Well...Alright | Buddy Holly

By RadicalCopper

SEQUEL TO 'It's So Easy'. Violet Holly had a lot on her plate. She had recently found out there was books wri... More

Interview (V.H)
Birth (V.H)
Buddy (B.H)
Notes (V.H)
Juliet (J.S)
Vincent (V.W)
Monopoly (V.H)
Nice (J.S)
Bipolar (B.H)
Poland (V.H)
September 7th (L.H)
A/N
Julia (V.H)
Marvin (V.H)
Dear Vi, Love Buddy (3)
Dear Buddy, Love Vi (3)
Records (B.H)
Thanksgiving (V.H)
Jack (B.H)
November 27th (W.K)
November 27th (2) (V.H)
Talk (V.W)
Mini journal (V.H)
Christmas (V.H)
New Years (V.H)
Peggy (V.H)
Changes (V.H)
A/N:
Echo (B.H)
Leaving (V.H)
Truth (V.H)
Dream (V.H)
Easter (V.H)
Random (4) (Various)
Don (V.H)
Desi (V.W)
Relationship (L.H)
Broken (B.H)
Crash (V.H)
September 7th (2) (E.H)
Pregnant (V.H)
Surprise (V.H)
Announcement (V.H)
California (V.W)
Preperation (B.H)
James (B.H)
Sports (V.H)

Tour (B.H)

147 7 1
By RadicalCopper

September 5th, 1959, 5:03 PM

"Great t'see you too, Paul!" I grin, patting Paul Anka's shoulder. "Been a while, ain't it?"

Paul smiles. "Too long, Buddy, too long,"

"You know who all else is gonna be here?" I ask. "I don't remember. I didn't seen any flyers, either,"

"You, me, Don and Phil, uh I think Bobby Darin will be around for a couple of 'em, Violet,"

I laugh. "Vi always comes,"

"Her name was on the poster this time,"

"It was?!" I ask

"Uh, yeah. It said Buddy and Violet Holly,"

I grin. "No kiddin', that's amazin'," I'm sorta surprised. She's never really been advertised straight on like that for a tour. Only in gossip magazines and fashion articles. I guess she's really making herself known. Or. Well. I guess I'm sorta making her known. Whatever. I wouldn't be here without her anyways.

"I think Ricky Nelson might be at a stop actually. I don't really remember, I've been all too busy,"

"Nah man, it's okay. I can always look for myself. Who'd you bring to accompany your background?"

"On bass I managed to snatch Leroy Branson, on lead guitar I got a fella named Tim Jameston, and rythm I got another great fella, Darnell Douglass. Other stuff I don't really know, my agency booked them. I was sorta gonna ask Vi if she minded playing drums for me, actually. It's really simple stuff, she would have any issues at all,"

"Oh, neat. I just got the same lineup from the Winter Dance Party. Vi, me, Waylon Jennings and Tommy Allsup,"

"You guys are killer,"

"I like to thank Waylon and Vi for that. They really do seem to follow ne real well on stage, it's great t'not worry 'bout that,"

"They're pretty damn good at their jobs," Paul laughs.

"You know it-"

"Buddy! Hey man! I haven't seen you in ages!" Don Everly clasps my shoulder from behind. "I've been looking forward to this,"

"Hey man!" I grin. "Heard you got married!"

"Uh huh, to my love! Kerri Everly, love that woman,"

I laugh. "Ain't that the girl you asked me 'bout a couple years back in Sacramento?"

He nods. "Yep, she's a kindergarten teacher back in Nashville. Great for me, kindergartners don't really know much about music, so they don't know who I am,"

"Well that's nice,"

After an hour or so of talking, Don checks his watch.

"Hey, I'm was gonna go get drunk with Phil and a couple others, d'yall wanna come?" Don asks Paul and I.

"No, thanks though," I reply. "I don't drink,"

"Why's that?"

"Did enough of that when I was a teenager and my stomach ulcers would kill me,"

"Fair enough. Paul?"

Paul shrugs. "Sure, why not?"

"Hey, be safe, okay? I can't carry a tour alone. Call Vi and I at the hotel if y'all need a ride,"

"What's the hotel number?"

I reach into my pocket and grab the piece of paper with the hotel address, phone number, and our room number on it. "We're in room 302, promise you'll call incase you need a ride,"

"I will, I will, I promise,"

"Sorry I'm bein' so insist. I gotta weird feelin' I can't shake,"

"I understand, I'll call if I need you,"

"Have fun," I smile as they all head out.

I head back to the hotel and make it into the room. Vi's asleep on the bed, still fully clothed with her book in her hand.

I chuckle quietly and sit down next to her, placing my hand on her leg. "Doll, hey,"

She stirs and slowly opens her eyes. "Hi,"

"C'mon baby, let's get t'bed,"

"How was the meeting with the tour guy?"

"Great, after he left I sorta hung around the studio and looked around. Paul Anka showed up and we chatted for a bit, then Don Everly came in. Eventually Don and Paul Left to get drunk before they gotta be straight for the next couple weeks,"

"Did you tell them to call if they need?"

I nod. "Made 'em promise,"

"Good, good," she slowly sits up. "Jeez, what time is it?"

"Uh, 8 or so?"

"Okay," Vi yawns. "I'm gonna shower before bed, actually,"

"Okay," I respond. "I gotta work on the licks in that new song,"

"Dreaming of Morning?" She asks as she stands up and stretches.

"Yeah, that one part in the middle trips me up a little sometimes. Gotta make it as solid as possible,"

"Fair enough,"

September 5th, 1952. 12:43 PM. Lubbock High School

"Jeez, this class is way too easy, it's making me suspicious," Vi says, reading her history text book. "We're not even a week in and I swear this won't get harder,"

"Really?"

She nods. "I feel like they're luring me into a false sense of security only to drop an impossible test in my lap,"

"How hard was school in Chicago?!" I exclaim. "This is pretty damn hard,"

"I don't know, it was ridiculous. I used to have atleast two hours of homework a night,"

"That's insane!"

"I went to a psuedo private school. They acted private but were public, it was bizarre. We had a uniform and everything,"

"A uniform?!"

"Yeah the classic pleated plaid skirts and white button up and weird blazer with the Bowan High emblem embroidered. Oh! And white socks and black Mary Jane style shoes,"

"I can't imagine,"

"It was horrendous,"

"I bet," I reply. Need to figure out how to just ask her over for my dumb birthday party. That's what Larry said to do. Just invite her for that.

Should I just drop dead ask?

Should I mention it and then offer?

I should just ask.

I'm just gonna do it.

"Hey, Violet, I gotta question,"

She looks up at me, flicking her pony tail off her shoulder. "Yeah?"

"So, uh, you know monday is my birthday,"

She nods.

"I was gonna have a party that day and was wonderin' if you wanted t'come?

She grins. "Of course! I'd love to, really,"

I feel a wave of relief wash over me. Thank God she said yes.

"It's just at my place,"

"That's fine, I sorta wanna meet your parents and such,"

"Great, so, did you just wanna come home with me after school?"

"Yeah, that works. I'll tell my parents tonight. I would say I'd ask, but they're desperate for me to have friends, there's no way they'd say no,"

"Neat! I'm excited, it's gonna be fun,"

"Well, is there anything in particular you want for your birthday?"

I shake my head. "No, you ain't gotta get me anythin',"

"Oh hush, I'm getting you something. Is there anything you need or want?"

"Um, not really,"

"How do you feel about candy?"

"Its good,"

"Good to know, now I only have to think of something to get you,"

I laugh. "Whatever is fine, Vi. I really don't care,"

"Dont be ridiculous, you're my best friend-" she turns bright red "I-I mean,"

"You're probably my best friend too, Vi,"

She visibly is relieved. "Oh, good. Sorry, we've known eachother for less than a week and already,"

"Hey, if it was meant to be then it was meant to be,"

She smiles her man-killing smile. "You're right,"

Maybe I should make a move on my birthday. Maybe I should try to kiss her.

But what if she rejects it?

I can't. I cant risk it yet. I can't do anything until I'm sure.

September 7th, 1952. 8:43pm. Outside the Holley Household

I stand outside and wait with Vi for her cab to come. We offered her a ride but she insisted her parents would have a cow if she didn't take a cab.

"I had a lot of fun, Buddy. I really did. Thank you so much for inviting me, your family is so sweet,"

"Of course doll- I mean Vi. I'm glad you could make it,"

I have never ever wanted to kiss someone so badly in my whole life. Hell, I even just wanna hold her hand. She's so pretty and so funny and we just get on so damn well.

I'm just gonna do it. I'm just gonna casually sling my arm around her.

One

Two

Three

I take a deep breath.

I wrap my arm around her shoulders.

We stand there like that and chat for a while.

Her cab rolls up and she turns and hugs me tightly.

"Dol- I mean Vi, call me when you get home so I know you made it okay," I say, rubbing her back.

She nods. "Okay, I will," she quickly kisses my cheek and gets in the car and they drive away.

I rub my neck and walk back inside. I think I'm in love.

September 8th, 1959, 1:23am, The Eagle Hotel, Montgomery Alamaba

We finally get into our hotel room. Not the best way to spend my birthday, driving on a bus. We performed a show here in Montgomery and now we're in a nice hotel.

I think the Everly's are across the hall, Paul is to the left and the other performers are somewhere near. They all sent us to separate rooms because this hotel only had king sized beds. I think the Everly's got a cot inside. Maybe they're sharing a bed, I dunno. I don't care, honestly.

"Buddy, you know what?" Vi smiles

"What?" I reply, raising an eyebrow.

"It might not technically be your birthday right now, but it sure as hell is close enough," she giggles. "It's only 1:30,"

I walk up to her and wrap my arms around her waist. "Whatcha sayin', baby?"

She pulls me down and kisses me.

Later

"Happy late-ish birthday," Vi says softly.

I pull her in closer to me. "Best thing I coulda asked for,"

"It's mandatory on birthdays,"

"Don't mean it wasn't amazin',"

"I love you so much," she says, looking up at me in bed. "I love you,"

"I love you too,"

A/N: sorry for such a shit chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

553 22 11
What happened in 1964? Well a lot actually. JFK was assassinated, Vietnam war was hitting it's peek, the Boston strangler killed his nineteenth victi...
82.1K 4.1K 26
"You know for someone with your name, you're reputation with love is something else," "That's because none of them were you, now come back and let m...
45 1 8
Katrina Mars has always had a special connection with her older sister, Keeley, who graduated the year Katrina was in eighth grade. That connection w...