Always

By MaramM8423

"It's real, Kyler. Some people don't get their happy endings. Some lovers don't end up together in any life."... More

always
playlist + aesthetics
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
epilogue
bonus chapter
other books

eight

4K 114 45
By MaramM8423

KYLER

I wasn't surprised when Aiden came banging on my door at the ass-crack of dawn the next morning. I forced a monotonous expression as Mom let him in, trying--and failing--to hide her annoyance. I could tell even he was holding back his laughter at that.

He reached my bedroom before I did, flopping down onto his stomach in the middle of my bed.

"You know, I always thought that what people said about forgetting their friends once they get in a relationship was plain bullshit but damn, you really proved them right." He mumbled into the pillow.

I rolled my eyes, grabbing a pillow from the floor and smacking him with it. "Shut up."

He leaned up on his elbows, raising his eyebrows at me. "So you're denying the fact that you ditched hanging out with Sam and me last night just to take your girl out."

I groaned, falling back onto my desk chair. "I didn't ditch you. I already told you I wasn't in the mood to drink." I paused, my gaze flickering to the window for just a millisecond. "And she's not my girl."

"Not yet." He pointed, laughing when I flipped him off.

"She's just a friend." My heart warmed at the thought. A friend. I liked that. Shifting in my seat so I was straddling my chair, I eyed him carefully. "How come you're not hungover. It's-" I looked at the clock, "-seven in the fucking morning."

"After you decided to ditch us," he shot me a look before stuffing his face in the pillow again, "Sam said she didn't want to get drunk without you. And I didn't want to get drunk alone."

I chuckled at that. Sam's all-or-none strategy usually got me into doing everything she wanted simply because I felt bad that they'd cancel if I wasn't there. But last night, I simply couldn't budge.

We fell into silence and I found my eyes drifting back to the window. The curtains were drawn. I didn't have it in me to draw them back this morning.

My hands itched to grab my phone and call her. I doubted she was asleep. She was probably finishing one of those novels she had grabbed yesterday or writing in that journal I had seen her carry around in school. She might even be finishing off some school work. A smile found its way to my face.

"Are you going to hang out with her again?" My gaze snapped back to Aiden. He was sitting up now, staring at the spot where I had just been staring. He didn't seem angry that I had ditched them last night, and I knew he wouldn't mind if I did it again.

"Yeah." I found myself answering, although I wasn't sure. I wanted to spend the day with her again. It was Saturday. She didn't have any classes but she might just have plans with someone else. And wouldn't it be too overwhelming for her if I dragged her to hang with me just a few hours after our previous hang out. "But I don't know."

"Stop overthinking it." He narrowed his eyes at me before letting out a sigh. "Don't start doubting yourself over a girl, Kyler. It's not worth it."

"I'm not-" I started but the knowing look he shot towards me made me clamp my lips shut.

"You want her to like you." It wasn't a question. "And she will. Don't push yourself so much."

I turned back to the window, my mind whirring and I realised that he was right.

I just wanted her to like me.

***

me: are you up?

luna: yes.

me: let's go somewhere.

The three dots appeared momentarily and I held my breath, waiting for her answer. It was just about one in the morning, clearly an odd time to be asking someone to go somewhere with you. I chewed on my bottom lip, hoping she wouldn't be creeped out.

The dots disappeared. I heard the muffled sound of a window opening.

Dropping my phone, I walked over to my window and pushed the curtains aside. Jade green eyes swam in my vision first and then my gaze fell on the soft smile on her lips, matching the one on mine.

I pulled my window open, hoisting myself so I was sitting on the ledge with my legs dangling over the edge. "Hey."

"Hey." Luna whispered, leaning against the window pane. We stared at each other for a moment. I opened my mouth to say something but she beat me to it. "Where do you want to go tonight?"

"That's a surprise." Her eyebrows furrowed at the cryptic meaning and I held back my laughter as I jumped back into my room. "I'll meet you downstairs in five." And without waiting for her reply, I shut my window, grabbed my jacket and my copy of Romeo and Juliet and carefully tiptoed down the stairs and out the door.

It didn't take her long to get there either. I was just starting my car when, from the corner of my eye, I saw the door to her house open and she walked out. She was dressed in a white sweater and sweatpants and her hair was pulled back into a ponytail at her nape. Clearly she wasn't expecting to leave the house. She was adorable.

She spotted my car and made her way over quickly, slipping into the passenger's seat. Without wasting any breath, she voiced, "Where are we going?"

I clamped my lips together to hold back my laugh. "Somewhere."

She opened her mouth, clearly ready to argue with me but before she could, I turned up the radio and began driving.

She remained silent throughout and as the seconds passed, my anxiety grew. I never took people there. Why was I taking her there?

Because we were friends. And because I knew she'd like it.

It didn't take long to reach it.

"Where are we?" Luna's voice was soft, almost nervous.

I licked my lips. "My favourite place." That was all the explanation I gave her as I slipped out of the car, waiting for her to follow suit. After a few breaths, she exited too and took a look around.

We were parked near an alley next to an abandoned old building. Paint chipped from the side of it, and the doors and windows were beaten down and broken to pieces.

I began walking, leading her to the side of the building where a rusted railing lay. And beside that railing were a bunch of stairs leading all the way up the building. I climbed up, hearing her hesitant footsteps follow. My heart slammed against my chest with each step.

Why was I taking her there?

Because it was my favourite place. And it felt right to share it with her.

The rooftop was an open space, having nothing but hard pavement there. Broken bits of wood lay in one corner and sometimes, I would use the kindling for a fire when the nights got too long and cold. An old backpack rested near the wood and I walked over, distracting myself by rummaging through it. I felt her eyes on me throughout.

Curling my hands around the pieces of paper and the novel, I finally turned back around. Her eyes were trained on me carefully, giving nothing away of how she felt or what she was thinking.

"It's not much." I started, scratching the back of my neck. "But it's secluded and...quiet. It gives a lot of time to just-" I cut off.

"Just be?" She provided. I swallowed before nodding. Her lips twitched into a surprising smile. "I get it."

I exhaled a breath. She got it.

She turned on her spot, looking around quickly. Her smile widened. "I like it." Then she turned back to me. "You sure have a lot of sentimental spots, don't you?" She teased.

I rolled my eyes but couldn't fight the small smile.

"Let's write." I said abruptly, sitting down on the ground and spreading out the pages and pencils and setting the copy of Shakespeare's play nearby. Luna frowned, before following suit and sitting opposite to me so we could face each other. I loved that.

"Write what?" She was hesitant, but interested. It was a win in my book.

"How about Romeo and Juliet--"I laughed as she scrunched her nose-- "but with a twist of our own."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, a new version. Something you might like."

"How about," She started, staring out into the sky, "After Juliet dies. Romeo can't bring her back and he can't join her. Romeo has to live with the pain and dread of his lover being gone forever."

I doubled back, blinking. "Luna, that's horrible." And scary. And worrying.

"It's real, Kyler. Some people don't get their happy endings. Some lovers don't end up together in any life." She paused, her voice softening. "It's just the way the world is."

She sighed a breath. "The ending to Romeo and Juliet was something the world would want, right? A sad ending for the rest but a happy one for the lovers." She picked at a loose thread on her sweater. "I don't like stories like that. I don't want a story like that."

I remained silent, taking her words in. It all seemed... too raw. Too personal. But I wouldn't push it.

I found myself reaching out and took us both by surprise when I gripped her hand in mine. "We don't have to be what the world wants us to be, Luna. We can be whoever we want to be."

She drew a breath and I paused. Her grip on my hand tightened.

"We can write our own story, with our own endings." I whispered. "Fuck the world."

She smiled a hesitant smile. Then grinned. "Yeah." She whispered back. "Fuck the world."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.7K 368 57
"Fuck." He whispers into my neck, sending a thrill of excitement through my body. His lips still smothered kisses over my neck and his hands roamed...
440 71 20
I didn't know a meeting could change all my perspective of life. It's like I'm stuck in a romance kind of movie. Everything is PERFECT. But I'm afrai...
1.2M 25.7K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
14K 378 15
In the solitude of unrequited love, I have danced alone, weaving dreams that were doomed from the start. Each step I took towards you was like naviga...