forever
Chapter 10 - A Lannister Perspective
Chapter 11 - Two Choices
Chapter 12 - One Bastard and One Trueborn
Chapter 13 - Banters and Arguments
Chapter 14 - An Encounter with the Prince
Chapter 15 - A small present
Chapter 16 - A White Summer Wedding
Chapter 17 - Tragedy
Chapter 18 - A quiet morning
Chapter 19 - Tearful Goodbyes
Chapter 20 - Kingsroad
Chapter 21 - Nymeria
Chapter 22 - Kings Landing
Chapter 23 - Breakfast for two
Chapter 24 - Revelations
Chapter 25 - The Night's Allure
Chapter 26 - Morning after
Chapter 27 - Meeting with a Stag
Chapter 28 - Iron Throne and Wolves
Chapter 29 - An unlikely conversation
Chapter 30 - The Hand's Tournament
Chapter 31 - Confronting a Lion
Chapter 32 - Flowers vs. Mountains
Chapter 33 - A piece of threat
Chapter 34 - One Lion and a pack of Wolves
Chapter 35 . Everything Has Changed
Chapter 36 . Tywin Lannister
Chapter 37 . Oathbreaker
Chapter 38 . News from Kings Landing
Chapter 40 . Battle of the Whispering Wood
Chapter 41 . A captured Lion
Chapter 42 . Growing Pains
Chapter 43 . Eddard Stark
Chapter 44 . King in the North
Chapter 45 . Between Worlds

Chapter 39 . War and Prison

4.5K 138 8
By burningballoon

     Catelyn Stark looked upon the grey colored tents surrounding the Neck; the southernmost part of the North that was bordered by the Riverlands. She had ridden from the Eyrie after hearing news of Eddard Stark's capture, and enraged at her sister for not notifying her of it immediately. She had been spending the days at the Vale after Tyrion's capture, and continued to stay even after Tyrion was freed after he won the trial by combat. Though Catelyn knew that it would mean she would lose any hold she has over the Lord who may very well be responsible for Bran's injury, there was nothing she could do that would not go against her values. In the sight of Gods, Tyrion Lannister won the trial fairly after his champion won the combat. He was free to leave, and Catelyn had no more right to keep him as her prisoner.

It was after she heard the terrible news of her husband, did she decide to leave. She was informed of her eldest son, Robb leading an army of the North to the South with the intent of getting his father, Eddard Stark back. Sometimes she wonders if this was the justice the Lannisters are giving the Starks, after Catelyn took one of their own. Now, they took one of the Starks as well as a prisoner.

  "Summer snows, my Lady." Ser Rodrik Cassel said,

   Ser Rodrik has been accompanying Lady Stark ever since they left Winterfell. It was his duty to protect her, and he has.

   "Robb's brought the North with him." Catelyn observed as she continued to look at the thousands of soldiers that came with her son. This was not the outcome she thought would happen after leaving Winterfell. Tyrion was supposed to serve justice for his alleged crimes, and he would pay for what Catelyn believed he did. Now she holds no prisoner of the Lannisters, while they held Ned Stark. There had been no word on her two youngest daughters, and the last she heard of Aurelia was that she has left the capital with Jaime Lannister, and her eldest son is leading an army to war. Nothing could ever warn her about the tragic and unexpected events that has transpired. If Catelyn still had Tyrion, there was a chance that she could trade him for her husband. But now that can never happen.

   Catelyn made her way towards the center of the camp where Robb was currently holding a war council with his bannermen.

   "The River Lords are falling back with Jaime Lannister at their heels, and Lord Tywin is bringing around a second Lannister army from the South. Our scouts confirm it's even larger than the Kingslayer's." Robb Stark announced to his bannermen. They were all entering foreign territory by being in the South, but the position he has placed himself into was more foreign than anything else. He was taught to become Lord of Winterfell, and this past year he has proven to not only himself but the rest of the North that he was worthy of retaining that position. But Robb never thought he would have to become a battle commander, and certainly not this early on in his life.

    Once Robb read Sansa's letter that Maester Luwin corrected to be the work of the Queen, he knew that rallying the North together to fight for his father's release was the only possible way to ensure their freedom. Robb had done nothing when he heard that Jaime Lannister attacked Ned Stark and killed his men. It would have been a foolish act to risk war and march South. He knew that his father would not have approved, nor her mother. Even Maester Luwin supported Robb's decision. Although attacking Ned Stark was an act that should not go unpunished, the important thing was that he lives and none of his sister's lives were at risk.

Imprisonment was different. Robb could overlook his father's attack, but not the fact that he has been kept in the cells under the keep over a false accusation. And after all that, Joffrey still expects him to swear fealty. It was preposterous, and Robb had no desire of changing his decision to raise the North and free his father and sisters along with it.

   "One army or two, the Kings in the North threw back hosts ten times as large." Lord Jon Umber exclaimed. His eyes then turned to a familiar figure approaching the tent. As soon as he realizes that it was Lady Catelyn Stark, Lord Umber immediately stood up and bowed his head out of respect. The other Northern Lords soon followed suit.

     Robb was the last person to turn his head around, and a look of pure excitement appeared on his face as he saw who was standing across from him.

     "Mother!" Robb exclaimed happily, and stopped midway from walking to Catelyn. It dawned on him that they were in the presence of the other Northern Lords. He wanted to embrace her mother, but Robb had to restrain himself from doing so.

Catelyn had left Winterfell with Robb in charge, and it has been months since he last saw her. In that moment, Catelyn thought of how Robb looked as though he was a little boy once more. It was difficult to process the fact that he is now leading an army, and a war council at only 18 years of age. Catelyn would have wrapped her arms around her eldest son as well if it were not for the Northern Lords. It was better for Robb to appear strong in front of his own men, and Catelyn had to give him that.

    "You look well." Catelyn spoke to Robb with a small smile and a look of understanding.

    "Lady Catelyn, you're a welcome sight in these troubled times." Lord Umber commented,

    "We had not thought to meet you here, my Lady." Theon said, who stood right beside Robb.

     "I had not thought to be here." Catelyn explained in return, "I would speak with my son alone. I know you will forgive me, my Lords." She said, her eyesight moving in between Robb and the crowd behind him.

     "You heard her! Move your asses! Come on, out! You too, Greyjoy. Are you bloody deaf?" Lord Umber exclaimed to the others, as they all walked away from the tent, giving the mother and the son the privacy that they needed. Theon was the last one who remained still, and Lord Umber had to give him a small push to leave. "Have no fear, my Lady. We'll shove our swords up Tywin Lannister's bunghole and then it's on to the Red Keep to free Ned." Umber assured her with a surge of confidence that Catelyn wished she had.

     As soon as the two were left alone, Catelyn immediately opened her arms and Robb gave her mother a tight embrace. It had been so long since she felt any of her children's touch, and Catelyn missed it so. Three of her children had to leave her behind when they rode South, and Catelyn had to leave three of her remaining children behind in Winterfell. Now she was only able to reunite with one, and amidst a war nonetheless. But Catelyn needed his son just as much as Robb needed his mother.

     "I remember the day you came to this word red-faced and squalling. And now I find you leading a host to war." Catelyn told Robb when they pulled their faces away from the embrace to properly see one another.

     "There was no one else." Robb said, explaining his choice.

     "Who were those men I saw here?" Catelyn asked him,

     "None of them are Starks." Robb pointed out,

     "All of them are seasoned in battle." Catelyn reminded him that each and every one of the liege lords had all experience war before, and the only thing Robb ever knew about battles were the stories he was told about during his childhood.

     "If you think you can send me back to Winterfell..." Robb talked back to her mother. It was his decision to raise his bannermen and lead them to battle. He knows it is his duty as acting Lord of Winterfell, and as Ned Stark's eldest son. He needed to this for his father.

   "Oh, would that I could." Catelyn said, and Robb moved away from his mother's embrace to walk to the table situated at the center of the tent. It was used to lay out the map of Westeros, providing them with a visual representation of where they need to strike Tywin Lannister's armies before reaching the Capital.

     "There was a letter...from Sansa." Robb informed, as he gave the piece of paper to Catelyn.

     "From the Queen, you mean." Catelyn quickly corrected him, and began to read the letter. She proceeded to sit down on the chair behind her whilst processing the words she was reading. "There's no mention of Arya." Catelyn deduced worriedly,

     "No..." Robb anxiously told his mother, and there had been no other recent news either about his youngest sister.

     "How about Aurelia?" Catelyn asked about her eldest daughter's current whereabouts.

     "The only thing we know is that she's with the Kingslayer." Robb replied with his own worried tone. His twin was all alone surrounded by thousands of Lannister men, with nowhere else to go. Robb can only hope that Aurelia has not been given the same treatment as their father.

     "We have to save her as well, Robb." Catelyn said,

   "I know." Robb agreed, and he plans to. As of now, their main purpose is to reach Kings Landing, but Robb was adamant on saving his sisters along the way, Aurelia included. "If the Kingslayer brings Aurelia wherever he goes, she's the closest to us than the rest."

   "How many men do you have?" Catelyn asked, and the worry in her eyes still had not left. Three of her children are all in a perilous situation. Her eldest daughter is currently being held by the most violent man in Westeros, her second eldest daughter is being manipulated by the Queen, and she has heard nothing about her youngest daughter. How can she not fear for them all?

    "18,000." Robb said, as he took a seat opposite from her. "If I go to King's Landing and bend my knee to Joffrey-"

   "You would never be allowed to leave. No!" Catelyn disagreed immediately. "Our best hope – our only hope – is that you can defeat them in the field."

    "And if I lose?" Robb asked his mother. He understands that there is always a chance of them being defeated, and their numbers are not the strongest compared to the Lannister armies. It'd be arrogant of Robb to believe that he can enter this war with pure confidence that they will reach the other side unscathed.

   "Do you know what happened to the Targaryen children when the Mad King fell?" Catelyn reminded him,

    "They were butchered in their sleep." Robb remembered the story all too well. Everyone does.

   "On the orders of Tywin Lannister; and the years have not made him kinder." Catelyn remarked, "If you lose, your father dies, your sisters die, we die." She told Robb that Tywin Lannister will spare them no mercy if they are defeated.

    "Well, that makes it simple then." Robb commented,

    "I suppose it does." Catelyn agreed, as the two looked on with their own fears growing within them. Losing this war would mean the end to House Stark. Half of their family are now in the hands of the enemy, and they would not be able to retrieve them back easily. Robb was slowly preparing to become the leader he needed to be in the face of the Northern Lords and his mother, and Catelyn needed to be stronger than she already is to face what is to come to their family.

***

     The cells under the Red Keep were as dark as when Ned close his eyes to sleep for the night. It was hot and every inch of the floor was decorated in dirt, and the air filled with a horrible stench. The only sound Ned could hear was his own deep breaths, and the occasional sound of mewling rats. During the time when it becomes quieter, Ned could hear his own heart beating. The Queen had imprisoned him in the Black cells, where no light could ever penetrate the walls unless it was a torchlight.

     Ned was scarcely given any food or water, and there were no visitors nor did Ned expect one. Cersei was keeping Sansa as hostage, and manipulating her to try and trick the North into coming to Kings Landing. As far as he knew, they were keeping Arya hostage as well. None of his daughters would be allowed to visit him, and no one else would risk the Queen's wrath by doing so.

     The sound of the metal door creaking open reverberated against the cell walls, awakening Ned Stark. He could see a blur of a small circle of light by the distance, and the closer it came, the clearer it was for Ned to see. It was Varys, wearing an unusual form of clothing that greatly deviates away from his normal silk robe. This time, he was donning the disguise of a jailer in order to slip through the prison cells easily without attracting any unwanted attraction. He held on to a torchlight, as he bent down and the fire enabled Ned to see his face.

    "Lord Stark you must be thirsty." Varys spoke, as he bent down to Ned's level – who was resting on the floor with this back against the wall. Varys offered him a leather flask filled with water, however Ned was hesitant on trusting the eunuch or not. His position in the small council did nothing to soothe Ned's worries, as everyone in the council would be the most loyal to the crown. "I promise you it isn't poisoned. Why is it no one ever trusts the eunuch?" Varys questioned, as he opened the flask and drank the water for himself before offering it once more to Ned, who took it this time.

     "Not so much, my Lord. I would save the rest if I were you." Varys advised, as Ned immediately downed the water to satisfy his dying thirst as the gratifying feeling filled his throat. "Hide it. Men have been known to die of thirst in these cells."

     "What about my daughters?" Ned asked him the only question that matters to him. The safety of his children will always be Ned's priority, and as of now there is no one to protect them. With his own imprisonment, Ned can only fear for what the Queen will do with Arya and Sansa. She would not be stupid enough to kill them, but he was not certain that Cersei would not torture them in the slightest.

    "The younger one seems to have escaped the castle. Even my little birds cannot find her." Varys informed him the truth.

     "And Sansa?"

     "Still engaged to Joffrey. Cersei will keep her close. As for Aurelia..." Varys said,

   "What of Aurelia?" Ned asked him, as he had not heard any word about his eldest daughter ever since he saw her riding away with the Kingslayer.

  "Ser Jaime Lannister has brought your daughter everywhere he goes. It seems that the Kingslayer has taken a real interest in her. He believes he's protecting her. She was even introduced to Lord Tywin Lannister." Varys replied, and Ned's entire body became stiff. The worst appeared inside Ned's mind in an instant, and he hoped that Varys would say no more of it because there was none. Tywin Lannister would not take so kindly into welcoming a Stark in his presence, especially considering the situation they were all in right now. Jaime Lannister basically gave a chance for Tywin to torment the rest of the Starks, and he could have by torturing Aurelia and threatening to take her life. It would not be the first time that Tywin have given the order to kill the children of a great house.

   "Don't worry, your daughter still breathes." Varys assured him, "The rest of your household though...all dead, it grieves me to say. I do so hate the sight of blood."

    "You watched my men being slaughtered and did nothing." Ned pointed out,

    "And would again, my Lord. I was unarmed, unarmored, and surrounded by Lannister swords. When you look at me do you see a hero?" Varys asked of him, but Ned can only look away and drank the water once more. "What madness led you to tell the Queen you had learned the truth about Joffrey's birth?" Varys questioned him about the act that led Ned to land a position in one of the prison cells.

    "The madness of mercy." Ned told him; however, Varys could not understand at first. "That she might save her children." He explained,

    "Ah, the children." Varys sighed, "It is always the innocents who suffer. Did you do it for your daughter as well? To spare the heartbreak she may experience once the truth becomes known?"

   "I did what I had to do to make sure that Aurelia stays far away as possible from Jaime Lannister." Ned said,

     "And yet, she stands beside him." Varys reminded Ned that he was the one who allowed her to leave the city with Jaime. "You do realize it wasn't the wine that killed Robert, nor the boar. The wine slowed him down and the boar ripped him open, but it was your mercy that killed the King. I trust you know you are a dead man, Lord Eddard?" Varys continued to say, clarifying to Ned that his decision to confront Cersei of the truth in hopes that she will run away with her children to keep their lives intact was the reason Robert died. It was the reason that the Queen asked Lancel Lannister to feed the King a significant amount of wine – more than he regularly consumes –, leading to his untimely demise.

     "The Queen can't kill me. Cat holds her brother." Ned pointed out, knowing that if he is a dead man than so would Tyrion Lannister.

    "The wrong brother sadly; and lost to her. Your wife has let the imp slip through her fingers." Varys informed, and Ned processed those words.

    "If that's true, then slit my throat and be done with it." Ned suggested,

    "Not today, my Lord." Varys replied, as he stood up and walked away from Ned.

    "Tell me something, Varys." Ned spoke, and the eunuch stopped midway to turn around and face the Stark again. "Who do you truly serve?" Ned asked,

     "The realm, my Lord. Someone must." Varys replied with the honest truth.

     With that, he left Ned all alone in the cold cell and brought the light with him until Ned cannot see no more, and the darkness engulfed his sight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

537K 11.1K 34
Falling for Jaime Lannister was the most treacherous act that Joan Stark could commit. She knew her family would never forgive her. But she was in to...
125K 5.1K 47
"To run with the wolf was to run in the shadows, the dark ray of life, survival and instinct. A fierceness that was both proud and lonely, a tearing...
97.6K 3.1K 64
Lya Baratheon is the oldest and only biological child of Cersei Lannister and Robert Baratheon, but unlike her younger brother she is kind and gentle...
229K 8.8K 190
Aelinor Baratheon stands out in her family. She doesn't have the golden hair and green eyes of her mother and younger siblings. Nor does she have bla...