Chapter Twenty: Watery Smiles

Beautiful graphic to the side is thanks to my friend, Courtney (platypus1987)! ♥ 

Chapter Twenty-Watery Smiles

By the end of the day, I decided to tell Liam about my adoption.

I’d been thinking about it since we went to Billy’s Ice Cream Parlor after leaving the music shop. We’d split a large waffle of Rocky Road dosed with sprinkles and miniature marshmallows. It had been like old times, sitting in the parlor listening to Frank Sinatra’s jazzy hits. I had to fight him in order to get any ice cream myself. The boy was a monster when it came to sweets, ravishing spoonfuls of deliciousness, while I had to fend for myself. At one point I even hogged the waffle and took several bites. But that failed miserably. The next second I was assaulted with a brain freeze and Liam’s ringing laughter.

I don’t know what changed between us, but I glad that it was this way. I just hoped that it wouldn’t end once school began first thing tomorrow morning.

I told Liam to stay put in the living room, while I fetched the folder from Dad’s study. I clutched the file to my chest; memories of Friday surfaced in my mind as I saw the documents flutter to the floor; anger blinding rationality and logic.

Shuffling back into the room, Liam’s gaze settled on me, his eyes shifting downward to the file in my hands. I took a deep breath, settling into the seat next to him. My fingers drummed on the folder, doubt surfacing in my mind. What would he think? What would he even say? There were no words of consolation to say to something like this. I hadn’t even mentioned the folder to Gemma when she came over yesterday. We were too busy cleaning up the mess I made on the kitchen floor.  It was then that I vowed never to drink ever again in my life.

Gemma left shortly after as I was in no condition to talk about anything in particular – though I did remember the distinct look of disappointment and resignation in her eyes.

“The suspense is killing me, babe.”

I bit my lip, turning my attention to him. “What did I tell you about calling me babe?”

His voice was terse when he said, “I don’t know. I wasn’t listening.”

I grunted in annoyance.

“I’m joking, babe.”

I threw my hands up in the air. “Stop saying that!”

An easy going smiled slipped onto his lips. He covered his ears with his hands and took on a look that only a ten year old could master. “I can’t hear youuuu.”

I grabbed the nearest object in close proximity to me (which was a throw pillow) and flung it at him. “Hey! Careful with the cargo!”

I rolled my eyes. He was such a jerk.

Liam chuckled, sighing in mock defeat. “Okay. So what’s this about? The suspense is killing me. Please don’t tell me you have like three months to live. It would explain the…”

He trailed off, his eyes flickering to the floor.

My eyes had widened at his assumption, but only because it was painfully close to the truth. But then… “What are you talking about? Explain what?”

He rubbed the back of his neck, his voice gruff and low when he said, “I-It’s nothing…so what’s in the folder?” His hand reached out to grab it from my hands, but I snatched it away. I stood up, hands on my hips as I looked down at him with a look that made him flinch.

“Okay, okay,” he said. He breathed out a deep sigh, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his thighs. “Remember when I stayed over to take care of you when you fell sick at school?” I nodded, remembering that day clearly. “I had some downtime and I couldn’t help but notice the list on your desk.”