Wolf

By notlittlebirdy

Lieutenant Amelia Irfan is best known as a combat sniper in a special operations unit called Wolf. They are a... More

Introduction - A Day at Work
Chapter 1 - Operation Bayan
Chapter 2 - Operation Belarus
Chapter 3 - Operation Cronos
Chapter 5 - Operation Dawn
Chapter 6 - Operation Lazarus
Chapter 7 - Off Day!
Chapter 8 - Operation Adam
Chapter 9 - A Break After Death
Chapter 10 - Operation Welcome Home Party ( 1 Year Later)
Chapter 11 - Operation Lilith
Chapter 12 Part 1 - Operation Youth
Chapter 12 Part 2: Operation Save Me!
Chapter 13 - Operation Snow Highlands
Chapter 14 - Euphoria
Chapter 15: Batshit Crazy
Chapter 16: Home?
Chapter 17 - Sour Then Sweet
Chapter 18 - The Warring Groups
Chapter 19 - Dionysius
Chapter 20: Operation Die Hard 1
Chapter 20: Operation Die Hard II (Ishikawa Kirishima's POV)
Chapter 21 - Anpanman
Chapter 22 - Operation Newcomer
Chapter 23 - Operation Takeover
Chapter 24 - Operation Kidnapped Businessman
Chapter 25: War Hunting Season Part 1
Chapter 25: War Hunting Season Part 2
Chapter 26: Operation Easkerton Fortress
Chapter 27: Operation Salji Tebal
Chapter 28: Operation Yacht Date
Chapter 29 - Introducing Raikou Akihito
Chapter 30 - Operation: The Final Problem
Epilogue

Chapter 4 - Operation Titan

181 6 0
By notlittlebirdy

We touched down on a foreign country's airport at noon. Immigration was a breeze and we met up with a mercenary who's been waiting for us at the airport tarmac. Piling into two trucks, we hit the country's roads and he led us to a covert base filled with intelligence officers and other armed mercenaries called the Annex.

We were on a mission to locate a known terrorist cell there and dismantle it if necessary, and Scott had mentioned that there was a base that we could bunk in as there is no known army base in this country. Liaising with our management, we were allowed to stay in with them.

It has been fourteen days here. The weather is terribly hot and humid, so you're either always perspiring or parched. With the fact that everything else is dusty, we stripped down to our barest layers and made ourselves comfortable as we worked.

Suddenly, a problem came in.

Yesterday, an ambassador came to visit in an attempt to ease the border tensions between the neighbouring countries and he bunked in the compound not too far away from the Annex.

The ambassador had recruited a group of mercenaries called Black Forest but one look at them, and we all knew they were ill-equipped and lacked the experience.

Thanks to his arrival, tension rose in the state and locals were not happy with the intervention. News and radio reports were monitored, and they were all saying the same. The local people wanted to solve their nation's problems their own way, but foreigners were interrupting their effort.

It was a desperate plea to stop.

So, we were all ordered to remain in the Annex as we didn't want to intentionally cause more problems if we were to prowl around the area. We've been barred in since nine in the morning and the boys were restless. They were so used to moving about that they didn't know what to do when they were given the time to do it.

I used the time to laze around reading a book I had brought along and laid down on the sofa – making myself comfortable as I read.

"Hey, I heard you cried when I got injured in the bomb blast."

I glanced to my left to see Keith who had squatted down next to me. He had recovered in time to join this mission and he was looking at me rather expectantly as he waited for my answer.

"Who the fuck told you that?" I asked flatly.

He burst into laughter at my brusque statement and he got up to ruffle my hair before he left me to my own devices. Knowing who was the tattletale, I resumed my reading with a frown as I realised that even boys do gossip amongst each other.

My moment of weakness has been the topic of gossip. It was so embarrassing.

11:02pm

Scared voices could be heard from the walkie-talkie I had set on the table earlier in the day.

"Can you hear us? This is Black Forest from the compound! We're under attack!"

I glanced at the walkie-talkie sharply. "Can anybody hear us? We need back-up ASAP! We've barricaded ourselves in and we're outnumbered!"

I sat up quickly. "Frank!" I yelled.

"I hear ya!" his voice could be heard from inside.

Knowing that I'd be sent there for recon, I kept my book and got my gear on. I pulled on a shirt before strapping on my gloves, and vest. Lastly, I wore the earpiece and made sure it went through

As I was tightening the strap on my helmet, Frank entered the room followed by Lucas and Tom. The trio looked grim and I wondered what had happened. It must've been worse than I expected it to be because I had never seen them hold that expression before in my life.

"The reports are not clear but there is one thing that we know: the Ambassador and the Black Forest guys are in danger and we're the only back-up that they have within a mile," he explained. "I need you to go in there to make certain of the situation. We'll be behind you."

I nodded firmly and grabbed my sniper rifle off the table, checked it once before slinging it across my shoulder. Marcus entered the room knowing full well that I was dispatched and threw a bag filled with ammunition, nodding at my unasked question.

"Q will follow you," Frank added. "It's too far to reach on foot. Get him geared up."

Lucas grabbed the walkie-talkie and radioed to the rookie. "Oi rookie, get off your ass and gear up!" Lucas ordered. "You're being summoned!"

True to what Frank had mentioned, the compound was far on foot and it was a pain in the ass to jog across the streets with no cover as we all knew the entire city is on lockdown. Their eyes would be on alert for any foreign soldiers hanging about alone.

A minute later, the rookie jogged out from the living quarters and joined me in the courtyard where a vehicle was already parked and waiting for us to use. Quinn looked harried and I was sure he was unnerved by the sudden order given to him. I guess he was unused to being in the forefront.

"Kid, you good?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am!"

I jerked my head to the left and brought him to the hood of the vehicle. I pulled out a folded map from one of the pockets in my pants and laid it flat on the hood. Spreading it evenly, I switched on my flashlight so we could see clearer.

"We're here," I said, pointing at the box. "We're heading to Point 1 first and so I need you to park the vehicle somewhere around here so we won't be detected as we enter the building because I don't know if it'll be occupied. Do you think you can do that?"

He nodded. "Yes, ma'am!"

"After we park here, we're going to storm into Point 1 to ensure that it's empty and I'm going to use the area to scope out the situation," I continued. "Frank needs an eye to know what's going on there because the Black Forest guys don't know shit."

He nodded again and I returned everything into my pocket before we got into the vehicle together. I've memorised the strategic points where I can use as a vantage point.

We're going to the first one.

"Open the gates!" I radioed.

With Quinn at the wheel, we left the safety of the base and drove to the area where I had told him to. It was a strategic point where we could conceal a getaway vehicle if the need arises to. It took us three minutes to reach and Q shut off the lights and engine quickly as we got out.

We had to cut across a small strip of forest to get to Point 1 and I gave silent orders to Q: follow me and keep as quiet as possible.

Trekking across dark forests were part of the job and we emerged on the other side without being detected and slipped into the shadows again once I've ascertained where I was.

I jogged quietly, a hand on the rifle to stop it from bumping against my hip as I mainly kept in the shadows. Catching sight of Point 1 in the distance, we ran towards it. Pulling out a handgun from its holster, we needed to make sure it's empty before I resume position.

Point 1 was an abandoned building - two stories with two opened windows facing the compound. It looked like it used to be someone's home but vacated due to safety reasons. Here it stands crumbling and decaying with age.

I ran to the nearest doorway and pressed my back against the wall, switched the safety off before I entered the building. Q followed behind me as quietly as he could.

Checking all the rooms on the first floor to note that it was empty, I headed upstairs. Stairs are noisy and it'll alert whoever was inside if you're not careful.

Pressing our backs against the walls as we climbed up, we had to rely heavily on our senses because it was too dark to be sure. Threading slowly upwards, we got to the second floor and checked the only other room before I let out a sigh of relief.

"It's empty," I murmured. "Stay low, Q."

Trekking backwards to the window, I looked out and was able to see part of the compound. However, the smoke column was blocking most of my view and I knew this point was not good to report any. Before I could move, the back gates opened up and I saw the insurgents leaving.

"Amelia, give a sitrep!" Frank radioed in suddenly.

"Frank, three vehicles has left the back gate of the compound," I replied and swallowed hard when I saw it. "The estate is on fire. I don't think they could make it out."

"Roger that."

"I am at Point 1, the smoke has worsened and unable to see anything. I'm moving to Point 3."

"Roger, we're moving out."

Sighing, we left the place and headed to the next lookout point which was placed at a higher location, farther away from the compound; hoping that I could see more from there. The smoke and fire was not helping me work at all. 

11:10pm

Point 3 was also a household estate but twice larger in size and it had a roof which faced the compound. It was abandoned and forgotten due to the war so we checked that it was empty first before we headed up to the four storey building.

The roof of the building gave me a good vantage lookout point and I was able to see everything from here – despite the distance.

Telling Q to keep low, I kept my handgun and set up my rifle as a I made myself comfortable seated on the floor. I rested the rifle on the ammunition bag and looked through the scope.

"Looks like one of them managed to get out from the raging inferno, Chief," I reported, after scanning the area carefully.

"How about the Ambo?"

"No, only Bradley," I said. "He don't look too good either. He must've breathed in all of the smoke."

I looked around, trying to find targets of opportunity, scanning the area carefully. I knew that Frank will send Lucas, Keith and Tom to the front gate and the rest will storm the back. I needed to feed them with information before they reached the compound.

"Lucas, I see you," I said. "A tactical and thirty tangos are at the front gate. The compound's own security personnel has fled the area. Looks like some March 17 guys are joining. On your right."

"Roger that, Amelia!"

As soon as they reached the crest where the enemy could see them, they began firing and I took out the tactical. Seeing the column of smoke and fire spiralling in the night sky, I grinned and fixed my attention to the back gate.

"Amelia, do you see the rest of the Black Forest guys?" Frank asked.

"No view of any," I said.

"Crap! Who are these guys?" Keith exclaimed. "Are they one of us?"

"If they ain't firing, they aren't against us," Tom answered.

"Push forward!" Frank ordered. "Get to the front gate."

"Roger!"

"Captain, we're at the back gate," the vanguard team reported. "Looks empty, the security isn't here."

I scanned the area where the back gate was, seeing the rookie team headed by Marcus were climbing up the wall and into the compound. I looked away when I lost sight of them, finding other things to look out for.

"Amelia, head to Point 2!"

"Roger that," I said and glanced over at the rookie. "Let's go, Q."

11:25pm

We packed up and left the deserted building, heading left to where Point 2 was. It was a lookout point for the compound – a high steel structure meant for security personnel to use to their advantage.

"We go through the back gate," I murmured. "Point 2 is in the compound. Frank and the others would have the area secured by the time we enter."

Q nodded. "Let's go to the vehicle."

The ride to the compound from Point 3 was short and we got in via the back gate, seeing Marcus waving us in. Instructing Q to drive to where Frank was, we got out and separated into our own duties.

I located Point 2 and headed there. It was damn high and I had to scale up the ladder – hoping it would sustain my weight as I climbed up. Reaching one of the landings, I took my position and made myself comfortable.

"Have anyone seen the Ambo?!" Frank demanded over the radio. "Bradley, have you seen him? Weren't you with him?"

I looked over at Bradley who's face was streaked black from smoke and stray tears. His eyes were red and he was blinking rapidly against the dryness of his irises.

"I lost him," he said. His voice was trembling. "He was just with me. I... I didn't know where he went."

Frank didn't ask more and I looked away, panning at the gates and walls - scanning for targets.

"Frank, a lot of men are coming in and they're armed. I don't know if they're March 17 folks," I reported and let out a sigh. "Someone left the back gate wide open."

"Keith, get Benjamin and Wesley to head to the security tower. Where the CCTVs are and retrieve important data," Frank ordered. "Seems like one of the Black Forest guy has barricaded himself in it."

"Roger that."

"Tom, get Q to barricade the back gate," Frank ordered. "Be careful. We don't know the difference between the March 17 soldiers and the enemy."

"Roger that boss."

"Amelia, get your ass down here."

I got up, bringing up my rifle with me and I climbed down the outpost to where the rest of the team were. Jogging across the compound, I slung the rifle across my shoulder and got my handgun out from the holster.

I ran across the buildings and headed to the front courtyard where the team was assembled. Frank was ordering the rest of the team to bring in the vehicles to the front courtyard. Just as I arrived, two Black Forest men were carrying a dead body from within the blazing inferno and set him on the patio before they ran off.

Bradley scrambled forward to the corpse and he turned white as sheet. He kept repeating the same word over and over - under his breath as he dry-heaved. Frank went up to him, shoved him aside to ascertain the dead body.

"Who is that?" Frank demanded.

"It's... it's the IT guy," Bradley mumbled. "I was just with him."

"What?!"

"I was just with him!"

"Calm down, Brad!" Keith shouted as they returned from their task, carrying folders and files while they brought back another shell-shocked mercenary. "There's no point in panicking in this situation."

"Get his body in the truck," Frank ordered.

"Are we still gonna find the Ambo?" Keith asked.

"No, nobody could've survived that," Frank said flatly. "We set all these in and we head back to the Annex. They're gonna hit there next."

We got everything in, and we allowed the Black Forest guys to exit the compound first - taking another random vehicle they managed to steal. Seeing them leave, we entered the vehicles and returned back to the Annex.

12am

The ride to the Annex was quiet as we knew it would be a long night tonight. Six hours till dawn and we need to stay alive till then. As soon as we got back, we dispersed as we got ready to shut down the Annex. As Frank went inside to speak with the agents and mercenaries to buckle up, we began fortifying our formation.

There were four blocks in this place, and we were paired off to each building.

Tower 1 & Zombie Land: Frank and Lucas

Block B: Tom and Wesley

Block C: Quinn, Marcus and I

Block D: Wesley and Keith

The mercenaries took Block A.

We were all crowded in the armoury – reloading our rifles and bringing in more ammunition along with us. We were silent as we worked, there was no jokes being said, since there was no time to play around as we begin to do what we do best.

"Get hydrated and gear up for the next round," Frank advised. "Get some food in you as well. We don't know when they'll hit."

"Yes, sir!"

I made my way to the sick bay to get a cold water bottle from the only fridge in the Annex. Taking a bottle out, I took another a few more and tossed them over to the rookies who had followed suit. The trio looked a little pale underneath all that bravado.

"Lieutenant, do you have any... words of advice for entering this battle?" Benjamin asked in a quiet voice. "How do you appear so calm all the time?"

I was thoughtful as I drank up and washed away the grime and dirt on my skin. It was an honest question and one worth answering. "You'd grow into it eventually. I wasn't this calm all the time. I would be quaking," I said with a shrug. "This is all from experience."

The trio looked at the other. "The best way is to learn from your seniors," I explained. "Observe how they move, how they react and how they think. Why they do the way do, why they move in such a way that defies the nature of logic. But you can't afford to make a mistake, you see. Not this kind of job."

"How was your first mission, Lieutenant?" Wesley asked curiously.

I paused to think. That was many years ago. "My first mission was a bad one, it was almost like this situation and I came face to face with civilians that were massacred," I replied. "It gave me nightmares for months. I vomited at the sight."

They shivered upon my explanation. Laughing at their reactions, I neared and patted their shoulders before telling them to head to their respective blocks once they were done. The insurgents could come anytime soon and we needed to be battle ready.

Heading to Block C, I climbed up the catladder and noticed Marcus was already on the roof preparing the ammunition needed for the upcoming battle.

Sergeant Marcus Watson was an engineer, so he was in charge of improving the weapons, armour and communication devices. He was the best in what he does, and he was one of the rare few that loved to upgrade his own weapons, and especially make his own bullets.

"Hey Marcus," I greeted as I walked along the roof, looking around the place -trying to locate a good position before I sat down with my back pressed against the parapet. "You brought enough ammo?"

"Of course I did, what do you take me for?" he retorted and tossed a bag of ammo over to me. "They're 7.92mm, fastest and deadly."

"You hate the 9mms so much," I commented as I pulled the bag over towards me, zipping it open to see the contents.

"Never trust a 9mm."

"Who said that?" I asked.

Quinn soon joined us on the rooftop and took a seat in-between us. Marcus looked up from his tinkering, and I noticed his eyes had a twinkle in it. I let out a laugh at his expression, knowing that he was the one who bothered saying such a term.

"You're such a nerd!"

12:13am.

"I want all the interior lights switched off," Frank ordered. "Keep the exterior lights on. We're like sitting ducks out here."

"Hey, Viper!"

Viper, the mercenary working for the Annex was in-charge of the exterior cameras and lighting. He was tasked to keep an eye on them. "Hang on!" he exclaimed. He was flipping through a book. "I'm trying!"

"Fucking hurry up!"

"Hey, are those cars leaving from the neighbour's compound?" Keith asked quizzically. "What's going on? Hey! Wait!"

"What's happened, Keith?"

"We've just lost our local security personnel," he answered. "Is it just me or that they know more than we do?"

"They should be," Marcus replied.

"Hey Frank, where do you think they'd come from?"

"When they come, they'll be coming from Zombie Land."

12:17am.

"That's odd, that police car just slowed down and sped back up," Tom spoke.

"The entire country knows we're hold up in here."

12:18am.

"Lucas?"

"I see a couple of local shepherds making their way down," he reported.

"Boss, I see a group of unknowns amassing at the parking lot up West," Keith reported. "About 15 tangos."

"Yo, two police cars just pulled up there."

"Do you think they're March 17 guys?"

"How the fuck do I know? We can barely tell the difference."

"Those guys are on the bad guy's side."

12:20am

"This is where we make a stand, Lucas!"

"Hold up, I see five tangos approaching behind the two shepherds," he said. "They're holding something, but I can't see what it is."

"Unless you see a weapon on them, do not shoot," Frank warned. "We are not going to prison for them."

"They're breaking off. It's game time."

"Lucas, I see 7 tangos by the post."

"I see em. Let em come."

More of the insurgents broke off between South and Southwest end of the Annex, spreading the area between Tower 1, Block C and D. They held no formation as they scrambled between abandoned concrete posts and trying to blend in with the darkness.

But we got the moonlight and our night vision on our side.

"Are we cleared hot to shoot?" Lucas asked.

"See a weapon, shooter's discretion."

"Do not shoot unless I say so," Frank warned. "We are not going to prison because of these assholes. Wait for them to shoot first, then we shoot!"

"Yes, sir!"

I glanced over to the rookie who was fidgeting – he looked awkward in that half-seated position. "Right leg forwards, twist your torso a little and relax," I instructed. "Get in a position that you're most comfortable in. That rifle packs a mean punch."

The numbers of the insurgents filling up the field on the south quadrupled within a few minutes.

"I got AKs!" Marcus exclaimed.

"You guys have to draw them in, we can see them but they cannot see you," Frank said. "Draw them in."

"They're like playing hide and seek."

"What do we do, Wolf?" Lucas shouted.

A grin lifted my lips. "NO MISTAKES!"

The crux of any war begins between the moment of time you bring your guard down and focuses on the fight ahead of you. That span of seconds that you thought of your family, your friends and the determination of serving your country.

We are the last castle.

We are the ones who protect the herd in the dead of the night.

We are Wolf.

A bomb exploded in the courtyard, and I knew that the first wave has begun. As Frank gave his orders, thus start the thrill and complications of war. As we returned fire, I came to realise just how persistent they were in flushing us out and I wondered if we were able to make contact with HQ so we could get out of here safely.

As quickly as it started, the first round ended.

"Man, we gave them a good whopping."

"They must've thought they're facing an abandoned compound."

"Not here, brother."

I turned to Quinn. "You good, kid?"

He nodded.

"Get some rest. We got a long night."

1:03am

From Tower 1, both Lucas now joined with Frank saw a bizarre phenomenon. They begin to question the reality of war in a country that has been going on for so long.

"Why are these shepherds moving around just after a gunfight?" Frank asked flatly.

"That's so bizarre."

In Block D, Wesley brought up a few folding chairs from the kitchen and brought some snacks and a few bottles of water. Keith jogged to the ladder and helped him carry the items up. They were facing West, to where the parking lot and the abandoned compound stood.

It was colloquially called Smuggler's Alley.

The 15 tangos that they had seen earlier had disappeared during the first wave and they wondered what the enemy was planning.

During the time it took for the second wave to start, each block began to build up its defence; stacking up sandbags against the walls to impede the deadly force of the bullets, installing metal sheets between the parapet walls and stocking up on food, drinks and chocolate bars.

The next wave began at 2.35am.

"Hey do you see that?" Wesley asked suddenly. "I see a lot of activity at the end of Smuggler's Alley."

"We've got a lot of movement, Boss."

"We got a bus load of tangos coming in from West!" Keith exclaimed.

"States, you got Tower 1," Frank ordered. "We got Block D. Let's go!"

We rose up from our rest and took our guns, jogging to the West side of the building to take position. Even from where we were, we could see the mass of people coming in from the West and we began preparation to start the second wave.

"Keep alert," Frank ordered. "Do not stray away from your assigned quadrant."

"Roger that."

"Oh no, wait wait wait!"

"What is this bozo doing?"

Up ahead, an unmarked silver sedan was driving across the gravel road towards us. It cut across the West land, in an attempt to begin their assault. The men in Block B and D were confused, wondered if they knew that they had night vision in our arsenal.

One of them came out holding onto an RPG, and was shot down by Tom but the grenade was launched as he dropped to the ground lifeless. Soon after that, the second wave begin and we returned fire.

"Stop shooting! Stop! March 17 said that you're firing at them!"

"Who cares!" Lucas yelled. "They're still shooting at us!"

I rolled my eyes at the statement. "March 17 my ass," I murmured as I took a shot of a man attempted to reload his RPG, shooting through the car's windshield and as he died, his finger pressed on the trigger and fired the RPG to his own people.

"They're flanking us at Zombie Land," the mercenaries exclaimed.

"Moving!" Marcus exclaimed.

With the West and the South occupied, it took all we had and more to stay afloat.

"Ben, second floor!" Keith exclaimed. "Second floor!"

With both of them shooting the occupants on the second floor on the Southwest side of the Annex, we continued our assault on the West side of the Annex. An explosion rocked the place and we knew that they had an RPG on the second floor of the building.

"Bus," Wesley pointed out. "Hit the bus!"

On the North West side of the Smuggler's Alley, about a few yards back, Wesley has noticed that the school bus is carrying a large ordinance in it and we focused our efforts on that bus. We knew that if we failed to do so, it would hit us next.

As the bus exploded with a shower of raging fire, hot piercing metal and insurgents fleeing with fear, we knew that was meant for us.

It was a daunting war and we needed to win.

We knew as we battled with the insurgents that the staff below were scrambling around trying their hardest to get their hands on any base, any friendlies that would help them to get out of the country safely. Now, all we need is a lot of firepower to instil the fear of God and our country into them.

"Marcus!" I yelled angrily. "Are you done?!"

"I'm already in contact with Scott," he exclaimed. "He's patching us through with the Air Force."

Static flooded the radio and then it disappeared, telling us that a call has patched through.

"This is Lieutenant Carol Smith, reporting for duty."

"Carol!" I cried with relief.

"Yo hotshot, feeling the heat yet?" she asked in a teasing tone.

"Shut up!"

"ETA?" Frank demanded.

"0500hrs.""

"Are you going to give them a low, fuck you flyby?" I asked her excitedly.

"Oh hell yes."

"Yeah!" I cheered and high-fived Quinn who looked relieved. "Where's our transport, Chief?"

"ETA 0600 hours."

"Well, that sucks."

"Oi don't let them get away!"

"Shoot! Shoot!"

With no insurgents left on the field, we took a break and rested. It was a long wait for our ride out of this country and the downtime would gnaw even at the sharpest minds.

If the insurgents regrouped and comes back with technicals, then we're as good as dead.

I sighed.

"Get some rest," I told Q, as I patted his shoulder. "This'll be a long wait."

Q nodded and left the block, climbing down via the ladder. I took a seat between the sand bags and rested my rifle next to me – letting out a groan.

I took a chocolate bar from the stack and began eating it, savouring the sweetness. It gave a spur of energy and I felt slightly better.

A few minutes after, footsteps were heard on the ladder and I looked up to see my ex appearing from below. Rolling my eyes at his appearance, I wondered why he came.

"If you're not here to apologise, I'd rather be alone," I said. "Cheaters aren't allowed on this block."

"I didn't do anything wrong."

His statement made my temper flared up in flames, and I glared at him, words of anger rolled up on my tongue. All of the words that I had wanted to tell him, to scream at him, to torment him suddenly rose inside me but I fought them down because this was not the place to do so.

"I fail to understand how you've become such a reprehensible, intolerable fuck pastry," I growled.

Tom looked at me with the expression I knew too well. I've been with him for so long that I know him inside and out but ever since he's done the unthinkable, I realised that I don't know him at all.

"You can't keep on being like that."

"Like what, asshole?"

"I thought we could still be friends."

I let out a bark of laughter. "Friends?" I asked incredulously. "I don't want to be friends with a troublesome goddamn kneecap who can't differentiate between love and lust. So fuck right off with that machete up your pasty ass."

Tom nodded at my insults, unable to utter a single retort and he decided to leave. That was when Quinn returned from below, climbing up the ladder. They almost collided as Tom was heading down the ladder and it was awkward as Quinn took a seat next to me.

He cleared his throat. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "One piece of advice I can give you is to never date a co-worker, much less your childhood friend," I said.

"Huh? What?"

"It had gotten goddamn complicated because we've known each other since we were children," I said with a sigh, massaging a headache that's threatening to come. "Lucas too. The three of us are childhood friends."

I hear a gasp from the rookie. "You mean you know Lucas since he's a kid?" Quinn asked in surprise. "How was he like?"

"Eh you know he's an abominable twat truck," I answered with a shrug. "He's a lot worse when he's a kid. We got into a lot of trouble. Street fights everywhere. We were uncontrollable."

Quinn chuckled.

The next three hours were spent in a standstill, the downtime and we were restless. As we took turns to watch the South and West side of the Annex, we were finally greeted with dawn. The sun ray was welcomed with squinty eyes and annoyed groans as we realised that we hadn't slept the entire night.

"I see some movements in Zombie Land," Lucas reported, his voice cutting across the radio frequency.

Hearing him speak jolted me awake from a nap I had taken at 4.30am and realised that I had slept sitting up. Groaning as I got up, grabbing my rifle and aiming it towards the South, I let out a gasp at the sheer number of insurgents coming in from the distance.

"Frank!" I yelled over the radio comm. "They're coming!"

"I see em," he replied. "Carol, your location?"

"ETA two minutes tops."

"Alright, we have to hold them back for two minutes," Frank said with determination. "We are going to win this war and we are going home! What do we do, Wolf?"

"NO MISTAKES!"

.

A/N: It's pretty long-winded and this is partly inspired by a movie titled 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.

Have a good read!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 30.9K 41
It's a Roscotto Tradition. The year of wives and slaughter. Every five years, any young adult male within the Roscotto family is given an entire ni...
847K 26K 43
Nearing the clock, I positioned myself laying on my front, both hands on the rifle, eye on the telescope attached to it, ready to shoot. Minutes has...
27.9K 723 48
First Private Amelia Greene knew she wanted to enlist the moment the law allowing women to fight passed. There was no place for her in the states any...
4.5K 138 14
She's the emotionless, scarred sniper. The only one in the base, the best with the dangerous weapon. He's a scarred, tatted lieutenant. The men f...