Falling Slowly

By Dreaming_Love

Don't postpone what you want. Don't leave anything misunderstood. Make sure the people you care about know; m... More

Prologue
Chapter One: First Day of School
Chapter Two: Lunch
Chapter Three: Body & Mind
Chapter Four: Shadows of The Past
Chapter Five: Curiosity In Music
Chapter Six: Cautious Heart
Chapter Seven: Carefully Constructed
Chapter Eight: Unexpected
Chapter Nine: Lost Dreams Coming True
Chapter Ten: As If Things Couldn't Possibly Get Worst
Chapter Eleven: Start of Something New
Chapter Twelve: A Twist In My Story
Chapter Thirteen: Different
Chapter Fourteen: Running Away
Chapter Fifteen: Into The Dark We Go
Chapter Sixteen: Tough But Shattered Armor
Chapter Seventeen: Parents Are Gone
Chapter Eighteen: Every Night Is Another Night
Chapter Nineteen: Here You Are
Chapter Twenty: Watery Smiles
Chapter Twenty-One: Spotlight
Chapter Twenty-Two: By The Docks
Chapter Twenty-Three: That's How It Should Be
Chapter Twenty-Four: What Are Best Friends For?
Chapter Twenty-Five: Heavy Heart
Chapter Twenty-Six: Thanksgiving Dinner
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Something Good
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Overprotective Alpha Wolf and Mama Bear
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Packing, Secrets, and Covert Operations
Chapter Thirty: Traveling Through This Ghost Route
Chapter Thirty-Two: All I Want
Chapter Thirty-Three: Captured Heart
Chapter Thirty-Four: Everything Has a Season
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-One: Until the Ends of the Earth

205K 5.1K 721
By Dreaming_Love

I never post GIFS but Ly, being as awesome as she is, made me on of Liam and Anya! ♥ I am extremely sorry for the late update...but hopefully this long chappy makes up for my two week absence! :D

Happy Reading!

Chapter Thirty-One: Until the Ends of the Earth

Nearly three hours later, Liam took the exit ramp to Greensboro and drove until we found a Holiday Inn close to the freeway. I climbed out, stretching out my legs in front of me. I pulled my arms one at a time behind my head, stretching my muscles from the stiffness they’d have to endure today.  From across the roof of the car I saw Liam roll his shoulders as he made his way towards the back of the trunk and unloaded our suitcases.

“God,” I heard him huff as he set down my luggage. “What do you have in here, a body?”

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the handle of my suitcase as he shouldered his duffle bag and led the way to the entrance. “You are so cranky when you’re tired,” I teased.

He flashed me a crooked smile and greeted the concierge, asking for a suite with two beds, and handing over a credit card that looked oddly familiar.  I hadn’t noticed it before, but in the dim lighting of the lobby – the questions that I had had before our trip suddenly clicked. I opened my mouth but before I could say anything Liam shook his head, his eyes seeming to say, Later.

With the room ready and paid for, we received two room card keys and were ushered towards the elevator. It was a slow climb to the fourth floor, feeling like we would both just crumble in a heap from fatigue and exhaustion. Liam’s steps were heavy with weariness as we made our way down the hall to room 423. All I wanted was a shower and a soft, fluffy bed where I could lose myself in a dreamless sleep.

Finally reaching our destination, Liam opened the door to our suite and flicked on the light, flooding the rich colored room with warmth. The soft click of the door shutting reached my ears as I ventured further into the room and took the bed closer to heavy draped windows. I lifted my suitcase – with much difficulty – on top of the fluffy cream coverlet.

Liam wasn’t too far behind, throwing his keys onto the nightstand between our beds and flopping back onto the covers, shielding his eyes with his forearm.  He practically took up the entire bed with his tall stature. He hadn’t even bothered to remove his old, dirty Converse or change out of his jeans, exhaustion surpassing even the smallest detail.

It couldn’t have been more than five minutes that had passed when I heard the soft, distant sound of snoring. I flicked my eyes towards where he lay, his chest evenly rising and falling with every breath he took. I smiled and quietly headed towards the bathroom with my toiletries and pajamas.

I turned the knob to the hottest degree and shimmied out of my clothes. I grimaced as the boiling water scorched my skin for the first few seconds before it became accustomed to it. I knew that I should have brought my own shampoo and conditioner when the little samples they left in the room were barely enough for my thick and long hair. Closing my eyes, I bathed under the rivulets of water, wanting to stay for an eternity like this. It felt so good after a long day on the road.

But all good things must come to an end. The hot water turned luke warm and before I knew it, coldness had crept onto my skin. I turned off the faucet and grabbed a towel, drying myself off and putting on my favorite pink polka dot pajama bottoms and the Doctor Who t-shirt that I had begged Gemma to get me last Christmas.

Brushing my teeth and grabbing my clothes I headed back out into the room where Liam was still sound asleep. I tip-toed across the floor and dumped my dirty clothes by the window. As quietly as I could muster, I picked up my suitcase and set it on the floor. It was an epic fail. I lost control of the handle and it landed with a heavy thud. I bit my lip as Liam shifted his weight on the bed, his body facing me. My eyes widened and I held my breath, not wanting to wake him from his slumber.

After what seemed like a century, I resumed my activities without any further interruptions. He didn’t once stir as I unmade the bed and tossed the excess pillows to the floor. I was ready to settle into bed and turn off the lights when the image of him lying still caused a small smile to form on my lips.

I kneeled down at the foot of his bed and unlaced his shoes, setting each one down underneath the bed. He was such a heavy sleeper, nothing could ever disturb him. A war could be going on outside right by our window and he would never realize it until morning when he’d see the soot and destruction.

Okay, so maybe that was a bit extreme. But it was the truth. He was a rock that was impossible to move once he’d succumbed to unconsciousness.

Taking one of my sheets, I draped it over him, tucking it right under his chin. My hand involuntarily reached out towards him, running the pad of my thumb across his dark brow. My eyes flickered to his slightly parted lips, and as hard as I could I tried to remember how it felt to feel his lips on mine. But I couldn’t remember. All that I could see in my mind’s eye was the heartbroken look on his face when I’d rejected and ran away from him.

A small sigh escaped his lips and I backed away faster than you could say “A dirty llama riding a bicycle.”

Settling into bed I flicked off the last light, sending the room into a dark abyss. I smiled to myself and buried my face into my pillow. I sneaked one last glance at Liam and closed my eyes, welcoming the sleep that swept me under like a lolling ocean wave.

*

“Anya…Anya…” Shaking. Someone was shaking me; the image of a girl bleeding and damaged gathered in the arms of a boy fading into darkness. I opened my eyes and found Liam leaning over me, the sunlight from the window illuminating his body like some sort of angelic being. His hair was sleek wet, making it a shade darker than natural; while his eyes were a clear ocean blue, laced with utmost urgency, jolting me awake.

“What’s going on?” I asked, untangling myself from the sheets.

“We overslept.” He helped me out of bed and I quickly gathered a change of clothes from my luggage.

“Does this throw of the schedule?”

He ran a hand through his hair as he crossed the room to his duffle bag, searching for something. “Just by a few hours. Can you be ready in half an hour?”

I nodded. Seconds passed before I realized that he hadn’t seen me. He turned his attention towards me and assessed my eyes, searching for an answer. I wanted to slap myself for being mentally incapable in the morning.

Yeah,” I croaked out, scurrying into the bathroom.

*

Twenty minutes later I was ready to go. We hustled out of the suite with our belongings and headed down the lobby. Liam was practically bouncing with an enigma that was oddly comforting.

We checked out in less than five minutes; a new record that we were setting compared to all the times I’d been on the road with my parents. From what I gathered, I guessed that there would be no time for some much needed R&R, unless it involved sleeping.

But that was the thing about Liam. I thought one thing and in the end he proved me wrong.

“When’s the next town?” I asked casually after we’d been on the road for a half hour. He’d been unusually quiet like there was something plaguing his mind.

“Hm?”

I flashed him a dubious look which he didn’t see and asked him again.

“Oh. We should be in Durham in another half hour, but judging from the traffic it’ll be maybe an hour.”

I groaned.

“Hey, it’s not my fault. You’re the one who slept in.”

“Me?” I exclaimed incredulously. “Well, if you were up so early why didn’t you wake me up?”

He didn’t say anything, but there was an amused smile tugging his lips. “Ha. I win.”

“Didn’t know we were playing a game.”

I smiled, looking out at the lush countryside. “I’ve been keeping score for months now.”

“Really?”

I turned to him, meeting his lingering gaze. His eyes were tinged with mischief, and I reached forward and flicked his nose like he did to me. His smile turned into a carefree grin.

“Yeah. And so far I’m winning.”  

*

We reached Durham in an hour, stopping for gas and food. My belly was practically upset with me for neglecting it nourishment for two hours. Liam was famished by how much he ordered at the 7 Eleven. I didn’t even know where he put it all. I’d be concerned for his health if he wasn’t so fit; which made me wonder what he did to work out because those arm muscles of his did not just appear out of thin air.

He ordered three quarter pound hotdogs and a Big Gulp Coke slush, making my Turkey sandwich and Kiwi Strawberry Arizona look like a happy meal.

Saying our thanks to the cashier, we grabbed our food, and were on the road again. I ended up being Liam’s personal assistant, handing him extra ketchup and mayonnaise he’d grabbed from the dispensers. He’d also entrusted me in holding his slush because it didn’t fit in the cup holders.

“I’ll tell you right now that I will not be held liable if this spills all over the car.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “Unbelievable.”

“What?” I asked, setting the drink between my thighs and taking a bite of my sandwich.

He shook his head biting into his hotdog, while leisurely keeping his left hand on the wheel and his eyes on the road.

“So…”

“So,” he repeated, averting his eyes from the road for a split second and asking for his drink. I handed it to him and I waited patiently, watching his Adam’s apple move up and down as he gulped down the slushy goodness.

“Alright, so what’s in Richmond?”

He handed me back the drink and I took it, barely able to contain the excitement running through my mind. What was in Richmond that had Liam racing towards the beautiful city?

“Lots of things,” he said ominously.

“Obviously.” I could have told him that. It didn’t take a genius to know that there were lots of things in Richmond.

“Feisty.”

“You know what I mean. What are we going to do?” I shook his arm and he laughed. “Tell me. Pleaseeeeeee. The suspense is killing me.”

“Don’t you go with that saying, you know…the one about a cat or something.”

I furrowed my eyebrows. “Curiosity killed the cat?”

“Yeah, that one. If you were a cat you’d be dead already.”

“Fortunately for me, I’m not. Now,” I twisted in my seat and faced him, “stop changing the subject and tell me.”

He flashed me an infuriating coy smile and I groaned. He was not going to tell me no matter how much I pestered him. Giving up, I sat back in my seat and crossed my arms over my chest. I might have been acting like a petulant child but it wasn’t fair! I really wanted to know where and what we were doing.

He had been exhibiting some strange and reserved behavior since morning, and I could only conclude that there was something he’d planned in the city. It was the reason why we were out of Greensboro in such a hurry. Plus, I hadn’t forgotten what he’d said last night. Add that with my mountain of suspicion, and I knew there was a mystery to be solved here.

“C’mon. Don’t be like that.”

“Like what?” I grumbled.

He reached forward and cradled my chin with his hand. “Like that.”

“Can you at least give me a hint?”

“Nope,” he said popping the P.

“You are so infuriating.”

He let out an easy laugh and reached for the trash bag by my feet and dumped the empty hotdog cartons inside.

“Where do you put it all?”

“What?

“The food.

His brows furrowed down the middle like they did when he was trying to figure out a difficult math calculation.  

“Umm…in here?” He patted his stomach, a triumphant smile displayed fully on his lips.

I shook my head and smiled. “You are such a dork.”

“You love it. I remember when we were eight and you were oh-so fascinated with my Pokémon collection.”  

I gasped. “That’s because they were awesome. You had like every known Pokémon in the planet. Do you know how huge that is?! How could I not be interested?”

“I had a feeling that’s why you remained being my friend. You just wanted my Pokémon.”

I rolled my eyes. “Cocky much?”

A devilish grin tugged at his lips and he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. “Not cocky. Confident.”

“Ha-ha. Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night.”

“And it sure does.”

I giggled. “What are we doing?”

He shrugged, unable to hide the wide grin on his face. “Don’t know. But Richmond is just half an hour away.”

*

It wasn’t half an hour. Okay, no, let me rephrase that. We did reach Richmond in half an hour, but it wasn’t where we were going. It was another hour before we reached our destination at 4:47 exactly. My eyes had been practically glued to the dashboard where the minutes ticked by an agonizingly slow pace. Traffic had been a horror, and once we parked in the lot, I practically jumped out of the car with uncontainable elation.

I breathed in the cool, salty air and ran towards Liam where I kissed him spontaneously on the cheek.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

He chuckled and spread his arms out, “Welcome to Yorktown Beach.”

I beamed. “This is…amazing.” I was completely at a loss for words as I stared at the vast blue ocean in front of me. A few bodies lingered on the shore; kids running around and splashing in the water, women scattered on the sand sunbathing, and men of various ages taking leisurely strolls or playing volleyball.

Shielding my eyes from the penetrating rays of what was left of the sun; I saw the distant outline of a bridge, looming around the town. It was massive; nothing like I had ever seen before. To my left there was a dock, much like the one we had in Fairhope. It brought a smile to my lips, wanting my family and friends to be witnessing what I was. But whatever they were doing I knew that they were having the time of their lives like I was with Liam.

“How about we make the most of the day we have left.”

I turned my attention to him and saw a green plaid blanket tucked under his arm.

I smiled. “What do you have in mind?”

*

“Eeek! Liam!” My voice raised an octave as he chased me towards the water, discarding the blanket in a heap along with his shoes, car keys, and phone. Hastily, I unzipped the light black sweater I wore and discarded it near the shore, toeing off my sandals in the process.

“No!” I whirled around, my breath labored as I put my hands up in defense. He was a few feet away, a dangerous glint in his eyes. “Don’t come near me,” I threatened, backing away slowly from him. The back of my feet brushed against the waves and I shivered from the freezing temperature.

“It’s so cold! Don’t do it!”

He grinned, mischievously and ran forward. I squealed and trudged into the water, cringing as the coldness prickled my skin. Liam caught me, wrapping his arms around my waist and swinging me around.

“That’s no fair!”

“And how’s that?”

“You are stronger and faster. The waves practically swallowed me up.”

He chuckled and set me down. “All’s fair in love and war.”

I grinned and splashed him, running as far away as possible from him. I didn’t get very far and when he reached me I was assaulted with water. We were both soaked to the marrow when we submerged from the watery depth and laid out on the sand, the blanket forgotten.

“Stay here,” he breathed out.

“Where are you…?”

He trotted off into the distance and I smiled lazily, looking up at the clear blue sky as it turned into a sea of vibrant pinks and oranges. I was alone, the peace and tranquility surreal as I lay back, hiking up one of my legs. I closed my eyes, taking in the sweet salty water and burying deep into the warmth of the sand.

It couldn’t have been anymore perfect as I felt the cool spring breeze on my skin. The sound of crashing waves centered my being, and I felt weightless; like I was floating away in my very own soap bubble.

The space next to me was soon occupied, but I didn’t need to open my eyes to know who filled it. I was hyper aware of him, my brain somehow remembering the cinnamon scent that he carried even when he was drenched in salty water.

A shadow cast over me and I pried my eyes open, my heart in my throat as his dazzling blue eyes paralyzed me.

“Don’t move, alright?”

“Why? Is there a sea urchin…”

He shook his head. “No.” I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I was holding and glared at him.

“Don’t scare me like that.”

He flicked my nose and moved to my right. I tilted my head in his direction and saw that there was a pile of sea shells in front of him.

“Where did you get all those?” There were all sorts of colors, the last rays glinting on top of their smooth surface.

“Found them around the beach. Where did you think I’d gone?”

“I don’t know…maybe to go get us some ice cream?”

He smiled. “We’ll get ice cream after it’s what you want.”

I nodded. “Yes. Oooh and maybe a burger. I’m starving. You?”

“Now that you mention it…” He was fully preoccupied with intricately placing the seashells around my frame like an outline of a snow angel. I watched him in awe, his lips slightly parted in concentration reminding me off the night before when he slept peacefully. The wet t-shirt clung to his body, outlining the muscles underneath.

His hands were nimble, swift, and strong. They were capable of harming someone’s jaw and knowing their way carefully around an engine. They could also be tender, as soft a feather as they caressed my skin.

“What are you thinking of?”

“Hm?”

“You’re smiling.”

I bit my lip. “Can’t a girl smile without being questioned?”

He looked down at the ground and back at me, a smile fighting on his lips. Slowly as if his movements were unsure, he loomed over me, closer than when he’d come back from his scavenger hunt.

My breath caught in my throat. We gazed into each other’s eyes, the light of the sun dimming as the seconds passed by until his eyes were no longer a cool blue but shining gray.

“Anya.”

It was one word. My name. It was about the only thing that could cause my heart to rapidly thud inside my chest. Liam leaned forward, his hand caressing my cheek. I leaned into his palm and closed my eyes. Anticipation coursed through my bloodstream as I waited for the feel of his lips against mine. But when all I felt was the warm press of his lips on my forehead, I couldn’t help but be disappointed.

Once I opened my eyes again I found Liam sitting next to me, staring out at the dark ocean. I sat up, mindful to not destroy the display of seashells around me.

We sat in silence for a long while, neither wanting to disturb the calmness of the sea. In the distance, the bridge was aglow with lanterns strung across its metal hinges. No other living soul was left on the beach, but the sounds of people laughing and enjoying their night were carried from afar.

“Can we stay here?” I asked.

He turned to me and cocked his head. “Here? Like on the beach?”

I nodded. “We could sleep under the stars or,” I titled my head across the beach where some sort of party or festival was being held, “we could join them.”

He weighed my words and then pushed himself up, brushing off the sand that clung to his skin. His eyes were shining with a secret smile that was contagious. I didn’t know what he was churning around in his mind, but whatever it was I knew that I would follow him until the ends of the earth because being with him was where I wanted to be.

*************************************************************************************************************

Author's Note ツ

Thoughts? Post them below in the comments! I'd love to hear them :) Also, vote, vote, vote, comment, fan? PLEASE vote if you like this story. Really it's just a click of a button. It's all I ask after slaving away for hours xD

Thank you to all of you who have been doing so! It's because of you that this story is where its at :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2 0 1
when two childhood friends meet after many,will the fall in love or just be friends.
4.3K 180 16
It's easy for a person's life to change. All you need to hear is one bad thing about them and misconceptions fly high. The truth is though, not every...
492 18 11
Whenever you saw her, she was always smiling. She never showed an ounce of sadness. Her stories unravel as you get to know her and deep within yourse...
66 0 24
A girl who was distraught fell in love with the wrong guy in the past. As she moves forward, a little secret has been waiting to be unravelled. A new...