It's Really You (Newt Scamand...

By MaximoffScamander

There was only one man in the whole world that truly understood you, and he broke your heart. Little did you... More

Chapter 1: Hogwarts Express
Chapter 2: Shorting Ceremony
Chapter 3: Charms and Potions
Chapter 4: Herbology and Transfiguration
Chapter 5: Astrology and History of Magic
Chapter 6: Deffence Against The Dark Arts and Herbology
Chapter 7: Charms and Potions Vol. 2
Chapter 8: Friendship
Chapter 9: Care of Magical Creatures
Chapter 10: Care of Magical Creatures Vol. 2
Chapter 11: Care of Magical Creatures Vol. 3
Chapter 12: Fear and Loneliness
Chapter 13: Accident
Chapter 14: Trying To Move On
Chapter 15: New York
Chapter 17: Mr. Kowalski
Chapter 18: Dinner
Chapter 19: Inside Newt's Case
Chapter 20: Inside Your Case
Chapter 21: The Niffler
Chapter 22: The Erumpent
Chapter 23: The Pentagram Office
Chapter 24: Interrogation
Chapter 25: Death Potion
Chapter 26: The Blind Pig
Chapter 27: The Demiguise and The Occamy
Chapter 28: Awkwardness, Talks and Songs
Chapter 29: Credence
Chapter 30: Grindelwald
Chapter 31: Goodbye, Jacob
Chapter 32: Rest

Chapter 16: MACUSA

3.3K 99 12
By MaximoffScamander

Newt's P.O.V.

Me and the unknown woman Apparated into a cramped, bricked-up alleyway. I could  still hear police sirens sounding from the bank. The woman, incredulous and out of breath, started rounding me.

"Who are you?" She asked me in a very high pitched voice.

"I'm sorry?"

I'm really confused right now. Why in the name of Merlin did she grab me and Apparate away? I don't want to be rude but it is none of her business.

"Who are you?" She asked again.

"Newt Scamander. And you are?"

I tried to find out who she was but it didn't work.

"What's that thing in your case?"

She pointed at my case. She was interrogating me.

"That's my Niffler." I said.

Then I finally looked at her face and saw that she had some mustard on her lip.

"Er, you've got something on your..." I said slightly pointing at her lip.

She quickly wiped it away.

"Why in the name of Deliverance Dane did you let that thing loose?"

"I didn't mean to, he's incorrigible, you see, anything shiny, he is all over the place..." It's tried to explain.

"You didn't mean to?"

"No."

"You could not have chosen a worse time to let that creature loose! We're in the middle of a situation here! I'm taking you in." She said shaking her head and raising her hands.

"You're taking me where?" I asked confusingly.

The woman then produced her official ID card. It bears her moving picture and an impressive symbol of an American eagle. I didn't have time to read her name though.

That made me nervous. I don't need any problems. Especially now, when I have a lot of creatures in my case.

"Magical Congress of the United States of America." She proudly said.

"So, you work for MACUSA? What are you, some kind of investigator?" I asked nervously.

"Uh huh." She said after hesitating.

Then she stuffed her identification card back into her coat. I was silent.

"Can you please tell me that you took care of the No-Maj?"

"The what?" I asked confused once again.

"The No-Maj! No-magic, the non-wizard!" She basically shouted becoming irritated.

"Oh sorry, we call them Muggles." I said after it hit me.

The woman stared getting really worried.

"You wiped his memory, right? The No-Maj with the case?"

"Um..."

But I didn't get time to do that. He knocked me down with his case.

"That's a Section 3A, Mr. Scamander. I'm taking you in." She said appalled.

Then she took me by the arm and we Disaparated again.

A few moments later we Apparated into another narrow alleyway. The woman grabbed me and headed out on the street. I immediately saw an ornately carved, incredibly tall skycraper on the corner of a bustling street. We hurried along Broadway towards this building, the woman almost dragging me by my coat sleeve.

"Come on." She said when I tried to stop walking.

"Er, sorry but I do have things to do, actually." I said trying to excuse myself.

"Well, you'll have to rearrange them!" She said annoyed.

The woman forcefully guided me through the busy traffic.

"What are you doing in New York anyway?"

"I came to by a birthday present."

"Couldn't you have done that in London?"

We have arrived outside the massive building. Workers moved in and out of a large revolving door.

"No, there's only one breeder of Appaloosa Puffskeins in the world and he lives in New York, so no..."

The woman moved me towards a side door, that was guarded by a man in a cloaked uniform.

"I got a Section 3A." She said to the guard and he immediately opened the door.

"Hey. By the way, we don't allow the breeding of magical creatures in New York. We closed that guy down a year ago."

She grabbed me by the arm again and guided me through the door. As soon as we walked in the building of MACUSA, we started moving up a wide staircase and entered the main lobby. I looked up and smiled with amazement. A vast, impressive space with impossibly high vaulted ceilings. I could even see the clouds.

High up above my head hung a gigantic clock-like dial with many cogs and faces emblazoned with the legend: 'Magical Exposure Threat Level'. The hand on the dial pointed to 'Severe: Unexplained Activity'. Behind it hung an imposing portrait of a majestic-looking witch, but I have never seen her before.

Owls circulated in the air, witches and wizards were working hard. The woman guided me through the bustle. Then passed a several wizards sitting in a line near a House-Elf who was sitting at a very curious-looking machine with a lot of feathers. I wanted to stop and observe it but the woman dragged me along with her by my coat sleeve.

We reached an elevator. The doors opened and revealed a House-Elf who was dressed like a bellboy.

"Hey, Goldstein." The House-Elf said.

So that is her last name.

"Hey, Red." She said and pushed me into the elevator.

Goldstein straightened herself.

"Major Investigation Department." She said confidently.

"I thought you was..." The elf stared but she interrupted him.

"Major Investigation Department! I got a Section 3A!"

Red used a long clawed stick to reach the buttons above his head. The doors closed and the elevator stared moving upwards. When we reached our destination, Goldstein stared guiding me through some corridors until we reached a room where some people were having some kind of meeting. When they heard our footsteps they all looked up at us. I slightly glanced at them and looked at the floor. One of the people there was the witch from the banner in the lobby.

"I made your position here quite clear, Miss Goldstein." The woman said.

She was angry but contained herself.

"Yes, Madam President, but I..." Goldstein said.

So this is the President of MACUSA.

"You are no longer an Auror." Madam President said.

"No, Madam President, but..."

"Goldstein."

"There's been a minor incident..."

"Well, this office is currently concerned with very major incidents. Get out." Madam President said and turned around.

"Yes, ma'am." Goldstein said clearly humiliated.

She pushed me back towards the elevator.

The elevator doors opened onto a cramped, airless, windowless basement room. A painful contrast to the floor above. Clearly the place where utter no-hopers work. Goldstein was no longer dragging me by my arm, which I was greatful for. She lead me past hundred of typewriters clacking away unmanned, with a tangle of glass pipes hanging down from the ceiling above them.

As each sheet was completed by a typewriter, it folded itself into an origami rat, which scurried up the appropriate tube to the offices above. I saw two rats collide and fight, tearing eachother apart.

Goldstein walked towards a dingy corner of the room with a sign: 'Wand Permit Office'. I had to duck under it to avoid hitting my head. The Wand Permit Office was slightly larger than a cupboard. I saw piles of unopened wand applications.

Goldstein stopped behind what must have been her desk and took off her coat and hat. I think she tried to regain her status in front of me by appearing official, busying herself with papers.

"So, you got your wand permit? All foreigners have to have them in New York." She asked me.

"I made a postal application weeks ago." I lied while setting my case on the floor beside my feet.

Goldstein sat down on her desk and scribbled on a clipboard.

"Scamander... And you were just in Equatorial Guinea?"

"I've just completed a year in the field. I'm writing a book about magical creatures."

"Like an extermination guide? One of our workers writes it."

"No. A guide to help people understand why we should be protecting these creatures instead of killing them."

"Goldstein! Where is she? Where is she? Goldstein!" I suddenly heard a man shout.

Goldstein quickly ducked behind her desk, which quite amused me. A pompous man entered the room. He immediately realised where she hid.

"Goldstein!" He said again.

She looked guilty and slowly emerged from behind her desk.

"Did you just butt in on the Investigative Team again?"

Goldstein opened her mouth but the man continued.

"Where've you been?" He asked.

"What...?" She awkwardly said.

Then the man turned to me.

"Where'd she pick you up?"

"Me?" I asked looking at the woman behind the desk.

She shaked her head so I stayed silent.

"Have you been tracking them Second Salemers again?"

"Of course not, sir?" She lied.

Another, taller than the first one man came around the corner.

"Afternoon, Mr. Graves, sir!" The first man greeted him.

"Afternoon, ah... Abernathy."

"Miss Y/l/n will arrive shortly." Abernathy said to Mr. Graves.

Graves just nodded.

Miss Y/l/n? As like Y/n Y/l/n? As like my best friend? As like the girl I am in love with? My heart stared beating very fast. I looked down trying to collect myself. It could be someone else? Right?

Suddenly, me being a Magizoologist, with the corner of my eye I saw a shadow of a woman. She was walking toward us. I couldn't hear her footsteps. There was only one person I know who can walk so quietly without even trying. I froze. Could it really be her? She stopped. Her back turned to us. She was observing the origami rats.

Suddenly Abernathy turned around and noticed her.

"Miss Y/l/n." He called her.

The woman did not turn to us. She slowly stared walking with her back turned to us. When she was too far from the rats she turned around and started walking in so familiar way. She didn't hold her head high but I still could see her face. Immediately I recognised her. I let out a shaky breathe I didn't know I was holding. It's really you!?

She was looking everywhere but not at us.

"Y...Y/n?" I whispered completely forgetting about all the people around me.

She froze when she heard me. That was the moment when I noticed the necklace on her neck. It was the necklace I made. She still has it! And she is wearing it! It made me so happy!

She slowly raised her eyes and immediately met mine. Shivers went down my spine when I looked into her mesmerising y/e/c eyes that I haven't seen for thirteen years.

"N...Newt?"

My name sounded differently when she said it.

Your P.O.V.

You were sitting in your office scribbling on the paper. You have almost finished the chapter when the origami rat ran on your desk from the glass tube. It unfolded immediately. It made you slightly upset that you have never catched these rats. Shrugging it off you picked up the piece of paper. It said:

Miss Y/l/n,

You are needed in the Wand Permit Office immediately.

Abernathy.

That was odd. What did they want from you in the Wand Permit Office? You had your wand permit.

You stood up and hid your case under your desk. Then you walked out and headed to the elevator. The doors opened and you walked in.

"Wand Permit Office, please."

Red pushed the button with his long stick and the elevator moved down. When it stopped and the doors opened you walked out.

"Thank you." You said while you did so.

You found yourself in a dark space without windows. The ceiling here was low. There were hundreds of desks with typing-machines. You saw a group of people and stared walking toward them with your soundless footsteps. You looked around with your head low and saw two origami rats playing together. It made you completely forget why you were here. For a moment you just stood there admiring the creatures.

"Miss Y/l/n." You heard a voice that belonged to Mr. Abernathy call you.

The rats you were watching disappeared in the glass pipes and you started walking towards a group of people. When you approached them there was silence so you stood there looking down at the floor. You noticed a pair of worn-out brown leather boots. They were similar to yours but yours were smaller, gray and the heels on your boots were higher. Obviously, a man was wearing them. From what you could see her was wearing dark brown trousers and a long blue coat. It was a curiously looking man from what you could see. You wanted to see more but you did not dare to raise your eyes.

"Y...Y/n?" You heard the man whisper.

You froze and tensed up. It can't be? Your heart started beating very fast.

Slowly you raised your eyes and met with the most beautiful ones you have ever seen. Those too familiar eyes.

"N...Newt?" You whispered.

You quickly looked down and smiled nervously.

"What...What are you doing here?" You asked.

Newt was about to answer but Tina interrupted him.

"Miss Y/l/n, this is Mr. Scamander, he has a crazy creature in that case and it got out and caused mayhem in a bank." Tina explained.

You looked at her only after she said 'crazy creature'. It hurt you. Creatures are not crazy.

"Let's see the little guy." Mr. Graves said.

Tina let out a sigh. She grabbed the case that stood on the floor beside Newt. He looks panicked. He tried to speak but Graves dismissed him. Tina almost theatrically placed the case onto a table. Then she stepped away. Newt is standing a few feet away from it. You stood in front of the case and slowly opened both of the catches on the it. You used your Magizoology knowledge and at first you open the case just a little to see if something is going to try to get out. What confused you was that when you opened the case a little bit, you sensed fresh pastries. Then you opened the case fully to reveal all kinds of sweet pastries.

Newt nervously approaches. You immediately understood what this ment. You looked at Newt, horrified. His face held the same expression.

"Tina." Graves said sighing.

Then he walked away. You and Newt stared at each other.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30K 663 34
Welcome dear reader, you have reached a terrible demise. JK, welcome to the party! At your new job you meet a group of guys that change your life for...
27.3K 808 18
You're hurt and blind, but you finally meet someone who loves you and your flaws. You meet Oswald. He makes you feel whole again.
434 12 7
Seeing the future has its costs, for you it takes a mental toll. Seeing the things and people you love suffer had never been something you could deal...
21K 474 27
Everyday was the same. Get up, eat, run the maze, come back, eat again, and then go to bed. Your daily schedule had no variation up until one day whe...