Chapter Twenty-Five: Heavy Heart

Beautiful graphic to the side is made by my friend Carls (angelordevil_211) ♥ Thank you so much for it, kiddo! I LOVE it! :D 

Well, without further delay here is the next chapter! Take a listen to the song on the side. Definitely one of my all time favorites :) Hope you all enjoy! Happy Reading! ♥♥♥

Chapter Twenty-Five: Heavy Heart

The minute the final bell rang; Liam hastily sprang to his feet and marched out of the class. My brows knitted together in confusion as my gaze travelled between the empty seat beside me and the door. It left me completely frazzled as I packed up my things and filed out of the classroom with the rest of the students.

The week had gone by terribly fast. I felt like time was being stolen from me as the days became unrecognizable. Thanksgiving was next Thursday and that meant our annual Thanksgiving dinner with the Weatherly’s and Novak’s. I couldn’t wait to eat Mrs. Weatherly’s famous pumpkin pie or Mrs. Novak’s homemade chicken pot pie. Then there was Mom’s delicious turkey that she made every year. Unfortunately, the men in the family – including Hayden for that matter – just sat in the Novak’s den and watched a football game. Sometimes, Gemma and I would sneak away from the kitchen to join them for a while. A girl couldn’t miss a football game – especially in the Vanchester/Weatherly househould –no matter what. Cooking could be put on hold for an hour…or two.

I was invested deep in thoughts of turkey, mash potatoes, and football – my mouth practically watering at the imaginary table I’d conjured in my mind – that I abruptly stopped when I saw Liam talking to Gemma by her locker. The person behind me crashed into my shoulder, sending a sharp, dull ache down my arm.

“Hey!” the girl said, her eyes flashing with annoyance. “Watch where you’re going, freak.”

“Sorry,” I mumbled. My reply must have satisfied her, but before she sauntered off she rolled her eyes as if my presence alone caused her great affliction.

I veered to the side, trying to analyze ex-best friend talking to my current best friend. Liam’s hands were stuffed in the front pockets of his jeans, his gaze intently trained on Gemma. I squinted my eyes in their direction, noting that she was talking to him.

Gemma was talking to Liam.

In public.

What in the world could they possibly be talking about? Is that the reason why he practically ran out at the end of Calculus, to talk to my best friend? If that was the reason, well, it made sense. If he wanted to talk to Gem alone then he’d have to ditch me. The question was: what did he need to talk to her about?

I felt the anxiety settle at the pit of my stomach as I crossed the hallway and headed towards them. My eyes widened in disbelief as I grew closer and saw Liam signing. He was lightly tapping the right side of his temple with his right fist. His eyes were focused on Gem as he repeated the sign three times with a faint smile on his lips. There was a sly, cunning smirk on Gemma’s face which only made what he was signing even more confusing.

I came to a stop beside Gemma, cocking my head to the side. “Why are you calling my friend an asshole?”

His hand fell from his temple, his brows knitting together in confusion. “What?”

Gemma laughed beside me, her eyes shining with amusement. “Think of it as a hazing ritual.”

I laughed, a wide grin plastered on my face as I saw Liam run a hand through his hair as if the motion alone could dispel his embarrassment.