Niphredil Elentary (Legolas l...

By ElaheKarami

The fellowships have broken. Can Niphredil help Frodo as she promised him? Can Sauron find Niphredil or Legol... More

A/N
Chapter 2: Eomer
Chapter 3: The return of hope
Chapter 4: The reason why
Chapter 5: Theoden
Chapter 6: The king's decision
Chapter 7: Wargs
Chapter 8: Helm's Deep
Chapter 9: The battle of Hornburg
Chapter 10: Grief
Chapter 11: Hope because of Love
Chapter 12: Road to Isengard(1)
Chapter 13: Road to Isengard(2)
Chapter 14: Saruman
A/N

Chapter 1: The pursuit

3.5K 107 12
By ElaheKarami

They were running after the Orcs for three days now and had only a little rest. They were passing  Emyn Muil and it was a while they had lost the track of their enemy on the hard ground, until Aragorn told them to stop. He had laid on the ground with closed eyes, listening to something that only he could hear. After a few minutes, he opened his eyes. "Their pace has quickened." He said and stood again. "They must have caught our scent. Hurry!" he said and ran again. Niphredil heard a sound and turned and saw Gimli rolling down a hill. She couldn't hide her laughter.

"Come on, Gimli." Shouted Legolas and ran after Aragorn. Gimli stood and followed them. "Three days and nights pursuit. No food. No rest. And no sign of our quarry, but what bare rock can tell." He nagged while running. Niphredil's face fell. He was right. They had seen no sign of Merry and Pippin. They were with Orcs. They could even be.... Niphredil shook her head to remove bad thoughts from her mind. She ran faster. They should find the little hobbits.

They ran for a few hours again. The trail led them north along the top of the escarpment, and at length, they came to a deep cleft carved in the rock by a stream that splashed noisily down. In the narrow ravine, a rough path descended like a steep stair into the plain.

At the bottom, they came with a strange suddenness on the grass of Rohan. After running in barren plains for days, it was like heaven for Niphredil. she let the great smell of the grass fill her nose. Legolas took a deep breath, like one that drinks a great draught after long thirst in barren places.

"Ah! the green smell!" he said. "It is better than much sleep. Let us run!"

"Light feet may run swiftly here," said Aragorn. "More swiftly, maybe, than iron-shod Orcs. Now we have a chance to lessen their lead!"

They went in single file, running like hounds on a strong scent, and an eager light was in their eyes. Nearly due west the broad swath of the marching Orcs tramped its ugly slot; the sweet grass of Rohan had been bruised and blackened as they passed. Presently Aragorn gave a cry and turned aside.

"Stay!" he shouted. "Do not follow me yet!" He ran quickly to the right, away from the main trail. Niphredil's heart was hammering in her chest from anticipation.

a few minutes later, Aragorn ran back. "Yes," he said, "they are quite plain: a hobbit's footprints. Pippin's, I think. He is smaller than the others. And look at this!" He held up a thing that glittered in the sunlight. It looked like the new-opened leaf of a beech-tree, fair and strange in that treeless plain.

"The brooch of an elven-cloak!" cried the others together. Niphredil sighed in relief. At least one of them was still alive.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall," said Aragorn. "This did not drop by chance: it was cast away as a token to any that might follow. I think Pippin ran away from the trail for that purpose."

"Then he at least was alive," said Gimli. "And he had the use of his wits, and of his legs too. That is heartening. We do not pursue in vain."

"Let us hope that he did not pay too dearly for his boldness," said Legolas. "Come! Let us go on! The thought of those merry young folk driven like cattle, burns my heart."

"Less than a day ahead of us. Come." Said Aragorn and ran with a new hope, followed by the others. They had run some distances. Gimli was clearly tired. He was running at the end. "Come, Gimli! We're gaining on them!" said Legolas, trying to encourage him.

"I'm wasted on cross-country. We Dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances." Said Gimli who was panting hard. Niphredil slowed down and ran at his side. "come on, Gimli. you can. Just breathe." She said and patted his shoulder. At her touch, Gimli felt extra energy entered his veins and began to run faster.

They saw Aragorn halted. They were on top of a hill and could see a vast part of the lands in front of them.
"Rohan. Home of the Horse-lords." Said Aragorn and looked around. "There's something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures. Sets its will against us." he said quietly.

Legolas went a little further and then watched the lands carefully.

"Legolas! What do your Elf-eyes see?" shouted Aragorn.

"The Orcs turn northeast. They are taking the Hobbits to Isengard." Shouted Legolas. Niphredil felt her blood boiling from anger. "Saruman!" said Aragorn through gritted teeth.

"we guessed right. Saruman will pay for this." Said Niphredil angrily and went after Legolas. They began to run again. Niphredil could hear Gimli running behind her.

"Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe." Said Gimli to himself and Niphredil chuckled. "They've run as if the very whips of their masters were behind them." Said Legolas who was running at her side.

"Saruman must be afraid. He probably thinks that the Orcs had gotten the ring bearer and his friend. He wants his prize soon, before Sauron understand. He is a fool. Sauron does not share power." Said Niphredil.

They ran until the dusk. "We have come at last to a hard choice," said Aragorn. "Shall we rest by night, or shall we go on while our will and strength hold?"

"Unless our enemies rest also, they will leave us far behind, if we stay to sleep," said Legolas.

"Surely even Orcs must pause on the march?" said Gimli. He could sleep on feet from tiredness.

"Seldom will Orcs journey in the open under the sun, yet these have done so," said Legolas. "Certainly they will not rest by night."

"But if we walk by night, we cannot follow their trail," said Gimli.

"The trail is straight, and turns neither right nor left, as far as my eyes can see," said Legolas.

"I said that it was a hard choice," said Aragorn. "How shall we end this debate?"

"You are our guide," said Gimli, "and you are skilled in the chase. You shall choose."

"My heart bids me go on," said Legolas. "But we must hold together. I will follow your counsel."

"You give the choice to an ill chooser," said Aragorn. "Since we passed through the Argonath my choices have gone amiss." He fell silent, gazing north and west into the gathering night for a long while.

Niphredil was silent all the time. She looked at his agitated face. She put her hand on his shoulder. "we trust your counsel, Aragorn. Gandalf had not set you as our leader in vain." she said calmly. Aragorn looked at her eyes for a moment.

"We will not walk in the dark," he said at length. "The peril of missing the trail or signs of other coming and going seems to me the greater. If the Moon gave enough light, we would use it, but alas! he sets early and is yet young and pale."

"And tonight he is shrouded anyway," Gimli murmured. "Would that the Lady had given us a light, such a gift as she gave to Frodo!"

"It will be more needed where it is bestowed," said Aragorn. "With him lies the true Quest. Ours is but a small matter in the great deeds of this time. A vain pursuit from its beginning, maybe, which no choice of mine can mar or mend. Well, I have chosen. So let us use the time as best we may!" He then cast himself on the ground and fell at once into sleep, for he had not slept since their night under the shadow of Tol Brandir.

Gimli fell asleep soon too, but Niphredil couldn't. she saw Legolas walking away from the group. She stood and went after him. he sensed her and turned. Niphredil's heart broke at the sight of his sad eyes.

"I know in my heart that they will not rest this night. Only an eagle could overtake them now." He said sadly. Niphredil went to him. he held her in his arms, seeking peace. Niphredil kissed his lips. "Let's have hope." She whispered to him. Legolas kissed her again, this time deeper and longer. Her lips tasted fantastic. Her hair was like silk between his fingers. When they pulled away, he peered into her eyes.

"have you heard voices again?" asked Legolas. "No, Nothing." Answered Niphredil. "you look stronger from the day that Frodo left us." Said Legolas. Niphredil furrowed a bit. He was right. She was too busy and had not thought about it. The ring was not affecting her anymore. "yes. The ring's malice was the thing which made me weak." She said and suddenly her heart ached.

"what's wrong?" asked Legolas. "Poor Frodo and Sam. Maybe we should not leave them alone. Some of us should go with them." Said Niphredil.

Legolas kissed her forehead. "Do not blame yourself. We can't change our decision now, so Let's do our best to do the thing we chose to do." He said. Niphredil nodded and leaned her head on his shoulder.

It was strange for her how much she and Legolas had changed in a matter of three months. They had become so used to each other, affiliated to each other, seeking comfort in each other. she would die if anything could happen for Legolas. She had fallen for him so hard.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 3.8K 44
❝There's some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.❞ - Samwise Gamgee After Erebor was reclaimed Athena reu...
147K 4.1K 33
You are sucked into the Realm of Middle Earth accidentally, and are bound to the ring! If you don't find a way to unbind yourself from it, you will p...
77K 4.7K 43
Frodo was meant to be the Ring-bearer. But when he falls under Sauron's control and vanishes before Elrond's council, where does that leave the Fello...
563K 15.6K 63
I thought I could live the rest of my life alone and in the sadness and despair. I was truly broken. I lost someone who I cared too deeply for and th...