It's Really You (Newt Scamand...

By MaximoffScamander

There was only one man in the whole world that truly understood you, and he broke your heart. Little did you... More

Chapter 1: Hogwarts Express
Chapter 2: Shorting Ceremony
Chapter 3: Charms and Potions
Chapter 4: Herbology and Transfiguration
Chapter 5: Astrology and History of Magic
Chapter 6: Deffence Against The Dark Arts and Herbology
Chapter 7: Charms and Potions Vol. 2
Chapter 8: Friendship
Chapter 9: Care of Magical Creatures
Chapter 10: Care of Magical Creatures Vol. 2
Chapter 11: Care of Magical Creatures Vol. 3
Chapter 12: Fear and Loneliness
Chapter 13: Accident
Chapter 14: Trying To Move On
Chapter 16: MACUSA
Chapter 17: Mr. Kowalski
Chapter 18: Dinner
Chapter 19: Inside Newt's Case
Chapter 20: Inside Your Case
Chapter 21: The Niffler
Chapter 22: The Erumpent
Chapter 23: The Pentagram Office
Chapter 24: Interrogation
Chapter 25: Death Potion
Chapter 26: The Blind Pig
Chapter 27: The Demiguise and The Occamy
Chapter 28: Awkwardness, Talks and Songs
Chapter 29: Credence
Chapter 30: Grindelwald
Chapter 31: Goodbye, Jacob
Chapter 32: Rest

Chapter 15: New York

3.5K 91 29
By MaximoffScamander

1926

Your P.O.V.

Today was the day just like any other. You have fed your creatures and had breakfast. Now, you were walking from your apartment to MACUSA. You liked to take walks. It was healthy and you did get to see many different things on the streets of New York. You really liked to observe people. They were odd.

Today you planned to work on a next chapter of your book. A chapter about Occamies.

You walked past the City Bank. On the steps of it stood no other than Mary Lou Barebone. She was having another meeting. There were a lot of people standing there. For a brief moment you thought that you spotted a familiar witch from work. Probably not. You shrug it off and continued to walk along the chilling streets of New York. It was December. You were dressed in a white button-up shirt, beautiful dark purple kneeted cardigan, dark gray trousers, grey leather boots and your black coat. Your beloved briefcase in your left hand as well as your mother's engagement ring. And you did not forget to put on the necklace with the hippogriff feather.

When you walked into a tall buildings of MACUSA you walked up some stairs and headed to the elevator. On your way you passed by a Wand-Polishing-Machine.

"Miss Y/l/n." A House-Elf greeted you.

"Hello, Red." You said and stepped into the elevator.

The elf knew where you were headed and without questions he used his long stick to push the buttons. The doors closed and the elevator stared moving up. Eventually it came to a stop. The doors opened.

"Thank you." You said to the elf and walked out.

After taking a few turns in the corridors and successfully avoiding everyone you made it to your office. On the wall near the door of every office there was a little shelf wher paperboy was leaving fresh newspapers. You usually didn't read them but it wouldn't be polite not to take it. There was an article on the front paige that said 'Where is Grindelwald?'. You set your case beside your chair and took off your long coat and hanged it on a rack.

You sat down, turned your briefcase to the 'Muggle Worthy' mode and took out your notebook. You laid a few pieces of paper in front of you and prepared your quill and ink. When you quickly read the information about Occamies from your notebook and checked what classification MACUSA gave those creatures, you stared scribing down your next chapter. When you will be satisfied with the result, you will properly type it down on your typing-machine.

Newt's P.O.V.

Today was sixth of December. Right now, I'm on a muggle boat. It just entered New York. A few minutes ago it sailed past the Statue of Liberty. It was big, very big. I wonder how did they build that without magic.

I was sitting on a bench on the deck. My case was next to me. It was a bright, clear day. Seagulls swooped over my head. They were one of the kinds of birds that I knew from the muggle world. Some passengers were leaning over the railing, looking very excited. I mean, who wouldn't. It is New York after all. And it was a long ride.

I have never been here before. New York will be my brief stop before I go to Arizona. I have to bring Frank home.

Suddenly a catch on my case flicked open. I bent down and closed it. I know exactly why it opened. I picked up my case, placed it on my lap and smiled, then I leaned in so nobody would notice.

"Dougal, settle down now, please. It won't be long." I whispered to my Demiguise.

Then I placed my hands on top of my case and rested my head on top of my hands. I looked up and sighed, watching New York with its tall skyscrapers. My thoughts trailed again to a particular person. I wonder what is she doing right now? Where is she? Is she happy?

A few minutes later the ship reached the docks. I walked among bustling crowds down the gangplank of the ship toward Customs. I patiently stood in a line and looked around.

"Next." I heard a Custom Officer say.

It was my turn. I walked toward the desk where stood a very serious-looking American officer. I gave him my kind of tattered passport.

"British, huh?" He asked after examinating my passport.

"Yes." I answered shortly.

"First trip to New York?"

"Yes."

"Anything edible in there?" Officer asked gesturing to my case.

"No." I said shaking my head.

I also placed my hand over the breast pocket of my blue coat in case Pickett will peak out.

"Livestock?"

Suddenly and very loudly the catch on my case flicked open again and I quickly and hastily leaned down to close it.

"Must get that fixed...Ah, no."

Yeah, Newt. You are very good at looking suspicious.

"Let me take a look." The officer said.

I looked at him and then placed my case on the desk and discreetly flicked a brass dial to 'Muggle Worthy'.

The Custom Officer spinned the case toward him and popped the catches open, lifting the lid to reveal my pyjamas, maps, my journal, my alarm clock, my magnifying glass and my old Hufflepuff scarf. I patiently stood there waiting for the officer to finish. When he was finally satisfied, he closed the case.

"Welcome to New York." He said.

"Thank you." I said while gathering my passport and case.

The Custom Officer called next person as I exited through Customs.

I was walking through the streets of a foreign city. My case was in my left hand and directions on a small piece of paper in my right hand. I looked around in amazement and curiosity about this totally alien environment to me.

After walking for a while I stared hearing shouting. Then I saw a big group of people gathered around a woman. It looked like some kind of rally. Intrigued, I approached them. Behind the woman stood a man holding a big banner emblazoned with what must have been the organization's symbol: hands proudly grasping a broken wand amid bright yellow and red flames.

"This great city sparkles with the jewels of man's invention! Movie theatres, automobiles, the wireless, electric lights, all dazzle and bewitch us!" The woman shouted.

I slowed down and for a moment I saw something that made me freeze. I saw a woman with y/h/c and too familiar walking style quickly pass by. Could it be? I did not see her face though. My heart stared beating thousand miles per hour. From what I could see she had a long black coat and a gray leather case in her hand. No, it could be anyone. It's a huge city. It made me a bit sad.

I shrugged it off and stared making my way to the front of the rally. By accident, I bumped into a woman who was eating something I had never seen before.

"So sorry." I quickly said and continued my way.

"But where there is light there is shadow, friend. Something is stalking our city, wreaking destruction and then disappearing without a trace!"

I set my case down and listened to the woman in the front.

"Excuse me doll, just trying to get to the bank. Excuse me, just trying..." A man behind me was saying but suddenly he stopped.

I quickly looked down and saw that he tripped over my case. I helped him up.

"I'm so sorry. My case." I apologised.

"No harm done." He said."Excuse me!"

Then he rushed past the woman in purple and up the steps of the bank.

"You, friend! What drew you to out meeting today?" She asked me.

Great, now all eyes were on me which made me really uncomfortable.

"Oh... I was just... I was just passing." I said smiling a little bit.

"Are you a seeker? A seeker after truth?"

"I'm more of a chaser, really."

"Hear my words and heed my warning, and laugh if you dare. Witches live among us! We have to fight together for the sake of our children, for the sake of tomorrow! What do you say to that, friend?" The woman asked me.

As I looked up at her, I saw something with the corner of my eye that catched my attention. A Niffler was sitting on the steps of a bank, hastily pulling the beggar's hat full of shiny coins out of sight behind a pillar.

I quickly looked down at my case and realised that it was my Niffler.

It was busy shovelling the beggar's coins into its pouch. Then it looked up and noticed my gaze, and hurriedly gathered the rest of the coins before tumbling away into the bank.

"Excuse me." I said.

I immediately jolted forward. The woman looked at me with a confused expression but then continued her rally.

I ran up the stairs and entered a large, impressive-looking bank atrium. I turned around looking in every direction.

"Can I help you, sir?" A bank employee asked looking at me suspiciously.

"No, I was just... I was just waiting." I say motioning toward a bench.

I try really hard not to look suspicious. I take a seat on the bench next to the man who tripped over my case earlier still looking everywhere for my Niffler.

"Hi. What brings you here?" He asked nervously.

I was too busy to listen to him and think about what to say.

"Same as you..."

"You are here to get a loan to open up a bakery?"

"Yes."

"What are the odds of that? Well, may the best man win, I guess."

Finally I spotted the Niffler stealing coins from someone's bag. I quickly stood up walked away from the bench hunting the Niffler.

"Hey, mister... hey mister! Hey, fella!" The man shouted but I didn't hear him.

I have lost my Niffler for a moment. Then I spotted it removing a glittering buckle from a lady's shoe before scurrying onwards, eager for more shiny objects. I watched the Niffler as it lithely jumped between cases and into bags. I end up waiting in the line for a bank teller. I crane my neck, peering towards the bag of a lady at the front of the line. Thank Merlin that I was pretty tall.

Suddenly I heard the coins spilling on the floor. I turned around and saw small paws hastily gathering them under a bench. I quickly moved forwards and dived under the bench. The Niffler ran, scuttling over the bank counter screens and out of my reach. How am I supposed to get it from there?

I see the Niffler sitting on a trolley covered in money bags, which it greedily emptied into its pouch. I watch my Niffler through the security bars, as the trolley is being pushed down the corridor. Then it was pushed into the elevator. I sighed trying to think of a plan.

"Hey, Mr. English guy! I think your egg is hatching!" I heard the man from before shout.

I quickly looked between the closing elevator and the man with the Occamy egg. Quickly, I pulled out my wand out of my sleeve and pointed it at the man. He slided through the bank toward me. In a split second, we Disapparated.

We Apparated into a narrow stairwell that was leading to the bank's vaults. I took my wand in my mouth and took the Occamy egg from the man. It hatched revealing a small purple-blue, snake-like bird. My face was full of wonder and happiness as I looked at the man. However, his face was full of pure shock. He was a muggle. Then I'll have to Obliviate him afterwards.

I motioned for the man to follow me as I carried the the little creature down the stairs.

"But excuse me... I was there... I was over there?" He said still shocked.

I crouched down and opened my case. I carefully placed the hatched Occamy inside.

"In you hop." I said.

"Hello?" I heard the man say.

"No. Everyone settle down. Stay. Dougal, don't make me come in there."

Pickett slowly poked his head out of my breast pocket.

"Don't make me come down there."

Then I looked up and saw the Niffler squeezing itself through locked door, into the vault.

"Absolutely not!"

I stood up and pointed my wand at the vault.

"Alohomora." I said casting the spell.

The locks on the door start to turn.

"Oh, so you're gonna steal the money, huh?" Said the bank worker with his strong American accent.

He pushed the button on the wall. An alarm stared ringing.

"Petrificus Totalus." I said and the man fell flat on the ground.

"Mr. Bingley!"

"Kowalski!" Paralysed man said.

The vault door opened wide. I hurriedly stepped in. Inside I found the Niffler lying among hundreds of opened deposit boxes, and seated on a great pile of cash. The Niffler stared at me defiantly as it forced another gold bar into its already overflowing pouch.

"Really?" I asked with raised eyebrow.

Then I tightly grasped the Niffler and turned it upside down, shaking it by its hind legs. A seemingly endless amount of precious items fell out.

"No...Don't give me that..."

Even though the Niffler was such a troublemaker, I'm fond of it. I grinned as I tickled its stomach, causing more treasures to pour out.

Suddenly I heard some loud footsteps.

"Oh no... No... Don't shoot. Don't shoot!"

I quickly grabbed the Niffler, my case, the man and Disaparated.

We Apparated into a side street. Security alarms ringed from the bank and, at the end of the side street I saw a crowd gathering. Police arrived.

The man screemed slightly when he saw my Niffler. I crouched down and opened my case with one hand. In another hand I was holding the creature.

"For the last time, you pilfering pest, paws off what doesn't belong to you!" I kind of angrily said to the Niffler.

I quickly shut my case.

"I'm awfully sorry about all that..." I said as I stood up.

"What the hell was that?"

"Nothing that need to concern you. Now, unfortunately you have seen far to much, so if you wouldn't mind, if you just stand there, this will be over in a jiffy."

While I was trying to find my wand I turned my back on the man. The next thing I know, I'm lying on the ground.

"Sorry." I heard the man say while he ran away.

I stood up and held my head for a moment. Well, at least I didn't get knocked out.

"Bugger!" I whispered.

Suddenly I saw a woman who I bumped into earlier walking toward me. I quickly hid behind a pillar, gathered myself, grabbed my case and walked toward her. As I was passing her we made eye contact and then she grabbed me by my elbow and we Disaparated.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Human By Azure

Fanfiction

552 3 16
"One mistake. I made one mistake that landed me here. With you."
2.5K 24 17
it's either you hate him and he likes you, or you love him and he hates you, either way, the feeling would always be on sided throughout the multiver...
5.8K 206 14
Newt Scamander becomes infatuated with a woman he knows little about but what happens when they finally cross paths...
556 31 30
You finally met the one when you think you are hopeless and broken. Had you're fairytale dream in sight. All of a sudden, damn fate play a stupid gam...