The Adventures of Nancy Drew...

By EmilineHoclair

Ok, this is pure fanfiction. If I tried to write an actual book with all these characters, I would get a copy... More

A Brief Synopsis of My Nancy Drew-In Poem Form
Episode 1-The Drew Family
Episode 2-The Counter Terrorist Unit
Episode 3-The Girl with the Long Scar
Episode 4-Mako Island
Episode 5-The Beginning of Jack's Troubles
Episode 6-The Mako Mermaids
Episode 7-The Disappearance of Jane Doe
Episode 8-What Really Happened at the Hospital
Episode 9-Deadly Friendships
Episode 10-The Fight
Episode 11-Making a Deal
Episode 12-A Revelation
Episode 13-The Bunker
Episode 14-A Little Chat with Jack
Episode 15-The Strangers with the Beautiful Eyes
Episode 17-Some Doors Should Never Be Opened
Episode 18-A New Plan
Episode 19-Hot Water
Episode 20-One Step Closer
Episode 21-The Devil Himself
Episode 22-Code Red
Episode 23-Together At Last
Episode 24-A Tragedy Disguised In Happiness

Episode 16-Devastating News

31 0 0
By EmilineHoclair

The following takes place between 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M.

Ring... Ring... Ring...

I'm sorry. The number you are trying to reach is not available. Please leave a message after the tone. Beep.

"Carson? Carson, this is Jack Bauer. I know we haven't spoken in a long time, but this is important. It's about you know who. He's done something to Los Angeles and... your daughter, Nancy. It won't take long for him to reach the rest of your family, so please get here as soon as possible. Your children need you."

Click. The call ended. 

After Jack and Tony's conversation in the Interrogation Sector, the first order of business had been to get ahold of Carson and tell him what was going on. It was the first thing Jack should have done when he found out the explosion victim was Nancy, and the guilt was killing him. A small problem arose when Jack realized Carson's phone number was long gone from his contacts, but Tony was able to recover it thanks to what the field agents called "tech nerd magic." Yet still another obstacle stood in their way when Carson didn't answer. By the end of the third voicemail, Jack knew it was time for Plan B. 

"You want to go to the police?" Tony asked disbelievingly. "I know I said I would trust you, but this concerns a terrorist. By law, all investigations of terrorist activity must stay within CTU jurisdiction and confidentiality. I don't know if I can go along with this, Jack."

"You didn't let me finish," Jack said. "We're not going to tell them anything. That would only endanger the public further in case Sal's father hacked into the police station just like he did with CTU. He would go ballistic if he knew we were trying to find him, so all I'm going to do is ask if they have records of Carson. I'll tell them he's my lawyer, that I'm looking for him because it appears he's skipped town. One flash of my badge and they'll be off like rocket ships."

"Yeah, unless this guy really did hack into the police station and can see every move the officers make," Tony argued. "How do you know he won't be as angry that you're looking for Carson as he would be if he knew you were looking for him?"

"I'm positive he thinks I know nothing," Jack stated, unlocking his car. As he climbed into the driver's seat, he said, "The only thing he probably knows I know is that Nancy was the little girl I rescued from the explosion, but because of the precautions we took earlier, I highly doubt he knows I know he kidnapped her and caused that explosion."

Tony slid into the passenger seat and buckled his seat belt. "What about my office? I have a computer in there. He was probably listening to us talk about him."

"Why do you think I moved the conversation to the Interrogation Sector?" Jack answered with a question, but Tony already knew. You could only hear what was going on in the Interrogation Sector if you were on the other side of the one-way window, and you couldn't get in there without a key card, so it would have been impossible for Jackson to listen in on Jack and Tony. 

"Smart move," Tony scoffed.

Jack broke into a grin. "Thanks." 

The engine roared to life. The race was on. Not literally, of course. The last thing Jack wanted was to be stalled by the very people he needed to speak with. His mission was too important for petty speeding tickets. 

Luckily, there wasn't that much traffic, so Jack and Tony arrived at the police station fairly quickly. Parking next to the curb, he wasn't surprised to see half of the squad cars gone. The LAPD had been just as swamped as CTU since the explosion.

Tony seemed to have the same thought because the lack of police didn't confuse him. However, he was concerned that whoever had stayed behind would be extra cautious with visitors, which would make it difficult to glean information from them. 

"I know that look, Tony," Jack said. "We'll find what we need. I have my ways."

"Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of," Tony sighed.

Jack's hand hovered above the handle for a moment before opening the door. He had wanted to defend himself but he didn't really have a leg to stand on. Dark, terrible things stained his past and Tony knew all about it. Nightmares came to Jack sometimes, but he didn't like to talk about them. His job had conditioned him to hide his emotions, both on site and off.

A man in his mid-twenties sat at the front desk. He was doing paperwork, but Jack didn't care. He didn't have time for this.

"Excuse me, Officer..." Jack glanced at the man's gold pin. "Hastings. Can you please tell me if you have any information on a man named Carson Drew?"

"Depends on who's asking," Officer Hastings mumbled, his eyes glued to his work. 

Jack smiled to himself and whipped out his badge.

"Jack Bauer's asking. I'm with CTU."

Officer Hastings peeked up, his cheeks flushed. 

"CTU? As in..."

"Counter Terrorist Unit, yes," Jack said matter-of-factly. "That  CTU." 

Officer Hastings' eyes flickered to Tony, who was standing by the door. 

"Who's that?" he asked suspiciously.

"Tony Almeida, Director of CTU," Tony replied before Jack did it for him. Nobody introduced the director but himself.

Sweat was beginning to form on Officer Hastings' forehead. "I'm sorry if I was rude. I just have a lot of work on my hands. I wouldn't have--"

"It's alright, Officer," Tony assured. "It's just that we have a lot of work, too, and we need help. That's why we're here."

Officer Hastings beamed at the thought of being useful to a couple of government agents. "Yes, of course. What can I do for you?"

"Carson Drew," Jack repeated. "You heard of him?"

"No, sorry," Officer Hastings said hastily. "I don't recognize that name, but I could look through our records, if you want."

"That would be great, thank you," Tony affirmed. 

Officer Hastings saluted the director and scurried away. Jack failed to contain his laughter.

"Come on, Jack. You didn't have to scare the kid like that," Tony chided.

"But it's my favorite part of the job," Jack chuckled. 

Tony shook his head. He knew what Jack just did was uncalled for, but what he did next was straight up illegal. Before Tony could stop him, Jack was making himself comfortable behind the front desk. 

"Jack! What are you doing?" Tony whispered hoarsely.

"What does it look like?" Jack sneered. "I'm looking for Carson."

Nervously, Tony glanced down the hall. "That's the point of police. Otherwise why would you order that officer to help us?"

"Seriously? Do you really think that wimpy intern is going to find anything useful?" Jack kept his eyes on the screen as he talked to Tony. "Of course not. That's why I sent him away. It was a diversion."  

There was no point in trying to stop him. Once Jack started something, no one could keep him from finishing it. Besides, it only took Jack a minute to find what he was looking for: the database of every registered lawyer in California. 

He closed his eyes. Inhaled. Opened his eyes. Exhaled. 

Moved the cursor to Carson's file. 

And clicked. 

Tony's heart hammered. Officer Hastings could be back any minute. If he caught Jack snooping through his computer, he would be sure to arrest him for violating the fourth amendment and Tony for allowing it to happen. Then they would really  be in trouble.

"Jack?" Tony said.

Jack didn't respond. He was frozen. If it weren't for the pulse jumping in his throat, Tony would have thought he was dead.

"What is it?" Tony asked.

A strangled noise escaped from Jack. His eyes welled up with tears.

"I- I can't--" 

Pushing himself away from the computer, Jack launched out of the chair and stormed out of the station. Tony wanted to go after him but decided he should know what Jack had learned first. Carefully, Tony crept around the desk and bent his face toward the screen. What he saw made his blood turn cold.

"Oh God."

Jack had found what he was looking for, but the answer was not one he had expected nor wanted. A picture of Carson Drew stared at Tony. Below it were columns of information, a single word hitting him in the chest like a bullet. 

DECEASED. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.3K 914 25
Hi! I took over this story from the user @traaassshhh because they will soon be deleting the original story. The story may change a bit because I onl...
214K 5.3K 55
A simple mute girl who lives in a world of silence and serenity with her grandmother. A ruthless cruel mafia who lives in the world of women,drugs an...
51.1K 1.2K 35
'I wouldn't mind being with you, you topless Jaffa Cake..' You {Y/N} are currently attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and you are...