The Decision

By Zroe_z

Six years ago, Lexa Woods made the only decision that she could - she left. Now a twist of fate is bringing h... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 1

4.3K 81 43
By Zroe_z

Lexa was three quarters of the way through an eighteen hour flight from Bangkok to New York. It was strange to think about being in the states again. Six years had passed since she had been sent to Bangkok by her parents to oversee a branch of one of their many businesses. Six years, since she had severed ties with her dearest friends, the people that she had considered her actual family. Six years, since she had broken the heart of her best friend and lover, an amazing woman that she truly loved and hoped that she would one day marry.

Anya: What time does your flight get in?
Lexa: About 11:00am
Anya: Ok. I'll be there.
Lexa: That's not necessary. I've arranged a car.
Lexa: I have a meeting with their lawyers shortly after landing. I'll contact you after.
Anya: Oh. Okay.
Anya: It'll be fine. You know that, right? You'll be fine. Everything will be fine.

Lexa smirked as she stared down at her laptop. Anya was her cousin, her friend and the only person that she had maintained contact with, besides her parents. Her parents...

Less than a week ago Lexa had received the call notifying her of their passing and she still didn't know how to feel about it. On one hand, they were her parents and somehow, she was sure that she must love them. She was supposed to love them, wasn't she? But, on the other hand, they were coldest and cruelest people that she'd even known and they were the reason that she had to leave everything behind. The reason, that she had to leave Clarke.

"Clarke," she whispered to herself, still feeling a familiar ache in her unhealed heart. Extracting a photo from her wallet, Lexa stared down at the pair of them. They were so young and vibrant, so happy and so, undeniably in love, but now that was all gone. Now the only thing between them was time, distance and a hatred that she was quite sure would burn for all eternity. All born of a decision that she shouldn't have had to make, but one that she did, and regardless of the pain in her chest, she knew that it wasn't just the right decision, it was the only decision.

Returning the picture to her wallet and returning her wallet to the breast pocket of her coat Lexa closed her eyes, trying to fend off the random flashes of her last interaction with Clarke and some of the last things her friends had said to her.

***********************************************************************************************

"You can't just leave," Clarke shook her head in disbelief.
"I can and I am," Lexa replied stoically. "My parents need me in Bangkok."
"Your parents don't give a damn about you!" Clarke snapped fiercely. "They barely know anything about you!"
Lexa said nothing, maintaining her emotionless appearance.
"What about us? I need you. I love you. Lexa," Clarke croaked as the tears spilled from her eyes and began streaming down her cheeks "I love you, so fucking much. You said...We said... No! I won't lose you. I can't. I can't!"
"Clarke listen to me, I want you to have a good life. Christ, I want you to have the best life," Lexa kept her tone hard, "but that life – it isn't with me."
"It is! It's always been with you!" Clarke practically screamed. "I don't want anyone else – just you! I don't care how far it is! We'll make it work!"
"I can't say when or if I will ever be back," Lexa said in an even tone, as she walked towards the door. "Even attempting to stay together wouldn't be fair to either of us. We both need to just move on with our lives."
Clarke stepped in her path, her breathing was short and her blue eyes were bloodshot and cloudy. She was so much paler than normal and her body seemed coated in a layer of sweat. She looked sick, so sick. "Please, don't do this."
Lexa felt her eyes gloss slightly, but she set them with determination. "I'm sorry, Clarke." She said softly, and walked out without another word.

Raven: Really, what the fuck is wrong with you?
Bellamy: You said that you wouldn't hurt her.
Lincoln: Bangkok? Lexa, what the hell are you doing?!
Monty: That is just so messed up.
Jasper: You're such an ass!
O: I can't believe that after everything you would do this to her. I know how much she means to you! Everyone know how much you two love each other. You need Clarke, as much as she needs you. Why are you doing this??? Come on, Lexa!

***********************************************************************************************

After the plane touched down, Lexa quickly retrieved her luggage, picked up her car and drove into the city. It was funny to see these streets again. Memories and ghosts of the past lurked around every corner. Finally reaching her destination, Lexa dropped her car off with the valet and walked towards the front doors of the restaurant.

"Game on," she thought and pushed open the doors.

Charles Pike and Dante Wallace were standing at the bar, each holding a glass of brandy and a cigar. They were two of the most pretentious, condescending bastards that Lexa had ever met and not once, had she ever enjoyed being in their company.

"Alexandria, how good to see you again." Dante said as he stepped forward and extended his hand. Lexa didn't take it.
"Welcome Alexandria, how was Bangkok?" Charles questioned.
"Ms. Woods," Lexa quickly corrected them. "I would hardly say that we are on good enough terms for much more than that, and would you put the cigars out, gentlemen? I find them quite offensive."
Both men looked like they had just been slapped. "Yes, of course, of course," Dante said and quickly put out his cigar.
After a second of hesitation and a hard glare from Lexa, Charles followed in suit. "We have lots to go over..."
"I'm not here to go over anything with you. I'm merely here to pick up the paperwork," Lexa interrupted him. "I will read over it all tonight and contact you in the morning."
"Alexandria, I don't think..." Dante began, but froze when Lexa glared at him. He cleared his throat. "Ms. Woods, I don't think you understand how much there is to go over."
"And I don't think that you understand that I am quite capable of reading it myself," Lexa snapped quickly. "I'm sure that both of you are aware that I too, have a law degree."
Both men looked completely affronted, but after a moment, handed over their files and left the bar without another word.

As soon as they were gone Lexa felt her muscles relax a little, but only a little. Scooping up the paperwork, she made her way back to her car. It was time to finally go home.

"Nice to see you again, Ms. Woods," Gustus greeted her as he stood up behind his desk.
"Gus," Lexa replied politely and extended her hand, "you're still here?"
"Yes ma'am," he replied with a kind smile as he shook her hand. "I'll be here as long as they'll have me. Miss Anya has been by several times. I think that you'll find everything in order."
"Thank you, Gustus." Lexa nodded and made her way to the elevator.

She could have sold the space when she left for Bangkok, after all, it was hers. Her parents had bought it for her when she turned eighteen. But, she couldn't part with it, she didn't want to. To her, it was more than just an apartment, it was her home and maintaining it in her absence had been easy enough. The building supplied its own cleaning services and with no one there on a regular basis, the utilities had barely cost her a thing.

After making her preparations to return to the states, Lexa had contacted Anya, asking her if she could restock some of the basic supplies and also to put away any of her personal photographs. She didn't want to look at them.
Finally reaching the door, Lexa took a deep breath and carefully unlocked it. Stepping inside was like stepping back in time. She set her suitcase and briefcase by the door and dropped her coat over the back of one of the large, white sofas as she began to explore. It was the most surreal experience ever. Nearly everything was exactly the way she had left it – even the book she had been reading was still sitting on the coffee table. She shook her head with a grin as she stared at it. Though it had been a very good read, she had never been able to bring herself to finish it. Maybe someday?

As she moved through the apartment, Lexa cautiously glanced into her old music room, her eyes falling on her piano as she rubbed the scar on her hand. She hadn't played in years and her fingers almost itched to finally do so again. Shaking her head quickly, she moved on to the kitchen where she could hear a light hum coming from the refrigerator and opening it she found that Anya had gone above and beyond just picking up the basics. Grabbing a beer, Lexa closed the door and went to peek inside of the cabinets, finding basically the same thing, they were practically stocked full. Minus the personal touch of life, no one would have ever been able to tell that this apartment had been lying empty for the past six years.

Tossing the bottle cap into the trash, Lexa took a deep breath and decided that it was time – time to see what the last six years had bought her, or maybe even cost her. She went and retrieved the paperwork from her briefcase and sat down at her desk with a sigh.

Hours later, the sun was beginning to set as Lexa sat at her desk with tears streaming down her cheeks and a light smile playing on her face. Everything was hers. She had complete control of everything, and there were no stipulations. She had actually done it. After spending the last six years focusing on nothing except working hard and pleasing her parents, both professionally and personally, now, she was finally free.

Walking over to the windows, Lexa stared out over the city. In just a couple of days, all of the paperwork would be finalized and her parents would be buried. After all this time, there would be no one to tell her what her life was or should be, it would be whatever she made it and whatever she wanted it to be. It would be hers – just hers. Where it would take her, she couldn't even begin to wonder, not yet, but she was ready for it.

She had so many things at tend to over the next few days, but right now her mind was beginning to flood with the endless possibilities that her new life would offer her. Lexa was so lost in the thought of how strange it would all be that she didn't even notice how much time had gone by or hear the door open behind her.

"Get your scrawny ass over here and give me a hug!" Anya ordered as she entered the room.
Lexa turned and gave her a playful look. "I will have know, that my ass is just fine – more than fine," she said as scooped her into a tight embrace. "You look amazing."
"Me?" Anya exclaimed, taking a step back, but keeping a firm hold on her shoulders. "Look at you!"
Lexa's mouth twitched lightly. "Shall we eat?" She questioned, nodding towards the pizza that Anya had apparently set on the table.
"Thought you'd appreciate that," Anya grinned.
"Very much so," Lexa nodded quickly. She'd been dying for a good piece of pizza for ages.

Lounging out in the living room, they gorged themselves on pizza and sipped on several beers while they chatted well into the night. This was just one of the many things that Lexa had missed.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened with the jackals?" Anya finally questioned.
"I sent them away," Lexa answered simply, as she tossed a piece of pizza crust into the empty box on the table.
"Sent them away?" Anya questioned her curiously.
"I wanted to look everything over without them," Lexa explained with a nod. "I needed to digest it on my own."
"And??" Anya could barely contain herself.
Lexa's lips twitched a little. "I own and control everything," she told her.
"Are there any stipulations?" Anya questioned quickly. Of course that would be her first question.
Lexa shook her head. "None," responded in short.
"Un. Fucking. Believable." Anya said standing up, clearly shocked. "You did it."
"Apparently, I did," Lexa sighed as she rubbed her eyes.
"So, what's your first order of business then?" Anya asked. "After, well, you know..."
"New legal representation," Lexa answered as she too got to her feet and eyed her cousin.
Anya eyed her right back, waiting patiently for her to continue.
"You're one hell of an attorney, Anya," Lexa began to pace. "I need another hand and there's no one that I'd trust more. I'll double what you're making. Triple it, if need be. Whatever you want or need...."
Anya's eyes sharpened, but she smiled. "Stop," she interrupted and held up her and. "You've already got me."
"Thank you." Lexa nodded, obviously pleased. "Will you be staying tonight?"
"No, I think I'll go," Anya answered as she slipped back into her heels. "After all, I have resignation to hand in first thing tomorrow."
"Indeed. I'll call a meeting with Pike and Wallace in the morning," Lexa said as she began cleaning up their dinner. "You'll be present?"
Anya released a wide smile, her eyes sparkling devilishly. "I wouldn't miss it," she answered and after placing a quick kiss on the top of Lexa's head, she let herself out.

Lexa stared down the long hallway. She hadn't yet been able to bring herself to venture into her old bedroom. Truth be told, she was afraid of what stepping through that door might do to her, and now was not the time to turn weak.

"No rest for the wicked," she mumbled to herself and returned to her desk.

Hours later Lexa was still pouring over paperwork, familiarizing herself with accounts, names, dates and faces. While she had worked very close with her father, she knew that there was still a lot that she was unfamiliar with, still a lot that she needed to know. Her parents had spent decades building an empire and now that Lexa was the face of it, she was determined not only to be successful, but to make changes. Her parents passing had brought her a great amount of power, but she wasn't going to use that power the way her parents had. She would do better, be better.

Peeling herself away from the desk, Lexa glanced at the clock, 2:34am. She knew that she needed to sleep. She had barely slept a wink since receiving the call about her parents. Slowly she made her way down the hall and grabbed the knob on her bedroom door. She stood there for a moment, debating. "Just do it," she told herself and turned the knob, but fear gripped her and she couldn't. Letting go of the knob she instead went back into the living room and poured herself a drink.

Clicking on her playlist on her phone, she stripped off her button down, she leaned back on the sofa, trying to fend off the thoughts of Clarke that were threatening to enter her mind. She was fighting a losing battle though and her thoughts oddly took her back to a day, shortly after she had met Clarke.

***********************************************************************************************

Lexa was sitting in a studying with Lincoln and Anya when her phone began going off. Looking down, she found a chat notification from Clarke.

Clarke: Get together on Friday?? Our place??
Lexa: Get together with who?

O: Uh, with us. Hello??
Raven: Yeah – who else would it be? Everyone coming?
Jasper: I'm in.
Bellamy: Me too.

"What the hell?" Lexa muttered to herself as she stared at the screen.

Lexa: Why am I in this conversation?
Clarke: I added you.
Raven: More like claimed you.
Lexa: Claimed me??
O: It's true.
Clarke: Yeah. I did.
Lexa: So, now everyone has my contact information?
O: Pretty much how it works with us.

Lexa rolled her eyes and sighed. Unbelievable.

Lexa: Great.
Bellamy: You'll get used to it.
Monty: It's their favorite way to communicate.
Lexa: Brilliant.
Clarke: Shut up, guys. Lexa!!! Will you come????
Raven: Yeah, come on!
Lexa: I'm supposed to have a date.
Clarke: You do??? With who??
Clarke: Why did I not know about this?? I should know these things!

Lexa felt her brow furrow at she stared down at her phone for a few minutes.
"What is happening over there?" Lincoln whispered curiously.

Lexa: Um?
O: Claimed, remember??
Lexa: Oh, right.
Clarke: Lexa???
Lexa: What?
Clarke: Who is he??? Where'd you meet? Where's he taking u???

Lexa looked at her phone. This was going to go one of two ways, really good or really bad. Her brow furrowed slightly. "Well, at least I'll get all the birds with one stone," she thought.

Lexa: It's a blind date. I only know her name – Emori.
Clarke: Wait, what??
Raven: OMG! Clarke the look on your face! You're so red!!!
O: You really are! Lol
Clarke: Shut up!
Clarke: Lexa, you're gay? Why didn't you tell me?
Lexa: I didn't realize it would be a problem.
Clarke: What? No, no – it's not a problem.
O: Yeah – it's totally not.
Clarke: But, you don't look gay...
Raven: Did you really just say that?
Bellamy: Clarke, really?
Clarke: No – I didn't mean it like that!!!!

Lexa smirked, shaking her head lightly. She hadn't known Clarke for very long, but she could already picture her getting extremely flustered on the other side of the screen.

Lexa: Perhaps I should start wearing more flannel?
Raven: HAHAHA!!! Brilliant idea!
Clarke: No. I love your clothes! Will you come on Friday? After your date?
Raven: Yeah, come on!
Clarke: Please!!!
Lexa: I suppose.
Clarke: Yay!
Raven: Sweet!
Bellamy: Can't wait to meet you.
Monty: Me too!

Lexa put her phone away, but then had another thought.

Lexa: Mind if I bring a couple friends?
Clarke: Who??
Lexa: My friend Lincoln, you met him already, and my cousin, Anya.
O: Is Lincoln the guy who was with you the night you and Clarke met??
Lexa: Yes.
O: Ok.
Clarke: Who's red now?
Raven: Hahahaha!
O: Shut up!!

Lexa chuckled and put her phone away. "You two are coming to a party with me on Friday," she said as she pulled another textbook in front of her.
"You have a date on Friday, idiot," Anya reminded her as she casually flipped through her notes.
"After," Lexa said without looking up.
Anya looked up. "You're doing a date and party all in one night?" She asked, as though she must be misunderstanding.
"I am" Lexa nodded.
"Where's the party?" Lincoln asked.
"At Clarke's." Lexa answered simply.
"The sandwich girl?" Lincoln shot out. "From a couple of weeks ago?
"Sandwich girl?" Anya echoed, clearly confused.
"Anya, it was the craziest thing I've ever seen," Lincoln smiled and shook his head. "We were having lunch and this girl just shows up, clearly knowing nothing about personal space. She has the most random conversation with Lexa ever, takes a bite of her sandwich and then, just leaves," he motioned to Lexa. "She barely even flinched."
Anya cocked an eyebrow and looked curiously at her cousin. "Really?"
"It didn't bother me," Lexa shook her head and sighed. "That's just how Clarke is," she explained, "she's very, tangible."
"And you're the polar opposite," Anya chuckled as she leaned forward. "Does my little cousin have a little crush?"
"Stop it. We're friends," Lexa huffed. "We just - get each other. Okay? It's different. It's easy," she finished and turned her attention back to her textbook.
Anya smirked at Lincoln. "This should be interesting," she said as she returned her focus to her book.

Friday night came quickly, and Lexa found herself standing in front of Clarke's apartment with Anya and Lincoln.

"Quit lurking, Commander," Raven said as she came up behind them.
"I wasn't lurking," Lexa insisted as she straightened her stance even further, "and don't call me that. I have a name," she added firmly.
"You were, and look at you – it suits you," Raven grinned and when Lexa didn't respond she turned to Anya. "Seriously, does this girl ever smile?"
"Maybe when she has gas," Anya suggested playfully. "Isn't that is what makes babies smile?"
"Shut it," Lexa glared.
Raven smirked and extended her hand to Anya. "Raven Reyes."
"Anya Woods," Anya said, shaking her hand. "Perhaps a drink would loosen her up," she added, jerking her head towards Lexa.
"I know just the man. Well, maybe not quite a man," Raven grinned playfully. "Follow me," she said and turned back toward the building.

A moment later they burst through the front door.
"Look who I found lurking outside," Raven announced loudly as she dragged Lexa through the door, with Anya and Lincoln following closely behind. "Your broody, new friend."
"Lexa!" Clarke's face lit up.
"Follow me," Raven said to the trio quickly. "I'll introduce you to everyone. Ok so, these two fools sitting on the floor are Jasper and Monty," she said and rubbed Monty's head. "Jasper, will you make this girl a drink?"
Monty waved and Jasper got to his feet. "Sure thing," he said rather quickly.
"Oh, hell no, you don't!" Clarke said as she also got to her feet. "I'll get it."
"Clarke! I'm heartbroken!" Jasper said, grabbing his chest, his blue eyes wide. "You don't trust me."
"Ha. I know you," Clarke scoffed playfully and looked at Lexa. "He makes crazy strong drinks," she told her quietly.
"Got it, "Lexa nodded, her eyes falling on a boy lounging a chair close to her.
"Then he can make mine," Anya stated firmly.
"Ah, a girl who can handle her liquor," Raven grinned and popped her eyebrows. "I like it. Okay. Moving on, that's Finn," she explained, pointing to the boy in the chair. "Clarke's boyfriend, but generally speaking, he thinks he's God's gift to all women."
Finn released a somewhat sleazy grin. "How you doing?"
A man with wavy brown hair and large dark eyes stepped in front of them. "I'm Bellamy. Octavia's brother," he interrupted and Lexa was grateful. She didn't like the way Finn had looked at her.
"Yes, my annoying, older brother," Octavia chimed in, but her eyes were on Lincoln.
"You love me, O," Bellamy smiled earnestly. "We're getting ready to play cards. You guys in?"
"Sure," Lexa replied as Clarke returned and handed her a drink. She took a quick sip. "Oh, that's awful," she said as her face twisted up.
"It's just rum and diet coke," Clarke shrugged.
Lexa's eyebrows went up. "Do I look like I need diet anything?" She asked, motioning to her body.
Clarke released a laugh and nudged her before dropping back into her seat.

The card game went on for quite a while and by the end everyone seemed to be getting along great.

"We need food," Bellamy stated as he flopped down on the couch next to Clarke, brushing his curly brown bangs from his eyes and smiling stupidly. "Order some food?"
"O, will you order some pizza?" Clarke called out.
"Ask Raven to do it!" Octavia yelled back.
Clarke shook her head, her blonde waves bouncing on her shoulders and got up from the couch.
"So, what's your story?" Bellamy asked Lexa when Clarke was out of earshot.
"No story," Lexa answered and shook her head. "Clarke and I met at a party a couple weeks ago. I walked her home and after that, according to your sister, she claimed me. Now, I'm here."
"Clarke is good people. She's got a huge heart," Bellamy's mouth widened into a smile. "Seems like she's taken to you pretty quick."
"It appears that we understand each other," Lexa nodded stiffly.
"I can see that," Bellamy said and got up. "You seem alright."
"As do you," Lexa nodded again.
Bellamy turned to walk away but, his eyes found Octavia and Lincoln. "I think your friend likes my sister."
Lexa glanced at them. "I think your sister likes my friend," she responded with a short shrug.
"Hmm," he hummed and walked away.

Bellamy definitely gave off that big brother vibe, and though it stuck out the most with Octavia, it was obvious that he had that same stance for the entire group.

Suddenly Raven popped up from behind the couch. "Don't mind Bellamy, he's just sizing you up," she explained as she hopped over the back of the couch, landing next to Lexa with a thump.
"Why?" Lexa questioned curiously.
"Well, we're all really protective of each other – we're a family," Raven explained, motioning to her friends. "Well, except for Finn. He doesn't really spend a lot of time with us like this. He's just here because he's got wood for Clarke."
"Great visual," Lexa pinched the bridge of her nose.
"Not really," Raven laughed and wiggled a pinky in the air.
"You and Finn?" Lexa questioned.
"It was a long time ago," Raven waved her hand. "A very drunk night – no big deal," she said getting to her feet.
"And you're okay with them?" Lexa was slightly surprised.
"My biggest issue is thinking she deserves better," Raven shrugged simply.
"I don't like him," Lexa said, shocking herself, but it was true. There was something about him. Something in the way he carried himself and the way his eyes shifted around the room. She had already caught him checking her and Anya out several times. Not only did she not like him, she didn't trust him
Raven grinned at her as she leaned down. "I knew there was a reason that I liked you," she winked and walked off.

Later, as they ate their pizza, Clarke leaned against Lexa. "So, how was your date?"
"It was fine," Lexa stated with a slight shrug.
"I have to tell you, you didn't really strike me as the blind date type," Clarke admitted.
Lexa swallowed hard and pointed across the room at Anya. "Her fault," she replied.
Clarke gave her a questioning look.
Lexa shifted slightly and shrugged. "My last relationship didn't end well, so," she explained.
"Oh. I understand. Listen, I'm sorry about what I said, about you not looking...." Clarke began to ramble. "I didn't mean....well, I did, because well, look at you, but..."
"Look at me?" Lexa questioned, feeling suddenly amused.
"Uh, yeah - Lexa, you're totally hot," Clarke explained as her cheeks flushed a little. "Not just like attractive, but like, stunningly attractive."
"Clarke, your dumb is showing," Raven warned, causing the redness in Clarke's cheeks to deepen. "Though there is no denying your hotness, Commander," she added with a grin.
Lexa gaped a little at her statement as the entire room nodded in agreement.
"Stop stereotyping," Octavia said suddenly, throwing a tiny scrap of pizza crust at Clarke.
"I'm not. I didn't mean it like that. I just meant...I don't know," Clarke huffed in defeat and pouted. "Sorry. God, my dumb is showing."
Lexa shook her head lightly as she stared at her. "I don't think that you're dumb," she told her quietly and smiled.
A warm smile equally spread across Clarke's face as her blue eyes met Lexa's green ones.
"Give it time," Raven playfully quipped with a nod and Clarke elbowed her in the ribs, causing everyone in the room to laugh.

Anya: You like her.
Lexa: Stop it. We're just friends.
Anya: Be that as it may, you like her.
Lexa: It's not like that. Leave it alone.
Anya: Not a fuckin chance, Commander.

Lexa's eyes snapped up and she glared across the room at Anya, who just smirked and cocked her eyebrow. Raven was standing next to her wearing and equally smug smirk.

Lexa: Being friends with her has been so easy. Please, don't fuck with it.
Anya: You smiled.
Lexa: What?
Anya: You SMILED.

Lexa looked up at Anya and Raven again. Both nodded.

***********************************************************************************************

Lexa's eyes shot open. She was still on the couch and the sun was just starting to peak through the windows. Her eyes were burning and she couldn't catch her breath. Suddenly her stomach lurched violently and she leapt off the couch as fast as she could and ran for the bathroom where she proceeded to deposit the entire contents of her stomach into the toilet.

She had known that being back would unleash memories and feelings that she had buried long go. It made sense. This was her home. The years she had spent here had been the best of her life. What she didn't know was the toll that they were apparently going to take on her, both emotionally and physically as well.

The next few days passed by so quickly that Lexa felt lost in the haze of it all. Now she found herself standing at the bar with a drink in hand, trying to prepare herself for the repast that was already beginning in the room to the right. The restaurant was full of people, several events were apparently taking place tonight. She didn't want to be there, she didn't want to make small talk and receive false sympathies or go through the motions of lovingly remembering her parents. She was just beginning to contemplate slipping out when Anya appeared at her side. "You're not leaving me here alone," she told her in a stern, but also playful voice.
"You know me too well." Lexa smirked and took a sip of her drink.

As soon as the glass left her lips a sound filled Lexa's ears and caused her blood to run cold. Laughter. Though it had been years since she had last heard it, Lexa had no doubt who it belonged to. Turning slowly, her breath caught in her chest as her eyes fell on a group of people were passing by. Some she didn't recognized, but others she did and now there in front of her, close enough to touch, stood Octavia, Raven, Lincoln and a suddenly frozen Clarke.

Swallowing hard, Lexa squared her shoulders. "Hello Clarke," she said, with her jaw set. "How are you?"
Clarke reacted instantly and responded by spitting in her face. "You bitch," she yelled, causing Anya to step between them and her friends to pull her away. "How dare you..." Lexa heard Clarke say as they rounded the corner and disappeared.

"Angry. Obviously angry, stupid," Lexa said to herself as she pulled out a handkerchief and wiped off her face. "Fuck," she muttered before quickly turning on her heel and walking away.

As Lexa hit the street, her feet just couldn't carry her fast enough. A fire of anxiety was quickly spreading across her body and it was threatening to consumer her. This was neither the time, nor place for her to lose her composer. She had to get away. She had to...

"Alexandria Woods, you stop right there!" Another familiar voice rang through the night air and just like that, Lexa froze. She turned slowly and found a furious Abigail Griffin making her way down the sidewalk.
"Why would you do that to her?" Abby asked harshly. "Tonight of all nights?"
Lexa shook her head. This was so not supposed to happen. "Abby, I had no..." she began, but didn't get to finish her sentence because a fist abruptly collided with her face, causing the brow above her left eye to burst.
"I told you I'd kick your ass!" Raven roared angrily.
"Sonofa..." Lexa breathed painfully as she stepped back, pulling out her handkerchief again and pressing it to the wound.
Raven raised her fist, which was also bleeding, again.
"Step away, Raven!" Anya's voice rang out and stepped between them. "Touch her again and I promise you, I will have your snarky ass charged with assault."
"You have no right, Anya!" Raven glared at her.
"As her attorney, I can assure you, I do," Anya countered, tightening her jaw and causing her high cheekbones to appear even sharper.
"God damn it!" Raven lashed out verbally.
Abby placed a calming hand on Raven's arm. "Why did you come here, Lexa? After all this time?" She pushed, clearly upset. "Clarke's supposed to be in there happily celebrating her engagement, not reliving an old heartbreak."
As Lexa's head snapped up, the blood ran freely down her temple. "Her engage...." her voice trailed off as her eyes slipped out of focus. Swallowing the lump that had suddenly developed in her throat, Lexa recovered quickly and composed herself. She cleared her throat. "Abby, I can assure you that I was completely unaware that Clarke would be here. Please, extend both my apologies and best wishes to her," she said stoically and giving them one final nod, she turned and walked away.

When she was finally out of earshot, Anya turned back to Raven. "You didn't have to hit her," she told her.
"She's had that coming for years," Raven huffed angrily, her chest still heaving.
"Perhaps," Anya acknowledged with a slight smirk, "but still, you didn't have to."
Raven was still shaking her head. "Why didn't you stop her?"
"She didn't know..."Anya began.
"Whatever!" Raven interrupted. "She knew exactly what she was doing. She just wanted to fuck with Clarke! And..."
Anya shook her head. "She wouldn't do that," she cut her off.
"Oh bullshit!" Raven snapped.
"I'm telling you, she wouldn't," Anya said firmly, clearly getting aggravated. "She wasn't even planning on having a repast until my father asked her to last night. I know – I was there. When he finally got her to agree, she told him to handle all of the details. She didn't even know where we were going until we got here!"
"Repast?" Abby asked quickly.
"Don't any of you watch the news?" Anya couldn't help the eye roll that followed, but then she sighed. "It's for her parents. They were killed last week in an accident, out on the West Coast," she explained. "That's why she's here."
Abby shot Raven a typical mom look.
"Well, how was I supposed to know?" Raven said as she crossed her arms in a huff.
Anya shook her head and took out her phone. "I'm sorry, I have to go," she said turning on her heel.
"Of course you do," Raven shook her head.
"You know, as awful as things might appear, Clarke's heart wasn't the only one that broke that night," Anya swallowed hard, she had had quite enough of everyone crucifying her cousin. Her eyes dropped to Raven's hand, which was still bleeding freely. "You should have that looked at," she added, then turned and marched off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

701K 24.7K 65
Clarke can't deal with the guilt she is carrying from the events at Mount Weather. Can Lexa help her through or will this burden stay with her forev...
130K 3.7K 46
Clarke Griffin moves to a new town after her dads death Lexa Woods has a haunted past and is the schools uptight stone cold bitch But something about...
Good Things By a

Fanfiction

244K 7.3K 34
When Clarke Griffin moves from her hometown to a city full of life and adventure far away, she has to rebuild herself in a new school and new friends...
25.6K 1.7K 81
A Modern Clexa AU Clarke Griffin is a high level executive whose dreams is to be happy and do whatever she wants. However, she can't afford to make m...