𝔹𝕖 π•Žπ•šπ•₯𝕙 𝕄𝕖 | πŽπ‚ [C...

By Gentle8Kisses

In which in the town of Greendale, where it always feels like Halloween, there lived two young twins who were... More

1.0
1.1
1.2
1.3
1.4
1.5
1.6
1.8
1.9
1.10
SEQUEL

1.7

3.3K 76 9
By Gentle8Kisses

"You hear me. I put a spell on you 

because you're mine."

I am in my room with Astris typing up my last essay that is due for my potions assignment. I sigh in relief as my shaking hands type the last few words of my essay before saving the document and printing all six of the essays due. I move to the office and pick up the papers with Astris on my shoulder, hidden in my hair.

I have been spending all weekend trying to distract myself from Bast. If I haven't been typing up my essay, then I have been out with Harvey, hanging out with him as he draws his cartoons. I didn't realize how much I missed spending time with him. I mean I love spending time with Roz and Susie too, but Harvey was my first best friend.

Right after I put away my assignments in my bag, I hear Sabrina coming back from her date, "Aunties? Ambrose? Sister? Can anyone explain why it looks like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has been nailed to our door?"

I walk to the front door. I gasp, looking at what looks to be animal guts hanging from our door. Ambrose lightly moves me out of the way so he can clean it up. I look away and follow Sabrina into the kitchen.

Aunt Zelda sits at the table, and we follow her. She looks at us and Sabrina, and I both look at each other in annoyance knowing we are going to get a lecture, "It's a message from the Council, girls. It means our family's been selected to participate in this year's Feast of Feasts", Aunt Zelda notices our confusion and continues, "Feast of Feasts, Sabrina, is one of our coven's holiest holidays. It's similar to mortal Thanksgiving-"

Ambrose interrupts washing his hands, "But the menu is slightly different."

Aunt Zelda continues, annoyed with Ambrose's mockery of the tradition, "It's meant to honor the single greatest sacrifice a witch ever made to save her coven."

Aunt Hilda smiles, lighting a candle, "Praise Sister Freya. May we meet again."

I turn to Aunt Zelda, tilting my head to the side, "Who's Freya?"

Aunt Zelda proudly continues, " A queen amongst witches. Centuries ago, the 14 women belonging to the earliest incarnation of the Church of Night were chased out of the township of Greendale into the hills, the forest. Hilda."

Aunt Z turns to Aunt Hilda making her continue to story, "The men of Greendale had hunted all the animals. So, you know, really, there was nothing to eat."

Ambrose frowns, "The witches would've starved and died that winter, had it not been for the sacrifices of Freya, the youngest, strongest witch. She, um-"

Ambrose makes an offing motion with his hands. Aunt Zelda states what he was signing, "Freya slit her own throat and offered up her body so that the coven would have sustenance through the cold months, into the spring."

Everyone but Sabrina and I chanted, "Praise Freya! Praise Freya!"

I interrupt them in disgust and horror, "Wait, are we seriously talking about cannibalism?"

Ambrose shrugs nonchalantly, "It's not unlike the Donner Party."

Aunt Zelda looks at me with such disappointment in her eyes, "The Feast of Feasts is an annual demonstration of our devotion to the Dark Lord. Fourteen families from the coven are selected to participate in a lottery. The families then choose someone to represent them."

Aunt Hilda tries to make it sound better by adding, "A tribute, as it were."

I look to Ambrose in horror, "This is very unlike the Donner party. This isn't for survival anymore," I say in disgust, unable to even imagine the horror of participating.

Aunt Zelda smiles turning to us with joy, "Only ladies are eligible because It is the Dark Lord's will. In any case, the 14 tributes draw lots to see who will win the honor of being queen."

Sabrina looks at them, wanting to know more about the disgusting holiday, "What do you get as queen?"

Ambrose jokingly says, "You get to be the main course."

"The queen is eaten? And witches participate in this willingly?", Sabrina chokes. Astris jumps off my shoulder and onto the table, I smile at her forgetting that she was with me. The petite Pheonix adorable tries to flap her tiny wings and get off the table, bored from the conversation. I quickly bring her to the floor so she can leave the room.

Aunt Zelda takes a casual puff of her cigarette, "It is a sacred tradition. Our obligation is not to question; it is to obey and participate."

I laugh at their ignorance as Sabrina and I both scream in unison, "But no one's starving anymore. And we're talking about murder here."

"Ritual sacrifice," Ambrose shrugs, trying to make this horrible situation funny, "It's slightly different."

Aunt Zelda stops our argument and continues, "Since Hilda's been excommunicated, only Sabrina, Gracelina, and I are eligible for the lottery, which means that I will represent the family at tomorrow night's drawing."

Sabrina and I both protest, but Aunt Zelda interrupt us, "That's sweet, girls but your Aunt Hilda and I have participated in many lotteries over the years, and the Dark Lord has never seen fit to reward us with being queen. I have no reason to believe this year will be any different. So please, the Feast of Feasts is happening, and like it or not, we are participating."

Aunt Zelda gets up and grabs the bottle of Jack Daniels on the table, walking up to her room.

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

It's the next day at the academy. I have been avoiding Bast all day, although he has proven to make it very hard. Although he hasn't been seeking me out, it seems like every time I am in the hall or on break, he is sitting somewhere nearby reading a book or talking to a fellow classmate.

I wanted to spend time with him, like usual, leaning on him as he read his favorite excerpts of his book or watching as he turned down admirers who tried to take his attention.

Thankfully the Weird Sisters have been spending time with me. Although Sabrina doesn't get along with them, they have truly become my friends.

I just finished my potions exam during lunch and was thankful that I had a free period so I could still eat. I look at the time and realize that Sabrina should be here any second and move to the portal bus to greet her.

As I walk into the atrium and see that she has already arrived. I also notice the Weird Sisters talking about something. I notice Sabrina listening in on their conversation and move to join their conversation as well.

"I can't believe you're one of the 14 tributes, Prudence", Dorcas gushes.

Prudence smiles, "Why not? All night long, I prayed and prayed to the Dark Lord, didn't I?"

I furrow my eyebrows curious as to what they were talking about. I hope it is not the lottery for the feast, "Hey. What are you all gossiping about?"

Prudence turns to me before looking at all of us, "Don't be jealous, girls. Maybe it'll be your turn next year."

I frown at Prudence's misunderstanding. The last thing I wanted was to be part of the archaic and revolting tradition.

"Wait, Prudence, you're a part of this lottery?", Sabrina questions finally moving to join rather than eavesdrop.

Dorcas and Agatha both in unison state, "There were entrails on her bed, but she's always been lucky that way."

Sabrina scoffs at their cluelessness, "Lucky? Hang on. Do you actually want this? You want to be sacrificed?"

Prudence nods, "More than I've ever wanted anything in my life."

I don't say anything because I can't think of anything that would change her mind. I know Prudence, and she would just be offended. I don't want to ruin our friendship for something like this.

Sabrina continues however not understanding, "But that's insane."

I mouth to her to stop, but she ignores me. Sabrina doesn't understand faith; she never has. I may not believe that the Dark Lord's actions are right but I know that others do and you can't just give them logic to change their minds. I envy them in that aspect because at least they know what they believe in.

I believe I have faith in goodness; the abilioty for a person's love and compassion to make a positive change.

Prudence as predicted snaps at Sabrina, "Why? You wouldn't understand, half-breed, you're not a real witch. But there is no greater honor."

Dorcas smiles in wonderment, "Imagine, an orphan being queen."

Agatha smirks, "It would be the first time in the history of the Church of Night."

I smile at the sisters as they walk away. I turn to Sabrina planning to ask her if we could get lunch, but she already has plans as she quickly grabs my hand and drags me over to the one person I was trying to avoid, "Nicholas, Bast, wait. Wait up."

Nick and Bast stop midway through their conversation and walk over to Sabrina and I. Bast appears shocked to see me but doesn't do anything else to reveal his reaction to my presence. I see his eyes trail down to Sabrina's firm grip on mine and immediately realizes that Sabrina doesn't know about what happened the other day.

I bite my lip before saying a quiet hello. Sabrina notices the awkward situation and raises her eyebrow at me before turning to Nick, "Where do you stand on the Feast of Feasts."

Nick grasps his hands together before looking around and lowly stating, "I'm a conscientious objector. I think it's bonkers."

Bast nods his head, "We were just discussing the idiotic holiday. Canabilism is so," Bast begins, acting like he is struggling to find the right word, "19th century."

Sabrina laughs, in relief, "Thank you."

I can't help but be slightly relieved that they don't participate but am quickly taken over with worry over the fact that I still don't know Bast's age. I knew wizards could live for an extremely long time and depending on how he took care of himself, he could be a few decades old. It wasn't like Bast acted young, by any means, but he looked too young to know the events of the 19th century even as a warlock.

Nick nods before continuing, "Your father banned Feast of Feasts when he was High Priest. He said it was barbaric."

I smile, happy that my sister and I follow our father's beliefs. Sabrina continues, "So, why is it happening again?"

"Well, Blackwood reinstated it the year he became High Priest. He received a "revelation" from the Dark Lord to return to our old rituals," Bast falters before looking at me with a mixed emotion, "Wait, you're not a tribute, are you?"

I shake my head, "No."

Nick nods in relief, while Bast doesn't seem to react as he chooses to analyze me instead, making me wonder if he knew something I didn't. Sabrina continues for me, knowing this is the last place I wanna be right now, "My Aunt Zelda is putting herself forth, but I wonder if she'd feel differently about the feast if we were on the chopping block."

Nick humms in response, and I look at my sister in fear of what rash thing she was going to drag me into. Sabrina says goodbye, and we begin to walk away before Bast grabs my arm and stops me.

I jerk my arm away, ignoring the pang of sadness caused by the loss of the tingling sensation his touch provided.

Bast doesn't appear to show emotion through his facial expression, the only thing telling me he was serious was the hard look in his eyes, "Grace. Last night..."

Holding up my hands, I smile deciding that Bast doesn't deserve to be hurt just because he doesn't reciprocate my feelings, "Bast, we are friends. Nothing will change that. You are off the hook."

"Off the hook," Bast repeats with a perplexed expression.

I nod, trying to keep my tight smile on my lips, turning to follow Sabrina.

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

As I assumed, Sabrina does have some crazy, dangerous plan that could end in our deaths. Sabrina and I are currently dressed in the traditional Feast of Feasts golden attire and are rushing to stop the ceremony and volunteer in place of our Aunt Zelda to prove a point that the feast is barbaric. I don't think it is going to work because Aunt Zelda does not have enough power to stop the holiday but do know that I will not allow my sister to take place in this thing alone.

Since Sabrina and I are twins, we have to volunteer together, which makes our chances of getting picked even higher.

We finally make it to the church and rush inside, "Stop! We'll draw", Sabrina and I say in unison, "I'll draw for the Spellman family."

Aunt Zelda freezes, putting the slip of paper down in anger, "What in Satan's name are you two doing?"

Sabrina smirks, "I'm upholding a beloved tradition, Aunt Zelda, unless, of course, you want to admit that this whole thing is barbaric, as my father believed"

Father Blackwood looks at our auntie anger, "Sister Zelda, is there a problem?"

Aunt Zelda glares at us before moving off the stage, "No, Your Excellency. My brave nieces would like to represent the family this year. So, girls, by all means, go ahead. Select your paper."

She brushes past Sabrina and us, and I hesitantly move up the stage, not knowing what to do now that our plan has failed. I don't mind though. At least Aunt Zelda is safe. We each pick a paper and hold it over the fire. Waiting.

I look at the crowd and notice Bast sitting in one of the pews with a furious expression on his face. If I didn't know better myself, I would say he was about ready to burn down the entire church. Probably thinking the same thing as I am, that this may be the last time we see each other before he has to eat me. Why is my life so weird.

Father Blackwood announces that we may burn them. Sabrina and I lower our slip of paper into the flame. My eyes do not leave Bast's as I do so. I feel the heat of our paper burning. It feels like hours although it is just a few seconds. I see a red cloud of smoke, and my eyes begin to water. I have been picked.

"Prudence is queen," I gasp, turning to see Prudence's paper burning a white smoke. She is laughing in joy, while I wipe my tears away and try to smile, knowing that Prudence is happy. I decided that I would not ruin the moment and try to convince her not to sacrifice herself...yet.

Sabrina and I look back at out paper wondering why it burned red. I look to see that Sister Mildred, I kind woman who used to bring Sabrina and me apples from her garden was frowning, "When will it be my turn?"

The crowd begins to chant, "All hail, Queen of the Feast! All hail, Queen of the Feast! Kneel before your queen!"

Sabrina and I look in shock as everybody kneels before Prudence.

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

We are back home, and Aunt Zee is screaming at us for being foolish, "Do you realize how close you came to being sacrificed?"

I frown taking off my cape, "I didn't think you would let us go through with the drawing."

Aunt Zelda laughs at my response, "Oh, so it's my fault that you decided to play a game of chicken with me in front of the entire coven. That's rich."

"Right, well, what's done is done, "Aunt Hilda states, trying to stop the fight that is about to arise, "Let's just praise Satan. He decided to spare you both."

Aunt Zelda scowls at us, "Not entirely. Sabrina and Gracelina drew a lot of handmaidens."

"Better to be the shepherd than the lamb," Ambrose mutters.

I sit down on the barstool, "Which means what, exactly? Aunt Zelda still hasn't told us."

Ambrose sits up and turns to Sabrina and me, "The lamb is the queen and the shepherd is the handmaiden."

"The queen's exaltation is the highest honor, so for the next three days, while the coven fasts and prepares for the feast, the handmaiden must indulge the queen's every whim", Aunt Zelda simply states.

Sabrina groans in frustration, "Great! So I'm supposed to spoil the girl who harrowed me."

'Preferably with figs and wild berries to sweeten her meat before the feast", Ambrose jokes sniffing the air as if he can already smell her.

I frown, "That's not even funny, Ambrose. Prudence is my friend."

"Oh, come on, course, it is a little funny. Prudence getting her just desserts by literally becoming the dessert."

Sabrina rolls her eyes and almost as if she triggered it, the doorbell rang. Sabrina and I looked at the door. Ambrose groaned and went to open it, seeing as we just stood there frozen.

We follow him and see Prudence and Ambrose giving each other suggestive glances. I walk up to her and pull her away from my cousin, "Prudence."

Prudence smiles, "Hello," she turns to Sabrina who came in also, "Handmaiden. I assume my room's upstairs? I'm dying for a warm buttermilk bath. And a plate of macaroons."

I try to stifle my laugh at the fact that Prudence is making Sabrina do all the work. I give her a side hug and whisper in her ear, "I will set up the bath. You just go get her majesty's I macaroons."

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

Sabrina is currently bathing Prudence with buttermilk while I was singing to her and playing the cello, per our queen's request. I am now playing I Have a Dream.

Prudence turns to Sabrina, "You can do my back now...Tell me, handmaidens, will this be your first time supping on witch flesh?"

Sabrina covers her ears as I messily move my bow from the cello not expecting Prudence to ask me that, "What? I'm not going to eat you, Prudence!"

Sabrina nods before looking at her, "You don't have to go through with this madness, you know. I mean, just between the three of us, you don't really want to be queen, do you?"

Prudence smiles, "Of course I do."

I groan. Knowing that Sabrina still doesn't understand that Prudence actually wants to sacrifice herself for her coven, "But if you wanted to escape, I would happily look the other way."

"Why would I want to escape? I'm about to be transubstantiated."

"Meaning?", I ask her confused.

"After the coven consumes my body, I will be a part of every single witch in the Church of Night, forever," Prudence gushes, "But that's not even the best part. My spirit will reside in the Dark Lord's heart, alongside the other queens, basking in the glow of his glorious fire until the trumpets of the apocalypse are sounded."

I scoff at her, "And you believe that?"

Prudence nods, "With absolute certainty."

I frown walking up and kneeling on the other side of the bathtub, "But what if that's not what happens?"

Sabrina continues, "What if you're sacrificed and it's just over?"

Prudence looks at both of us, "Is that what you believe?"

Sabrina shrugs, "I don't know what happens when we die. It's impossible to know."

Prudence smiles, "Yes, but what do you believe?"

Sabrina doesn't respond, and I frown realizing that my sister doesn't believe in anything, "Huh? How sad for you. Not to have faith in anything."

I bite my lip before adding, "I know that we go somewhere...I can sense it when I heal those who are about to crossover...And Prudence...I don't think that you are going to reside in the Dark Lord's heart because of your sacrifice."

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

After Prudence decides that she is done with her bath, she gets dressed and walks into Sabrina's room, "Where are you going to sleep?"

I smile at my sister before whispering to her that she can sleep with me in my bed. We both change and get into bed. I turn out the light, "Goodnight, 'Brina."

I close my eyes and begin to drift off into sleep before I am shaken by my sister, "Grace. Can I ask you a question?"

I huff, wanting nothing more than to go to sleep, "Sure."

"What do you believe in?"

I frown, I begin contemplating before I come up with the answer, "Love. I can't think of anything more powerful. How about you?"

It is silent before she responds, "I don't know..."

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

I wake up, hearing a thundering noise upstairs. I see Sabrina has also awakened and is putting on her slippers, "What is going on?"

I hear another noise that sounds like Ambrose broke something upstairs. I hear a female giggle, and immediately rush upstairs, not caring to grab my robe or shoes. I begin to hear music, getting louder and louder. I look behind me to see that Sabrina is following me.

We both enter Ambrose's room. Sabrina and I both say in unison, "Ambrose?"

I wipe the sleep out of my eyes and gasp in shock. What are they doing?

"Gross," I hear Sabrina whisper to me.

My eyes widen. No way.

In Ambrose's room, there is a full-on orgy starring Dorcas, Agatha, Prudence, Ambrose, and three other boys I don't recognize. Sabrina and I both gasp in shock. I am frozen and don't know how to react with the sigh in front of me.

Sabrina tilts her head, "Nicholas? What are you doing here?"

I watch as the boys whip around to face us. Sabrina was indeed correct when she assumed that Nick was one of the boys, but she forgot to notice Bast.

I watch as his dark curls stick to his face due to the light glean of sweat on his pale forehead. I blush, as my eyes trail his exposed form before I quickly look away, feeling his piercing eyes on me.

I try to ignore the burning jealousy in my chest as I whisper, "Bast?" This only proved my point, Bast was only interested in me because I was one of many conquests he needed to get his hands on; not to mention, the fact that monogamy is not even in his vocabulary.

Prudence removes her lips from my cousin Ambrose before smirking, "I invited them, handmaidens. And no plebe can deny a queen on the days leading up to her sacrifice. It also helps that darling Bast here is always up for any occasion. Just had to mention sweet Gr -"

Bast glares at Prudence before she finishes with, "And Nicky is hornier than a toad."

Bast's eyes hungrily graze over my body, unfazed by the situation at hand. I regret only wearing a thin camisole and shorts. Bast carelessly shoves Agatha, who was currently attacking his neck off of him, before murmuring, "Gracelina, join us."

Against my own subconscious desire, I feel myself moving towards Bast. Thankfully, Sabrina pulls me back, with a look of amazement on her face to my reaction. I myself was shocked as I shook my head, "I think I will pass."

Bast smirked, undeterred as usual, "We could always go to your room."

Nick nodded, "Sabrina?"

I frown, Bast was making my mind hazy and I could not talk to him in this state of mind I was in. Avoiding his glance, I pull Sabrina with me down the stairs, knowing that both boys were undeserving of our attention. 

He wouldn't be allowed to see me cry.

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

I am sitting in the kitchen, making my marigold & lavender tea. I discovered it when I was younger and fell in love with it. I add two spoonfuls of honey and begin stirring it in. I start humming an old song, Tommy liked to play.

I hear the stairs creaking and look up to see Bast, watching me from the banister. He walks down to join me in the kitchen, "You have a beautiful singing voice. Do you know that?"

I smile, biting my lip, "Thanks," I look around the room not knowing what to say to your crush who just spend the night having an orgy with the only witches you are friends with and your cousin. I awkwardly point to the tea kettle on the stove, "Would you like something to drink."

Bast nods before plopping himself down on a barstool next to me. I move around the kitchen grabbing Bast a mug and pouring him, the warm, aromatic tea. I look up at him, "Would you like anything to sweeten it?"

"Dorcus told me."

I snap my head up, before trying to play it cool not knowing exactly what Dorcas may have told him, "What is that?"

Bast's reaction remains cool although I can tell he isn't happy with my attempt to play coy, "That she ran into you crying. That you were in some distraught state, the night you came over to study."

Remember not to tell Dorcus anything. 

Sitting on the barstool across from him; I trace the rim of my mug with my finger, too embarrassed to speak. I mutter, "What about it?"

Bast laughs at me, causing me to grin, selfishly enjoying his laugh, "Spellman, you are impossible."

My eyes leave my mug, not expecting his answer. I try to hide my shock, reasoning, "I don't understand. Last night..."

Bast frowns walking up to me, "As Prudence said, nobody can refuse the queen on the days leading up to her sacrifice, no matter how hard they try," he mutters the latter.

Bast moves a stray hair behind my ear, that had fallen out one of the two french braids that I had sloppily done last night, "Were you jealous?" Bast asks, once again working hard to remain calm. I swear the boy would not show an ounce of emotion if he didn't want to.

Which scared me. 

How could I love Bast when I didn't even know if he ever truly felt the same for me. I feel crazy saying that I knew his emotions at times like this because I truly may just have it all in my head that I understand what he is feeling. Perhaps I am wrong to assume that he actually is interested in our conversation; perhaps he is just merely enjoying his mind games on me. If that were the case, then he has succeeded.

I unconsciously lean my head into his hand which was resting on my cheek before reasoning, "What are we doing, Bast?"

 "I don't know," he confessed, his eyes looking straight into mine, "You don't realize how irresistible you are, Gracelina Spellman."

There he goes. Those few words making all my worries seem so trivial. it is times like this that I hope I am wrong, because if I am then I don't know how I can handle my feelings toward him.

I blush at his words. Bast carefully slides his hands down to my neck before cautiously looking at me, "If I kissed you, would you promise not to run away again?"

I feel my heart thundering in my chest before I shake my head 'no'. Careful to stop him as he began to lean forward, I give him a small smile, "Bast, I can't do this," I slide off the barstool, "I don't think it would be good if we continued whatever this was any longer."

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

Sabrina, apparently, convinced Prudence to come to Baxter High so she could find the meaning of life. So I was dragged along with her as we got ready for school.

I felt like a little girl, excitedly getting dressed so I could see my friends. I missed hanging out with them and found this loophole an opportunity to hang out with them again.

I am guiding Prudence around the school as we make our way over to the library. On the way, I tell her about the history of the school and places I used to hang out.

We reach the old double doors of the library and make our way inside. I immediately move to the couch that I know my friends will be sitting on.

They look up probably expecting Sabrina, and their faces mold into one of shock and happiness as they all get up and hug me, exclaiming how happy they are to see me, "I missed you so much! I am off today at school and thought I would come and hang out."

Sabrina walks up behind me with Prudence, "Guys, this is Prudence. She's our cousin who's visiting for Thanksgiving", Sabrina begins to introduce her to our friends, "Prudence, this is my boyfriend, Harvey. And my two best friends, Rosalind and Susie."

"Very nice to meet you," Prudence greets before growling in her ear, "You promised me, boys."

Sabrina ignores her rude comment, "I wanted you to meet my friends first."

I look at my friends with a nostalgic smile, "So, what are we talking about?"

Susie looks at Roz before smiling, "Uh, My ancestor Dorothea. She was an early settler in Greendale and was also a pirate who helped a group of women fleeing religious persecution from Scotland."

"Dorothea Putnam? We learned about her at my school", Prudence smiles, "She was a true ally to those women. A hero to the marrow."

Susie nods, "So I'm discovering."

"Did you turn up anything, Harvey?", Roz asks Harvey causing him to move his arm off of Sabrina.

Harvey nods before frowning, "Yeah, but it's kind of messed up. Basically, the Kinkles got ownership of the mines in a land grab. Kicked some people out who lived in the hills and took them over."

I frown, knowing that the Kinkle family isn't known for their kindness, "What does that mean?"

Prudence puts her arm out in front of me stopping me from moving closer to hear Harvey, "By "kicked out," he means killed. And by "took over," he means stolen. What did you say your family name is?"

Sabrina trails, "Harvey?"

Harvey replies, "Kinkle."

Prudence glares at him, "So you're a descendant of the Von Kunkles, then. Those "hill people" your ancestors killed were witches. Which makes your family witch Come on, everybody knows witches aren't real. Your family committed atrocities, and blood-atonement is demanded!"

I laugh before grabbing Prudence and pulling her away, "Kidding! She's kidding. I am going to show her the rest of school, but we will see you guys later! Cerberus's? Bye."

Sabrina and I drag her out of the library before she attacks Harvey. Prudence yanks her arm out of our grip once we leave the room, "Did you honestly think I would find meaning here? Amongst your mortal friends? They don't even know the glorious truth of what you are, "she snarls, "And your beau is a witch hunter!"

Sabrina shakes her head, "No, he's not."

"My sisters and I have a simple philosophy when it comes to witch hunters: kill them before they have the chance to kill us," Prudence smirks.

I walk up to Prudence and glare at her as Sabrina, and I both say in unison, "Prudence, if you lay a finger on Harvey, I swear to Satan, I'll tear you to pieces."

Prudence snaps, "Save it for Feast Day."

Sabrina scoffs, "You're deluded."

Ms. Wardwell suddenly appears from behind us, "Girls, girls. Let's not be catty bitches, hmm? ", she turns to Sabrina and me, "Aren't you gonna introduce me to your new gal pal?"

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

We are all currently in Ms. Wardwell's room, listening to Sabrina explain everything to Ms. Wardwell, "And I know it's witch tradition, but can you please talk some sense into her, Ms.Wardwell, and tell her that there's absolutely no purpose to the feast? Not when the cost is a precious life."

Prudence rolls her eyes, carelessly playing with Ms. Wardwell's things, "But the reward is everlasting glory in the Dark Lord's heart. And who is this woman that we can discuss our ways with her?"

Sabrina calmy tells Prudence, "We can trust Ms.Wardwell. She's a witch, too, excommunicated from another coven."

Prudence laughs, "You expect me to take advice from an excommunicate?"

"Don't be a snob, Prudence", I look at Ms. Wardwell, "Ms.Wardwell is incredibly learned."

Ms. Wardwell smiles at me, laying her hand on my chair, "And, as promised, I have done some digging into the Feast of Feasts and it's a complicated matter", Ms. Wardwell smiles at Prudence, "Now, you may not want to listen to an excommunicate, but there is someone perhaps you should meet. A witch who was once Queen of the Feast, until she rejected the crown. She lives deep in the Greendale Woods. Moon Valley, if you're brave enough to find her.

Prudence laughs in disbelief, "A witch spurned queenship? I don't believe it."

"Well, if your faith is as strong as you say it is, Prudence what's the harm in hearing her story?", Sabrina stand crossing her arms over her chest

Prudence ponders going, "If I go I want my sisters to come with us."

I nod, "The more, the merrier."

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

We are walking deep into the Greendale woods. We arrive upon an ivy-ridden home, that looks like it was abandoned. I frown at Ms. Wardwell, "What if she's not at home?"

"She's always at home. Isn't that right, Dezmelda?", an old woman walks out from behind the house holding a cane, "We're witches, like you and seek counsel."

"What made you run, Dezmelda, from the Dark Lord?", I ask her gently, knowing it was a touchy subject.

She looked at us as if we should already know, " I didn't run from the Dark Lord. I ran from my High Priest. I was a child. We all were. All 14 of us who took part in the lottery. Younger than you. No one questioned why that was. And I was selected to be queen.

Ms. Wardwell quietly continues, "And then Her High Priest had a revelation delivered unto him by the Dark Lord, allegedly. The night before the feast, the High Priest was to initiate her."

Dezmelda has a broken look in her eyes, "I was a child."

"Rather than allow herself to be violated, Dezmelda fled into the woods, "Ms. Wardwell explains, "She's lived here ever since."

Prudence turns to Sabrina and me, "What happened then isn't what Father Blackwood is asking now."

"Just listen to your words", I frown grabbing her hands, "Father Blackwood is asking you to do this thing, not the Dark Lord."

Prudence shakes her head, "Father Blackwood is a righteous messenger."

"But he isn't divine", I finish, "He's flesh and blood, just like you and me. Which means he has faults and he sins. He can be wrong, he can be corrupted."

"Are you suggesting Father Blackwood is acting on his own, independent of the Dark Lord?", Prudence looks at me as if I just killed a baby.

I shrug my shoulders, "I'm saying it's possible."

"But why? It's clear Dezmelda's High Priest had an agenda", Prudence scoffs before turning to Ms. Wardwell, "But how would my death serve Father Blackwood? He's taken care of me, raised me, treated me like a daughter."

Sabrina joins in, "Which makes what he's doing even more insidious."

"He isn't doing anything except carrying out the Dark Lord's will, "Prudence justifies before frowning, "And, I want to be queen. I've dreamed about it. Why can't you accept that?"

I am about to reply but a gunshot nearby stops me. We all jump up. Dezmelda begins shaking, she turns to me and yells, "What have you done? Who else have you brought to this place?"

I frown, trying to calm her down, "No one, We swear."

"Go, and never come back."

We all move to quickly leave the unstable woman. I lead the group to the source of the gunshot wanting to know if anything was hurt. I stop running when I see a deer-goblin-like corpse. I choke on my breathe.

I look at Ms. Wardwell in worry, "Ms.Wardwell, what is it?"

"It was a familiar.", Agatha answers. Dorcus continues, "Many live in Moon Valley."

Sabrina looks like she is about to cry, "Who would do such a thing?"

Ms. Wardwell looks at the disfigured familiar, "Men."

We hear Tommy yelling where the dead animal was. Ms. Wardwell jumps into action pulling out wool, "Quickly, take the wool yarn. Form a pentagram around the creature. Grace, you go in the center."

I look at her in confusion, "Wait, Ms.Wardwell, what are we doing?"

She passes the wool along, "Pulling the wool over their eyes. Don't speak. Stay very quiet, or the cloaking won't take."

I see Harvey's grandpa furiously looking around for his win, "Blood stops here. Where the hell is the damn thing? That was a kill-shot. It shouldn't even have gotten this far."

Tommy holds his gun directly in front of Agatha's face, "What do we do now?"

Grandpa Kinkle spits at the ground, "We keep looking. I want that prize."

The Wierd Sisters all tilt their head, "Once a hunter, always a hunter."

"Harvey's not a hunter", I justify.

Ms. Wardwell joins in, "Though you must admit, he certainly looks the part, Gracelina."

"More than looks it, "Dorcus laughs causing me to send her a glare, "He is a witch hunter."

"His family are witch hunters", Agatha glares at Brina, "He told you himself."

"Then blood demands blood, that is the law. Blood atonement for the murder of this familiar. Perhaps instead of letting you drag me to the four corners, my last hours would be better spent flaying your boyfriend alive", Prudence threatens, "Rending him limb from limb."

Sabrina gives them a menacing glare, "Keep away from him."

"Harvey's not a killer", I defend, before I move to the familiar deciding that I should begin bringing the creature back to life rather than waste my time joining in a fight.

"You believe that, Sabrina? Even with what we just saw?", Prudence asks in disbelief as I continue to revival the familiar which has proven to be quite the task given its size.

"Yes."

"Yes? How is your faith in the mortal boy any different than my faith in the Dark Lord? Why is your faith more valid than mine?", Prudence grins just as I feel myself blackout

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

Once I woke up, I noticed Sabrina had spelled me to sleepwalk alongside her, allowing me to simply take control over my body once agon as we neared the house.

I turn to my sister, noticing that Harvey was waiting for us, "Did it work? The revival," i ask her knowing that in a few seconds we would be within earshot.

Sabrina sent me a sorry look before running up to Harvey with a grin, "Harvey."

I walk to catch up next to him and put my hand on my shoulder, "I thought this year was gonna be different with my dad and my grandfather."

Sabrina looks at Harvey with worry, "Did something happen?"

Harvey begins to tell us what we already know, " We all went down to Moon Valley to hunt. There was a deer and it was my turn, Grandpa said. But I-I couldn't do it. So Grandpa did it, but I-I should have stopped him...I didn't stop him.-I should have stopped him, but I didn't."

Hervey looks so upset. I begin to rub his arm, "It's okay."

He shakes his head, "It's hopeless, Gracelina. Besides Tommy, I don't fit in with them."

"You're not like them. Not even close", Sabrina justifies, "You wouldn't hurt a fly. That's why I love you."

Sabrina hugs him and I hear her whisper a protection chant. I awkwardly give them their space and walk into the house. Sabrina comes in a few minutes later before we are both pulled with Aunt Zelda into the basement to help Lady Blackwood.

We run down to see a very pregnant Lady Blackwood taking very deep breathes. Aunt Zelda turns to me, "Fetch the calming tea I have on the stove and come down."

I nod and run upstairs to grab the kettle and a teacup. I run back down listening to Lady Blackwood's crazed ramblings, "I don't want to fail him."

Aunt Zelda shakes her head, "Nonsense."

Sabrina helps me pour the tea into the teacup and brings it to Aunt Zelda, "Sabrina, pour the tea."

"Already poured, Aunt Zee."

Lady Blackwood looks at me with wide eyes, "It's not poison, is it? Of course not."

I shake my head, "It's chamomile with a calming tincture."

Aunt Zelda brings it to her lips, "Drink up. Finish every drop, that's a good girl."

She looks around the room still panicking, "What's happening? What's wrong with me?"

Aunt Zelda nods her head and tries to calm Lady Blackwood, "Your blood pressure is abnormally high. You're having a panic attack...Have you done any intense spellcasting lately? Sometimes that can stress a pregnancy."

"It was dangerous, but I had to do it", Lady Blackwood begins, "You understand, don't you?"

Aunt Zelda continues to try to calm Lady Blackwood who seems to be bursting with anxiety, "Of course, Lady Blackwood, I understand you."

"You know what they're really like. Always whispering and-and plotting and-and I think they're gonna kill my babies", Lady Blackwood cries out.

Aunt Zelda looks at her like she has truly lost it, "No one is going to hurt your babies. You just have a touch of third-trimester hysteria, nothing more."

Sabrina walks up to Lady Blackwood, "Who's plotting?"

Lady Blackwood snarls, "Those Weird Sisters. Those sluts. I won't let them conspire against me. My children will come first."

I shake my head trying to figure out why they would be a threat, "Why? Why should the orphans wish you any harm?"

Lady Blackwood continues, "All three of them, they think they're so clever. Planning to take what belongs to my children. They would've done anything. Hurt them, curse them. So I had to hurt them first. Kill one, and the others are no threat of consequence."

Immediately after she said that Lady Blackwood passed out into a deep sleep. The tea must have kicked in.

I turn to Aunt Zelda hoping she would understand what Lady Blackwood was rambling about, "What did Lady Blackwood mean by "her children" come first?"

Aunt Zelda begins cleaning her tools, "I wonder if Constance might think Father Blackwood has other children. He wouldn't be the first High Priest to have dropped the odd bastard child here and there."

Sabrina voices my next question, "But how would those other children be a threat to Lady Blackwood's twins?"

"Children born of a High Priest, whether they're legitimate or not, can lay claim to that title", Aunt Zelda informs us.

Sabrina and I both come to the realization at the same time, "So if Father Blackwood had other children out in the world...They could all make a play for the seat."

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

Sabrina and I ran to where we knew the Weird Sisters would be hemming Prudence's dress for the Feast. We burst into the room, "Prudence, I need to talk to you."

Dorcus and Agatha stop sewing the dress and look at the both of us, "I'm being fitted for my Feast Day dress."

I walk up to her with Sabrina by my side, "It was premature of me to accuse Father Blackwood of having an agenda when he choose you as queen."

"Finally. You've come-", Sabrina interrupts her, "Instead, we think it might be Lady Blackwood who wants you dead."

"What a blasphemous creature you are", Prudence sighs.

Sabrina continues, "You said Father Blackwood treats you like a daughter-"

I finish her sentence, "Is it possible you actually are his daughter? Because if you were, Lady Blackwood would see you as a threat."

Prudence looks exhausted, "Have you completely lost your mind?"

We shrug, "Maybe."

Sabrina then comes up with more evidence, "But why does Father Blackwood take care of you?"

Prudence sighs, before exclaiming, "Because he's charitable."

"If you were Father Blackwood's daughter, you could one day lay claim to the Church of Night, this school, everything, but you'd have to get rid of his legitimate heirs first", I reason.

"Stop this", Prudence yells, "Please, stop this."

Sabrina goes on, ignoring Prudence's distraught state, "If Lady Blackwood had it out for you, wouldn't it be convenient for her if you were sacrificed at the Feast of Feasts?"

"For the last time, it is the Dark Lord's will that I am to be queen", Prudence snarls.

I frown, "What if it's the will of a witch? Of a pregnant witch with a grudge against you and your sisters? We just left her at our house. She was ranting about how you're plotting against her, and how she needed to hurt you before you could hurt her."

Prudence laments, "Do you have even a shred of proof?"

Sabrina considers Prudence's words, "Besides Lady Blackwood's hysterical ramblings? No just a hunch."

I add, "But Lady Blackwood was holding the lottery box."

Sabrina looks at Prudence practically begging, "Please, Prudence, I know you have complete faith that this is all the Dark Lord's will, and everything is going according to his plan but if there's even a shadow of doubt in your mind, don't you want to know the truth? She'd be murdering you in front of the entire coven."

Prudence finally gives in, "If I were to entertain this fantasy of yours how do you suggest we proceed, handmaiden?"

Sabrina and I smile before doing the classic Weird Sister head tilt and speak in unison, "Every Queen of the Feast deserves a last supper, right?"

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

Sabrina and I have set up a pre-Feast dinner, and have invited the Blackwoods to come. The plan is simple, we give them a bit of truth serum and they reveal everything we need to know about the Feast and Prudence being queen.

I am dressed in a formal evening dress when I open the door for Father Blackwood and his wife, "Father Blackwood, Lady Blackwood, please, come in...Happy Thanks-um Feast of Feasts."

Father Blackwood bows his head, "Blessed Feast."

I take their jackets and hang them up before I lead them to the parlor, "We'll be dining in the parlor this evening.

Lady Blackwood looks at Prudence in her gown and gasps in shock, "Wow! Prudence, you look stunning. You must be filled with such-"

Prudence interupts her with a smile, "I'm filled with ecstasy, Lady Blackwood, yes."

Aunt Zelda walks up leaving Dorcus and Agatha to trail behind her, "Shall we eat?"

Father Blackwood stops everyone from sitting to make an announcement, "If I may. Thank you to Queen Prudence for the sacrifice she makes tonight for the coven."

Lady Blackwood turns to Auntie Zee, "And where is your sister Hilda?"

Aunt Zelda looks at her ashamed, "Given her disenfranchised status, I didn't think it was appropriate for her to join us."

Sabrina and I poke our heads into their conversation and add, "Also, she's making dessert."

Everyone eats in silence. After we finish the main entree, Sabrina and I excuse ourselves to go grab the dessert.

I gasp at the beautiful cake that Aunt Zelda made. It was a three-tiered round cut cake. The icing was a beautiful blue with gold accents, "Aunt Hilda, you've outdone yourself."

Aunt Hilda giggles, "I hope so. This is my mom's secret recipe when she thought my dad was having an affair."

Sabrina looks at the abstract cake, "How long will it take to work? "

Aunt Hilda frets to make sure it is perfect, "Uh, should be instantaneous."

Sabrina and I both carry the large cake into the parlor and place it on the center of the table, "And now, for the pice de résistance, our Aunt Hilda's brown butter marchpane cake with brandied currants."

Lady Blackwood looks at the cake with a deep apprehension that makes me worry she knows our plan, "Mmm, looks delicious but I want to save room for later."

"Nonsense, Lady Blackwood", Aunt Zelda jumps in, also part of our plan, "You're eating for three, remember? Faustus?"

Father Blackwood looks at her for a moment before smirking, "When can one be gluttonous, if not on the Feast of Feasts?"

I nod, "Oh, I agree. Heartily."

Sabrina and I work together to slice the cake and pass out pieces to everyone at the table. Once we finish we all dig into the delicious dessert.

Sabrina turns to Father Blackwood, "As a recent convert, Father Blackwood, I'm curious, why did you decide to reinstate Feast Day after my father outlawed it?"

Father Blackwood greedily eats his cake before speaking, "When I became High Priest after Edward died, the Dark Lord revealed that I must return to our centuries-old traditions. Sometimes, the old ways are best."

Lady Blackwood agrees, "What a divine revelation."

I turn to her with a smile, "Are you enjoying this year's Feast Day, Lady Blackwood?"

"Oh, I'm thrilled by it."

"Well, I hope you're satisfied with your last supper, Prudence", I tell her giving her a wink to signal that she can begin to ask her questions, "We'll all miss you when you're gone, won't we?"

Ambrose smirks, "In body and soul. Mostly body."

Dorcas and Agatha begin crying, "I'll miss you so much.""Me, too."

Lady Blackwood bursts, "I won't."

I gasp not expecting her to just reveal her true feelings in that manner. Prudence turns her head to look at Lady Blackwood, "And why is that? You're a stain and we're better off without you."

Father Blackwood glowers at his wife, "Constance, Prudence is our queen."

"No, she's not my queen, she's a bastard."

Sabrina asks her a question next, "When was the last time you cast a spell, Lady Blackwood?"

Lady Blackwood places her hand over her heart in worry, "The night of Feast Day lottery."

Sabrina goes on, "And what spell did you cast?"

"I enchanted the ballot box to favor Prudence as queen."

"Why would you do that?", Father Blackwood demands. Ambrose takes a sip from his glass to hide his smirk.

"Because she and her slut sisters are your seed. Because you are a voracious slut yourself and that means trouble for my children", Lady Blackwood laughs wiping away a small trail fo sweat on her forehead, "I'm so sorry, husband. I'm not sure why I'm unburdening myself like this."

Prudence smiles putting her wine down on the table, "It's because your queen requested a special cake for her last supper."

"Aunt Hilda's truth cake", I bubble, "One bite and you cannot lie."

Father Blackwood looks down at his own plate which he practically licked. lean. He turns to her holding his wine glass with such a tight grip it breaks, "How dare you interfere with the Dark Lord's will. Have you any idea the scandal, the blasphemy you've brought upon the church?"

Lady Blackwood looks down ashamed for getting caught, "I'm sorry."

Prudence looks at Father Blackwood in shock, wanting more answers, "Are you, my father, then?"

Father Blackwood struggles to stay silent, but the lack of air is too much for him, "I am."

"And my mother?"

"Dead."

"By your hand?", Sabrina adds.

Aunt Zelda snaps at her, for going too far.

"Indirectly", Father Blackwood face, is frightening as he tries to not say any more. He points at Prudence with a wild look in his eyes, "She threw herself in a river because I would not marry her."

Prudence nods, "I see."

The other sisters look at Father Blackwood hopefully, "Are we your daughters, too?"

Father Blackwood looks at them in confusion, "Hmm? No, you're just orphans."

They both look down hurt and extremely saddened not to have the revolting man as a father.

"Prudence?", I move my head to see her better.

She wipes her tears away and tries to look strong, "So you were right. The Dark Lord doesn't want me to be his queen."

I frown never wanting to hurt Prudence. I just didn't want to lose my friend.

"The coven-The coven must meet straight away", Father Blackwood begins, "To redraw for a new queen."

I jump in, "Or the Dark Lord could come to you with a new revelation."

"One that compels you to outlaw the feast", Sabrina nods, "This year and every year to come...And what's been revealed at this table tonight will never be spoken of again.

"Whatever happens, I want to wear the dress and-and sit on the throne of skulls. Can I, please...Father?"

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

I am singing in the church choir with Dorcus and Agatha.

Take a hunger inside you, banish it in the cold
Your flesh to eat, your soul to keep
The Dark Lord shall behold
Queen Freya we extol

In the winter of misery, hail Freya, blessed be
Tied by the sword, praise our Dark Lord
And saved our sovereignty
Queen Freya, let us bleed

We rejoice in the feast, in the name of the Beast
And honor Freya, the Queen
Who paid the price through sacrifice
And saved the Greendale 13

Praise God Freya for our sacred feast
Praise God Freya, your soul now released
Praise God Freya (Reside, reside, reside)
Reside with the Beast

After we finish, Father Blackwood motions for the choir to sit in their seats. I walk over to my family and sit near Sabrina. I notice that Bast is sitting in the seat next to me, I smile at him.

I feel him discreetly move his hand to hold mine, I lace my fingers in his and direct my attention to Father Blackwood, "Brethren, sisters, a very unholy night to you all", the crowd interrupts him to return the same tidings, "Each year, the Feast of Feasts commemorates the selfless sacrifice that saved our coven", the crowd interrupts him again to praise Freya, "However tonight, I must be the reluctant bearer of dark tidings. In an unexpected turn of events, through circumstances entirely out of our control; Prudence Night cannot fulfill her duty as Queen of the Feast."

The entire crowd is silent before people in the crowd begin to complain, "Blasphemy!" "We're ravenous." "We must feast!"

Father Blackwood begins to speak over the crowd, "Moreover! Moreover! The Dark Lord has revealed to me that this year there shall not be-"

Sister Mildred stands up from her seat, "Freya lives! Praise Satan!", she pulls a knife out of her dress before cutting a line across her throat. The falls as the blood begins gushing from her neck down onto her chest. I am frozen, in my seat, a woman I knew, a friend of my family just killed herself in front of the entire coven. Dead. In seconds.

We all turn to Father Blackwood anxious to see what he does next. I know it is too late to heal Mildred but hope that she can still have a proper burial. Father Blackwood moves his eyes away from the dead body as people begin to move closer to the dead body, circling it like vultures waiting for the right time to attack. Before he can stop himself he yells, "All Hail, Mildred! Queen of the Feast!"

Everyone chants, "Hail Mildred! Queen of the Feast!"

Everyone runs to a table holding knives and quickly grabs one for themselves before dropping down to stab at Mildred's body. I am shoved left and right as people attempt to get to the body first in a hungry hysteria. I feel Bast grab my wrist and pull me in his arms. He holds me tightly so nobody can knock me down.

Eventually, everyone is crowded around her body and I watch in disgust as they begin to eat their sistren. The noises of the knives hacking into Mildred's dead body makes me sick. I burrow my face into Bast's chest, wetting his shirt with my tears. He tightens his hold on me as he whispers calming words in my ear.

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

Sabrina and I walk into the house with dead looks in our eyes, trying to forget what we just saw. I walk up the stairs with Aunt Zelda but Sabrina stops her, "Aunt Zelda?"

"Yes, Sabrina?", Aunt Zelda rigidly turns towards my sister.

"What would have happened if it was me or Gracelina who was selected queen and not Prudence? Would you have let them do to me what was done to Mildred?"

Aunt Zelda looks at us with eyes filled with certainty, "Never."

"But if it was the Dark Lord's will", I trail.

"It wouldn't have mattered", Aunt Zelda sighs before moving to walk back upstairs, I understood what she was going through Mildred was a close friend of hers, "Now please, Sabrina. I'm tired."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 75 10
Rebecca Spellman lives a normal teenage witch's life you could imagine. Little did she know, her life would be turned upside down pretty soon. Starti...
207K 5.8K 22
❝Her two worlds came crashing down, crushing her between them. Stuck at a crossroads, she had to make a choice...❞ In which everything a girl had gro...
34K 785 47
Zelda Spellman is a proud and dedicated witch. Cruel and unyielding matriach of the Spellman family. But what if Sabrina wasn't the only "halfbreed"...
7.4K 342 15
LUCFIER x OC - title not concretely decided yet - Adrienne Bathory is a witch in Greendale, raised by the sweet Spellmans. She attends the Church of...