Carlton ✔

By TheEuphoricWriter

[COMPLETED] [Selected for @ProjectBadboys official reading list: Knights] Carlton Hargrave is arrogant and ut... More

✦| Introduction
✦| Prologue
1| The Bancroft Family
2| The Masquerade Mishap
3| The Runaway Blonde
4| The Whimsical Escape
5| The Northwing Gunshots
6| The Unwinding Pursuit
7| The Homicidal Duo
8| The Dating Deal
9| The Dynamite Girl
10| The Unforeseen Encounter
11| The Safehouse Ambush
12| The Redhead's Condo
13| The Unravelling Past
14| The Puzzling Letter
15| The Anticipated End
16| The Unceremonious Plan
17| The Price Villa
18| The Red Flower
BOOK TRAILER
19| The Killer Instinct
20| The Erroneous Murder
21| The Truthful Lies
22| The Shady Conundrums
23| The Implausible Secret
24| The Broken Wings
25| The Hot Pursuit
26| The Mysterious Stalker
27| The First Step
28| The Ice Princess
29| The Ballroom Death
31| The Unfolding Fates
32| The Unsettling Claim
33| The Dreaded Conference
34| The Ulterior Motive
35| The Startling Destiny
36| The Bloodshot Schemes
37| The Raving Monster
38| The Unplanned Escape
39| The Crumbling Faith
40| The Assassination Attempt
41| The Unfortunate Events
42| The Unhinged Heartbeats
43| The Uncertain Decision
44| The Awful Mistake
45| The Welcomed Burden
46| The Scathed Wits
47| The Last Fight
48| The Avid Breakout
49| The Bewildering Embrace
50| The New Hargrave
✦| Epilogue

30| The Backalley Shootings

244 20 53
By TheEuphoricWriter

Guys, I have worked very hard on this chapter. It is short and as promised, action-filled!

Warning: This chapter (of course) portrays graphic violence that might be unsuitable for some readers. If you're a sensitive person, please consult me before reading.

Thank you! Enjoy the chapter :)

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dedicated to:@dalinamootin

Thank you for making it so far into the story! I hope that you are enjoying it :D

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

~ William Shakespeare

Carlton's POV

A deep roar of the engine resounded in my ears as the enemy's car pulled up into the alleyway. We remained hidden but they must've sensed this, so they ceased a few metres away.

The silence of the night was deadly, the winds carried an aura of fear, and sometimes excitement, and then back to fear.

Faint ruffling was heard in a distance. I positioned myself more tactically. My muscles tightened, fingers curving around my rifle.

I was positioned a little furthur away, where I was safer than my guards.

I could only hear my breathing now, muffled by the bandana I wore on my mouth. It was the only way I could hide my identity, except exchanging blazers with my bodyguard for furthur security.

Cutting through the air, a shrill, zipping sound of a bullet was suddenly heard.

One of my guards, who was hiding behind the garbage bin, screamed in agony. A few seconds later, his lifeless body fell on the ground.

Slack-jawed, I followed the direction of the bullet. It came from the second floor of the building beside us.

My other guards began to panick, trying to escape whoever was firing from an unknown location.

Under the faint moon light, I squinted, and then I spotted the sniper. Aiming my rifle into the sky, I fired at the man who had sniped my comrade. He fell out of the window, colliding on the ground.

The shower of bullets triggered the enemies and they jumped out of their positions, running towards us with madness in their eyes.

I gasped.

The atmosphere's silence was immediately taken over by the sounds of bullets, zipping, hitting cars, hitting walls, hitting people.

I ran forward, rifle in hand. I needed to help them.

Someone began shooting in my direction. It was too dark to see so I glided across the ground and took cover behind our SUV.

The thump-thump-thump of bullets hitting the car's metallic surface reminded me of the traquil rain drops on car shields, on a cold monsoon morning. But this time, every drop threatened to take my life.

Meanwhile, the gunshots in the background just wouldn't stop.

There were footsteps approaching the car where I was hidden. Immediately, I realised the long-range rifle was of no use. I threw it away.

A man approached me from behind the car. An enemy. I jumped on him. He did not see that coming. Twisting his armed hand away from me, I turned it behind his back, breaking a few bones in the process.

Someone else was approaching me too.

Horrified, I threw the guy on the ground and reached for my pistol strapped on my belt. The moment the other man approached me, I shot him point blank in the face. It stained my sleeve with patches of blood that spilled everywhere.

The guy on the floor leaped at me but I was quick to shoot him too. He fell at my feet, in a bloody heap.

"They're getting away!" The guard in my blazer, bellowed. Hopping over the fallen men, he darted after the enemies who were running away.

And then I saw him.

I saw Scar.

Scar got up, after stabbing one of my guards to death, and he didn't even look at me. He looked straight at the guard in my blazer and took off after him.

I couldn't believe the blazer-exchanging tactic worked!

Yelling, "Cover me!" at the guard who was left behind, I ran behind Scar, deeper into a maze between the buildings.

The alleyways were dark. All I did was follow the noises of agonizing cries and pistols, strengthening the hold on my weapon.

I dashed out into a location, where a single flickering headlight stood, and took in the scene in front of me.

One of Scar's men had caught the guard in my blazer and Scar neared him. Clutching my guard's face mask, he snatched it off, flinging it into the air.

My heart came upto my throat, hammering against my chest as I stood my ground.

Scar's eyes narrowed at the guard, perceiving that it wasn't Carlton Hargrave and he readied himself to shoot him.

Before he could shoot my guard, I sprinted towards him. Scar's head snapped in my direction and before he made a move, I punched him square across the face.

Scar got up, wiping the blood that dripped from his mouth. His vengeful eyes locked on my face, probably figuring out ways he wanted to kill me. He leaped at me.

Before I knew it, I was fighting him, pummeling his face, kicking his pistol out of his hand.

I dodged some of his punches but the third time, he was successful. His punch knocked my consciousness away. Grunting, I shook my head to bring it back.

Scar was going for his fallen pistol. Before he could pick it up, I jumped on him from the back. I flung him over my back, throwing him on the ground with a thud.

Hissing, I realised I had twisted my arm in the process and now it was hurting excruciatingly; the pain in my jaw made it worse.

Scar was quick to get up and run for me. His arms wrapped around my waist. I was endeavoring to push him off while he kneed me really hard in my stomach.

For a few moments, I became light-headed. I tasted blood in my mouth — metallic, warm and quite nauseating.

Squeezing my eyes tightly, I groaned and clawed his arms off with all the power left in me. I didn't waste a single second and wrapped my arms around Scar's neck from the back.

I applied all my weight on him, grasping my arms tightly around his throat, choking him. His nails were digging painfully into my flesh. Deep coughs resounded from the back of his throat as he gagged.

I did not let go. I did not pity him.

Suddenly, he started to walk backwards. I gasped loudly when he pushed me to the wall, my back colliding painfully with the dilapidated bricks.

A very sharp shink of a knife was heard — a familiar sound. Scar must've unsheathed his dagger!

And I was right.

A dagger came plunging towards my face. My eyebrows rose in shock and I dodged my head before Scar could stab me backward, through my forehead.

Due to my sudden gesture, my hold on Scar weakened and he pried himself free. I tried to catch him but he kicked me in the stomach again. He kicked me so hard that I slammed into the wall behind me.

I was coughing with an inhumane sound, my throat burning as if someone had lit it on fire. And it was bleeding. I was bleeding from my mouth.

I would've dropped because of weak knees but Scar grabbed my collar and pulled me up, pressing me to the wall. He screamed and tore my mask off.

He was shivering with rage. I could feel it. I could feel how much he resented me, how much he wanted to stab me in the heart.

Gripping his dagger, he plunged it towards my face. I caught the blade of the dagger with my left hand before he slashed my throat.

To exhaust me, he pressed his other elbow on my throat, digging into my windpipe. I could feel it probing into my gut.

I gasped and gagged for air but I didn't let go of the blade of the dagger. My hand was shaking and trembling from holding the blade back for far too long. A trail of blood oozed from my bloody palms down my arms.

I was losing.

Why was I losing?

Scar was managing to inch the blade closer to my neck. The blade was slicing into my hands, drawing blood and cutting through my flesh. A little more and I would lose my hand.

The sting of the blade made me scream in agony, my inability to breathe was affecting my sight; drawing tears that blurred my vision.

I needed a push, a trigger, anything.

Or I would die today.

I would die.

Just like that, as if a miracle had been bestowed upon me by the invisible Gods — Scar said those words.

"Where is Breanna Riley?!"

A surge of electricity shot through my body when his dirty mouth muttered her name — her full name.

Under the flickering lights in the alley, Scar's scar shined with a prominent gleam. His red, fretful eyes were digging deep into my soul. But I'd be damned if my eyes weren't tearing through his soul, more fretfuly so.

His blade touched my skin, my blood kept flowing without any sign of ceasing but my soul was on fire now. I felt the little kick that I needed to go full-on savage on this bitch.

Very slowly, I began to turn his dagger away. His face fell with utter shock as he watched me successfully deflect the blade away from my throat.

My legs came alive again, after being entrapped for too long and I kicked him, with all the vigour — between his legs.

Scar moaned loudly, falling back, completely letting me go.

Meanwhile, my guard was done fighting off the other guy and he ran towards Scar. I held up my hand.

I'll manage. I smirked.

I was is no good state. My entire body was throbbing in pain and the blood from my hand just wouldn't stop flowing. But this was my time.

Gripping Scar's collars, I punched him, kicking him so he fell backwards on the ground. I rained punches on him. I removed my anger, I removed my pain, I removed my hatred on him for saying her name.

I pummelled him with no end in sight. Nothing would stop me. It felt as my own mind would eat itself away.

Leaning down, I screamed in his face, clawing my hands like an animal, a fucking pissed animal.

One last time, I landed a strong, hefty punch on his jaw and his eyes rolled back into his head. He passed out.

My breathing wouldn't settle. I searched his face for a hint of consiousness. There was none.

I had knocked him out cold.

Kneeling on him, I huffed painfully, letting my arms fall on my sides, bleeding uncontrollably. I stared at my enemy's face, his bruised and beaten face and the scar that marked his expressions.

My guard kneeled down beside me, asking for commands as he gripped his shoulder. His should was bleeding too, his arm was immobile. And yet he grabbed a bandana, picked up my wounded hand, and bandaged it up.

The wind felt cold on my blood-clad skin. I was drenched. Drenched in blood. My head fell back as my gaze travelled away towards the night sky.

There was a good number of stars today. What a great time to be alive.

Taking a few deep breaths in, I asked my guard, "What's your name?"

"Enzo, Sir."

I looked at him, wanting to thank him, but no voice came out.

Today, I had lost several men like him. And it was all Scar's doing. I stared back at Scar's unconscious face and knew immediately what I was going to do.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Please do leave a comment or two, and vote if you enjoyed!

I would love to hear your thoughts on this chapter. Did you get what you expected? If not, please tell me ways I can improve this chapter ^^

Oh and btw, we're not done with Scar just yet ;) See y'all in the next chapter!

Love, K!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 410 25
People run away, love doesn't. The woeful life of Rose Barnes is showing no signs of improvement. She's alone in a new city, drowning in debt, with d...
145K 3.8K 24
On the surface, Aiden had it all. Wealth, good looks, and intelligence. But beneath the veneer of masculine perfection lay a broken man. A man obsess...
10K 345 88
| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors, i apologize and i will be editing in th...
35.9M 1.1M 47
"She's hot." "Yeah, I know. I'm kinda jealous..." "I'm gonna ask her out." "Are you crazy? You're asking for a death wish." "What's so wrong with me...