Chapter 2 - Direwolves, white walkers, and what not

It came as a surprise for everyone when they knew that Aurelia Stark was joining her father and her brother's to the beheading

It came as a surprise for everyone when they knew that Aurelia Stark was joining her father and her brother's to the beheading. It was no place for any kind of lady, and Ned is breaking societal norms by letting her so. Here in Winterfell, such societal norms is not entirely looked upon like it is in the South. Ned knew Aurelia needed to go to the beheading at least once in her life. That way she'll be able to learn about what the real word actually is.

    The place for the beheading was not far from Winterfell. Robb described it as mirky, due to the misty fog that surrounds the hills. The place was further north from Winterfell, hence the air was colder. There were rocks sat atop the center hill, and the rock situated in the middle has a large piece of wooden block with a curved surface. That's where the person will be beheaded. When the Stark company arrived there, Aurelia's eyes can't help but be so focused on the thick blood stains covering the wood.

    Jon told her that the man they were about to behead was a deserter from the Night's Watch. Aurelia knew the laws in the North. A deserter meant that he broke an oath he vowed for when he joined the Night's Watch. Breaking the oath is punishable by death.

    When they arrived at the place, Ned resumed his position at the center of the hill. Robb stood a couple of paces behind his father, and a couple of feet in front of Jon, Aurelia, and Bran. Aurelia didn't know exactly what to feel. She never thought her father would allow her to come to a beheading, nor did she want to. If she could, she would not have come. Despite being skillful with the bow and arrow, she's never killed a man before, and Aurelia had no idea if she's capable of doing that. She's never seen anyone killed in front of her, and she surely has never seen anyone dying.

    She stood next to Jon, and Bran was standing in front of them both. She thanked the Gods that her brother's were here, or else she would have turned her horse around and returned home. Jon noticed Aurelia's uneasiness, and clutched her hand in response. Aurelia let out a small sigh of relief that Jon knew what she was feeling.

    The deserter looked no older than his 20s. He has shoulder-length blonde hair that was all wrinkly and dirty. Two Stark soldiers held his hand behind his back as they escorted him to the center of the hill, where he'll be beheaded. The deserter looks disheveled and there was fear in his eyes. He didn't seem scared of dying. It looked like he was more scared of what caused him to desert in the first place. 

As he was walking towards the wooden block, he muttered something under his breathe. He mentioned something that were all stories to the Stark siblings.

    "I know i broke my oath. And I know I'm a deserter. I should have gone back to the Wall and warned them. But I saw what I saw. I saw the White Walkers. People need to know. If you can get word to my family, tell them I'm no coward. Tell them I'm sorry." Will spoke one last time. The White Walkers is an extinct race, or they were thought to be. It only exists in the stories that Old Nan used to tell the Stark children. Aurelia never dwelled on the thought of them because just like everyone else, their only stories meant to scare children at night. None of them were real. But this deserter talks about them as if they are.